PDA

View Full Version : Motivation in late September

saab2000
09-28-2006, 06:07 AM
I am in VA Beach now for the time being and the weather is fantastic. But my motivation to get on the bike is nearly zero. Part of that is that I need to pack it up into the car each time I want to ride.

It seems like it should be fall by now but here there are very few signs.

My back has improved enough that I can get out for some short jogs, so I am doing more than nothing at least.

Does anyone else get this kind of lethargy at this time of year?

Too Tall
09-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Less light during waking hr.s is a culprit for me.
Training parthners can help ALOT.
Add something new you can do at home on "those" days such as mat Pilates, stretching, balance work etc.

saab2000
09-28-2006, 06:15 AM
You're right. A training partner would help.

My current apartment was a stop gap measure and I know I will have to move from here at the end of January when my lease ends. If (big if) I stay in this area it will be in a place where I can get on my bike to ride.

But I am definitely leaning towards returning to the nation's capitol at that time.

Fat Robert
09-28-2006, 07:22 AM
i always aim for peaks in april and august

so, after a couple of weeks to kick back at the start of september, i usually find my motivation stomping high right around this time, looking forward to a new training year, and trying to get decent at somethnig different (running)

maybe a naked lady on your stem?

worked for cipo....

bostondrunk
09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
i always aim for peaks in april and august

so, after a couple of weeks to kick back at the start of september, i usually find my motivation stomping high right around this time, looking forward to a new training year, and trying to get decent at somethnig different (running)

maybe a naked lady on your stem?

worked for cipo....

Where is the hot new bike you kept hinting at?!?!?!

OldDog
09-28-2006, 07:49 AM
This time of year the mtn bike comes out with the lights. Mostly for dirt back roads with some off roading thrown in. I look forward to our full moon rides.

J.Greene
09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
In FL this is the start of the real riding season. Even though the races are winding down until Feb, the heat has broken and mid day riding will be enjoyable again. I look forward to several weekend touring trips.

JG

I am in VA Beach now for the time being and the weather is fantastic. But my motivation to get on the bike is nearly zero. Part of that is that I need to pack it up into the car each time I want to ride.

It seems like it should be fall by now but here there are very few signs.

My back has improved enough that I can get out for some short jogs, so I am doing more than nothing at least.

Does anyone else get this kind of lethargy at this time of year?

saab2000
09-28-2006, 08:26 AM
In FL this is the start of the real riding season. Even though the races are winding down until Feb, the heat has broken and mid day riding will be enjoyable again. I look forward to several weekend touring trips.

JG

I know what you mean. I spent 3 months in Vero Beach from Nov 2003 until late Feb 2004. It was surreal. Riding in January!! Not bad! I did enjoy that very much, though the terrain was not real challenging. Still, I really liked A1A.

gt6267a
09-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Per the packing bike in car, I know your pain. For two years, I jammed my CRL in the back seat. The bike always flopped around and something always went wrong. Grease on my seats, odd angle that made me think the bike was under strain, or I don’t know. Basically, it just sucked.

Finally, I just searched on e-bay and found a used Yakima rack for $150. I added a tray for another $100 and the bikes now go upstairs.

Per motivation, while I could use advice in this department myself, having the rack is helping me a little. Today, I threw the mtn bike up there and will go after work. I never would have felt good about leaving the bike in the car all day pre-rack.

Ray
09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I always seem to ride a lot in late August and early September and then always get hit with the lazy stick when the weather starts cooling down. Late September and early October are usually really slow. I used to fight it, but to no avail, so now I don't even bother. I ride when I feel like it, for whatever distance I feel like, in whatever clothes and on whatever bike I feel like. And I walk the dog a lot.

Once I get used to the cooler weather, I generally catch a pretty good late season wind later in October and then do some of my best riding from then until it just gets too cold for anything but short rides. Which can go well into December or sometimes until just around Thanksgiving. I'm probably gonna ride today, but I might not and neither option is causing me any consternation at the moment.

-Ray

Fat Robert
09-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Where is the hot new bike you kept hinting at?!?!?!

production delay, bro

its the first of its kind -- the builders on the list can probably tell you that there were some unexpected hold ups when they made #1

its painted, but we're waiting on the decals....

looks like another week or so

onekgguy
09-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree with all that Ray said. There's no sense fighting it because that will only add to your frustration. It's sort of like finding a new food where you can't get enough of it for a few weeks. I was that way with some deli wrap sandwiches at a local grocery a few months back...couldn't get enough of them. Now, I can't stomach them. Moderation.

I'm feeling a bit more pressed to do stuff around the house lately now that the cooler weather is here. A bunch of yard work and the like. I've had plenty of bike time so it's probably time to back off before burnout sets in.

What happens if next spring arrives and you're still not motivated to ride? That happened to me with golf a while back. I used to love to golf a couple rounds each week and maybe hit the range once or twice a week. I was very passionate about it. Then, one spring I never took my clubs out and I've only golfed a half dozen times in the last 8-9 years and none in the last 3 years. I look forward to finding my passion for golf again when I retire but until then I'm fine without it. I don't see that same scenario playing out with my riding but who knows? Just so long as I've got something which I'm passionate about pursuing and is also a healthy endeavor.

Kevin

dauwhe
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I always seem to ride a lot in late August and early September and then always get hit with the lazy stick when the weather starts cooling down. Late September and early October are usually really slow. I used to fight it, but to no avail, so now I don't even bother. I ride when I feel like it, for whatever distance I feel like, in whatever clothes and on whatever bike I feel like. And I walk the dog a lot.

Once I get used to the cooler weather, I generally catch a pretty good late season wind later in October and then do some of my best riding from then until it just gets too cold for anything but short rides. Which can go well into December or sometimes until just around Thanksgiving. I'm probably gonna ride today, but I might not and neither option is causing me any consternation at the moment.

-Ray

Wise words... I'm feeling a bit burnt-out, quite understandable after a very intense brevet season. I felt the same thing last year, but perked up later in October. Part of it is not having any particular goals--all of this year's events are in the past. Soon enough I'll be focusing on next year...

Dave

Spinner
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
1) Take the computer off of your bike a just go for a ride; forget about speed and distance.

2) Engage in alternative exercise. I just returned from the gym having spent 40 intense minutes on an elliptical machine.

I've been riding multi-speed bikes for 34+ years, with less intensity in recent years. I love to bike as much as ever; I've just found it helpful to mix-it-up a bit. That's why I also like to engage in mountain biking.

TGIT

Kines
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Cyclocross!

CNY rider
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Two suggestions from the above posts that really work well for me: I ditch the computer, particularly on the commuter AND I start riding my cross bike on the seasonal gravel and dirt roads around here. Very refreshing, with no way to track mileage/performance etc. which has gotten old at this point in the season. I've already hit my mileage target for the year, so who cares any more?

manet
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM

onekgguy
09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
put this on wikipedia under marriage

Too funny!

Kevin

shinomaster
09-28-2006, 06:16 PM
cross!!!!

ti_boi
10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
I just turned 40 this September. the good news is that I have never been more relaxed....the bad news.....I have never been more relaxed...so in an effort to kick start a little mojo, blow out the old cardio vascular system, and encourage the love of my life (not my two dogs) to do the same....I bought this today......got a great deal on it if that makes a difference....

http://sportsartamerica.com/v2/commercial/cardio/ellipticals/807.asp

Thinking that I can use this on those soon to be cold, cold days and kind of space out with the iPod on whilst running in place..... :banana: <that's me!