PDA

View Full Version : Go Dawgs

joosttx
01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Can not believe no one is talking about the National Championship Game this Monday. It is going to be a tough one. I predict my Georgia Bulldogs will win.

msl819
01-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Can not believe no one is talking about the National Championship Game this Monday. It is going to be a tough one. I predict my Georgia Bulldogs will win.

I am pulling for Georgia as well. If they can keep from giving up a large lead early I think they will take it. OU’s defense wasn’t up for the challenge of the UGA run game in the 2nd half but Bama’s will. I predict a low scoring defensive battle that UGA wins late.

msl819
01-05-2018, 08:23 PM
I also don’t like having two SEC schools in the Championship game. I don’t think you should be able to get into the playoff if you didn’t win your conference even if it is clear you are a better team than one who got in who was a conference champ. I live in SEC country and am mostly an LSU fan. I’d rather see teams play that don’t match up often or at all in the regular season

josephr
01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
I also don’t like having two SEC schools in the Championship game. I don’t think you should be able to get into the playoff if you didn’t win your conference even if it is clear you are a better team than one who got in who was a conference champ. I live in SEC country and am mostly an LSU fan. I’d rather see teams play that don’t match up often or at all in the regular season

sorry you don't like it...maybe you guys could work out more and play a little harder and maybe y'all can get a shot? :rolleyes:

Roll Tide!

joosttx
01-05-2018, 08:46 PM
sorry you don't like it...maybe you guys could work out more and play a little harder and maybe y'all can get a shot? :rolleyes:

Roll Tide!

Bama sucks.

msl819
01-05-2018, 08:47 PM

Roll Tide!

I hear ya... but I would feel the same way if it were Penn State and Ohio State. I will say this. Bama was definitely back to full strength last week. The team I saw the last month of the season, I didn’t even think was top 4 in the nation. Their defense looked dang good against Clemson.

msl819
01-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Bama sucks.

I completely agree!

cadence90
01-05-2018, 08:55 PM

I am pulling for Georgia as well. If they can keep from giving up a large lead early I think they will take it. OU’s defense wasn’t up for the challenge of the UGA run game in the 2nd half but Bama’s will. I predict a low scoring defensive battle that UGA wins late.

Bama sucks.

https://vangogh.teespring.com/v3/image/FWfxZcc1XQdJ0q_jsBmfxTrbdgw/480/560.jpg

https://vangogh.teespring.com/v3/image/f2v2Mnhk0PObtoMpHFdxBJFbhVY/480/560.jpg

:D

MattTuck
01-05-2018, 08:58 PM
4 teams really seems pretty limited for a play off. On the other hand, until the players start getting paid, I'm not sure it would be fair to add more games to justify another round or two of playoffs.

msl819
01-05-2018, 08:59 PM
I love that UCF is declaring themselves National Champs. Everyone will blast them for it but for decades we had multiple schools laying claim to titles.

msl819
01-05-2018, 09:01 PM
4 teams really seems pretty limited for a play off. On the other hand, until the players start getting paid, I'm not sure it would be fair to add more games to justify another round or two of playoffs.

You say that but it happens at every level of football except FBS. It has little to do with player safety and everything to do with $$$. An 8 team playoff only adds one game per school.

sales guy
01-05-2018, 09:02 PM
As a Buckeyes fan, I am rooting for the Dawgs. It should be an interesting game to watch. As long as the Warriors aren't on.

wc1934
01-05-2018, 09:14 PM
I love that UCF is declaring themselves National Champs. Everyone will blast them for it but for decades we had multiple schools laying claim to titles.
Yup. Me too, and I like the fact that they paid their coaches the bonuses as stipulated in their contact if the won the national championship.

wc1934
01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Exactly. Only conference champions should be eligible. If not then expand the number of teams entering the playoffs.

josephr
01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
I hear ya... but I would feel the same way if it were Penn State and Ohio State. I will say this. Bama was definitely back to full strength last week. The team I saw the last month of the season, I didn’t even think was top 4 in the nation. Their defense looked dang good against Clemson.

Fair enough....I hope they move to an 8 game system soon, but working the details and fitting that around school finals makes some challenges. But, like Nick Saban discusses, the more we focus on playoffs, the less each seasons' games means. I'm actually surprised after last year's fiasco when Penn State won the conference championship and had on-field win over Ohio State, yet Ohio State was picked to go into the Final 4???? That was a load of BS and Urban Meyer proved what a waste of time his team was that year.

Bama's defense looked strong, fresh against Clemson and Georgia looked like a complete team against OK Sooners. Its definitely going to be an interesting game and really, the Chubb/Michel duo reminds me of Auburn's Brown/Williams pair of 2005. GA has the advantage at QB too, as Hurts has a strong arm, but sometimes the offense just seems to sit down when they're comfortable and rely on defense to run the clock out. They'll have to stop the run game and make Fromm throw it and hope the secondary can do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Bama needs to run effectively and control the clock. If it gets into a shoot-out, GA will win out.

For the record, I'm a Auburn fan first, and had some good games this year, just a little inconsistent...and they were dead tired at the SEC Championship game....plus, Kirby had his team ready....can't take that away from them at all.

Still, I really enjoy saying "Roll Tide"....there's immense entertainment value behind those words---as you can tell by others' reactions here! :banana:

cadence90
01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
.... ..

msl819
01-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Fair enough....I hope they move to an 8 game system soon, but working the details and fitting that around school finals makes some challenges. But, like Nick Saban discusses, the more we focus on playoffs, the less each seasons' games means. I'm actually surprised after last year's fiasco when Penn State won the conference championship and had on-field win over Ohio State, yet Ohio State was picked to go into the Final 4???? That was a load of BS and Urban Meyer proved what a waste of time his team was that year.

Bama's defense looked strong, fresh against Clemson and Georgia looked like a complete team against OK Sooners. Its definitely going to be an interesting game and really, the Chubb/Michel duo reminds me of Auburn's Brown/Williams pair of 2005. GA has the advantage at QB too, as Hurts has a strong arm, but sometimes the offense just seems to sit down when they're comfortable and rely on defense to run the clock out. They'll have to stop the run game and make Fromm throw it and hope the secondary can do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Bama needs to run effectively and control the clock. If it gets into a shoot-out, GA will win out.

