PDA

View Full Version : Campy crank install... :(

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 10:45 AM
OK, need some help!

Building up a 2009 Colnago extreme power. Finally got the italian bottom bracket cups in the mail. Specifically got the 'record' cups, not super record as I am using chorus cranks. Its the newer version of the chorus cranks if it matters.

I cannot seem to get the cranks to tighten up all the way, still a good amount of play. I have the wavy washer installed on the non-drive side, and the clip on the drive side.

What am I doing wrong??? :(

AngryScientist
01-04-2018, 10:50 AM
have you measured the BB shell width?

be aware that with UT cranks, you need to get that central bolt damned tight. what tool are you using to tighten it?

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 10:53 AM
have you measured the BB shell width?

be aware that with UT cranks, you need to get that central bolt damned tight. what tool are you using to tighten it?

I have a long handled park 10mm allen wrench. When I get it as tight as I can, there is still play not only inward/outward, but also fore/aft, like maybe the teeth aren't fully engaging..

I haven't measured the BB width..

oldpotatoe
01-04-2018, 10:53 AM
OK, need some help!

Building up a 2009 Colnago extreme power. Finally got the italian bottom bracket cups in the mail. Specifically got the 'record' cups, not super record as I am using chorus cranks. Its the newer version of the chorus cranks if it matters.

I cannot seem to get the cranks to tighten up all the way, still a good amount of play. I have the wavy washer installed on the non-drive side, and the clip on the drive side.

What am I doing wrong??? :(

Maybe nothing..play how? Width of BB shell? Bolt from RH side? Hirth teeth engaged properly? Bolt needs to be greased and tight. Hirth teeth grease as well. If you have a severely undersized BB shell, it should be 70mm..if it's way under that, 'may' need a spacer. Bearings proper and installed onto crank?

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Maybe nothing..play how? Width of BB shell? Bolt from RH side? Hirth teeth engaged properly? Bolt needs to be greased and tight. Hirth teeth grease as well. If you have a severely undersized BB shell, it should be 70mm..if it's way under that, 'may' need a spacer. Bearings proper and installed onto crank?

See above response, play in all axis'. Measured BB width with tape measure, 70mm.

AngryScientist
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
i bet you dont have that bolt tight enough. like peter said - grease it and get a long handled socket wrench or breaker bar and allen socket and crank it down. seriously - they need to be TIGHT.

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I attached a wrench to the end of the long allen wrench to give me extra torque, it is still way loose, lots of for/aft play too, again, like the teeth aren't engaging. Is it possible I've got too much width? Try removing the wavy washer?

tuscanyswe
01-04-2018, 11:06 AM
That sounds odd..

There are bearings installed on the crank arms right? :banana:

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 11:10 AM
That sounds odd..

There are bearings installed on the crank arms right? :banana:

yup!

Mzilliox
01-04-2018, 11:17 AM
take some pictures! there is something not engaging properly if you have the right width BB, right cups, and right crank...

R3awak3n
01-04-2018, 11:20 AM
that is strange, there should never be play on the X and Y axis, when you put the arm in it should be locked. You said there is play on all axis but you mean just Z right?

zank
01-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Don't ask me why I might suggest this but....you are putting the bolt through both halves correct?

Yes, I have accidentally threaded from the wrong side. Oops.

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Don't ask me why I might suggest this but....you are putting the bolt through both halves correct?

Yes, I have accidentally threaded from the wrong side. Oops.

Houston, we have a problem.......jesus christ, right before you posted this, I realized thats what I was doing!!!
The crankset was given to me with the bolt screwed into the nd side for delivery. Never realized there were no threads on the drive side and that it needed to be inserted into that side!!!!

Ugghhh.....is it friday yet!?!?!?

zank
01-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Good stuff. Glad it wasn't something major.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2018, 12:11 PM
I attached a wrench to the end of the long allen wrench to give me extra torque, it is still way loose, lots of for/aft play too, again, like the teeth aren't engaging. Is it possible I've got too much width? