PDA

View Full Version : Selle Italia?

PNW
01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
I am sure many here have experience with the saddles and am curious about trying one. Is there a model of theirs that typically works well for the general public? The Flight caught my eye but they also have a gel version. Currently I’m riding a Romin Evo but was wondering.

Thanks ahead!

shovelhd
01-10-2018, 11:28 AM
I recently switched from Specialized Toupes to Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow. It's a flat saddle like the Toupe, so no flip like the Romin. I'm happy with it. One thing you will find about Selle Italia is that they have a gazillion models with lengthy names. Look close at the specs before you buy.

PNW
01-10-2018, 12:20 PM
I recently switched from Specialized Toupes to Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow. It's a flat saddle like the Toupe, so no flip like the Romin. I'm happy with it. One thing you will find about Selle Italia is that they have a gazillion models with lengthy names. Look close at the specs before you buy.

Like a million models..yeah

tuxbailey
01-10-2018, 12:53 PM
I used the SLR Gel Flow Max. I have used Toupe, Romin, Arione, Aliante, Flite but this one fits the bill.

KarlC
01-10-2018, 01:16 PM
I really like my selle italia slr tekno flow saddle, wish I could find another one for a great price.

OtayBW
01-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I recently switched from Specialized Toupes to Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Flow. It's a flat saddle like the Toupe, so no flip like the Romin. I'm happy with it. One thing you will find about Selle Italia is that they have a gazillion models with lengthy names. Look close at the specs before you buy.That's all I've ridden for years. For my anatomy, best saddle I've ever been on - hands down. I never think about saddle issues on any ride...

jlwdm
01-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Three bikes and three Flite Kit Carbonio Flow for me. Saddles are very personal though. I have ridden various flite models since 1995.

Jeff

93KgBike
01-10-2018, 05:38 PM
My favorite long ride saddle is an older SLC Gel Flow that I wish I could have afforded two of at the time. It's the only saddle I feel doesn't punish me when I am exhausted.

Tickdoc
01-10-2018, 05:46 PM
For one who has never really ridden one much, which model is closest to an arione? (Asking for a friend ;)

sales guy
01-10-2018, 06:14 PM
When looking at the saddles check the length and width numbers. that will help you get the right saddle.

Popular with people is SLR, Flite(1990 model), SuperFlow in small or large. The kit carbonio is a carbon rail, carbon shell. That's all it means. And they offer that in pretty much every single one.

pjbaz
01-10-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm just starting to get used to the Flite Trans Am (I like the cutout on most saddles) which is flatter than my usual and favorite ProLink Trans Am Gel Flow which is more swoopy from front to back.

And yeah, like a MILLION combinations :banana:

PaMtbRider
01-10-2018, 06:50 PM
I 'm a big fan of the Romin Evo and have them on several bikes. I saw this Selle Italia on Amazon which appears very similar to the Romin Evo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VT2LFAM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided to give it a try on a frame I just got. It showed up in the mail today, so I will report back after I get a few miles on it.

Climb01742
01-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Selle Italia make very nice saddles but they’re priced noticeably higher than the big S or many Fizik saddles. I can’t honestly say I feel the price difference. The SI saddles I’ve ridden I’ve liked, but I find myself gravitating to more affordable saddles that perform just as well.

shovelhd
01-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Selle Italia make very nice saddles but they’re priced noticeably higher than the big S or many Fizik saddles. I can’t honestly say I feel the price difference. The SI saddles I’ve ridden I’ve liked, but I find myself gravitating to more affordable saddles that perform just as well.

The Specialized equivalent to the Kit Carbonio Flow is the S-Works Toupe, which is $300. I paid $130 each for two Selle Italias, admittedly on closeout.

Tickdoc
01-11-2018, 09:31 AM
The Specialized equivalent to the Kit Carbonio Flow is the S-Works Toupe, which is $300. I paid $130 each for two Selle Italias, admittedly on closeout.

Agreed. The only new saddle I ever purchased was a custom color job. There are too many nearly new/not right for me second hand saddles out there to justify paying retail, IMO.

PNW
01-11-2018, 09:49 AM
I definitely won’t pay retail that’s for sure. I’ll check out specs and do some reading on sizes, etc.

Climb01742
01-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Yes, that’s the smart way to buy SI saddles, jump on sales. As I said, SI makes very good saddles, no question. I’ve never tried an S-Works, guess for same reason I’ve never tried the ultimate Fizik models or priciest SI saddles...the mid-range models work fine, particularly when I’m putting them on a few bikes.

The Kit Carbonio Flite looks great. I’ll keep an eye out for a sale!;)

PNW
01-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Yes, that’s the smart way to buy SI saddles, jump on sales. As I said, SI makes very good saddles, no question. I’ve never tried an S-Works, guess for same reason I’ve never tried the ultimate Fizik models or priciest SI saddles...the mid-range models work fine, particularly when I’m putting them on a few bikes.

The Kit Carbonio Flite looks great. I’ll keep an eye out for a sale!;)

Wonderful! And don’t forget to let me know. I know biketiresdirect has a sale right now but not sure if that’s considered a good one.

Freier
01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Long time San Marco regal(e) saddle user, and just recently switched to a "flatter" saddle in the SI Flite Flow Ti...about 1K miles in and loving it.

OtayBW
01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
I paid full retail for my 1st Kit Carbonio Flo and then have purchased 3 others over time at used or heavily discounted prices. For a saddle that fits and is effectively transparent in your riding, I can think of very few things that are more cost effective....

regularguy412
01-11-2018, 06:54 PM
I used to ride a San Marco Concor,,, the one with the perforated top and the deep curve up in back. I finally wore it out and by then they didn't make it any more. I lucked onto a SI 100th Anniversary Edition saddle. It was about 127 mm width and basically flat. I've never tried any other brands since then and have stuck to SI saddles. I still like the flat shape and can ride anything between 127 and 135 with NO issues. Do prefer those with a cutout down the middle. Really like the no longer made SLK but the Kit Carbonio is OK, tho not as much cush due to the way the rails attach.

Mike in AR:beer:

PNW
01-11-2018, 10:58 PM
Well, I ride a 143 in Specialized and have my eye on a SLR carbonio flow...but I’m reading and it’s a 131 width. I’m guessing this wouldn’t work?

OtayBW
01-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Well, I ride a 143 in Specialized and have my eye on a SLR carbonio flow...but I’m reading and it’s a 131 width. I’m guessing this wouldn’t work?
Only you can answer that.

Spaghetti Legs
01-12-2018, 08:36 AM
The Turbo is my favorite. Old school and boxy looking but the look grows on you. I’m also partial to the original Flite. Most modern one Ive tried was the original SLR which I couldn’t ride for more than 40 miles or so.