PDA

View Full Version : OT: Muscle cars

Dave B
01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Need some info from the gallery here.

I am in the process of starting to prepare to buy a muscle car. I am finally debt free minus mortgage and school loans, which will in time get me a great credit score and should help with the finance percentage. Just an FYI.

So here is my query. If you were in the market for a V8 muscle car, what would you think was a smart buy. Now i know so many of you love Porsche, the miata, and other euro cars. I do as well, but prefer V8 American muscle as I am just "that guy."

I have had 3 charger SRT's and only one of them wasn't a piece of crap. All used, soI get two of them were driven really hard and I know i am more than likely going to buy a car that has been driven the way it was intended. I am not looking to track day this car, simply go for fun and fast cruises as well as piss off my stupid neighbors.

I figure Camaro, Mustang, Challenger SRT, and maybe if I could find a numbered Charger SRT I would think of that again. I suppose I could throw corvette in the mix, but that may not be considered a muscle car by some.

So what would you get, what should I look for, what should I avoid, and other things that would help me make a better decision?

Thanks

bikinchris
01-05-2018, 10:13 AM
So are you looking for a 60's or 70's vintage muscle car? Or something modern?

Jeff N.
01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
This is an easy one...a 1967 Chevelle SS 427. A buddy of mine once owned one and they just absolutely SCREAM! Scarry fast/powerful. Or....a Nova SS in the same year/configuration. Then slip a Doors 8-track into the factory deck, turn up the volume and step on the gas! A '62 4-speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409 Impala would be one more.

verticaldoug
01-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Since you look to be buying modern, just take everything for a test drive and buy what you like.

Although not a muscle car, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk is pretty sick with 707 HP

If you are looking to p*** off neighbors. This is the stealth way to do it.

AngryScientist
01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
I am just "that guy."

... as well as piss off my stupid neighbors.

http://www.gauraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Be-The-Change-You-Want-To-See-In-The-World.png

mktng
01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Why not 2000's Mercedes V8's ?

CL500
SL500
AMG E55

All the power, all the sound. Plus the luxury :)

sales guy
01-05-2018, 10:30 AM
My family(father) used to have a bunch of classic muscle cars that went to shows.

71 Plymouth GTX
70 Plymouth Superbird. big wing and all
69 Dodge Charger RT
70 Dodge Charger RT
69 Dodge Charger SE
71 Hemi Cuda
68 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
66 Ford Mustang convertible

That's just a small list of what we've had or have. If you are looking for a muscle car, yeah, there is some great and cool things out now. But come on. Muscle car is classic. Go that direction. They might be old, but man they're fun and they will draw a ton of attention.

bikinchris
01-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Personally, if I win the lottery, the American muscle car I would buy would be the Shelby GT350R. With a switch, you can open the exhaust. The engine is awesome sounding.

tuscanyswe
01-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Why not 2000's Mercedes V8's ?

CL500
SL500
AMG E55

All the power, all the sound. Plus the luxury :)

Cause the sex appeal is below zero .)

TBLS
01-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Buy what makes you smile the most...1968 Camaro SS convertible for me

If you are not 100% trusting in your car knowledge, engage an expert to confirm what you are buying. Plenty of frauds out there ....badging base models with SS, Z, etc.

jghall
01-05-2018, 11:02 AM
While maybe due to my age, I have a warm spot for the late 60's/early 70's muscle cars. That being said, of two I'd probably buy a modern version of. Especially since it sounds like this may be a daily driver.

I'd also agree with the sentiment of a few others. I'd go luxury power.

While my Lexus GS430 will not blow the doors off a new Mustang, it's more than fast enough. Gets decent gas mileage. It's comfortable. And pretty much bullet proof in the reliability department.

Ralph
01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Kinda reminds me of a story my brother told me one time about a 70's Corvette he owned......He said it's a rare car....they only made about 2000 of them....and only 5000 have managed to survive.

After I retired.....I spent some time doing part time grunt work in a hi end Shelby Mustang restoration shop. Usually the cars were bought as a bucket of rust and bolts for about $100,000 or so....and owner spent another $100,000 or more with us to restore the car. When done.....and better than when it was new.....was worth usually around $300,000. But original Shelby Mustang is a desirable and rare car. Especially a BOSS 429. Same with 70's BOSS 302's.....they are worth restoring. (or Z28's of that era...although we didn't do them)

Most old classic muscle cars.....do not bring in the market place the full cost of restoration. So the lesion I learned....is let someone else do the restoring.....and when that person either gives up on his money pit, or runs out of money, and gets tired of the constant upkeep......then you buy from him at a bargain (relatively speaking). But I would not restore an old car...would let someone else do it. Engine and drivetrain work is relatively cheap.....it's the body work that costs so much. So even if you are looking for a more modern muscle car, make sure the body is in good shape....you can fix everything else fairly (relatively) cheap.

colbyh
01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Modern? The recent Mustangs have all been great. Quality on the inside is better than any of the other muscle cars, unless you count the fast Cadillacs. Ford actually built a pony car that handles well for the first time so it'll go like hell in a straight line *and* stay in sight of those pesky BMWs when the road gets twisty.

Either that or the Challenger SRT Demon, which is a pure drag race machine somehow spec'd to be street legal. It looks truly bananas.

William
01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Current American Muscle car?

