PDA

View Full Version : Racoon and Injury Story

CSIRider
09-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Dearest Forum Friends -

For the past 18 years, except when it has been icy or extremely cold, I have ridden my bike almost every morning for about an hour and a half, between 5:30-7:00. I have good lighting set and almost never have had a problem with falls or accidents. Creepy as it sounds, I LOVE this time of the day.

While it is dark, I ride slowly, allowing my knees to warm-up, and later when daylight arrives and I can see clearly, I crank hard, get a great cardio workout, lots of clean air, and always feel good by the time I get home.

In any case, a month ago a large (I'm guessing a pregnant female) racoon suddenly shot out in front of me. I had no time to react, struck her in the midsection and went down very hard on my right buttocks.

The swelling was immediate, and a truckload of ice would not have retarded the onset of a huge and sickeningly grotesque bruise. This plus several lumpy hematomas. After three days I went to the ER - no fractures but a bent coccyx (possibly secondary to the trauma).

Since then the bruising and pain have largely disappeared, but I quite don't know what to make of the lumpy hematomas. Sitting and lying flat on my back are difficult because of these additions to my backside. (Very strange feeling when prone - almost like medium-sized packets of materials stuck to you)

Internet searches really haven't helped that much; they've run the gamut from the hematomas willl go away when resorbed by the body (often after a long time), to stories people have written describing chronic and sometimes terrible pain, even after trying several different treatment approaches.

That said, thank goodness cycling is not a problem at all, and in fact, seems to sooth the discomfort.

Nonetheless, the "lumps" are a noticable distraction and concern. As always, any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

JohnS
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Come on! Be like tch and others and post pics...NOT! :p

Kevan
09-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm still sporting a hematoma on my left hip from a crash I did back in May. I suspect I'll be dealing with my lump for more than a year, that's just how it goes for me.

Now here's a story. I had another experience with a hematoma about 10 years ago rollerblading. Like you, I crashed hard on my right cheek, but there was a slight snag. See... the weekend this happened to me was the same weekend I was supposed to be driving my living room couch. The Thursday before I had gotten myself snipped and was told to stay off my feet, rest-relax, and apply ice. But there was this terrific salel on rollerblades and I was all hot to trot to buy a pair. My wife wasn't sure it was a good idea but I told her I'd be fine and not over do it. Saturday went without accident. Well, Sunday I over did it, fell, and was probably sporting a bruise similar to the one you're wearing right now. Damn ugly, ain't it? What I was terrified about was my follow-up visit with the doctor the coming Tuesday, dropping my drawers, and him seeing the massive bruise on the back side. As it happened I managed to hide my accident while he confirmed that other parts of my body were healing properly. In hindsight (get it?!)... I should have turned around and asked if this massive bruising of the backside ever happened to any of his other patients. Imagine his reaction...

Anyway, the brusing took weeks to disappear, but I sat on a knot for probably 2 years until finally it went away. The hematoma I'm sporting now has been thoroughly checked out. Sometimes it causes me some mild discomfort, even some localized heat-like feeling, but I manage to get by and my cycling hasn't been encumbered.

Hopw this helps. Heal fast.

William
09-29-2006, 05:41 AM
Yeah but....what about the Racoon?????? :confused:

William ;)

Kevan
09-29-2006, 09:35 AM
he fell back in his room.

You know that!

William
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
he fell back in his room.

You know that!

Do you think he found gideons bible?

William

ClutchCargo
09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah but....what about the Racoon?????? :confused:
William ;)

raccoon

really, now. :rolleyes:

William
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
raccoon

really, now. :rolleyes:
http://www.ghostwheel.com/images/albino-dom_1.jpg
A Racoon is what you call a drunk Albino Raccoon......at least that what BD and I named them last time we were on a binge together...<BURP>. :beer:

William :rolleyes: ;)

CNY rider
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
snipped... See... the weekend this happened to me was the same weekend I was supposed to be driving my living room couch. The Thursday before I had gotten myself snipped and was told to stay off my feet, rest-relax, and apply ice.

Now tell me Sandy doesn't have a big goofy grin on his face right now reading this!

ClutchCargo
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
A Racoon is what you call a drunk Albino Raccoon......at least that what BD and I named them last time we were on a binge together...<BURP>. :beer:

William :rolleyes: ;)

Ahh, so. I learn something new every day! :)

BumbleBeeDave
10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Twenty years ago while covering (photographing) a local minor league baseball game from behind first base, a foul line drive hit the inside of my right ankle and made a large hematoma. Eventually my doc had to lance and drain it because he said if he didn't the old blood would calcify and be there permanently. It was ugly stuff after being in there two weekss or so--not liquid any more and he had to massage it out through the incision.

Now I know that sounds gross, but you might consider asking your doc if this is an option or even perhaps necessary. I'm not sure if medically a hematoma will be reabsorbed more easily in a fatty tissue area like the buttocks or not. The one in my ankle had to be taken care of because that's an area with very little fat and poor circulation.

BBD