PDA

View Full Version : OT anybody own a Kia Sorento

Kingfisher
01-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Need to downsize a bit here at the house with my wife recently placed into nursing home. Gonna trade in an older 2004 Honda Pilot and 2016 Ram truck.
Only need 1 car...truck is just too big. Looking at Sorento's. They have gotten very good review and their warranty is outstanding. It's just me and my two dogs so plenty of room in back for them and bikes in or out when I ride.

Any comments?

Dirtdiggler
01-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Probably will not help, but we were looking for a car for my daughter to replace her aging Escape and we ended up with a Hyundai. I was planning on a KIA, but the I was surprised with the higher cost of the KIA. I'm a Honda owner, but I was very impressed with the Hyundai interior and quality. Lots a bang for the buck.. Look into their Sante Fe and Tucson SUV, completely redesigned with plenty of gadgets.

AngryScientist
01-09-2018, 06:38 AM
kingfisher, followed your posts a bit with regard to your wife. i can only begin to imagine what you're going through, and genuinely wishing you the best in this newer phase of your lives. stay strong pal.

on topic - obviously no long term comments, but i rented one of these Sorentos a few weeks ago out west, and also rented a bike. I was happy with the kia. decent power and plenty of room for bike and gear in the back. i have some friends who own a current honda CRV and the Kia is a nicer vehicle IMO. in that category, i would also look at the hyundai santa fea and the nissan rogue i think. i've rented them all and they are all pretty nice for the class of car they're in.

good luck!

Davist
01-09-2018, 06:44 AM
We ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe sport after thinking we wanted a Sorrento as well. Very pleased with the purchase. Either has great warranty, the Hyundai's a little bigger, better pricing, not quite as stylish outside.

Kingfisher
01-09-2018, 06:45 AM
kingfisher, followed your posts a bit with regard to your wife. i can only begin to imagine what you're going through, and genuinely wishing you the best in this newer phase of your lives. stay strong pal.

on topic - obviously no long term comments, but i rented one of these Sorentos a few weeks ago out west, and also rented a bike. I was happy with the kia. decent power and plenty of room for bike and gear in the back. i have some friends who own a current honda CRV and the Kia is a nicer vehicle IMO. in that category, i would also look at the hyundai santa fea and the nissan rogue i think. i've rented them all and they are all pretty nice for the class of car they're in.

good luck!

Thanks for kind words...it has been difficult for these past few years watching alzheimers take over and me being sole caregiver. But i've come to terms with accepting the fact that I can no longer provide the care that she needs and the memory care unit she is in provides all of that and more. She is safe and happy and doesn't really comprehend the severity of it all....which is good.
But I'm still a youngster at 62 and moving towards a new phase of my life.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Need to downsize a bit here at the house with my wife recently placed into nursing home. Gonna trade in an older 2004 Honda Pilot and 2016 Ram truck.
Only need 1 car...truck is just too big. Looking at Sorento's. They have gotten very good review and their warranty is outstanding. It's just me and my two dogs so plenty of room in back for them and bikes in or out when I ride.

Any comments?

Son had one and excellent..until the timing chain broke(he bought his used)...make sure you do that on time..It's the type that will have some valves 'open' when you try to start it..killing said engine..

Keep the Pilot? 2004, it's just now broken in...:)

p nut
01-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Keep the Pilot? 2004, it's just now broken in...:)

I would suggest the same. Those things go forever.

Kia’s are nice though. Neighbor has one and love it. I like the styling over the Hyundai counter part but it’s subjective. I thought the Sorento was bigger than the Santa Fe, but maybe I’m wrong.

Personally, with two dogs, I’d rather get a small pick up. Like a Tacoma Ext cab. Plenty of room for bikes as well.

seanile
01-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Personally, with two dogs, I’d rather get a small pick up. Like a Tacoma Ext cab. Plenty of room for bikes as well. this is a good recommendation. if you get a bed cover that's taller than the cab, you can stand fork-mounted bikes up in the back (i've got room for 4!). LEER makes bed covers with dog screens too iirc.

