PDA

View Full Version : OT - MP3 player w/bluetooth

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Hey folks, thanks for the past recommendations for bt ear buds, got those now.

Next mission - I want to replace my ipad nano. It works great, but I hate having to use itunes. I just want a player that works with folders, lets me drag mp3's onto it.
But, must be bluetooth. It doesn't seem like there are that many on the market, at least not brand name stuff (some odd stuff I've never heard of on amazon...).

Any suggestions?

Thx!

AngryScientist
01-04-2018, 04:13 PM
samsung galaxy player

used one for years, mainly for use with spotify, but will do what you want too.

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks, a bit bigger than I'm looking for (gym use and running), and I think those are discontinued.

zmudshark
01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
I believe some of the sandisk players use BT. I have an old clip hooked to a stereo that I use in the shop. It's great.

Drag and drop from File Explorer in Windows, uses micro SD card. I let mine play random for a few months, then pop a new card in. Some players use Rockshox as an OS, with dual boot. Pretty slick.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sport-Bluetooth-Player-Black/dp/B01MR6GS9Q

kramnnim
01-04-2018, 10:47 PM
I believe some of the sandisk players use BT. I have an old clip hooked to a stereo that I use in the shop. It's great.

Drag and drop from File Explorer in Windows, uses micro SD card. I let mine play random for a few months, then pop a new card in. Some players use Rockshox as an OS, with dual boot. Pretty slick.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sport-Bluetooth-Player-Black/dp/B01MR6GS9Q

The Sansas currently available don't work with Rockbox. :(

vqdriver
01-05-2018, 05:54 AM
Could buy an old model android phone on craigs and just not activate it.

BobC
01-05-2018, 06:25 AM
I think Sony still makes the Walkman mp3 player. I have a couple older ones (pre blue tooth) & they are quite good. It uses Media Go as the program, which is light years better than iTunes.
Only down side is that I don't think Sony is putting any money in the Walkman series as they see mp3 players as a dying breed (hence why Apple killed off the nano)

oldguy00
01-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Could buy an old model android phone on craigs and just not activate it.

Thanks but don't really want something that big.

oldguy00
01-05-2018, 10:05 AM
I think Sony still makes the Walkman mp3 player. I have a couple older ones (pre blue tooth) & they are quite good. It uses Media Go as the program, which is light years better than iTunes.
Only down side is that I don't think Sony is putting any money in the Walkman series as they see mp3 players as a dying breed (hence why Apple killed off the nano)

I do like the sony stuff, but other than I think one model that costs like 200+, all the others don't have bluetooth.

BLD 25
01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
I was thinking about this just this morning. I enjoy doing sprints(on foot), and having a big phone in my hand or even on my arm is a pain. A quick search on amazon shows many many mp3 bluetooth players for around $30 that should work. I think I might try one.

pakora
01-05-2018, 12:12 PM
The Sansas currently available don't work with Rockbox. :(

My experience with bluetooth phones is limited, but I've had crappy luck with bluetooth and the Sansa Clip. This is with various cheapish wired headsets (the two BT buds wired together) as well as the Jam wireless buds. Tons of drop in/out, doesn't automatically pair all the time (or at all for one device). Could be those headsets just suck, but the battery drain on both devices makes them pretty much unusable for more than a short run or ride or commute (say up to 90 minutes).

That said, I've been stuck on Sansas for a while - if they made one without the album art with a monochrome text LED again and added bluetooth I'd buy like 20 and stockpile them. I've been very impressed with the durability of the bluetooth Sansa Clip. Pretty incredible battery life considering it's a 40 gram device - I get 20 hours or more with wired phones.