PDA

View Full Version : User awareness

Serotta PETE
09-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Over the past year there has been a few instances of folks having a problem with master links on 10 speed chains. While they have beer rare, I can tell you as of this morning, I have first hand experience with the link malfunctioning and causing the chain to break and cause much other damage.

Luckily I was going up hill, not shifting but in a constant gear. when I heard a noise, rear wheel locked up, rear DA changer broke off hanger, cable broke, chain broke, and I came to a stop. It was uphill and not down hill, so a face plant was not part of this saga. A nice fellow in a pickup truck stopped and gave me a ride home.

Bike is being taken apart and sent back to Serotta (Legend ST) for alingment and rear carbon inspection and paint. Only reason I am bringing it up here is to make sure that anyone using a quick disconnect for chain understands what can happen. (not that it will).

When I get the bike back from Serotta and wheel back from MAVIC, I will only be using standard shimano chains and their connection system.

As I said, this is just an awareness note and not meant to say what chain works for others or what others should use on their bikes. (No this is not a legal notice - just trying to not start a "hate" thread........)

Time for a big glass of red and a thanks to the man......... :D

Birddog
09-28-2006, 09:20 PM
What brand of link were you using?

Birddog

keno
09-29-2006, 05:32 AM
too much power. The rest of us need not worry. (I don't use smilies, words being enough of a challenge.)

How did "beer" sneak into your post? But not surprised.

keno

William
09-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Pete,

The red is just making you too dang powerful!!! It's cleaning out your system and pumping up your heart and turning you into a powerhouse. :beer:

William ;)

Glad you're ok, and sorry to hear about the damage to the ride.

Serotta PETE
09-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone. Had some great red last night and all is better. Thought of Mr. Keno the other night when out with SPOKES and toasted him with some Sierra N brew.

Connector was Connex or something like that.

Bike is going back to Serotta via Cyclesport. It will be better than new - - they told me abot a 1000cc motor that they can hide in ST rear and then I can keep up with Keno.

Will have to find another bike to ride for the weekend....Taking SPOKES on a slow-poke ride over in CARY that the females outnumber males 2 to 1. (if it is that good for him, I hear BB Dave has the mapquest already printed....)

PETE

sspielman
09-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Is it safe for us to assume that the Connex link was the stainless model and not the nickel one? I have heard of (and seen) a number of stainless model failures, but I am yet to see the nickel model fail...

Geoff
09-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Pete sorry to hear of your troubles. I have also had several of these break but have not had any problems related to it. I just pulled over and put on the extra that I cary and kept going. I use the SRAM glod link.

G