William

Bostic
01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Most old classic muscle cars.....do not bring in the market place the full cost of restoration. So the lesion I learned....is let someone else do the restoring.....and when that person either gives up on his money pit, or runs out of money, and gets tired of the constant upkeep......then you buy from him at a bargain (relatively speaking). But I would not restore an old car...would let someone else do it. Engine and drivetrain work is relatively cheap.....it's the body work that costs so much. So even if you are looking for a more modern muscle car, make sure the body is in good shape....you can fix everything else fairly (relatively) cheap.

Every person I have met who has spent good money on restorations has said the same thing. Let someone else do all that work for you beforehand unless you truly have the passion and money to get it done right.

There is a yearly car show here in Saratoga, CA where a lot of gems are showcased. The 1973 455 Super Duty Trans Am.. when that engine is revving away what a perfect sound!

eddief
01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
I worked full time bagging groceries to buy and make payments on one of these. What the hell was I doing?

My car, my color. 440 ci, 375 hp, Torqueflite

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0913-165393/1967-dodge-coronet-rt/

I also lived in El Segundo, CA at the time and home was about a mile from LAX where Shelby built Mustangs and Cobras. Weekends were fun near there as there were always slaloms and other showings of fine cars.

FlashUNC
01-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Mustang. New Shelby GT350.

Flat plane crank yo.

ripvanrando
01-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Z28 or ZL1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBLrqktPJVs

Mercedes would be my pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pkCISvhI1Y

Ken Robb
01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
The OP here probably has more personal experience with modern muscle cars than almost all of the rest of us. As for old muscle cars (I had a 1965 GTO) a new Accord will outrun almost any of them so buying one now must be for subjective reasons.

ripvanrando
01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Old cars?

I had a 70 1/2 Z28. It was nice.

I would love to own a 1969 Grand Prix with the 428. Grandfather had one. I drove it. Those poor tires.

christian
01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
I'd recommend the Payoff the School Loans GT.

Dave B
01-05-2018, 12:32 PM
I would love to go older models if I could afford it. With a teacher's salary as well as a smoking hot wife and two kids, I think something from 2010 and up seems (whether or not it actually is good thinking) like the way to go as I cannot dump money into a project or pay to have a project done for me.

I cannot get the 2013/2014 Mustang GT500 out of my head. 662bhp just sounds delightful. I was able to drive a 2011 GT500 and had it sideways coming out of a round about with the biggest smile on my face and the CarMAx lady screaming...the was kind of fun. I have driven plenty of regular GT mustangs before and well, you know they were ok.
For a time I was considering myself a MOPAR guy as I had a string of them as did my wife. I don't find myself having specific loyalty to the big 3 brands as I currently drive a 2005 Infinity SUV I was given and I am good with 4wd, so I want something that is fast straight line hence the muscle car versus something that can turn.

My 12 year old daughter loved blasting around with me on our SRT's and the last one I had was a perfect B5 Blue Super Bee SRT. She and I talk about those times more often than I realized and I am missing those spring summer drives with a loud exhaust and windows down.

I would love a late 60' SS camaro or any of the truly great older muscle cars. I just don't want to buy a project car and dump tens of thousands of $$$ into it. Newer stuff, SRT's, GT mustangs, SS camaros all live in the 400bhp (@ crank) land and I love that.

If I could re-ask my original question, what modern muscle cars seem to have their stuff together with regards to surviving daily driving. I know the LS engines can have loads done to make them faster and tend to be super reliable. Who doesn't get a bit nostalgic to have a HEMI, and with the Mustang I only hear good things about the newest body style. I know the old style with the covered wagon axle in the rear sucks, but those cars still haul a$$.

I guess I am just stuck with having too much tech data and not enough real life experiences in these cars. Since it is -21 degrees out as well as snow on the ground I cannot go test drive them, hence me asking what you guys/gals have had that you just loved. Looking for inspiration or things to think about I haven't thought of yet. I have loads of time to think on this, but something in the back of my head just keeps poling me to keep thinking about it.

Dave B
01-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Already on a particular payment plan for school loans, so that is sorted. Long stupid story behind all of that, but it is what it is.

msl819
01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Kinda reminds me of a story my brother told me one time about a 70's Corvette he owned......He said it's a rare car....they only made about 2000 of them....and only 5000 have managed to survive.

After I retired.....I spent some time doing part time grunt work in a hi end Shelby Mustang restoration shop. Usually the cars were bought as a bucket of rust and bolts for about $100,000 or so....and owner spent another $100,000 or more with us to restore the car. When done.....and better than when it was new.....was worth usually around $300,000. But original Shelby Mustang is a desirable and rare car. Especially a BOSS 429. Same with 70's BOSS 302's.....they are worth restoring. (or Z28's of that era...although we didn't do them)

But to add to this, even a restored classic car that is worth the cost of restoration will quickly depreciate if driven often. It is still a car. If the OP wants a muscle car to drive as a DD or anything other than a garage queen I suggest he start by looking for something on the lower end that is depreciated, something he can fix easily, and drive with a smile. A $300,000 Shebl would be awesome to own and I can only imagine fun to drive. But a car like that gets much more time being looked at than driven.

I have an old (1987) Landcruiser. It is nice, rust free, and reliable. I still prefer it as a third car to my DD.