For the record, I'm a Auburn fan first, and had some good games this year, just a little inconsistent...and they were dead tired at the SEC Championship game....plus, Kirby had his team ready....can't take that away from them at all.

Still, I really enjoy saying "Roll Tide"....there's immense entertainment value behind those words---as you can tell by others' reactions here! :banana:

If you are an Auburn fan first, the words Roll Tide should never exit your mouth! I agree with the idea that an 8 team playoff could lessen the importance of regular season games but again all that really means is less money to be made. Attendance numbers are already down around the country. With huge stadium additions in the last decade and TV being a preferred option for many I can only imagine some of the conversations being had in the powers that be offices. Add to that the growing reality that people are cutting the cable cord and already forcing giants like ESPN to gut their staff, folks are getting nervous. I would even argue that an all SEC is bad for ratings as large parts of the nation will be less interested since they don’t even have a regional team in the game.

BlueFly
01-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Them Dawgs are hell aint they? Hell yea!

“Take a leg off ‘em boys!”

msl819
01-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Definitely. And UCF's claim is far more legit than some others. This is some pretty funny stuff (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21954302/ucf-not-first-school-call-national-champion):

:help:

Exactly and Georgia And Bama fans will scream about this but UCF best Auburn who beat Bama and Georgia in the regular season. The college football equivalent of sticking it to the man!!!

joosttx
01-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Exactly and Georgia And Bama fans will scream about this but UCF best Auburn who beat Bama and Georgia in the regular season. The college football equivalent of sticking it to the man!!!

Rumor has it, half the Auburn players were hungover for that game.

berserk87
01-05-2018, 09:47 PM
SEC fatigue. Makes for not-so-compelling viewing.

R3awak3n
01-05-2018, 09:51 PM
ATL all the way. Go dawgs!

msl819
01-05-2018, 09:53 PM
SEC fatigue. Makes for not-so-compelling viewing.

My point exactly! At least they didn’t meet in the regular season like Bama and LSU did in 2011.

cadence90
01-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Rumor has it, half the Auburn players were hungover for that game.

Facts are, UCF beat the brakes off the other 102.

;)

sales guy
01-05-2018, 10:24 PM

Agreed OSU should not have gotten in. It should be the Conference Champs. And an 8 team playoff. They pushed OSU in cause the first year ratings with them and Oregon had the best ratings. Every year after has gone down. The Big 10 and OSU especially have a massive following. And the fans travel. They spend a ton of cash. Which is why OSU and many of the Big 10 teams are at the top for most valuable college teams.

This year, OSU should've been in given they won. Last year, no. Also Barrett is a flake and Meyer should've found someone and groomed him last year. Barrett is too inconsistent. Just look at the OK game.

peanutgallery
01-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Georgia grad here, loved the experience...hated the redneck football fans. Pretty much hate SEC football, but I hope UGA beats Alabama - which is a total cow college. In Tuscaloosa, coloring books aren't just for the football players.

For the record, Go Big Red. Where I grew up it's a pick up line, term of endearment and a greeting. Glad Scott Frost is home, from a few towns away, probably the same dirt road

msl819
01-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Georgia grad here, loved the experience...hated the redneck football fans. Pretty much hate SEC football, but I hope UGA beats Alabama - which is a total cow college. In Tuscaloosa, coloring books aren't just for the football players.

For the record, Go Big Red. Where I grew up it's a pick up line, term of endearment and a greeting. Glad Scott Frost is home, from a few towns away, probably the same dirt road

Agreed... Frost seems like one of the good ones. I am rooting for him to bring Nebraska back to the national scene. What he did at UCF was nothing short of remarkable. I hope Nebraska is willing/able to keep up with the spending needed to compete at the highest level. College football doesn’t need the wishbone but it is better when schools like Nebraska are relevant.

cadence90
01-05-2018, 11:19 PM
I'm really only a UCLA fan (Josh Rosen not so much to be honest...very good qb, though) and don't really care about other teams except of course always hoping that USC loses every time.

I am hoping that Georgia wins this game mainly because they at least have a player at the qb position who actually plays the qb position...I am so tired of these boring, ho-hum, middle-of-the-road managers like Hurts, Barrett, Bryant, etc. As a true freshman with a great future, Fromm is a better qb than all of those guys, including Mayfield, imo.

Yes, I also hope that Nebraska + Frost will be good.
I wonder if Jimbo will deliver at Texas A&M, or Kelly at UCLA for that matter.

bob heinatz
01-05-2018, 11:23 PM
I hate the Tide. So go Georgia.

72gmc
01-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Torn. I want to ignore the game and see the crappy committee/espn lobbyists get lousy ratings. But Georgia is fun to watch.

msl819
01-05-2018, 11:31 PM
I'm really only a UCLA fan (Josh Rosen not so much to be honest...very good qb, though) and don't really care about other teams except of course always hoping that USC loses every time.

I am hoping that Georgia wins this game mainly because they at least have a player at the qb position who actually plays the qb position...I am so tired of these boring, ho-hum, middle-of-the-road managers like Hurts, Barrett, Bryant, etc. As a true freshman with a great future, Fromm is a better qb than all of those guys, including Mayfield, imo.

Yes, I also hope that Nebraska + Frost will be good.
I wonder if Jimbo will deliver at Texas A&M, or Kelly at UCLA for that matter.

As wide as the folks I’m College Station have opened their checkbooks it will be hard for Jimbo not have success. If he can get and keep the top tier talent from Texas alone he will be something to deal with. 7 years 70 million... maybe I should have stayed in coaching!

cadence90
01-06-2018, 12:11 AM
As wide as the folks I’m College Station have opened their checkbooks it will be hard for Jimbo not have success. If he can get and keep the top tier talent from Texas alone he will be something to deal with. 7 years 70 million... maybe I should have stayed in coaching!

Wait, Jimbo is going to be paid $10M/year, like Gruden with the Raiders? Wow....

Kelly will be paid $4.8M/year at UCLA, just out of the current FBS Top 10.
Definitely not peanuts either way. Amazing.

