PDA

View Full Version : O.T. laptops vs. tablet.

bobswire
01-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I lost my internet connection that lasted for a whole week (thanks ATT) :mad: and just got it back yesterday, anyway because of that I realized I need another form of device for travel and need when and if that happens again. At present I have an iMac desktop and iPhone SE) which is a really neat phone that does a lot of things well but lacks the screen size to do any real internet interplay plus my finger play on phones suck and takes me forever to write a message.
At first I was thinking getting a laptop then wondered if I really need a laptop when a tablet may do for basic internet things like reading this forum, checking my services, paying and or ordering goods, watching You Tube videos etc.
I'm kinda leaning towards a Samsung tablet since I like using googles photo apps and Google Docs since they are "free" as opposed to my Mac/iphone cloud service which now charge a monthly fee to store info/photos,etc.
which's why I'm not including an iPad in my search for a good tablet. Any suggestions for a good low cost tablet preferably under $300 but willing to go up to $400?

Clydesdale
01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
I recently picked up an Asus chromebook flip tablet in that budget that I have been really happy with. It's only about a 12" screen so if you plan to use it as a primary computer a lot it may be on the small side but as a mostly tablet with keyboard and mouse when needed it seems to do a really good job. I think for $400ish you could probably move up to a bigger screen.

Nice thing about going that way is you can fold the keyboard all the way over and just have a touchscreen tablet, or use it as a laptop with they keyboard also.

Gsinill
01-05-2018, 10:54 AM
I might be part of the minority that doesn't think a tablet is a replacement for a laptop.
I have both and each has it's place...

Not what you are asking, but couldn't you just use your iPhone SE as a mobile hotspot to get internet on your computers.
That way you can buy whatever device you want (tablet, laptop etc.) AND have internet access at home in case there is another outage.

Just my 0.02...

bobswire
01-05-2018, 11:11 AM
I might be part of the minority that doesn't think a tablet is a replacement for a laptop.
I have both and each has it's place...

Not what you are asking, but couldn't you just use your iPhone SE as a mobile hotspot to get internet on your computers.
That way you can buy whatever device you want (tablet, laptop etc.) AND have internet access at home in case there is another outage.

Just my 0.02...

I didn't even think of that, I went over to my girlfriends house to use her computer while my connection was out, I'm with Virgin Mobile so I'll have to check what my options are. Though I still want a portable device. BTW I jsut need something basic no need for files or business related duty.

Mark McM
01-05-2018, 11:19 AM
As implied above, the questions of laptop vs. tablet and of alternate network connectivity are mostly unrelated. Even with a tablet, you still have the issue of connection alternatives.

For connection alternatives, probably the best bet is the hotspot on a mobile phone. This can be used for internet connection on a tablet, a laptop, and even a desktop.

echappist
01-05-2018, 11:44 AM
anyone here runs zwift/trainer road solely on a tablet?

i like the game-like feel to zwift for many things, but i still find that i prefer watching cycling videos when i really need to throw down or put in the hours. leaving it on erg mode while i watch soccer/cycling on another screen would be nice.

staggerwing
01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
I recently picked up an Asus chromebook flip tablet in that budget that I have been really happy with. It's only about a 12" screen so if you plan to use it as a primary computer a lot it may be on the small side but as a mostly tablet with keyboard and mouse when needed it seems to do a really good job. I think for $400ish you could probably move up to a bigger screen.

Nice thing about going that way is you can fold the keyboard all the way over and just have a touchscreen tablet, or use it as a laptop with they keyboard also.

I have an older Asus Chromebook Flip (C100), and other than missing a backlit keyboard, find it perfect for casual use, where I spend 80% of my time in the browser and maybe 20% in google docs. Can also run the same android apps that you have on your phone. Only paid $150 for it off of evilbay about a year back. No longer current.

Current versions are the ruggedized C213, at around $300, and the fancy pants C302 at $450. The latter is quite nice, but just a bit more that I want to pay for for this type of net appliance. Still might look for one used.

If you can find one, a clean 2013-15 13" macbook, upgraded with a SSD and a fresh battery, might also be a great option too.

loxx0050
01-05-2018, 01:29 PM

i like the game-like feel to zwift for many things, but i still find that i prefer watching cycling videos when i really need to throw down or put in the hours. leaving it on erg mode while i watch soccer/cycling on another screen would be nice.

FYI Zwift currently only supports iOS for mobile platforms....so the only tablet that works is an iPad. But older ones or lower model ones don't work though.

I use Trainerroad currently with my phone and have used an android tablet (don't need anything special, just the app and a dongle to handle the Ant+ stick for me....if you have bluetooth stuff for the bike then you don't need the dongle). I use the phone for TR and a tablet with bluetooth headphones to watch something (usually a series or something I don't have to pay complete attention to). Admittedly I end up not reading a lot of the in session instructions.

