PDA

View Full Version : using cork or rubber brake bads

trymorecowbell
09-28-2006, 07:38 AM
I just got a pair of carbon rimmed wheels requiring cork pads. Wondering if I can also use cork brake bads on alum rims so I don't have to switch pads when switching wheels?

Thanks

kkasper4
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
You can use cork or rubber pads made for carbon rims on your carbon wheels, and you can use cork on your aluminum rims, but it is not recommended that you use the same set of pads on your carbon rims that you do for your aluminum rims, regardless of pad type.

Too Tall
09-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Don't use cork on alum. rims...they will glaze real quick.

Get Kool Stop green pads. These are fine for carbon and OK not great but OK for alum. That's what I do and have done for several yrs. Others rightly comment that this is not good if you live in the mtns. due to the fact these pads have reduced effectiveness with alum. rims. I agree but would not lose sleep over it.

dave thompson
09-29-2006, 09:13 AM
I just got a pair of carbon rimmed wheels requiring cork pads. Wondering if I can also use cork brake bads on alum rims so I don't have to switch pads when switching wheels?

Thanks
Rather than switching pads, you could have two sets of pads in holders set up and then all you'd have to do is R&R the holders.