PDA

View Full Version : Campy Carbon Wheels?

bob heinatz
01-08-2018, 06:45 PM
I have finally decided in a few months to purchased my first set of carbon wheels. I have looked at the high end (enve, zipp) and most mid price wheels and came across Campy’s Bora Ultras and Bora One’s. Any feedback from owners? How do these compare with the likes of Enve and Zipp? I am open to any other options in a carbon rim. Btw I am a Campy guy but I never considered their wheels until now.

ultraman6970
01-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Bora

FlashUNC
01-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Boras. Even better find a set of Hyperons.

sales guy
01-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Bora. They are crazy nice. Well built. Look incredible and they will work well with Campagnolo perfectly.

Go with the Bora Ones.

Mzilliox
01-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Boras and Shamals are the bees knees. I ended up preferring Boras to Hyperons myself, but thats like saying Wonder Woman is hotter than She Ra.

audiojan
01-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Guess I can only add to the praise. Bora One's are really awesome wheels, quite light, very stiff, comfortable, brakes well and just rolls forever. Bonus doesn't cost a fortune. Bora Ultra is a real step up, but hard to justify the cost difference.

bob heinatz
01-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone. It seems that Campy has a winner in the Ultra and the Ones. That will be my next decision Ultra’s or One’s.

pdmtong
01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone. It seems that Campy has a winner in the Ultra and the Ones. That will be my next decision Ultra’s or One’s.

Ultras if you need to have "the best" and have the budget to spend.

Ones are the best value in carbon clincher IMHO...brake great and roll forever.

bob heinatz
01-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Pdmtong
Thanks for your opinion. I think you summed up my situation perfectly.

Lionel
01-09-2018, 10:54 AM

clincher :)

bking
01-09-2018, 10:57 AM
I have the money for the ultras, I buy the ones, or their sisters in Fulcrum. I like the fulcrum spoke pattern a bit better.
great wheels either way.

shinomaster
01-09-2018, 11:01 AM

My next wheels!

Basso69
01-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Bora 50 clinchers

huck*this
01-09-2018, 11:26 AM
When looking around you will notice the AC3 model. All this is an "improvement" in wet weather braking. If you don't ride in the rain go for the non AC3. Also super easy to service. If treating yourself to your 1st set of carbon wheels go with the Ultra's. You won't have that feeling of wow these Ones are amazing I wonder how much better the Ultra's are.

Brake pads, go with the Campy black and red pads.

Between 35 and 50. If you are under 175lbs go with the 35 over 175 go with the 50. Enjoy that blissful coasting!

earlfoss
01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
I loved my Boras. I highly recommend them. I had the 50mm version which is just as light as the 35, with more aero-ness. I experienced very little to no weathervaneing and no matter what your size I think your experience would be similar.

thegunner
01-09-2018, 12:00 PM
When looking around you will notice the AC3 model. All this is an "improvement" in wet weather braking. If you don't ride in the rain go for the non AC3. Also super easy to service. If treating yourself to your 1st set of carbon wheels go with the Ultra's. You won't have that feeling of wow these Ones are amazing I wonder how much better the Ultra's are.

Brake pads, go with the Campy black and red pads.

Between 35 and 50. If you are under 175lbs go with the 35 over 175 go with the 50. Enjoy that blissful coasting!

so how much better ARE the ultras? ;) ;)

zap
01-09-2018, 12:26 PM
My one regret with Campy Bora 35 One......................that I didn't purchase a set sooner.

bob heinatz
01-09-2018, 01:52 PM
These will be my primary wheels. I live in Oregon and will use in the rain so I guess I need to have the AC3. Also weight 145lbs so it sounds like the 35 over the 50. Any comments on the 50’s with my weight.

huck*this
01-09-2018, 02:29 PM
The 50s will offer a little stiffer of a ride compared to the 35.

I have not tried out the AC3 but that is what I have heard about the wet weather braking. I have the 3Diamante track and have no complaints on braking.

ldamelio
01-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Bora Ones. The Ultras are marginally lighter and the carbon hubs are sexy, but not worth the added coin even if you have money to burn. They beat Zipp and Reynolds in terms of build quality in my direct experience. With prices so low from the European retailers, they are also the best priced of the premium carbon offerings. A no brainer. Pick 35 vs. 50 and tubular vs. clincher to meet your needs and you won't regret it. I regretted my Zip 404s and Reynlods Assaults. The Boras are reliable daily drivers and great race wheels. Mine are tubular 50 dark label. Stop fine in the wet (and mine are not the latest with the new brake track) with included pads.

pdmtong
01-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Bora Ones. The Ultras are marginally lighter and the carbon hubs are sexy, but not worth the added coin even if you have money to burn. They beat Zipp and Reynolds in terms of build quality in my direct experience. With prices so low from the European retailers, they are also the best priced of the premium carbon offerings. A no brainer. Pick 35 vs. 50 and tubular vs. clincher to meet your needs and you won't regret it. I regretted my Zip 404s and Reynlods Assaults. The Boras are reliable daily drivers and great race wheels. Mine are tubular 50 dark label. Stop fine in the wet (and mine are not the latest with the new brake track) with included pads.

Lou echos the PM I sent you. Which, i guess I should summarize since I opened my mouth

1) clincher vs. tubular
>your choice.

2) one vs ultra
> IMHO the small marginal gain comes at quite an expense. I can treat myself to rolling on ~$1500 wheels but I do not want to tie up $2500 in wheels, especially since I am not going for a sub-15 build. That's a grand I could use elsewhere (or whatever the non-trivial delta is (depending on where you buy))

3) 35 vs. 50.
> IMHO if you go up and down then 35. if you go fast on flat then 50. I have to say the one time I rolled on 50s I thought I was dreaming I was going so much faster...