Louis
01-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Wait, Jimbo is going to be paid $10M/year, like Gruden with the Raiders? Wow....

This tells you everything you need to know about big-time "collegiate" football.

It's about winning and money, nothing else. The players happen to be registered students at an accredited university and the coaches have offices on that same campus, but those are merely incidental details.

taz-t
01-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Go Dawgs!

No trash talking from me (unless it's about Georgia Tech).

Taz - UGA '87

peanutgallery
01-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Sex kills, Go to GA Tech and live forever

Go Dawgs!

No trashing talking from me (unless it's about Georgia Tech).

Taz - UGA '87

peanutgallery
01-06-2018, 06:53 AM
10 years and $75 million gets paid no matter what

I hope Jumbo falls on his face

cadence90
01-06-2018, 07:25 AM
10 years and $75 million gets paid no matter what

I hope Jumbo falls on his face

Crazy stuff. As of December 8, 2017:

15. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State, $4.38M/year
14. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $4.66M/year
11 (tie). Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Willie Taggart, Florida State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Scott Frost, Nebraska, $5M/year
10. Gary Patterson, TCU, $5.1M/year
9. Tom Herman, Texas, $5.5M/year
8. David Shaw, Stanford, $5.6M/year
7. Dan Mullen, Florida, $6.1M/year
6. Urban Meyer, Ohio State, $6.13M/year
5. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan, $6.8M/year
3 (tie). Gus Malzahn, Auburn, $7M/year
3 (tie). Dabo Swinney, Clemson, $7M/year
2. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M, $7.5M/year
1. Nick Saban, Alabama, $11.2M/year

:eek:

KJMUNC
01-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Glad someone brought this up. As a former o-lineman who played for the Dawgs in the mid-90's it has been an amazing ride to watch. Kirby and I were in the same starting class (along with Hines Ward) and he's the coach we need to turn the program into a national powerhouse instead of one with high expectations who always seems to fall short.

There are so many great storylines within the UGA team: Chubb returning from a potentially career ending knee injury for his senior year when he could've tried his hand at the NFL, Fromm - the true freshman QB who is playing like a seasoned veteran and leading his team, Kirby - returning to his alma mater to turn a program around and getting a chance to take down his mentor on the biggest stage.....

It just doesn't get any better than that!! Monday's game will be smash-mouth football and I think higher scoring than most expect. Dawgs win but it will be a close game!

Here's a pic from '95-ish....obviously in my pre-cycling days and 120lbs heavier than my best racing weight!

peanutgallery
01-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Crazy indeed, definitely a bit of a plantation mentality.
Coaches and administrators making bank and the players are Year to Year and at risk of injury etc. Monday will be a perfect example of that, neither team will have many players that are there for an education or the college experience. In fact, a large portion would have never been accepted but for football. This is a problem in the not so long term

Crazy stuff. As of December 8, 2017:

15. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State, $4.38M/year
14. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $4.66M/year
11 (tie). Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Willie Taggart, Florida State, $5M/year
11 (tie). Scott Frost, Nebraska, $5M/year
10. Gary Patterson, TCU, $5.1M/year
9. Tom Herman, Texas, $5.5M/year
8. David Shaw, Stanford, $5.6M/year
7. Dan Mullen, Florida, $6.1M/year
6. Urban Meyer, Ohio State, $6.13M/year
5. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan, $6.8M/year
3 (tie). Gus Malzahn, Auburn, $7M/year
3 (tie). Dabo Swinney, Clemson, $7M/year
2. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M, $7.5M/year
1. Nick Saban, Alabama, $11.2M/year

:eek:

joosttx
01-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Awesome! I was at UGA at the beginnings ng of the Richt era. I tutored a couple of the players in Biological sciences. When there I lived in a guest house of an older couple where the husband had a stroke resulting in half his body beimg paralyzed. He would watch the Georgia games and push his chair using his functional leg on the wood flood in a circle so that he couldnt see the TV while cheering. I would always have to move him back in front of the TV .

Good looking picture!

Glad someone brought this up. As a former o-lineman who played for the Dawgs in the mid-90's it has been an amazing ride to watch. Kirby and I were in the same starting class (along with Hines Ward) and he's the coach we need to turn the program into a national powerhouse instead of one with high expectations who always seems to fall short.

There are so many great storylines within the UGA team: Chubb returning from a potentially career ending knee injury for his senior year when he could've tried his hand at the NFL, Fromm - the true freshman QB who is playing like a seasoned veteran and leading his team, Kirby - returning to his alma mater to turn a program around and getting a chance to take down his mentor on the biggest stage.....

It just doesn't get any better than that!! Monday's game will be smash-mouth football and I think higher scoring than most expect. Dawgs win but it will be a close game!

Here's a pic from '95-ish....obviously in my pre-cycling days and 120lbs heavier than my best racing weight!

msl819
01-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Awesome indeed. I was playing in college through the mid 90s as well (94-98). Good on you for dropping 120 lbs. We had a reunion this past fall to celebrate a 1997 Championship team. It was crazy to see guy who were 300 plus in college who were now low 200s and guys who were low 200s in college who are now pushing 300. It is amazing what happens when some stop eating and when some stop running. I am sure watching Kirby makes this run extra special as both an alum and former athlete at UGA. Between Maria Taylor and David Polluck you guys are well represented on ESPN as well. Here to hoping they win for KJMUNC!

I miss the days of the neck roll, huge shoulder pads and when players actually wore pads in their pants!

jlwdm
01-06-2018, 11:47 AM
This seemed to be a weak year for college football. It seemed ridiculous to me to talk about an 8 team playoff this year when I did not feel like there were 4 teams worthy of the playoffs.

I didn't have much interest in last week's games and don't have much interest in Monday's game.

The NFL also seems weak this year. Not a lot of really good teams.

Jeff

msl819
01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
This seemed to be a weak year for college football. It seemed ridiculous to me to talk about an 8 team playoff this year when I did not feel like there were 4 teams worthy of the playoffs.

I didn't have much interest in last week's games and don't have much interest in Monday's game.