Billybob62
01-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Well said by Angry...

On topic - my wife has a 2013 Sorrento. Has 85,000 miles and has been trouble free. I have a CRV with similar mileage and agree with others that the KIA is more car and better appointed (although I like my CRV too).

Ralph
01-09-2018, 09:49 AM
Great car for what it is. Actually....I think all the vehicles in that category are good cars. Sorrento, Sonata, Accord, Altima, Fusion, Malibu, Subaru sedan,,etc. Most have now switched over to chains (on 4 cylinders) to run the valves instead of belts....or at least Honda has.

I've got my 91 year old Mother in law's 2008 Mercury Milan around the house here. A 10 year old car. Premier version....leather, satellite radio, etc. Basically a Ford Fusion. It's a 4 cylinder automatic. Idles rough because even then Ford used chains to run the all aluminum block and head DOHC engine. So with the nosy chains, it gets bad reviews as un refined. Who cares....it will run forever. Same engine they put in small Transits, Rangers, Fusions, Escapes, etc. Have grown to really appreciate the solid engineering in this simple cheap vehicle. Nothing ever goes wrong with it.

Believe most of vehicles in this category are like this. Most all the engines and transmissions, AC units, suspension systems, dash set ups (blend doors on auto systems), are widely used in other company vehicles as well.....tried and proven parts.....if not overly exciting.

bart998
01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
I have a Kia Sportage that I bought new in 2013. Five years, no problems at all. It is my wife's daily driver and has about 65K miles on it. Definitely recommend. The Sportage also accommodates my bike in the back easily, with the front wheel off.

p nut
01-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Great car for what it is. Actually....I think all the vehicles in that category are good cars. Sorrento, Sonata, Accord, Altima, Fusion, Malibu, Subaru sedan,,etc...

FYI, the Sorento is Kia's midsize Crossover. So in same category as the Pilot, Pathfinder, Edge, etc.

ultraman6970
01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
The nice about kia is that they give you the best bumper to bumper warranty.

Hilltopperny
01-10-2018, 05:20 AM
I'll play devils advocate here. Kia makes a good vehicle for about 100k. Once the warranty expires they tend to go down hill. If you are going new and do not put an excessive amount of miles then you should be fine. My Step father drove them for years. He always seemed to have problems once they reached the 100k mark. He made the switch to a subaru forester about 5 years ago and never looked back. I believe they are just about as spacious, easier to get in and out of, better on gas, have better resale value and within the same price range.

Kingfisher
01-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Deal is almost done...picking up 2018 Sorento this am
Thanks for all the input guys

soulspinner
01-10-2018, 05:54 AM
many happy miles. Got a bud with a long commute that got over 300000 miles on his Sorrento before it began to cost him more money than it was worth to fix it.

p nut
01-10-2018, 08:21 AM
I'll play devils advocate here. Kia makes a good vehicle for about 100k. Once the warranty expires they tend to go down hill. If you are going new and do not put an excessive amount of miles then you should be fine. My Step father drove them for years. He always seemed to have problems once they reached the 100k mark. He made the switch to a subaru forester about 5 years ago and never looked back. I believe they are just about as spacious, easier to get in and out of, better on gas, have better resale value and within the same price range.

Foresters are based on the Impreza platform. They’re noticeably smaller than the Sorento. The new ones anyway. Not sure about previous models. The new Ascent is interesting though.

rnhood
01-10-2018, 09:10 AM
many happy miles. Got a bud with a long commute that got over 300000 miles on his Sorrento before it began to cost him more money than it was worth to fix it.

+1. Kia makes an excellent vehicle at a competitive price. Many happy miles to Kingfisher!

54ny77
01-10-2018, 09:46 AM
don't own one but rented one for a week during travel. nice vehicle, plenty of pep and good size storage space. in my opinion everything in that small crossover suv sector looks about the same and are quality vehicles. most have around 65-75 cubic feet of cargo volume.

with the kia and hyundai models, you get a lot of bang for your buck if purchasing used because the resale kind of sucks. get one a year or two old that's a cpo vehicle and that's a solid value to drive till it drops. assuming you don't have a family issue like an elderly parent or grandparent who served in korea and he'll be damned if a korean car ever rolls one inch on his property when visiting, go for it! just don't expect to recapture much on resale. if that sort of thing matters to you, get a toyota (rav4 or highlander) or honda (crv), they have highest resale.

we're in the market to replace my wife's aging rav4 and have looked at every single one out there in that segment, both new & used. there's a ridiculous amount of choices out there.

p nut
01-10-2018, 10:14 AM
assuming you don't have a family issue like an elderly parent or grandparent who served in korea and he'll be damned if a korean car ever rolls one inch on his property when visiting, go for it!....

Is that really an issue with some people? Trying to understand the reason why. North vs South. Big difference. Not to mention the Chinese involvement in many UN/US lives lost. Do they hold similar feelings on Made in China stuff as well?

54ny77
01-10-2018, 10:25 AM
eh, can't answer that question, really. i understand their view given the hell they went thru, but....today is a different day and the global economy is vastly interconnected and impossible (in many sectors) to drive purchase decisions based on origin.

had another family member who was in wwii, and nope, for years couldn't roll up in a honda or toyota rental car. eventually the conversation was get the f over it already or we don't visit, not to mention don't be a hypocrite with that [xyz asian-made] t.v. that's always blasting classic movie re-runs!

that, plus trying to explain that some hyundai's are built entirely in u.s. plants and contribute more to u.s. economy than many domestic mfgr's.....and it's like talking to a wall. :bike:

Is that really an issue with some people? Trying to understand the reason why. North vs South. Big difference. Not to mention the Chinese involvement in many UN/US lives lost. Do they hold similar feelings on Made in China stuff as well?

pasadena
01-11-2018, 12:51 PM
This is the most ignornant thing I've read about the Korean War.

S. Korea is not comparable to say, Germany or China.S. Korea did not attack nor did they threaten democracy.
They fought alongside American and UN soldiers FOR democracy.

Blaming S, Korea and refusing to buy SK products is equivalent to blaming the Jews for WW2.

Does anyone have a problem with buying Japanese products? Pearl Harbor is absolutely a drop in the pool compared to the atrocities the Japanese did to SK.
All that is meaningless now, and especially concerning products we buy.

And floating that kind of comment in here, deleteing it and backpedalling...ridiculous.

eh, can't answer that question, really. i understand their view given the hell they went thru, but....today is a different day and the global economy is vastly interconnected and impossible (in many sectors) to drive purchase decisions based on origin.

had another family member who was in wwii, and nope, for years couldn't roll up in a honda or toyota rental car. eventually the conversation was get the f over it already or we don't visit, not to mention don't be a hypocrite with that [xyz asian-made] t.v. that's always blasting classic movie re-runs!

that, plus trying to explain that some hyundai's are built entirely in u.s. plants and contribute more to u.s. economy than many domestic mfgr's.....and it's like talking to a wall. :bike:

54ny77
01-11-2018, 01:33 PM
i didn't delete or backpedal on anything so i don't know if your comment was directed at me, or what?

i was recounting some blatantly ignorant views on foreign car origin. perhaps re-read what i wrote and what i said to my family members.

This is the most ignornant thing I've read about the Korean War.

S. Korea is not comparable to say, Germany or China.S. Korea did not attack nor did they threaten democracy.
They fought alongside American and UN soldiers FOR democracy.

Blaming S, Korea and refusing to buy SK products is equivalent to blaming the Jews for WW2.

Does anyone have a problem with buying Japanese products? Pearl Harbor is absolutely a drop in the pool compared to the atrocities the Japanese did to SK.
All that is meaningless now, and especially concerning products we buy.

And floating that kind of comment in here, deleteing it and backpedalling...ridiculous.