Nooch
01-05-2018, 12:45 PM
What's the really awesome camaro? the zl1 1le or something? that one.

ptourkin
01-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Every person I have met who has spent good money on restorations has said the same thing. Let someone else do all that work for you beforehand unless you truly have the passion and money to get it done right.

There is a yearly car show here in Saratoga, CA where a lot of gems are showcased. The 1973 455 Super Duty Trans Am.. when that engine is revving away what a perfect sound!

Agree. I spent time with three classic Mopars that were not the super rare desirable survivors. I enjoyed working on them and driving them but I did not make back even close to what I put into them. Have fun but don't look at it as an investment.

ptourkin
01-05-2018, 12:49 PM
What's the really awesome camaro? the zl1 1le or something? that one.

First

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

GregL
01-05-2018, 01:16 PM
A few thoughts from a "car guy" who is planning to get back into muscle cars in a few short years (when my daughter finishes college and goes "off the payroll..."):

- Do you want show or go? Restored old muscle cars are getting very pricy. They typically only get used for car shows and summer cruise nights. Personally, I want a car that I can drive on the street and use for the occasional track day at Watkins Glen or LRP.

- Are you looking for modern power (e.g., current model Mustang GT or Camaro Z28) or something that also offers more "toss-ability?" My tastes run to lighter weight cars. A well-optioned late model Mustang or Camaro weighs 3700-3800 pounds! Way too heavy for my tastes.

I'm starting to plan a build for a second generation Mercury Capri ('79-'86). I had one when I was younger and had a ball building it up into a fun street/autocross/track car. Built right, it can weigh just under 3000 lbs, handle as well as a solid rear axle car can, AND have 350-400 horsepower. Thinking Boss 302 crate engine, six-speed T56 tranny, 3.73 rear gears, fully-reinforced unit body, suspension tuned for handling, and four-wheel disc brakes. This is going to be a fun project!

Greg

cmg
01-05-2018, 01:17 PM
take the charger SRT that isn't a piece of crap and make it better. make it your project car. do it on the cheap, you already own the car, why buy another one? There's plenty of youtube videos for inspiration. More fun to build it yourself. Never buy a car new. who cares what the neighbors think? Why bother?

tv_vt
01-05-2018, 01:36 PM
I had an SS396, '69 Chevelle. Beautiful car, but not really road worthy in comparison to almost everything on the road today. Had that car up to 90-95mph and it was just plain scary. In comparison, my 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen is happy cruising along in mid-80s. Solid.

Don't have much more to add, except that the Shelby Fords are way cool, and were real 'road' cars back in the day. And I hear a lot of good things about the new Corvette, and it looks seriously hot.

My choice of muscle car would be German, I'm afraid - Golf R or a GTI, manual. Or maybe an Audi TT, but you'd be stuck with some sort of automatic.

shovelhd
01-05-2018, 02:25 PM
I would love to go older models if I could afford it. With a teacher's salary as well as a smoking hot wife and two kids

Well, trade them in along with the minivan and you'll be able to afford a Cobra. :)

If you're on a budget, I'd go Mustang or Challenger and do a Stage 2 mod.

joosttx
01-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Plus one... but I throw out the 1965-1967 Sunbeam Tiger.... Carrol Shelby designed evil. BTW I went to middle school with Carrol's granddaughter. Her mother would pick her up in a Cobra with a corvette automatic in it.

jamesdak
01-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Can't help I'm afraid. Sold my NC Miata

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/157381017.jpg

when I found a really nice C5 Corvette ZO6.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165554853.jpg

I honestly found the Z06 big, numb, and boring after the Miata. Traded the Z06 in on a 2017 VW GTI with the performance package and am much happier.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166736861.jpg

Yet, I still want another Miata. You don't drive those, you wear them like a fine suit. I know, I know.... not V8.... :p

OtayBW
01-05-2018, 03:19 PM

I am in the process of starting to prepare to buy a muscle car. I am finally debt free minus mortgage and school loans, which will in time get me a great credit score and should help with the finance percentage. Just an FYI.

So here is my query. If you were in the market for a V8 muscle car, what would you think was a smart buy.
I will take a different tack: If you are just now debt free, I would do what it takes to stay debt-free first and only consider a muscle car if you are truly in a good financial position to spend that kind of discretionary dough....That is, unless your going after a chick magnet, in which case, I like the Shelby!! :cool:

bicycletricycle
01-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Sounds like you are looking for Modern-ish muscle? my top choices would be-

1. C6 corvette because it actually drives well and could enjoy some track days
2. Camaro Z28, sort of a worse corvette, don't get yellow
3. Rumble bee truck because it is ridiculous
4. SRT challenger because it is the best looking modern muscle car

No mustangs unless your into crashing into pedestrians.

Ralph
01-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Recent era V8 solid axle manual trans Mustangs are relatively cheap in the market. They go like hell in a straight line, simple to fix, plenty of parts are available, etc. I like the IRS models even better, and ride and handle a little better, but a solid axle Mustang handles better than you might suspect. With no negative camber on IRS rear wheels.....forward traction with solid axle better than IRS model. (you don't have to spend bucks on alignment either)

Tickdoc
01-05-2018, 03:35 PM
I’m with you. I don’t need a “family” car as much as I used to so I’m thinking something more fun next.

I want a 911 but I won’t pay for one.

I want a GT car I think....two doors with a back seat.

I don’t think I can do vintage for daily driver.

I’ve never owned an American car:eek:, but the mustang gt is high on the list. It seems to represent the best value right now in the segment I want for the price I’m willing to pay.