The NFL also seems weak this year. Not a lot of really good teams.

Jeff

While I agree that CFB seemed and felt down, that is all the more reason to argue for an 8 team playoff for me. I felt like this year unlike past years it really could be anybody’s year. Throw in one more round and four more team and in some years a “Cinderella” may actually have a chance - maybe not to win but maybe they topple Goliath and make it fun to see. That is the magic of the NCAA basketball tournament to me. It comes down to match ups. I personally think OU was best equipped to best Bama. But we didn’t see that matchup. Given four more team maybe we see some intrigue we haven’t seen before. Last years Chanpionship game was good but for the years prior most of these playoff game were not great games to watch.

msl819
01-06-2018, 12:23 PM

We need to see a current pic to see the transformation!

KJMUNC
01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
We need to see a current pic to see the transformation!

Ha! I'm nowhere near racing weight now....once upon a time (12-13yrs ago) I raced at 165-170lbs. I'm a good 40lbs from that now.

msl819
01-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Ha! I'm nowhere near racing weight now....once upon a time (12-13yrs ago) I raced at 165-170lbs. I'm a good 40lbs from that now.

The lightest I got post playing days was 190. I hover between 215-220 these days which is about my playing weight though 20 years later those pounds don’t look, perform, not ache, or anything like they used to!

LegendRider
01-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Sex kills, Go to GA Tech and live forever

Why don't they have a nativity scene at UGA during Christmas? They can't find three wise men and virgin.

Go Jackets!

josephr
01-06-2018, 08:07 PM
If you are an Auburn fan first, the words Roll Tide should never exit your mouth! I agree with the idea that an 8 team playoff could lessen the importance of regular season games but again all that really means is less money to be made. Attendance numbers are already down around the country. With huge stadium additions in the last decade and TV being a preferred option for many I can only imagine some of the conversations being had in the powers that be offices. Add to that the growing reality that people are cutting the cable cord and already forcing giants like ESPN to gut their staff, folks are getting nervous. I would even argue that an all SEC is bad for ratings as large parts of the nation will be less interested since they don’t even have a regional team in the game.

I actually find it amusing that the most rabid, die-hard fans never even went to college, much less either UA or AU. I'm not about poisoning trees or throwing liquor bottles. I'm not sure about it being bad for ratings though. ESPN is not featuring the game on ABC (its own network) forcing people like me who don't purchase cable, to go to a friends' house or a sports bar or something. Maybe fewer TVs receiving a signal, but to say fewer people are watching because its uninteresting due to an all-SEC Championship game is a stretch. I don't watch the NFL because the players kneel, I don't watch the NFL because its a pass-oriented game with too many silly rules.

Agreed OSU should not have gotten in. It should be the Conference Champs. And an 8 team playoff. They pushed OSU in cause the first year ratings with them and Oregon had the best ratings. Every year after has gone down. The Big 10 and OSU especially have a massive following. And the fans travel. They spend a ton of cash. Which is why OSU and many of the Big 10 teams are at the top for most valuable college teams.

This year, OSU should've been in given they won. Last year, no. Also Barrett is a flake and Meyer should've found someone and groomed him last year. Barrett is too inconsistent. Just look at the OK game.

Barrett's selection as QB isn't about his performance so much as about keeping him quiet about the mega-bucks he's been paid by the boosters. Unfortunately, Bama is in the same position with Hurts so we'll be seeing him for the next few years. :help:

josephr
01-06-2018, 08:11 PM

...is UGA going to wear all-black again???

joosttx
01-06-2018, 08:14 PM

Sadly, I was in attendance at that game. The tickets were a birthday gift from my wife.

KJMUNC
01-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Never again.....Kirby isnt about gimmicks

msl819
01-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Are you trying to say the turnover chain is gimmicky?

lookout2015
01-07-2018, 03:50 PM

You must not have seen those stupid gold shoulder spikes....

cadence90
01-07-2018, 04:30 PM
...is UGA going to wear all-black again???Never again.....Kirby isnt about gimmicks

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/umga_zpskictumzp.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/umga_zpskictumzp.jpg.html)

Red Tornado
01-07-2018, 04:32 PM
This year's final four...
OU: Glad they didn't make it. Can't stand Heisman boy, even though I like the Big 12 & my daughter's college is a B12 school. OU got some players but Mayfield's ruined it for me.
Clemson: Was pulling for them to prevent an all SEC final but they just didn't have the talent.
Bama: Neutral on this team. Liked Saban from his Michigan State days & they are good, but understand folk wanting to see someone else at/near the top year in & out. They're there because they win. Patriots of the NCAA.
Georgia: Like them because they're the underdog (no pun intended). Better be able to establish that running game or will be a long night. Freshman QB pretty impressive, pretty good D.

Heart wants a Bulldog win, head says Bama takes it.

I like the 8 team playoff too.

UCF? Getting better and a very good team, but IMO would have been beat by any of the final four. Bama would destroy them. A few more years + tougher schedule they could be legit.

msl819
01-07-2018, 04:57 PM
This year's final four...
OU: Glad they didn't make it. Can't stand Heisman boy, even though I like the Big 12 & my daughter's college is a B12 school. OU got some players but Mayfield's ruined it for me.
Clemson: Was pulling for them to prevent an all SEC final but they just didn't have the talent.
Bama: Neutral on this team. Liked Saban from his Michigan State days & they are good, but understand folk wanting to see someone else at/near the top year in & out. They're there because they win. Patriots of the NCAA.
Georgia: Like them because they're the underdog (no pun intended). Better be able to establish that running game or will be a long night. Freshman QB pretty impressive, pretty good D.

Heart wants a Bulldog win, head says Bama takes it.

I like the 8 team playoff too.

UCF? Getting better and a very good team, but IMO would have been beat by any of the final four. Bama would destroy them. A few more years + tougher schedule they could be legit.

i agree UCF would have likely lost by three scores to any of the final four playoff teams I just Love that they are declaring themselves National Champs like so many other schools have done. They will be blasted and mocked by the power 5 schools for doing so. I just love that their administration is doing it. And not just saying it but compensating coaches and i treating players thusly.

sales guy
01-08-2018, 08:06 PM
GO DAWGS!!!

Up by 3. Just need to keep going.

msl819
01-08-2018, 08:34 PM
GO DAWGS!!!

Up by 3. Just need to keep going.

Gonna need to score touchdowns and not field goals to beat Bama. They are moving the ball well.

sales guy
01-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Gonna need to score touchdowns and not field goals to beat Bama. They are moving the ball well.

Agreed. But they seem to be solid right now. Up 6 - 0
I would like to know WTH is with Jalen and his pornstash?

sales guy
01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
13 nothing at the half!!!

WOW! Great game.

GO DAWGS!

msl819
01-08-2018, 08:51 PM
13 nothing at the half!!!

WOW! Great game.

GO DAWGS!

We will see how Bama adjusts but UGA certainly doesn’t look to be out manned. Great game for sure. Bama is a champion so I certainly expect them to fight.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 08:54 PM
We will see how Bama adjusts but UGA certainly doesn’t look to be out manned. Great game for sure. Bama is a champion so I certainly expect them to fight.

That long run by Fromm a few plays before the UGA TD showed that UGA is absolutely, positively NOT afraid of Alabama...not in the least.

msl819
01-08-2018, 09:01 PM
That long run by Fromm a few plays before the UGA TD showed that UGA is absolutely, positively NOT afraid of Alabama...not in the least.

Agreed, and they shouldn’t be. But it is far from over. Just asks KC Chiefs fan how safe this lead is. I’ll be interested to see if Bama stays with Hurt or if they give the Freshman a chance to throw it around the field

Ken Robb
01-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Why bother with conference championships if the winner of a "major" conference doesn't get to play for a "national" championship? I'd like to see conference champions duke it out even if the third place team from one conference might be a better team than another conference's champion.

msl819
01-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Why bother with conference championships if the winner of a "major" conference doesn't get to play for a "national" championship? I'd like to see conference champions duke it out even if the third place team from one conference might be a better team than another conference's champion.

Completely agree.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Agreed, and they shouldn’t be. But it is far from over. Just asks KC Chiefs fan how safe this lead is. I’ll be interested to see if Bama stays with Hurt or if they give the Freshman a chance to throw it around the field

Wow, Tagovailoa has completely re-energized the Alabama O. Pretty amazing stuff for his first TD drive.

Louis
01-08-2018, 09:42 PM
If UGA doesn't respond, 'Bama's going to win this going away.

Louis
01-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Well, that's one way to respond...

kppolich
01-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Tide rolls at the end of this one.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Even with that ALA INT, this game is UGA's to lose. ALA may even score here, but it feels that UGA is still in control.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Tide heads roll at the end of this one, for not starting Tagovailoa at qb.

Ftfy.

azrider
01-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Only thing worse than a Buckeyes fan is a Bama fan.

Go Dawgs!!

sales guy
01-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Only thing worse than a Buckeyes fan is a Bama fan.

Go Dawgs!!

LOL!!! I'm a Dawgs fan tonight cause my Buckeyes aren't playing.
But I am missing the last 2Q's cause the Dubs are on.

peanutgallery
01-08-2018, 10:23 PM
I've been to Alabama and they need to focus on public policy, literacy etc...not football

16th Only thing worse than a Buckeyes fan is a Bama fan.

Go Dawgs!!

msl819
01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
I've been to Alabama and they need to focus on public policy, literacy etc...not football

16th

Time for UGA and Fromm to show Some moxy and put one in the end zone and put it out of reach. 7 won’t be enough down the stretch

peanutgallery
01-08-2018, 10:39 PM
I don't think this guy learned how to read and now he's mad

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/alabama-lb-mekhi-brown-punches-georgia-player-goes-staff-member-sideline-041629713.html

Louis
01-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Big Bama comeback underway.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Big Bama comeback underway.

Yeah, but you know what they say...

...'Bama, never, never, never make your move too soon.... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvDocc-d1o)

:)

Louis
01-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Alabama now in FG range to win it.

msl819
01-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Alabama now in FG range to win it.

It’s bama’s To lose now

Louis
01-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Comes down to the kick...

36 yards

AND HE MISSED !!!!

cadence90
01-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Shocking....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It seemed to me that while Alabama was re-positioning the ball for Pappanastos, the very last thing he wanted was to have #34 chirping motivation into his ear while he was warming up...he just wanted to be left alone.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Shocking....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That guy may not get a ride home tonight

Louis
01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Radio sideline reporter said that UGA defense is completely exhausted.

We'll see how they do in OT.

MattTuck
01-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Radio sideline reporter said that UGA defense is completely exhausted.

We'll see how they do in OT.

It's like that other team from Georgia... :)

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.430771425.8074/flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg

cadence90
01-08-2018, 11:09 PM
That guy may not get a ride home tonight

Blankenship and his glasses certainly will. Clutch.

Louis
01-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Alabama TD !!! On 2nd down and 26 !!!

Game Over !!!!!

cadence90
01-08-2018, 11:12 PM
So, where is Jalen Hurts going to transfer tomorrow?

Tagovailoa won the game, and the team. Amazing for a true freshman to do that, all in one half and 2 OT plays.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:14 PM
2nd and 26 the last thing you can do is give up a 41 us TD.

fa63
01-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Is it too soon to say THWG?

My avatar should make it clear where my allegiance lies :D

sales guy
01-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Super bummed. Really didn't want Bama to have a 2nd title. It's like GA was given Hurts cooties or something.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:21 PM
So, where is Jalen Hurts going to transfer tomorrow?

Tagovailoa won the game, and the team. Amazing for a true freshman to do that, all in one half and 2 OT plays.

I asked myself that same question. Spring ball will be interesting.

That was an interesting post game interview with Hurts.

kppolich
01-08-2018, 11:23 PM
I asked myself that same question. Spring ball will be interesting.

That was an interesting post game interview with Hurts.

Very classy and positive post game with Hurts. Winners like to win, no matter how. 'RMFTODA

FlashUNC
01-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Super bummed. Really didn't want Bama to have a 2nd title. It's like GA was given Hurts cooties or something.