You can get plenty of nice android tablets for around $300 though. Lenovo makes good bang for the buck with barebones interfaces (I was eyeballing a 8" screen Tab 4 Plus to replace my aging Nexus 7 tablet....but the hardware specs changed from announcement to actual released product...not happy it has 1GB less of ram they initially promised). Samsung or the other big name brands for the firepower hardware wise. The Huawei tablet offerings are intriguing too because they are hardware rich specs but not too expensive (like Samsung Galaxy tablets are). Did a bunch of research to replace my tablet but ended up buying nothing. Mainly because my thought to be dead Nexus 7 I somehow revived (critically dead battery that I got to jump start and works normally again...minus the fact that the latest andoid OS bogs down the outdated hardware it has).

echappist
01-05-2018, 04:50 PM
ah, very good to know. thanks.

CMiller
01-05-2018, 05:18 PM
I always always always miss the keyboard when I do anything on a tablet. That being said, $400 gets a very very nice tablet and a not-as-nice portable laptop. When I travel I use my phone as a mobile hotspot and hook it up to my Kindle Fire, which is the coolest thing ever for under $100.

oldguy00
01-05-2018, 05:47 PM
I absolutely hate typing on a tablet.
I agree with others that each device has its place. Tablet def more portable, laptop more powerful (depending...) and easier to type on, bigger screen for watching stuff.
I have a 13" Macbook Pro that I love and use most of the time. I have a Samsung galaxy tab that I load race/youtube videos onto and watch while running on the treadmill.

I've used my blackberry cell as a mobile hotspot for both devices when needed, works well.

ceolwulf
01-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Tablet or phone. I have a tablet attachment for my handlebar and my phone can sit on a horizontal part of it. So either I watch movies on the tablet and Zwift on phone or just Zwift on tablet. Works well, fuss-free setup. iPad Mini is a little small for the job though, if I were getting a tablet specifically for Zwift I'd get a 10". However at this point I'd be more likely to get an Apple TV 4K plus a cheap 42" TV off Kijiji or someplace. Costs same. I'll probably end up doing that at some point.

pbarry
01-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Yes to the comments about both tablets and laptops having unique functions. I have an Asus Zenpad that I like, except the form factor is a little long for much typing. Also, just did a mobile phone plan switch and iirc, Virgin has a 10gb cap on mobile hotspot usage, then severe throttling. About the same as the other major carriers.

rnhood
01-05-2018, 07:03 PM
It's really hard to do better than a Chromebook, cost wise and functionality. The interface is simple, well supported, and they work. Lose or break it, and you're only out of a hundred dollars or so. No big deal.

JDino
01-06-2018, 05:27 AM
probably with chromebooks is that you are tied to Google's OS, which functionally isn't bad but lacks ability to get third party apps

I really like the Microsoft Surface computers...they run Windows 10, come with a keyboard that detaches, and work as a computer and legit tablet. They are a bit more money but I bet you could find a refurb one on the internet for about $500.

smontanaro
01-06-2018, 06:48 AM
I have both and each has it's place... [QUOTE]

As a software engineer, I agree. I think it boils down to what applications you need. Also, the OP said he's all thumbs, so if he buys a tablet, he might want to spring for a keyboard too.

[QUOTE]Not what you are asking, but couldn't you just use your iPhone SE as a mobile hotspot to get internet on your computers.

That is probably the "premium" feature I use most on my Pixel (I'm a Project Fi subscriber - WiFi hotspot is part of the package). Very handy to use my laptop on the train going to/from work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

schwa86
01-06-2018, 07:59 AM
I hardly ever use my laptop anymore when I travel. You can do most things on a tablet.

FWIW: 1) all the google docs stuff works on iPads; 2) if you do need to get a bit more serious re work (eg on an extended trip) buy a Bluetooth keyboard for the typing -- they are super light weight and work well; 3) I think the iOS vs Android stuff is mostly personal preference -- have had phones and tablets running on each -- IMO iOS more idiot proof / reliable, and at my employer, better supported in the workplace, android has larger App Store.

I don't disagree with all the chrome book comments though.

bobswire
01-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks to all that responded. I found the device that will satisfy my requirements,budget,and travel needs. I narrowed it down to a Samsung Chromebook 3 with 4 gb ram. Since my favorite browser is Chrome and the vast majority of what I use my computer for is able to be accomplished using Chrome, google docs and google photos. Had I known this 2 weeks ago I could have gotten a great deal on dreaded Black Friday. Thanks again for suggestions and ideas since I never really gave any thought to laptops or pads.

Spdntrxi
01-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Much rather have a lightweight laptop with a touch screen optional. We are a 2 tablet .. 4 laptop .2 chrome book family