PDA

View Full Version : More subcompact chainring options: Absoluteblack 46/30 and 48/32

jtbadge
01-09-2018, 08:37 AM
A new option for those looking for easier gearing on their Shimano 2x cross bikes:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/09/climb-anything-new-absoluteblack-46-30-48-32-micro-compact-chainrings/

The 30-tooth uses a smaller M5 bolt on the narrower part of the oval, which lets it clear the chain above. The taller part of the oval, where you’re applying more torque, uses a larger M7 bolt. The 32-tooth ring uses four M7 bolts. All are titanium, and all thread from the front, through the big chainring, into the small one, so you can install them without removing the cranks from the bike. Other than readjusting your front derailleur inboard, too, no other modifications to your drivetrain are required.

livingminimal
01-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried these yet? Any feedback?
I have the 46/30 on order for my cx/gravel bike.
Based on what I've seen around the intersweat, the feedback is pretty positive and I like that gearing combo.

word.

zennmotion
01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Oval. Ugh.

Mark McM
01-24-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm currently putting together a sub-compact crank, but rather than using kludged up designs and proprietary components I'm using standard components that have been available for 25 years. There are lots of cranks made with the 5 arm 94mm BCD (sometimes called Microdrive, or Hyperglide-C), and chainrings are still available in sizes from 29 to 50 teeth. Most of these cranks used square taper spindles, but a few used splined spindles (Octalink and ISIS), and I think there may have even been a few with integrated spindles and outboard bearing BBs.

My particular setup is using a set of 170mm Suntour XC-Pro micro-drive cranks, and 46/30 T.A. chainrings. These cranks use a low-profile spider, and used a fairly short 115mm square taper spindle when used as a triple crank. Using a 103mm spindle produces the correct chainline for a road double chainline, with a relatively low Q-factor of 145mm.

PaMtbRider
01-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Why do they have to be absolutely ugly?

mistermo
01-24-2018, 03:43 PM
snip>>"Other than readjusting your front derailleur inboard, too, no other modifications to your drivetrain are required."

I assume that many will use a 46-30/48-32 combination for a gravel, bigger-tired bike. Moving the derailleur inward may encroach upon tires, esp in the larger sizes. There was a thread last week about trying to get the eTap front derailleur as outward as possible to maximize tire clearance. This seems to take things in the opposite direction.

R3awak3n
01-24-2018, 03:46 PM

my thoughts exactly

OtayBW
01-24-2018, 03:57 PM
A new option for those looking for easier gearing on their Shimano 2x cross bikes:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/09/climb-anything-new-absoluteblack-46-30-48-32-micro-compact-chainrings/

From the article:AB’s founder says he’s been able to climb a 37% grade on gravel using these with an 11-30 cassette, yet not lose the top end speed needed for regular group rides. 37% grade on gravel, huh? I'd like to see that. :rolleyes:

zross312
01-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Realize the cost is kinda crazy, but dont these (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/cranks/compass-rene-herse-11-speed-double-cranks/) accomplish the same thing? Maybe just my taste, but I think they're a whole lot prettier then the absolute blacks. Plus, to answer mistermo's point, with square taper you can just get a longer spindled BB and then you have whatever clearance you need...

mhespenheide
01-24-2018, 04:02 PM
I'm currently putting together a sub-compact crank, but rather than using kludged up designs and proprietary components I'm using standard components that have been available for 25 years. There are lots of cranks made with the 5 arm 94mm BCD (sometimes called Microdrive, or Hyperglide-C), and chainrings are still available in sizes from 29 to 50 teeth. Most of these cranks used square taper spindles, but a few used splined spindles (Octalink and ISIS), and I think there may have even been a few with integrated spindles and outboard bearing BBs.

Yes -- Shimano Deore XT M737. 94mm BCD, and quite pretty.

Some of the Ritchey cranks (some had 94mm BCD, most had 110mm). White Industries. 94mm BCD is the key.

Personally, I like 44/32 combined with 11-32 on the cassette, or 11-34 with an R8000 cassette if you want to use 11-speed on a 8/9/10 Shimano freehub.

Remember that, proportionally, 48-32 is a big jump compared to a 53-39.

R3awak3n
01-24-2018, 04:36 PM
I just installed the praxis alba crankset with the 48/32 rings. No rides yet (waiting for the fork) but on the stand they shift as nice as any other praxis (aka excellent).

I had the white industry vbc in there before which were shifting 48/30 and they shifted well (not as nice as praxis but shifting +2 teeth and they probably did not invest as much time into shifting as praxis)

Bostic
01-24-2018, 05:46 PM
From the article:37% grade on gravel, huh? I'd like to see that. :rolleyes:

I just installed the praxis alba crankset with the 48/32 rings. No rides yet (waiting for the fork) but on the stand they shift as nice as any other praxis (aka excellent).

