PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey Fork reviews

campy man
01-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Hoping some Paceliners can share their experience with Whiskey forks.

Looking at the Whiskey No 7 for a Road32ish build ... thinking the fork would go nice with some TRP RG957 brakes.

ergott
01-05-2018, 09:24 PM
I have the 15mm thru axle. It's well finished and the specs worked for me. Ride is great, tracks well. I had a Kona before that.

https://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-RSZPqLQ

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JDino
01-06-2018, 05:31 AM
I have a Whiskey that came on my All City Mr. Pink so it's standard QR dropouts...but it's a great road fork, and super light.

My coworker was running the older Mr. Pink with the steel fork and recently got the matching Whiskey Fork and it lightened his bike by about 2 lbs....so it's a super light, well built fork. You could probably find cheaper alternatives but the Whiskey components are top notch. I have been running their carbon handlebars for years on my mountain bike and they are great. Whiskey is an awesome company to deal with too...they stand behind their products so if you ever have an issue, they'll take care of you.

mtb_frk
01-06-2018, 06:04 AM
I have a No. 7 disc cross fork, no complaints at all. It rides nice, and looks good as well.

jambee
01-06-2018, 12:00 PM
I have a Number 7 disk. It's awesome. It's light, flexes when you want it to and looks awesome. Go For It!

sand fungus
01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
I also have a no 7 disc and it has performed extremely well. It even survived a slight impact with a car 2 years ago.

eddief
01-06-2018, 10:16 PM
on my Curtlo. Replaced inexpensive IRD Mosaic 47. I can't quantify anything except my perception is I like riding my Curtlo way better with the new fork. As someone said, it seems the road feel is way way better. Less harsh. It's a looker too. Simple, unadorned.

BRad704
01-08-2018, 12:08 AM
Another No. 7 CX disc user here. I've been quite happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-08-2018, 10:02 AM
They're a good price, the hydraulic housing run is a lot more elegant than what Enve did (a groove and a clip) and they come in all the currently demanded steer diameters and fork tip designs and so on. They also are quite light. I found with a couple of them that they weren't as precise as an Enve -- a little bit of flex or folding on hard turns. My sense was that the steer was very rigid but the fork blades less so, but a through axle will tighten up the blades on almost any fork. They haven't been breaking, which is always a good sign, and they've sold a ton of them so if their Asian shop is shipping defectives, we aren't seeing them. Most people want the new favored steer diameter, through axle configuration, caliper configuration, and a good hydraulic housing pathway. These check all those boxes. Get it painted to match the frame and nobody will know what it is anyway. No reason not to get it. I could nitpick handling slightly but with through axles, as mentioned, they really work fine.

cachagua
01-08-2018, 12:14 PM
I've got one for QR axle and med-reach caliper brakes. My first impression is, it doesn't feel outstandingly stiff... however, my reference is an Igleheart segmented fork, which I'd happily jack up my car with. Yes, it outweighs the Whisky. Apples and oranges.

Tire clearance is good, I can get Bon Jons, 35C Gravel Kings, or Conti CrossRides under TRP brakes. This works best with a rim no wider than a TB14; a Belgium+ opens the brakes up so far that there's less tire room.

Their directions say don't use stems with internal clamps (e.g. Thomson Elite), and leave a couple of spacers above the stem. The latter is sort of an esthetic issue, although I try to keep a sense of proportion between esthetics and, ya know, riding.

The first consideration -- I'm like, the clamp squeezes the steerer, that's the same no matter what stem, isn't it? And it doesn't need to squeeze it much, all you need is to keep the bars from spinning independently from the front wheel, which shouldn't require monstrous torque on the pinch bolts. Anyway isn't that the least of the steerer's worries? The bending force at the top of the headset is both greater, and more concentrated, it seems to me. If anybody's got a different perspective on this, I'd be happy to hear it.

Also I thought their expander was really cheezy, it was hard to keep it in position during adjustment and then it loosened up repeatedly on my first test ride. I took it out and put in an Enve, which I had to torque up tighter than normal to get it to fit the apparently larger inside diameter. Not the place I would have liked them to skimp on material. But if they're afraid of the stem clamp collapsing the steerer, the Enve expander will certainly resist that a lot more than the stock one.

Anyway, there it is in the bike, I'll ride it. I'm telling myself the instructions are just ass-covering, not really a warning of danger.

ColonelJLloyd
01-08-2018, 12:17 PM
I really wish they made the Road Plus fork with a post disc mount.

skouri1
01-08-2018, 12:51 PM
I bought one to replace a seven 5e and I like it.
I think fork stiffness is overrated (but maybe because I am small). Stiff enough for me and very nicely finished. A good deal, I think, for the price. I had an LBS hook me up. But these can be had on Jenson with a coupon for a song...

yetitotheheady
01-08-2018, 01:35 PM
I have the NO.7 RD+ QR MID-REACH and I'm a big fan. Been waitnig years for a fork like this. Have run WTB Exposure 30, 34, and WTB Riddler 37 all fit but the Riddler 37 is too tight for debris/mud. I think a true 35 on whatever rim you have would be ideal.

weisan
01-08-2018, 01:57 PM
$400

Luwabra
01-08-2018, 07:15 PM
i have the #7 canti on my nature boy and its awesome. about to acquire the road+ fork for my bmc. looking fwd to a good 2018. Ive had 0 issues. 0 the canti fork shuddered a little until i went through the proper channels of pad placement/cant and ultimately went with a mini V up front and canti rear.

road+ fork on my fauxtorola was really nice and extremely light. im a fan. can't go wrong imo

eddief
01-08-2018, 07:31 PM
is a little tricky but once you drop it into the steerer a couple of times you learn to tighten just right to keep it stationary and then all is jut fine. But it is not a straight forward no brainer.

zacstanley
02-24-2018, 06:39 PM
i have the #7 canti on my nature boy and its awesome. about to acquire the road+ fork for my bmc. looking fwd to a good 2018. Ive had 0 issues. 0 the canti fork shuddered a little until i went through the proper channels of pad placement/cant and ultimately went with a mini V up front and canti rear.

road+ fork on my fauxtorola was really nice and extremely light. im a fan. can't go wrong imo

Any chance you got a tire bigger than a 38c in this fork?

SpeedyChix
02-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Found the mtb versions to be great. As a light rider I did find the disc road/cx one was a bit harsher riding than some other forks. No issues with the fork though. Same for their drop bar.