Second? This is the fifth since 2009.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Very classy and positive post game with Hurts. Winners like to win, no matter how. 'RMFTODA

Just masking the pain, imo. I think he's gone. It's Tagovailoa's team now. His arm is simply much, much better than Hurts', and with a lot less experience to date. By next fall he will have the entire playbook down cold, and with even better improvisational decision-making.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:31 PM

Very classy... and incredibly hard. Winners like to win but they much prefer to be the one who played and won and not stood and watched. No doubt a whole host of emotion in that young man. He was happy but also seemed to be fighting back tears. Unfortunately for him he will have 6 months of questions that he will not want to answer.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:34 PM
Just masking the pain, imo. I think he's gone. It's Tagovailoa's team now. His arm is simply much, much better than Hurts', and with a lot less experience to date. By next fall he will have the entire playbook down cold, and with even better improvisational decision-making.

Hate to say it but if he leaves, and he very well may, he will likely fade into an afterthought and have little success elsewhere. He is aided by the incredible cast around him. 13 looks to be as talented as everyone else at Bama which is scary moving forward. Hurts is talented but not a great QB.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:39 PM
But let’s not forget that UCF is the true National Champions:banana:

Louis
01-08-2018, 11:44 PM
But let’s not forget that UCF is the true National Champions:banana:

Ha! Good one. :)

sales guy
01-08-2018, 11:44 PM

2nd for the CFP title.

msl819
01-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Ha! Good one. :)

It’s on the internet so it must be true!

Louis
01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
One guy who's now very happy Alabama won in OT:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/02/08/sports/08champ_pappanastos2/merlin_132048524_b78aedb8-4bb7-4976-8486-e16be05333fa-master675.jpg

cadence90
01-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Hate to say it but if he leaves, and he very well may, he will likely fade into an afterthought and have little success elsewhere. He is aided by the incredible cast around him. 13 looks to be as talented as everyone else at Bama which is scary moving forward. Hurts is talented but not a great QB.

Totally agree.
Alabama was lucky to win that game, with the way Hurts played in the first half. I think Hurts hurt (Calvin) Ridley, an excellent receiver, all season long with his poor passing. Tagovailoa instead very quickly availed himself of Ridley's talent.

I think no matter where he goes, as you say he just isn't a very good QB. But, he may be a great athlete, and so stay (or transfer) and play WR or DB as some college and pro ex-QBs have done.

msl819
01-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Totally agree.
Alabama was lucky to win that game, with the way Hurts played in the first half. I think Hurts hurt (Calvin) Ridley, an excellent receiver, all season long with his poor passing. Tagovailoa instead very quickly availed himself of Ridley's talent.

I think no matter where he goes, as you say he just isn't a very good QB. But, he may be a great athlete, and so stay (or transfer) and play WR or DB as some college and pro ex-QBs have done.

Agreed... does he stay at Bama ala the Ohio State QB a few years back and transition to WR or RB in preparation of the NFL? If he wants to remain at QB, which is completely his right to do, we have likely seen his best play,at Bama or otherwise. If he wants to get paid to play on Sunday he needs to begin his transition now. Athletically, he is Tebow but not even as good a passer as Tebow.

joosttx
01-09-2018, 01:33 AM
Heart breaking loss. Bama was stronger.

Louis
01-09-2018, 01:45 AM
Bama was stronger.

Yup - and how many times did I hear "Alabama's true freshman ..."

Plus, with a legitimate passing game, they'll be even better next year.

holliscx
01-09-2018, 04:09 AM
I like my dad's review of the game:

Tua's from Hawaii, left-handed and throws the ball like a laser beam.

72gmc
01-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Well, it is the second time since 2009 that Bama won a championship game they shouldn't have been in.

It pays to be the darlings of ESPN.

wc1934
01-09-2018, 10:17 AM
The case of the "what ifs".

What if the ref didnt blow the blocked punt call - Georgia would have had the ball on the bama 30 (or so).

What if the ref made the facemask call - Georgia would have had a first down and retained the ball.

rwsaunders
01-09-2018, 10:28 AM
What if Fromm didn't throw a doink off of a Bama DL's helmet for a late game interception? We will never know. One thing that we do know, Bama's FG kicker went home with a ring.

72gmc
01-09-2018, 10:41 AM
One thing that we do know, Bama's FG kicker went home with a ring.

Proof that college football has a heart. Somewhere. Not between the uprights, that's for sure.

MattTuck
01-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Not a big college football watcher, but the number of sacks for a loss seemed to be quite high. Not sure if it is a function of lack of experience, defensive mismatches, etc. and not sure if it is this way during the rest of the season, but I bet there was 100+ yards lost on sacks last night that could have been prevented by throwing it away.

rwsaunders
01-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Proof that college football has a heart. Somewhere. Not between the uprights, that's for sure.

As I prepare to write a series of tuition checks for another four years, I often ask myself the same question.

simplemind
01-09-2018, 10:52 AM
The case of the "what ifs".

What if the ref didnt blow the blocked punt call - Georgia would have had the ball on the bama 30 (or so).

What if the ref made the facemask call - Georgia would have had a first down and retained the ball.

As a neutral party...I have to say the refs blew it on numerous occasions and mostly in favor of Al.

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Well, it is the second time since 2009 that Bama won a championship game they shouldn't have been in.

It pays to be the darlings of ESPN.

I was more inclined to that argument when there wasn't a precursor semi-final.

They beat Clemson and Georgia to get the title. Tough to argue they didn't belong after shellacking Clemson, then that come from behind last night.

If Wisconsin takes care of business in the Big Ten title game, they're in the playoff instead.

Old rules of college football still apply, better to lose early in the season than lose late.

LegendRider
01-09-2018, 11:03 AM
UGA fan meltdown:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BduAUhqjcTI/

rwsaunders
01-09-2018, 11:27 AM
UGA fan meltdown:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BduAUhqjcTI/

Was he pissed at the outcome of the game or based on the decorations on his wall, the crappy beer that he was drinking?

72gmc
01-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Old rules of college football still apply, better to lose early in the season than lose late.

Unless you're Alabama this year.

