PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Computers

CDollarsign
01-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Before I go and drop $600 on a Garmin 1030 please school me on other units that have the capability to map. I really only want to be able to do the following:

1. View typical cycling data
2. Load routes with turn by turn directions

Anything else would just be extra. I have messed with my FIL's Garmin 820 and wasn't too overly impressed. I don't think I will ever need to plug in an address and have it guide me there - which seemed overly complicated on the 820. Have looked into the Wahoo Bolt, but it seems like I would need to pay for ride with gps to get quasi turn by turb routes...

ltwtsculler91
01-09-2018, 09:02 AM
If you're going to just track your stats and set up routes on your PC before loading them onto the unit for your ride, then the 520 will work fine.

I've found loading routes to work perfectly and prefer the smaller form factor and buttons on my 520 versus the 1030

AngryScientist
01-09-2018, 09:15 AM
i use the garmin edge touring, which i find to be good at what it does and is inexpensive, particularly if you buy garmin refurbished (which you can not distinguish from new).

gospastic
01-09-2018, 09:23 AM
You don't need to pay for RidewithGPS to get turn by turn routes. I've been using the Wahoo Bolt for a while now and it works seamlessly with that site.

jruhlen1980
01-09-2018, 09:26 AM
You don't need to pay for RidewithGPS to get turn by turn routes. I've been using the Wahoo Bolt for a while now and it works seamlessly with that site.

Same.

CDollarsign
01-09-2018, 09:28 AM
I kind of hate Garmin's touch screen. My FILs 820 is really sensitive and finicky. Honestly their technology progression doesn't impress me much especially in regards to displays...

jgarrett
01-09-2018, 08:52 PM
i just ordered a wahoo element. Looks promising. I'm fed up with Garmin not cooperating with stages, issues updating software, etc.

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Wahoo Element or Element Bolt. Killer.

Likes2ridefar
01-09-2018, 09:04 PM
I didn’t like the element bolt for turn by turn directions or its app for creating a route. It often ignored cycling routes I know exist, and the turn by turn was difficult to follow in Phoenix often trying to take me through less than obvious parking lots or side roads.

I got a garmin 1000, and it is great for riding with the map open to follow a route or using turn by turn.

eddief
01-09-2018, 09:29 PM
with Garmin 200, 500, 800, and now the 1000.

The 1000 does the job. Bigger screen, better resolution, and more than enough info. Touch screen does just fine. Can be a bit tricky as have downloaded ridewithgps files, started the route, but could not find the cues. Reloading seems to do the trick when this happens. Still good to have a paper route sheet along with the Garmin...just in case. I probably use 25% or less of its true functionality. Don't forget to find the 3D mapping setting. That point of view is the best when zooming through round abouts in congested Italian and French cities.