4) hyperons would be great for a classic look but
> 35 or 50 you get more aero benefit plus the 2015-16-17 Boras have an improved brake track

5) starbike.com

6) no warranty if bought from planetcyclery.com

FastforaSlowGuy
01-09-2018, 11:15 PM
I like my Bora One 50 significantly more than my Enve. The ride is just nicer, braking is better, they corner fiercely and they light. I’m not wild about the “bright” graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNW
02-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Lou echos the PM I sent you. Which, i guess I should summarize since I opened my mouth

1) clincher vs. tubular
>your choice.

2) one vs ultra
> IMHO the small marginal gain comes at quite an expense. I can treat myself to rolling on ~$1500 wheels but I do not want to tie up $2500 in wheels, especially since I am not going for a sub-15 build. That's a grand I could use elsewhere (or whatever the non-trivial delta is (depending on where you buy))

3) 35 vs. 50.
> IMHO if you go up and down then 35. if you go fast on flat then 50. I have to say the one time I rolled on 50s I thought I was dreaming I was going so much faster...

4) hyperons would be great for a classic look but
> 35 or 50 you get more aero benefit plus the 2015-16-17 Boras have an improved brake track

5) starbike.com

6) no warranty if bought from planetcyclery.com

Pretty sure you get a warranty through Campy USA if purchased from planetcyclery...considering a set of Boras right now and their pricing is hard to beat.

pdmtong
02-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Pretty sure you get a warranty through Campy USA if purchased from planetcyclery...considering a set of Boras right now and their pricing is hard to beat.

There is NO CHANCE Campagnolo North America will warranty ANYTHING purchased from planetcyclery.com

ZERO.

Call either and ask. I did.

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if form Europe. I asked them this a few weeks ago.

thegunner
02-01-2018, 07:28 PM
There is NO CHANCE Campagnolo North America will warranty ANYTHING purchased from planetcyclery.com

ZERO.

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if form Europe. I asked them this a few weeks ago.

i'm so confused by this statement. they seem contradictory.

pdmtong
02-01-2018, 07:37 PM
i'm so confused by this statement. they seem contradictory.

sorry, try this:

OTOH Campagnolo North America will warranty anything bought online, even if from Europe EXCEPT THINGS FROM PLANETCYCLERY.COM. I asked them this a few weeks ago.

deano87
02-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Bora One 35's
Best wheels ive ever used

only difference to the Ultra's is the Ceramic Bearings. But for the difference in price, i am more than happy with the "Ultra Smooth Bearings" (USB)

If got a clincher/tubular combo for sale for cheap if anyone is interested - or will sell each individually

ldamelio
02-01-2018, 08:50 PM
The USB bearings in the Bora Ones are also ceramic, just a different ceramic than the CULT in the Ultras. Can't imagine there's any meaningful performance difference.

deano87
02-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Interesting results re: braking

https://i.imgur.com/oWkDutV.jpg

PNW
02-01-2018, 11:27 PM

ZERO.

I purchased my SR 11 group from them and verified with Campy USA and then before buying and they are a certified dealer that is recognized. No clue where you received your intel but doesn’t seem correct.

pdmtong
02-02-2018, 12:19 AM
I purchased my SR 11 group from them and verified with Campy USA and then before buying and they are a certified dealer that is recognized. No clue where you received your intel but doesn’t seem correct.

my intel from both planet and Campy NA as of the past month. not trying to argue with you or "win to make a point" - just reporting what I was told by BOTH recently.

PNW
02-02-2018, 12:40 AM
my intel from both planet and Campy NA as of the past month. not trying to argue with you or "win to make a point" - just reporting what I was told by BOTH recently.

Okay, my dealing was about 7 months ago and had to warranty a caliper which the spring snapped...it was super weird and couldn’t find much online about it. Campy warrantied it and sent me a brand new caliper. This is why I decided to purchase in the US but maybe it doesn’t matter anymore? Wasn’t trying to argue.

PNW
02-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Back on topic concerning Bora’s. I’m going to be pulling the trigger on a set of 35 clinchers here soon...if I find a set of 2017 Ultra’s for $200 more than a set of 2018 Bora Ones should I just go with the Ultra? I don’t need the new brake track that they released in 2018 and will not ride these in the rain..the Ultra 35 clinchers are about 1360 grams which is a winner when it comes to weight as well.

simple
02-02-2018, 04:34 PM
These will be my primary wheels. I live in Oregon and will use in the rain so I guess I need to have the AC3. Also weight 145lbs so it sounds like the 35 over the 50. Any comments on the 50’s with my weight.

There's an appreciable difference between the 35/50 in terms of stiffness. My 695SR is smooth on the 35s, and I need to roll ~5 fewer PSI on the 50s to get near the same effect. Both Tubular, same tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deano87
02-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Back on topic concerning Bora’s. I’m going to be pulling the trigger on a set of 35 clinchers here soon...if I find a set of 2017 Ultra’s for $200 more than a set of 2018 Bora Ones should I just go with the Ultra? I don’t need the new brake track that they released in 2018 and will not ride these in the rain..the Ultra 35 clinchers are about 1360 grams which is a winner when it comes to weight as well.

Definitely, for $200 more, definitely.
Most prices I've seen are at the least $5-600 more.
You can always buy the bearings seperately and install, but the bearings themselves are around $230

Ttx1
02-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Late to the discussion, but another thumbs up for Boras.

I didn't enjoy first gen Enve 3.4, and replaced them with Neutron Ultras, which remained my favorite general purpose wheels for quite awhile.

I was tempted to pick up a set of Hyperons for a few years, but the current gen Bora Ultra 35 is lighter and wider.

They absolutely live up to the hype - marginal gains aside, they are simply great wheels - climbing, cornering, rolling for days.

I vote for dark label.

Happy shopping.