PDA

View Full Version : Whisky No. 7 Canti CX fork question

fa63
01-08-2018, 10:30 PM
I am thinking about getting one of these for my gravel bike. I was wondering if anyone here is running one of these with rim brakes (looks like they are drilled for one) instead of running it with cantis. I guess I could buy some mini-v's for the front, but I already have the rim brakes so I would rather stick with those.

I am looking at this instead of the mid-reach rim brake version because the A-C on the mid-reach version is not long enough for my needs (I need at least 390 mm A-C).

By the way, anyone know if the canti studs are removable?

Thanks.

quickfeet
01-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Pretty sure that hole is a fender mount, I don’t think you’d be able to find a rim brake with long enough reach. I had one for a bit and can’t imagine it would work.

fa63
01-08-2018, 11:22 PM
In the description, it says "Rim brake compatible, 22mm posts for cantilever brakes".

I am using true long reach brakes, TRP R559 (55-73mm reach).

eBAUMANN
01-08-2018, 11:32 PM
In the description, it says "Rim brake compatible, 22mm posts for cantilever brakes".

I am using true long reach brakes, TRP R559 (55-73mm reach).

cantilever brakes are rim brakes...

that fork is 100% not designed for caliper rim brakes.

Luwabra
01-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Yeah that’s not gonna work.its strictly a canti fork. Paul racers?? I don’t know about them but I wouldn’t try using a long reach caliper there. I’m no expert or safety Sam but....

Rim brakes meaning just that canti brake on rim

eBAUMANN
01-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Yeah that’s not gonna work.its strictly a canti fork. Paul racers?? I don’t know about them but I wouldn’t try using a long reach caliper there. I’m no expert or safety Sam but....

Rim brakes meaning just that canti brake on rim

paul racer direct mount posts are not the same as canti posts (as similar as they appear), and their positioning on the fork relative to the rim is different compared to canti.

if you want to use that fork, you will be using canti or mini-v (what i would recommend) brakes.

fa63
01-08-2018, 11:43 PM
cantilever brakes are rim brakes...

Good point :)

I guess Mini V brakes it is then. Any suggestions on which ones?

scoobydrew
01-09-2018, 12:32 AM
I’ve been very happy with my TRP 8.4 brakes.

572cv
01-09-2018, 07:00 AM
Lots of folks very happy with TRP mini-vs. I'm using Paul Minimotos, which I think are pretty close to perfect.

Luwabra
01-09-2018, 08:06 AM
8.4 are very very good

value option is the Tektro 520?? or somthing like that. they stop almost as well without the price tag. bang for buck here for sure was led to these by other forum members here.

minimoto. im excited to try these. I picked up a set here recently.

fa63
01-09-2018, 08:51 AM
I might pick up some Minimotos as well. They seem nicely built. I need all the stopping power I can get :)

palincss
01-09-2018, 10:00 AM

572cv
01-09-2018, 02:46 PM
I might pick up some Minimotos as well. They seem nicely built. I need all the stopping power I can get :)

Very nicely built and engineered. The nice touches are all there, for example, the little nub that you loop the end of the cable around so it stays tidy and out of the way. Stopping power is excellent, and the modulation is up to snuff.

ERK55
01-09-2018, 04:46 PM
I've been disappointed with Minimotos on my cross bike (replaced cantis).
Don't think it's the fault of the brakes-they are beautifully made and finished. I just think they don't play well with Campy 10 speed shifters, something about the pull ratio (?). The brake lever blades basically almost bottom out against the handlebars when applying a lot of pressure. I suspect the Minimotos may work better with a Shimano setup.

For Campagnolo the TRP 8.4's may be more compatible as I recall (as opposed the 9.0's).

572cv
01-09-2018, 05:53 PM
I've been disappointed with Minimotos on my cross bike (replaced cantis).
Don't think it's the fault of the brakes-they are beautifully made and finished. I just think they don't play well with Campy 10 speed shifters, something about the pull ratio (?). The brake lever blades basically almost bottom out against the handlebars when applying a lot of pressure. I suspect the Minimotos may work better with a Shimano setup.

For Campagnolo the TRP 8.4's may be more compatible as I recall (as opposed the 9.0's).

I don’t have any experience with the minimoto/campy combo, my setup is dura ace and minimoto. Your brake lever comment is important, though. I had to fuss a bit with the cable adjustment to get it dialed in. I got it close, then used the adjuster at the end of the noodle to fine tune. Once it was right, it has been great. But I will agree that this is more finicky than my standard calipers.