PDA

View Full Version : Carbon saddle rails?

PNW
01-07-2018, 02:21 AM
I know they tend to be lighter overall in grams..but do they really offer any benefit that’s worth the extra $$ other than weight loss?

Kontact
01-07-2018, 04:03 AM
We looked at carbon rails, and the general feeling was that there was no way they could reliably act as suspension when you can't control where they are going to be clamped (set back).

They are a hair lighter than the lightest metal rails, require alternative seat post clamps and are not as durable as metal.

macaroon
01-07-2018, 04:54 AM
My gut instinct is that a solid carbon rail is probably stiffer than a hollow Ti rail, I'd also guess stronger aswell.

Two things I doubt you'd ever notice though.

I use them as they're usually a good bit lighter.

shovelhd
01-07-2018, 06:46 AM
On the same model saddle, my experience is that the carbon rail saddle flexes a little more. That's why I use them exclusively.

kramnnim
01-07-2018, 06:51 AM
On the SLR saddles I use, the shell is much more flexible than the rails, so I don't think rail material matters. (I certainly can't tell a difference)

10 grams lighter! :banana:

skouri1
01-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Flex no flex I can't say, as I changed the saddle with the post.
But one distinct advantage is that--in my experience with prologos at least--metal rails eventually loosen (over years) in their plastic sockets and start to squeak. Carbon rails are epoxied in, so there is little to no chance of that.

Other than that, they're expensive and require different seatpost hardware sometimes, so I'm back on metal.

GregL
01-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Biggest advantage I can see is that carbon rails don't rust. They also lighten your wallet. Other than that, no discernible difference. I have them on two bikes with no problems so far...

Greg

1centaur
01-07-2018, 08:25 AM
I love carbon but I am indifferent on saddle rails.

AngryScientist
01-07-2018, 08:35 AM
it's hard to make a direct comparison, i think. most of the manufacturers only offer their top tier model of the saddle with carbon rails, which also means different padding and shell, so i dont think there are too many cases where you can get the exact same saddle with the choice of carbon or alloy rails. i may be mistaken on this.

i personally dont think i can feel any difference in the way the saddle feels based on the rails alone, but certainly can with the difference between a carbon shell saddle and a composit plastic one.

ls1togo
01-07-2018, 08:38 AM
I have both, stainless steel and carbon on SMP Lite 209's and can't tell the difference...I've used them on various SMP's including Dynamic's and Drakon's with the same observation...so with the exception of a weight difference....

zap
01-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Started riding carbon railed saddle in the early/mid 90's. Never noticed any improvement in ride qualities. Not something I look for when it comes to saddle rails what with diaper bibs and padding on most of my saddles.

By the way, still have those first carbon railed saddles.

FlashUNC
01-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Have both, both ride fine, no durability or longevity issues with either alloy or carbon.

R3awak3n
01-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Its all about weight with this one. 30-50g depending on the saddle. To some it matters, to others it doesn't.

PNW
01-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Awesome feedback! Thanks Paceline!

lhuerta
01-07-2018, 11:46 AM
the differences r dampening & weight...

jonnyBgood
01-07-2018, 02:35 PM
From my experience the Carbon Rails are stiffer which allows the Saddle itself to flex a bit more and make things slightly more comfortable

93KgBike
01-07-2018, 10:09 PM
I feel no difference, but I definitely prefer carbon rails under a carbon saddle that says Selle Italia on it. So, pretty scientific that I need it.:banana: