PDA

View Full Version : still no campy compatible narrow-wide chainring options?

AngryScientist
01-07-2018, 06:04 PM
for the new 4 arm cranks - no one is making a narrow-wide chainring to fit these yet?

i'm thinking a new UT centaur crank would look pretty slick in 1x configuration with a narrow-wide ring.

nada yet, right?

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-kvyj4/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/953/15186/CK0056__01157.1504215264.jpg?c=2

sales guy
01-07-2018, 06:09 PM
nope. haven't seen them and Campy isn't planning them. at least thats what they told me at the meeting.

AngryScientist
01-07-2018, 06:10 PM
nope. haven't seen them and Campy isn't planning them. at least thats what they told me at the meeting.

thanks.

i totally wouldnt expect campy to produce one, but thought wolf tooth, race face, or one of those guys would be thinking about one...

i guess the market for such a thing is perceived to be just too small to bother.

ColonelJLloyd
01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
thanks.

i totally wouldnt expect campy to produce one, but thought wolf tooth, race face, or one of those guys would be thinking about one...

i guess the market for such a thing is perceived to be just too small to bother.

Campy doesn't make the other components to run an intended 1x drivetrain as the other makers do so it's not surprising that Wolf Tooth et al aren't investing in the tooling for this. You'd be running a 1x ring on a Campy crank just to use other bits from another manufacturer or doing some other not-clutch option like a Road Link, right?

Just seems there are better options until Campy makes a clutch RD. Until then it's just Campy for Campy's sake. Not that there isn't a market for that (on this board). ;)

I do know that Campy shifters with a Shift Mate and SRAM RD can work like a charm.

Mikej
01-08-2018, 08:28 AM
That's weird, Campy is usually only 5 years late with current designs and tech, NW is at least 6 y.o.?

Mzilliox
01-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Campy doesn't make the other components to run an intended 1x drivetrain as the other makers do so it's not surprising that Wolf Tooth et al aren't investing in the tooling for this. You'd be running a 1x ring on a Campy crank just to use other bits from another manufacturer or doing some other not-clutch option like a Road Link, right?

Just seems there are better options until Campy makes a clutch RD. Until then it's just Campy for Campy's sake. Not that there isn't a market for that (on this board). ;)

I do know that Campy shifters with a Shift Mate and SRAM RD can work like a charm.

Campy for Campy sake and those levers, they are just so good. I have to try the new Sram ones, but glad to know the elegant shifters can be used with the SRAM RD...

FlashUNC
01-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Something third party may pop up. Doubt you'll see anything from the crew in Vicenza.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2018, 08:52 AM
That's weird, Campy is usually only 5 years late with current designs and tech, NW is at least 6 y.o.?

1by is a niche of a niche of a niche, segment, in spite of the interest here. Geez, do Campag 1by with a chain watcher...works fine.

OBTW-and not saying ‘speed’ increase is any solution to anything but Campag...
-first to 9(1997)
-first to 10s(2000) and
-first to 11s(2009), that the other makers followed.

CDM
01-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Ahhhhhhh

Mikej
01-08-2018, 09:11 AM
1by is a niche of a niche of a niche, segment, in spite of the interest here. Geez, do Campag 1by with a chain watcher...works fine.

OBTW-and not saying ‘speed’ increase is any solution to anything but Campag...
-first to 9(1997)
-first to 10s(2000) and
-first to 11s(2009), that the other makers followed.

Another kick a$$ joke lost on the inter webs...

AngryScientist
01-08-2018, 09:41 AM

i was thinking of doing 40T chainring and 11-34 out back. that would be good for most general riding. i'm certain that the potenza or centaur mid cage RD would handle that swing without a problem, no clutches needed.

this is a down the line project anyway - maybe something third party will pop up eventually for the campy crank.

does anyone know - is the bcd the same for the all of the 4-arm campy cranks?

FlashUNC
01-08-2018, 10:09 AM
i was thinking of doing 40T chainring and 11-34 out back. that would be good for most general riding. i'm certain that the potenza or centaur mid cage RD would handle that swing without a problem, no clutches needed.

this is a down the line project anyway - maybe something third party will pop up eventually for the campy crank.

does anyone know - is the bcd the same for the all of the 4-arm campy cranks?

Yup, its the same.

Fwiw, I've had a SRAM system shift across a Campy cogset with no issues for several months now. If you'd rather not have to do the wheelset swap out agony, SRAM 1x would be an option.

ColonelJLloyd
01-08-2018, 10:59 AM
no clutches needed.

Right, but to be fair none of the systems need a clutch for shifting. No doubt a full Campy system will shift 40t front and 11-34t out back fine. Probably won't want for the clutch if the terrain isn't rutty or washboard like.

vqdriver
01-08-2018, 11:08 AM
just use a different crank. once you get into direct mount, there's a load of other options

tuscanyswe
01-08-2018, 11:45 AM
I really like the look and ease of chainring change on the new easton ec90 crank (direct mount).
I think it can look pretty okay with campy chorus group.

Have mine with an e thirteen bb. Possibly the easiest crank install i had even tho its a pf30 frame .)

Mzilliox
01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
I really like the look and ease of chainring change on the new easton ec90 crank (direct mount).
I think it can look pretty okay with campy chorus group.

Have mine with an e thirteen bb. Possibly the easiest crank install i had even tho its a pf30 frame .)

good to hear as i just went all in on this system, 42t single, 50-34 double, and the PM with their own threaded BB... hoping for many happy miles on this crankset, and maybe even some Campagnolo levers to please my hands...

d_douglas
01-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Hi Nick:

What I am about to say only mildly pertains to your question, but . . . .

What is the difference in bolt pattern between Shimano 4 arm and Campy 4 arm? Are they totally different?

I ask because (back in the simple old days two years ago) I simply modified a chainring by a few mm to fit a Campy 34t onto a Ritchey Logic crankset. I rounded out the 112mm offset hole to accommodate the 110mm BCD of the cranks and I cannot possibly see how this could be a problem safety-wise or performance wise. It all worked perfectly together. That said, the 4-arm setup is likely more finicky than the 5-arm system.

I also have had the Holy Grail compact 110mm BCD Centaur square taper crankset set up with a Raceface Narrow Wide and it obviously works great, but then you are dealing with ST technology and that might not be ideal.

I am pining to sell my Ultegra hydro group to get the same Potenza group that you are using, though with hydro braking. It seems great.

tuscanyswe
01-08-2018, 12:03 PM
good to hear as i just went all in on this system, 42t single, 50-34 double, and the PM with their own threaded BB... hoping for many happy miles on this crankset, and maybe even some Campagnolo levers to please my hands...

Yeah really nice!
Think their own pf30 solution was not threaded together (or at least i couldent find info confirming it) and I've had really good experience with e13 pf30 bb but otherwise I'm sure eastons own is just as nice.

Sounds like a sweet setup esp with the pm!