I had the white industry vbc in there before which were shifting 48/30 and they shifted well (not as nice as praxis but shifting +2 teeth and they probably did not invest as much time into shifting as praxis)

This is the steepest grade in San Francisco, 38%, the sidewalk of Broderick St. I've climbed it in 34x26, 30x25 (pictured here), 30x28 and 30x30. Every single time, on the 16lb bike or the 23lb steel bike I have had to stand up with all my weight as far forward as possible to prevent the bike from popping a wheelie. Every time it has felt like the chain is going to snap at any single pedal stroke. When I had a powertap it was showing 600 watts at 4mph. There is no effin way on gravel, come on now.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/661/FXo4tg.jpg

I'm on the fence over the cheaper Alba or the hollow Zayante. Alba is an absolute miserable climb in the Santa Cruz mountains. I never get to it fresh and there are enough 20% stingers in it to make me curse loudly every time.

cgolvin
01-24-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm on the fence over the cheaper Alba or the hollow Zayante. Alba is an absolute miserable climb in the Santa Cruz mountains. I never get to it fresh and there are enough 20% stingers in it to make me curse loudly every time.

No lie. Alba is brutal, makes Felton Empire seem like a walk in the park.
Zayante (including Upper) is a lovely climb.
Seems like they should have a product named "Mt. Charlie".

dem
01-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Since the bay area types chimed in, Priest Rock fire road off Lexington has legit 35-40% dirt aka "Dog Meat"

I have cleaned it all on my gravel bike except "cone hill" which gets me every damn time (you need to kick up to a 50% part to stay out of the rut that is full of loose stuff and I can't keep traction :)

https://www.strava.com/segments/8542259 - the hardest bit, Strava's grade is not quite accurate since there are water bars which makes several bits much steeper.

livingminimal
01-24-2018, 07:08 PM

I don't disagree that they certainly arent the prettiest. However going on my cross/gravel/all-road thing I am way more interested in function.

Honestly, at my size, north of 250lbs and really unable to get any lighter than say, 240lbs, 46-30 is going to be a godsend on some of our local dirt climbs, and make longer days possible, so I dont know that looks are really a massive concern for chainrings at this point.

All that said, I went for black on a super dark blue bike w/ Ultegra 6800 as to hide them as much as possible.

If I do like them, I am going to get a set of the 48/32 for my road bike.

R3awak3n
01-24-2018, 07:39 PM
This is the steepest grade in San Francisco, 38%, the sidewalk of Broderick St. I've climbed it in 34x26, 30x25 (pictured here), 30x28 and 30x30. Every single time, on the 16lb bike or the 23lb steel bike I have had to stand up with all my weight as far forward as possible to prevent the bike from popping a wheelie. Every time it has felt like the chain is going to snap at any single pedal stroke. When I had a powertap it was showing 600 watts at 4mph. There is no effin way on gravel, come on now.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/661/FXo4tg.jpg

Ah that is cool, did not know they were named after climbs.

The alba seems very nice, a bit heavy but also cheaper than the zayante. Add to that, that you can get them very cheap on ebay (or here on paceline :D). The same goes for the zayante, you can get good deals on it and it will save you close to 100 grams (my bike is high 20s so I really don't care about 100 g on that bike). Praxis is about to release a carbon crank that will also have a 48/32 option, it will be slightly more expensive but I think it saves another 100g over the zayante.

Also 38% incline is no joke. I do a 22% right outside my home, its short but brutal, 38% lol

jamesdak
01-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Here's another good source for chainrings.

https://wickwerks.com/

I'm running an early version of their 53/34 setup on one of my Lemonds and with the stock Dura Ace FD it's my best shifting set of chainrings.

livingminimal
01-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Here's another good source for chainrings.

https://wickwerks.com/

I'm running an early version of their 53/34 setup on one of my Lemonds and with the stock Dura Ace FD it's my best shifting set of chainrings.

Used wickwerks for a long time and unfortunately had the worst chain suck and overshift issues. Really wanted to support them but it just never worked on my rig.

Clancy
01-25-2018, 06:50 AM
I’ve been using the White Industries VBC crankset 30/46 on my Gravel Bike with a SRAM Force derailleur. I really like the gearing it gives me with an 11/32 or 11/36 cassette. The shifting is not as snappy as I’d like and took quite a bit of fiddling to get it to shift as well as it does. I’ve had this set-up for a couple of long rides on backroads with some brutal sections here in the Hill Country, performed perfectly.

What I like about the Absolute Black is they mount on existing Shimano cranks and that the shift ramps look to be carefully designed/machined. The W.I. set-up ain’t cheap so the AB chainrings are less expensive way to get the sub-compact gearing. And hopefully, it will shift just as nice as the Shimano rings.

The more I use a sub-compact crank the more I like it. Keeps me spinning higher, easier on the knees, no pie plate cassettes w/ big gaps. Good to see more options and I’m sure other companies have similar products in the pipeline.

jamesdak
01-25-2018, 07:36 AM
Used wickwerks for a long time and unfortunately had the worst chain suck and overshift issues. Really wanted to support them but it just never worked on my rig.

Sounds like FD issues to me. Mine have been flawless. They are very popular on the pro Cyclocross circuit because they do work so well and are trouble free.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get your's working right.

To me the only issue is they're ugly but I'm a more classic steel bike kind of guy and think that about all the current offerings.

basilic
01-27-2018, 12:50 AM
Stronglight CT2 rings in 33 teeth can be used on any 5-arm 110 crank, nothing proprietary; I pair this with a 48, and they shift well.

Has anyone tried the Rotor 46/30 one-piece rings? I'm intrigued.

AngryScientist
01-27-2018, 04:36 PM
46/30, old school. works great.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-22dWnbb5ogg/Wmz82BBmWBI/AAAAAAAAC9s/l76DkNpujAc6jiJiR-WV70RwzCbv7EgTQCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_1980.JPG