Lose late (in the one game you should have to win), get what amounts to a bye week while UGA/Auburn play the title game, get into the playoff anyway.

The semifinal doesn't change the fact that they lost the division play-in game to the conference play-in game.

They were clearly good enough to be there. But it's a system in which three competitors have to win their way in, and one gets to play with house money (Bama this year, Ohio State last year). That's not a playoff.

Anyway, it's all academic now. Saban could have made this a lot easier by putting the Hawaiian kid in vs. Auburn, winning that game, and creating an opportunity to gripe about Ohio State or USC.

Red Tornado
01-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Bama are the Patriots of the NCAA.
Not complaining, I like Saban & Co., but would be nice to see someone else at the top.

wc1934
01-09-2018, 11:50 AM
As a neutral party...I have to say the refs blew it on numerous occasions and mostly in favor of Al.
I agree - I had no skin in the game either (I am a Nittany Lions fan).

wc1934
01-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Not complaining, I like Saban & Co., but would be nice to see someone else at the top.

OUCH!!! Seems like a left handed compliment to us Pats fans. Haha

holliscx
01-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Tagovailoa stole the Georgia safety's lunch money on the last play

Bet y'all a Coca-Cola Baker Mayfield said "humble yourself" afterwards

MattTuck
01-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Tagovailoa stole the Georgia safety's lunch money on the last play

His post-game interview certainly presented him with a lot of poise, maturity and football IQ. Pretty good for a kid that was in high school last year.

azrider
01-09-2018, 12:37 PM

I can see this.........however,I would compare them more to the Dallas Cowboys.

Just a crapton of 'bandwagon' fans who have absolutely no affiliation with the shool or the state for that matter and the majority are obnoxious as h*ll

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 12:44 PM
I can see this.........however,I would compare them more to the Dallas Cowboys.

Just a crapton of 'bandwagon' fans who have absolutely no affiliation with the shool or the state for that matter and the majority are obnoxious as h*ll

That also describes the Patriots.

azrider
01-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Not disagreeing whatsoever, but I also think geography comes into play. I've heard all about bandwagon Pat's fans but out here it's Dallas fans everywhere.....and those God-awful star decals.

I mean, you'd think this guy plays for Cowboys or works for them in some capacity..............nope, just wanted to make sure it's super F'n obvious that he's a Cowboys fan. Ugh.

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/7/9/6/5/webimg/3951893.jpg

msl819
01-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Unless you're Alabama this year.

Lose late (in the one game you should have to win), get what amounts to a bye week while UGA/Auburn play the title game, get into the playoff anyway.

The semifinal doesn't change the fact that they lost the division play-in game to the conference play-in game.

They were clearly good enough to be there. But it's a system in which three competitors have to win their way in, and one gets to play with house money (Bama this year, Ohio State last year). That's not a playoff.

Anyway, it's all academic now. Saban could have made this a lot easier by putting the Hawaiian kid in vs. Auburn, winning that game, and creating an opportunity to gripe about Ohio State or USC.

I completely agree... Bama fans would have lost their mind but at the end of it all they still would have had a chance to have proven it on the field. If you lose week 12 and miss your conference championship game, I don't think you should be in. Bama was not division champs or conference champs but still got to play for the National Championship.

Also... Saban seemed unusually at peace and happy in the post game interview. It makes me wonder what is on the horizon for him. I wonder if he is actually pondering retirement? It was actually the most likeable I have seen him in a post game interview, maybe ever.

72gmc
01-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Also... Saban seemed unusually at peace and happy in the post game interview. It makes me wonder what is on the horizon for him. I wonder if he is actually pondering retirement? It was actually the most likeable I have seen him in a post game interview, maybe ever.

I would not trade my life for that of a successful college football coach. Good for him if he has a different life in mind. Trade unreasonable boosters for casual bass fishing, or bogeys, or bikes ...

msl819
01-09-2018, 01:12 PM
I would not trade my life for that of a successful college football coach. Good for him if he has a different life in mind. Trade unreasonable boosters for casual bass fishing, or bogeys, or bikes ...

The problem is most of them don't know what to do if they are not working 100 hours a week and existing inside a highly structured environment. They live off caffeine and adrenaline, which unfortunately is also why so many of them don't live a year past their retirement party. It is almost as if their bodies are cranked to 11 all the time and when you finally say you're done and try to bass fish or collect shells at the beach, when their bodies try to reacclimate they just give out. College coaching is a grueling 12 month job that never lets up. Sure, Saban makes 11 million dollars a year but I doubt he ever really enjoys it.

jlwdm
01-09-2018, 01:12 PM
I was surprised Alabama #48 was back in the game after his sideline meltdown. On the field he showed he did not learn anything from his first mistake.

Jeff

wc1934
01-09-2018, 01:32 PM

sounds like sour grapes to me!!

72gmc
01-09-2018, 02:20 PM
The problem is most of them don't know what to do if they are not working 100 hours a week

Seems to be the stereotype. Meanwhile, the two major coaches in my state (Petersen, Leach) seem like guys who will clock out when it's time and not look back.

msl819
01-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Seems to be the stereotype. Meanwhile, the two major coaches in my state (Petersen, Leach) seem like guys who will clock out when it's time and not look back.

Both of whom I really like, especially Petersen. I like Leach too for all kinds of other reasons. I like that they both seems to be multi-dimensional like the “great” ones who have made football their whole life. Leach and Petersen May never win a National championship let alone 6 but let’s be real, Leach would be awesome to hang out with. There was a time when a football coaches main job was developing young men through sport. Clearly that isn’t the case anymore.

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 03:07 PM
sounds like sour grapes to me!!

Nah, you just see enough pink Patriots hats and (still) Aaron Hernandez jerseys on the West Coast and know they couldn't identify Steve Grogan or Tony Eason if they dropped outta the sky in front of them.

You win consistently for awhile, you pick up a lot of obnoxious bandwagon fans. See also: Anyone outside the 510 and 415 area codes who are suddenly Warriors fans because the team figured out that doing Run TMC in a league with rule changes suited to that style of play suddenly would become On Fire mode in NBA Jam.

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 03:08 PM
There was a time when a football coaches main job was developing young men through sport.

That time existed only in Fantasyland. It has always been, and always will be, about wins and losses.

msl819
01-09-2018, 05:22 PM
That time existed only in Fantasyland. It has always been, and always will be, about wins and losses.

Not true... go back a few decades and before when coaches salaries weren’t outrageous, when the universities actually saw them as student athletes and not cash cows, and many - not all saw their jobs very differently. Men like John Wooden , I know he is basketball, took a very different approach. Some still won many championship. They lived mostly humble lives, still taught classes at the university and saw themselves as educator and developers of people. Sadly, today winning 10 or 11 games a year and 85-90% of your athletes does little for job security.

cadence90
01-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Not true... go back a few decades and before when coaches salaries weren’t outrageous, when the universities actually saw them as student athletes and not cash cows, and many - not all saw their jobs very differently. Men like John Wooden , I know he is basketball, took a very different approach. Some still won many championship. They lived mostly humble lives, still taught classes at the university and saw themselves as educator and developers of people. Sadly, today winning 10 or 11 games a year and 85-90% of your athletes does little for job security.

In before FlashUNC retorts with: Sam Gilbert (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609).

Lifelong UCLA (and Wooden) fan here, no matter what FlashUNC says....

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 05:37 PM

Uh, UCLA had boosters paying players during the Wooden era. And there's some -- unconfirmed, but still out there -- tales that Wooden was more involved than that. Never mind that he wouldn't have been there as long as he had if not for all the, yanno, winning. Being a stand up guy and teaching athletes morals is great and all, but boosters ain't paying to do that. They want wins. He was an incredible basketball mind, the best of his generation, but let's not act like these guys are monks imparting wisdom from on high.

Winning 10-11 games a year and graduating 90% of your players has always been a recipe for getting fired. This rose-tinted view of the past paints a veneer that never actually existed. Think Ara Parsegian left Notre Dame because of the demands of too many talks with the team about ethics and morals?

Ye Gods, Vic Bubas and Frank McGuire -- at Dook and North Carolina respectively -- fought like cats and dogs over players like Art Heyman during the 1950s. And it wasn't so they could teach them to say their prayers, eat their vitamins and wish their mothers a good night.

FlashUNC
01-09-2018, 05:40 PM
In before FlashUNC retorts with: Sam Gilbert (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609).

Hah! Beat me to some of the details. I won't argue Wooden wasn't the best ever -- he was. But he functions in a system that is a sport above all else. And if you're going to follow college basketball, there's worse programs to root for.

cadence90
01-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Uh, UCLA had boosters paying players during the Wooden era. And there's some -- unconfirmed, but still out there -- tales that Wooden was more involved than that....
Told you, msl819!

:D

Greenpea
01-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Go look who is the highest paid government employee in your state. I betcha the vast majority of those employees it lands on the Football Coach/Basketball Coach. There are going to be some states that buck that trend but it holds true for most.

Here's a link that backs that up -> http://www.businessinsider.com/us-states-highest-paid-public-employee-college-coach-2016-9/#10-pennsylvania--james-franklin-44-million-1

This isn't the good ol' times where life lessons are learned from the coach. This is a business first and an education second for the big programs, hell, I'd say most if not all Power 5 programs. Stanford, Northwestern, and a few others buck that trend but those young men are there to play football and make money for the college.

msl819
01-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Uh, UCLA had boosters paying players during the Wooden era. And there's some -- unconfirmed, but still out there -- tales that Wooden was more involved than that. Never mind that he wouldn't have been there as long as he had if not for all the, yanno, winning. Being a stand up guy and teaching athletes morals is great and all, but boosters ain't paying to do that. They want wins. He was an incredible basketball mind, the best of his generation, but let's not act like these guys are monks imparting wisdom from on high.

Winning 10-11 games a year and graduating 90% of your players has always been a recipe for getting fired. This rose-tinted view of the past paints a veneer that never actually existed. Think Ara Parsegian left Notre Dame because of the demands of too many talks with the team about ethics and morals?

Ye Gods, Vic Bubas and Frank McGuire -- at Dook and North Carolina respectively -- fought like cats and dogs over players like Art Heyman during the 1950s. And it wasn't so they could teach them to say their prayers, eat their vitamins and wish their mothers a good night.

I hear ya... I am not saying it wasn’t competitive and at times against the rules. I am saying guys like Wooden saw his job as more than winning deep into March. You can line up HOF players around the block who will speak of Wooden with the highest of reverence and they all start with the impact he made in them as men and what he showed them about becoming a man. That is more than basketball. Take a guy like Frye at Iowa, just a first one to come to mind. Spent 20 up and down years at Iowa. He would have been run out of town in no time today. There was a day when you primarily recruited your area/State. Your State had 2-4 years of good talent and the State school would be tough and vice versa. People understood that and lived through the lean years.

Trust me... Miles, Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, etc didn’t forget how to coach football at their respective schools. UT didn’t care that Strong cleaned house and had the program pointed in the right direction and sent guys packing who were cancers to the team but 5 star recruits. He lost to Kansas, KANSAS! 50-60 years ago I hold it would have been different but if we are paying you 5 mil a year that only works if you win and make money for the school. College football coaches are the highest paid state employees in their states. That is a mostly recent arrangement and ridiculous

Boosters are a category all to themselves. Not saying they don’t factor and they aren’t a real issue. But they are or should be outside the program. And they are the ones who make salaries possible. Have they always been there, yes. Have they gotten out of control in the last 20-30 years, in the worst way.

I am not saying coaches 50 years ago recruited guys so they could teach them to say their prayers, eat their vitamins, and call their moms... but some, maybe many did. Today it’s just football. I lived it for 5 years.

josephr
01-09-2018, 07:14 PM

you could say the same about 2004 Sooners, 2006 Buckeyes, and 2012 Notre Dame teams...I'm sure there's many other examples and more than a few have said Bear Bryant 'picked' his opponents. In the end....

Roll Tide.

holliscx
01-10-2018, 03:27 AM
I hope you take something from this game and the resiliency that you showed and it helps you be more successful in life. —Coach Saban speaking to his Alabama players following Monday's national championship