Have you driven anything yet?

Can’t wait to see what you get.

Ford Mustang wins muscle car sales race - Fox News

Dave B
01-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Ok, since I don’t know how to quote multiple people this will just be random responses.

Student loans. W/O getting into too much personal stuff, I am on a program for loan forgiveness as I am a public school teacher and the payment is based on my income. 120 consecutive payments and anything left over is wiped away. I have to follow this plan as a result of other people in my life.

Past SRT. I don’t have it anymore as I sold it to pay off debt. Payment was too high at the time. The car I drive was given to me as the owner couldn’t drive a big SUV anymore and brought her bad memories.

Staying out of debt. Abso-effing-lutely. I have us on a strict budget that will allow me to save for a decent down payment. I have zero desire to go backwards. Hence saving to have a smaller payment for a hot rod.

I might not be purchasing a car for sometime, but my brain will not let it go, so I was curious what others here have experienced, hence my original intent.

If/when I am able to have a hot rod, I plan to drive it as much as possible until it snows or ice gets on the road. My car now is 13 years old with 61k miles. I have had it for 14 months and put on 11k in that time, so my winter, bike, family truckster is sorted. Hence my desire to get something I can pass down to one of the kids....there is also some stupid baggage there. Anyway, love the advice thank you all.

If/when I pull the trigger I’ll post her up.

rccardr
01-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Having owned a number of high performance muscle cars (55 Chevy, 69 Camaro, 66 Galaxie, 76 Camaro, 88 Mustang GT) I can tell you that they are easy to love but very difficult to live with as a daily driver. Poor ventilation, bad or non-existant AC, terrible gas mileage (and need premium plus an additive), prone to electrical issues and excessive oil consumption Even if you can do most of the work yourself as I did, inevitably you will have to deal with the difficulty of locating and working with a mechanic who can/will properly repair what you cannot, and finding the parts to fix The Bad Ones.

I was in high school and college when most of the iconic muscle cars were sold new, and honestly, they were not all that great in anything but a straight line.

On the other hand, even slightly more modern-ish stuff is faster, works better, get better mileage, drinks less oil and is immeasurably more comfortable and socially acceptable. My AMG C55 and Golf R32, among others, come to mind as excellent examples of rorty plus livable as dailies. Good, low mileage examples of cars like these can be found for $30K-ish or less these days and what you can't do in your garage can be repaired by the dealer.

John H.
01-05-2018, 05:23 PM
You said that you are now debt free.

Now you should think about building up a bank roll-

If you have $ in the bank you can take advantage of a deal on a muscle car in the future.

If you need a car in general as a daily driver, get something fun but reliable. Something along the lines of a used Golf R, R32, or a GTI. Add an APR stage 1 and it becomes a fast sleeper car.

FlashUNC
01-05-2018, 06:32 PM
If you need a car in general as a daily driver, get something fun but reliable. Something along the lines of a used Golf R, R32, or a GTI. Add an APR stage 1 and it becomes a fast sleeper car.

I love my Mark VI GTI, but VW is far from the latter portion of that "fun but reliable" reco.

ceolwulf
01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Didn't see it mentioned yet; the last Pontiac GTO seems to be mostly forgotten but it's a tremendous lot of car for the money.

But my choice would be likely to be a Pontiac G8 GXP. Manual, of course.

(and I don't even like Pontiac)

The Chevy SS is well worth a look too. Also Cadillac CTS-V.

Actually I just changed my mind, CTS-V coupe for me please.

Seramount
01-05-2018, 06:57 PM
my formative car years had me driving a '68 SS396 Camaro. massaged the engine with a Holley 700, Edelbrock intake, Sig Erson cam, headers, traction bars, etc...

at the strip, it ran 13.0s / 105 mph (at 4,000' elev.)...was fast, but didn't handle or stop well (disc front, drum rear).

replaced it with a '71 Z-28. the 350 ci small block was anemic, yanked it out and stuffed an L-88 427 in its place. 12:1 pistons, ridiculous cam, 850 Holley, yadda yadda...

car was a street beast, rarely lost a race. at the drags, it turned 12.60s/112 mph, but was capable of far better times. eventually sold it to a guy who pulled the motor, installed a blower, and put in a drag boat.

as much as I loved those cars, they were ONLY good for going in a straight line. modern autos are soooo much more refined now. they haul ass, stop, handle, and get decent mileage (the L-88 got ~8 mpg).

a new Audi TT RS clocks 11.60s et, and performs in ways those old-school Camaros could never accomplish.

going resto-mod 60s muscle car might be fun, but for the same money, I'd probably opt for something newish.

currently driving an '06 Acura RSX Type-S, which is not an asphalt ripper, but is quick and fairly nimble. considering a new ride, might go Golf-R, dunno...

dddd
01-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Muscle car or fast car isn't going to do much for you.

rnhood
01-05-2018, 07:00 PM
I would go modern, and with the Mustang GT350, STR Charger, or perhaps the ZL1 Camaro. Of these, I like the GT350 the best on paper but have not driven any of them. All these cars are pushing $50k or more, so take your time and try to drive them or at least models representing them. Going modern you will avoid the headaches of older muscle cars, even though many of them are classics. If you are buying to show, then the older ones are Ok, but if you're buying to drive then go with today's offerings.

JAGI410
01-05-2018, 07:09 PM
LS Miata.

https://youtu.be/SLONL8ax9CI

cadence90
01-05-2018, 07:12 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/96/2e/65/962e65b325f9f741a6f5ec0d98608857--vanishing-point-movie-the-vanishing.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f8/f9/23/f8f9233fed091f7ac6c06cb185b411d3--vanishing-point-movie-cars.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/9f/4b/e89f4bb11086092cac32eecde58da5d2--hot-rods-transport.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57e05e534402434aa0f846c2/t/5952ca3ae110ebe6bb291e9f/1498597957749/?format=750w

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/a5/cb/7ca5cb4ca5f0c74df8a8141caf773465--vanishing-point-movie-chase-movie.jpg

Tickdoc
01-05-2018, 07:14 PM
my formative car years had me driving a '68 SS396 Camaro. massaged the engine with a Holley 700, Edelbrock intake, Sig Erson cam, headers, traction bars, etc...

at the strip, it ran 13.0s / 105 mph (at 4,000' elev.)...was fast, but didn't handle or stop well (disc front, drum rear).

replaced it with a '71 Z-28. the 350 ci small block was anemic, yanked it out and stuffed an L-88 427 in its place. 12:1 pistons, ridiculous cam, 850 Holley, yadda yadda...

car was a street beast, rarely lost a race. at the drags, it turned 12.60s/112 mph, but was capable of far better times. eventually sold it to a guy who pulled the motor, installed a blower, and put in a drag boat.

as much as I loved those cars, they were ONLY good for going in a straight line. modern autos are soooo much more refined now. they haul ass, stop, handle, and get decent mileage (the L-88 got ~8 mpg).

a new Audi TT RS clocks 11.60s et, and performs in ways those old-school Camaros could never accomplish.

going resto-mod 60s muscle car might be fun, but for the same money, I'd probably opt for something newish.

currently driving an '06 Acura RSX Type-S, which is not an asphalt ripper, but is quick and fairly nimble. considering a new ride, might go Golf-R, dunno...

Doesn’t sound like you are much of a Ford guy, but amazing what you can get today:

https://jalopnik.com/a-stock-2018-mustang-gt-is-a-cheap-way-to-get-an-11-sec-1821805981

tuscanyswe
01-05-2018, 07:18 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/96/2e/65/962e65b325f9f741a6f5ec0d98608857--vanishing-point-movie-the-vanishing.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f8/f9/23/f8f9233fed091f7ac6c06cb185b411d3--vanishing-point-movie-cars.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/9f/4b/e89f4bb11086092cac32eecde58da5d2--hot-rods-transport.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57e05e534402434aa0f846c2/t/5952ca3ae110ebe6bb291e9f/1498597957749/?format=750w

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/a5/cb/7ca5cb4ca5f0c74df8a8141caf773465--vanishing-point-movie-chase-movie.jpg

That car is bad ass! Just right. Good choice :)

jimcav
01-05-2018, 07:53 PM
I have two 2nd gen trans ams. A '74 455 and a '79 403. The 79 is an unmolested survivor with 35k miles. I used both as daily drivers before i retired from the military. Now they are occasional weekend drivers. People take pics of them in parking lots; my sons get a kick out of that. I've been meaning to sell one, but have no pressing need now that my mom has passed and I am no longer helping support her. Driving them takes me right back to high school and college--drove my 1980 trans am from maryland to indiana and back many times, in weather that would probably terrify me now. Although, tires today are MUCH better. I think modern sports cars are a bit wasted in most urban/traffic settings. I've had some nice ones over the years, but rarely got to enjoy what they can do because of the traffic, so prefer the vintage feel as it I enjoy it regardless of whether the road is wide open, curvy, or a traffic light (or circle) every quarter mile. The other plus for me is I love the vintage look, which is impossible with modern safety issues--I know they try to capture some part of the heritage, but modern muscle just looks like a bloated version. If you get lucky, you might find a good resto-mod where someone else takes that depreciation and you get the cool look with a crate motor, sharper handling, and disc brakes. Anyway, vintage means taking more time as a bad one is a money pit, but a good one is simple to work on and keep going if the drivetrain is sound.
Best of luck in your hunt and purchase. All said, my current ram 1500 is a blast--power and visibility; and doesn't scrape going over anything.
jim

John H.
01-05-2018, 08:30 PM
I never had any problems with mine. Must have had something to do with only driving 6k miles in 3 years ;)

I love my Mark VI GTI, but VW is far from the latter portion of that "fun but reliable" reco.

ergott
01-05-2018, 09:05 PM
I hate straight line cars. That said I see the Camaro and Mustang of late having a lot more track development. Based purely on looks I'd go Mustang which is the opposite of my youth. I was always a Camaro kid.

I'd just get a regular Mustang GT. They have more than enough power and with a set of pipes you can makes it sound as raw as you can stomach. It might sound silly, but all my driving sim experience has made me appreciate a well balanced car far more than a horsepower queen. No good having power that you can't stomp on regularly. Just look at all the YouTube videos of people getting their vipers and vettes sideways when they try to turn off the parental controls on their car.

All said I drive a stock VW GTI and it has all I need for public roads.

https://jalopnik.com/whats-the-ideal-amount-of-horsepower-for-you-1775204360

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jeff N.
01-05-2018, 09:29 PM
what's the really awesome camaro? The zl1 1le or something? That one.z-28?

Louis
01-05-2018, 09:38 PM

I am in the process of starting to prepare to buy a muscle car.
:
:
:
So what would you get, what should I look for, what should I avoid, and other things that would help me make a better decision?

The first thing that comes to my mind is this:

I suggest that you think about what's important to you and fully understand why you want this particular type of car.

For example, if it's to enjoy it as a fun driving car, then I think (as was suggested above) that a muscle car wouldn't be the best choice, because about all they can do well is look tough and accelerate in a straight line.

cowgirl
01-06-2018, 01:41 AM
If y'all want a real modern muscle car- get a Challenger Scat pack. The Camaro and Mustang are really more sports cars than musxm cars.

Scatpacks are all engine and big and dumb and great. Plus- y'all will also be getting a 2002 Mercedes with a Hemi and a good looking bod that'll make lots of men want to talk to you.

Get the 6 speed.

Put Mickey Thomson drag radials on the back.

Be a man not a baby.

😘😘

soulspinner
01-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Mustang. New Shelby GT350.

Flat plane crank yo.

Like it.........

JonB
01-06-2018, 07:42 AM
I have a '14 Chevy SS. Great sleeper car. Big enough to do family duties & business needs(customers out to lunch). Great highway car. It looks like a police car so people generally stay out of my way. Good chassis and brakes so its fun to play with (albiet a bit large). It has a 6.2L V8. 415HP.

After test driving the manual, I went with the automatic. Mostly highway driving / city driving in FL. Plus the remote start is very nice to cool off the car (or warm it up - its cold right now in FL) before getting in.

While I haven't been a tuner guy, I've done some research and have found there are plenty of ways to make it faster, louder, etc.

alancw3
01-06-2018, 08:27 AM
i was a teenager during the mid sixties and the two hottest muscle cars around were a plymouth or dodge 426/425hp hemi and to a lesser extent a lightweight chevy II with an l-79 corvette 327/350 hp engine. sure there were many other muscle cars around at the time but these two cars ruled the track. both were king of the road at the time.

one of my favorite examples of a 426 hemi in a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfV87TgYH78

Spdntrxi
01-06-2018, 08:38 AM
This is an easy one...a 1967 Chevelle SS 427. A buddy of mine once owned one and they just absolutely SCREAM! Scarry fast/powerful. Or....a Nova SS in the same year/configuration. Then slip a Doors 8-track into the factory deck, turn up the volume and step on the gas! A '62 4-speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409 Impala would be one more.

You Sir have good taste

Seramount
01-06-2018, 08:41 AM
z-28?

nah, go COPO...

http://www.epicspeed.net/gm-runs-8s-14-mile-testing-all-new-2016-copo-camaro/

IFRider
01-06-2018, 08:54 AM
This could be yours (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-shelby-gt-350r/)

Nothing like a black car with AC/rear seats deleted that says I am serious about muscle cars ...

Seramount
01-06-2018, 08:57 AM
This is an easy one...a 1967 Chevelle SS 427.

pretty sure the only way a '67 Chevelle was available off the showroom with a 427 was via high-performance dealerships (Baldwin Motion or Yenko) as that engine/body combo was not a factory option.

if your buddy's came from one of those sources, it has serious collector's value.

but, just swapping a stock 396 for a 427 was probably done countless times by shade tree mechanics...

one of my pals in high school ran a '67 GTO with a 427 alum head Chevy rat motor. the conversion only required different motor mounts.

texbike
01-06-2018, 09:01 AM
If y'all want a real modern muscle car- get a Challenger Scat pack. The Camaro and Mustang are really more sports cars than musxm cars.

Scatpacks are all engine and big and dumb and great. Plus- y'all will also be getting a 2002 Mercedes with a Hemi and a good looking bod that'll make lots of men want to talk to you.

Get the 6 speed.

Put Mickey Thomson drag radials on the back.

Be a man not a baby.

^This! Especially with the shaker hood. Plenty of HP! You'll never be able to fully utilize all of that power much less the power that's provided by the Hellcat, Demon or one of the insane Camaros or Mustangs. The new Challenger is the modern epitome of a classic muscle car. No one does it better at this point.

a smoking hot wife...

However, this may be a better place to spend your money.... ;)

Texbike

ripvanrando
01-06-2018, 09:17 AM
You said that you are now debt free.

Now you should think about building up a bank roll-

If you have $ in the bank you can take advantage of a deal on a muscle car in the future.

As a countering point of view, you can never predict health. I can buy any modern car available but can't drive more than 10 minutes.

If OP has the funds, buy it.

Don't wait.

54ny77
01-06-2018, 11:18 AM
I recently rented a basic Challenger with V8 hemi. It was friggin' awesome. The sound was music. Nice thing about the auto trans: you can blip the throttle (so long as not in first gear) while putzing along and it'll downshift without launching. Fun for loud exhaust noises and putting smiles on kids' faces as they point and give the thumbs up!

Modern muscle car indeed!

First time I'd ever driven a modern Dodge, and came away really impressed. Can't imagine how much fun that car in SRT hi-power trim must be.

It's funny looking at fuel monitor when flooring it. The figure about 2-3 mpg. :D

Cruising along in town by the way, going gentle on throttle, puts the car in 4 cylinder mode. You'd never know it if u need to go quickly to pass, because the other bank opens up in a blink.

Tickdoc
01-06-2018, 01:08 PM
You’re a bad bad man Dave b.

This thread inspired me to run down to he local dealer and test out the new gt.

Deep maroon, automatic. Pretty loaded and cooled seats.

So much more fun than the grandpa car I’ve been driving since 2012.

Dealbreaker for me? I’m not sure if you can put a hitch in it. Dealer didn’t know either. Gotta have a bike rack because there is no way a bike is going to stuff in the back of that beast.

My brain is still whirling from the raw power and the sound.

FlashUNC
01-06-2018, 01:24 PM

Dealbreaker for me? I’m not sure if you can put a hitch in it. Dealer didn’t know either. Gotta have a bike rack because there is no way a bike is going to stuff in the back of that beast.

Seasucker rack. Problem solved.

Ralph
Pretty sure you can put a 1 1/4" hidden hitch on it. But last Mustang I had (2010).....with rear seat folded down.....and bike wheels off.....could put a 56 CM bike in thru front passenger side door opening.

dancinkozmo
muscle cars leave a big carbon footprint....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJfxKuIil5LPk9Vv1LnlLk9VPOIqat5 gQ-Du8hPOx7jmudeSUeKQ

ceolwulf
01-06-2018, 03:32 PM

You can put a hitch on it and it's even tow rated for 1000 lb.

Ralph
01-06-2018, 05:24 PM
I've had various Mustangs for years. Even supercharged a couple. Really enjoyed the power of those solid axle cars. Say what you will about the solid axle cars.....they would take the power with 32 spline (or more) axles. Even if when one rear wheel hits a bump, the other rear wheel hops also. Solid axle cars don't run negative rear wheel camber like IRS cars do.....so for lots of forward power, rear tires are planted squarely on the pavement.

If buying a new Mustang.....I would seriously consider the Eco Boost 4 cylinder model....with all the handling packages. And lower rear axle gear than stock ....like 3.55's or 3.73's. (and 30 MPG highway) About a 100 lbs less on front wheels, it offer better F/R balance. With more TQ then V8 Mustangs of 10 years ago. 14 second quarters and around 100 MPH (bone stock with AC on) is about V8 territory about 10 years ago. Also....with IRS and those fancy Magnetic struts and shocks of way more expensive cars.....I would say handling with summer rubber and those shocks is on par with about anything....such as M and AMG cars etc. To me....the Eco Boost Mustang is a poor mans version of a M3 or equivalent, for a lot less money. The Eco Boost models with the handling packages and summer rubber is more a (large) sports car than a muscle car. And keep in mind...a lower rear axle gear than stock feels like an extra 50 HP.

Dave B
01-06-2018, 06:26 PM
This could be yours (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-shelby-gt-350r/)

Nothing like a black car with AC/rear seats deleted that says I am serious about muscle cars ...

That is just sick. Love it.

With so many chiming in, it has provided exactly what I had hoped for.

Thank you.

54ny77
01-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Yup. Totally agree with that!

I just put in 4.10 rear in my car. It goes.

Am turning around 2k at 65. Not bad at all.

And keep in mind...a lower rear axle gear than stock feels like an extra 50 HP.

GregL
01-06-2018, 09:55 PM
I've had various Mustangs for years. Even supercharged a couple. Really enjoyed the power of those solid axle cars. Say what you will about the solid axle cars.....they would take the power with 32 spline (or more) axles. Even if when one rear wheel hits a bump, the other rear wheel hops also. Solid axle cars don't run negative rear wheel camber like IRS cars do.....so for lots of forward power, rear tires are planted squarely on the pavement.

If buying a new Mustang.....I would seriously consider the Eco Boost 4 cylinder model....with all the handling packages. And lower rear axle gear than stock ....like 3.55's or 3.73's. (and 30 MPG highway) About a 100 lbs less on front wheels, it offer better F/R balance. With more TQ then V8 Mustangs of 10 years ago. 14 second quarters and around 100 MPH (bone stock with AC on) is about V8 territory about 10 years ago. Also....with IRS and those fancy Magnetic struts and shocks of way more expensive cars.....I would say handling with summer rubber and those shocks is on par with about anything....such as M and AMG cars etc. To me....the Eco Boost Mustang is a poor mans version of a M3 or equivalent, for a lot less money. The Eco Boost models with the handling packages and summer rubber is more a (large) sports car than a muscle car. And keep in mind...a lower rear axle gear than stock feels like an extra 50 HP.
And you can add the Ford Performance calibration kit to get 335 HP and 420 lb-ft of torque - out of a 2.3 liter engine - with a warranty! If I was in the market for a new performance car, this would be near the top of the list.

Greg

bking
01-08-2018, 04:31 PM
I went through this 15 years ago. I wanted this: http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1967-Shelby-GT500-Fastback-5.jpg

I bought this (the black thing in the background): https://photos.smugmug.com/Tour-de-Bike/My-Bikes/i-G9TrD6N/0/08bbcc65/XL/my%20bikes%20008-XL.jpg

I reasoned that I'm not a collector, I wanted to drive it. And I'd argue to this day no one makes "muscle" cars to be driven like porsche. I've put over 100,000 miles on this car, 90% of it driving all across this country, several times; on every kind of road, including dirt roads, over snow covered passes (all wheel drive, you know) and places you just don't take nice cars. I lowered it, did some suspension work, exhaust work and pumped up the motor to crank out over 600 horsepower. It flat goes, and goes...and goes.
You can't go wrong.

William
01-08-2018, 04:46 PM
...Doing a sort of restomod build. Not show car level, but motor, transmission, suspension, and chassis upgrade. Looks old, but drives modern with power and reliability.

In this episode of Hot Rod Garage presented by Lincoln Tech, Tony Angelo and Lucky Costa decide to go with the wind in their hair in this 1965 Pontiac Lemans convertible. The only problem is that it’s half rust and half dirt, and this thing needs a bunch of sheetmetal repair. Watch the guys replace most of the rear end of the car, and once that is all handled, they install a full frame bracing kit and make the underside of this car WAY prettier than the top side.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4QbTl4yWFw

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDJvNQ_2AI

William

crankles
01-08-2018, 04:50 PM
As a detroit boy, just the word 'hemi' makes me smile.

If you want to piss off the neighbors, I hear the new Demon is shipping;-)

but I'm also a fan of sleepers. So if a used modern sleeper is what you are looking for, the vette engined Caddy are pretty cool. Ugly as hell, fit's wife and kids and no ones the wiser if they don't notice the vette flags.

crankles
01-08-2018, 05:00 PM
ps. There's a 350GTR on BaT right now...my fav though is the sunbeam tiger on BaT.. Not modern, but it is a Ford v8 ;-) Did I mention I like sleepers.

jimcav
01-08-2018, 05:13 PM
. I've put over 100,000 miles on this car, 90% of it driving all across this country, several times; on every kind of road, including dirt roads, over snow covered passes (all wheel drive, you know) and places you just don't take nice cars. Long trips with low traffic would be nice in a car like that. curious, is that 5 or 10 sets of tires in 100k? I had a 997for a few years, and it was a fun car, but expensive and I never got to really enjoy what it could do except for a 2009 road trip where I went up for a few stages of the Tour of CA and went on some curvy secondary roads between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles, with no one around.

tuscanyswe
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM
I went through this 15 years ago. I wanted this: http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1967-Shelby-GT500-Fastback-5.jpg

I bought this (the black thing in the background): https://photos.smugmug.com/Tour-de-Bike/My-Bikes/i-G9TrD6N/0/08bbcc65/XL/my%20bikes%20008-XL.jpg

I reasoned that I'm not a collector, I wanted to drive it. And I'd argue to this day no one makes "muscle" cars to be driven like porsche. I've put over 100,000 miles on this car, 90% of it driving all across this country, several times; on every kind of road, including dirt roads, over snow covered passes (all wheel drive, you know) and places you just don't take nice cars. I lowered it, did some suspension work, exhaust work and pumped up the motor to crank out over 600 horsepower. It flat goes, and goes...and goes.
You can't go wrong.

Hmm i kinda lust for all 3 .)

93KgBike
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM
If 1/4 mile performance is what you crave, wouldn't a Tesla be the most muscular?

ripvanrando
01-08-2018, 05:26 PM
If 1/4 mile performance is what you crave, wouldn't a Tesla be the most muscular?
A glorified Ez-Go won't get the blood flowing to craving or at least for me

Tickdoc
01-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Same here. Holds no appeal to me whatsoever. Friend of mine sent me a link to people’s reactions to launch in ludacris mode and I’m just...meh.

The v8 is visceral. 18-25 omg is good enough for me, although I’d be lucky to avg 16.

bking
01-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Long trips with low traffic would be nice in a car like that. curious, is that 5 or 10 sets of tires in 100k? I had a 997for a few years, and it was a fun car, but expensive and I never got to really enjoy what it could do except for a 2009 road trip where I went up for a few stages of the Tour of CA and went on some curvy secondary roads between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles, with no one around.

Mmm. Yeah, soft tires. Its maybe five sets, perhaps 6. I sought out roads that next to no one used. I'm a map guy so I'd stare at maps for weeks before taking off. The best "ride" in your state is 36, up north. You get on in Fortuna and get off about 2 hrs later--if you're really pushing it, in Red Bluffs. One of the best "E" ticket rides in the country (E ticket, anyone remember those?).

Ken Robb
01-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Mmm. Yeah, soft tires. Its maybe five sets, perhaps 6. I sought out roads that next to no one used. I'm a map guy so I'd stare at maps for weeks before taking off. The best "ride" in your state is 36, up north. You get on in Fortuna and get off about 2 hrs later--if you're really pushing it, in Red Bluffs. One of the best "E" ticket rides in the country (E ticket, anyone remember those?).

10 years ago I asked one of our instructors at a driving school to take a student for "an E Ticket Ride" and neither the instructor nor the student were old enough to know what I was talking about.

azrider
01-09-2018, 02:41 PM
as well as piss off my stupid neighbors.

classy

Dave B
01-09-2018, 02:43 PM
classy

As are you

jlwdm
01-09-2018, 03:27 PM

My wife has had a Tesla for over three years. It is fast but it is not fun to drive. I have two Alfa Romeos that are totally fun to drive and have great sounding exhausts.

Jeff

jimcav
01-09-2018, 04:16 PM

nice handling though. I miss it every once in a great while. sold it to help out my mom when my dad passed. the old vintage cars feel fast and fun to me, even when you aren't going that fast. I contrast modern cars are rock solid--in my ram or my wife's jeep I can hit 85 without realizing it.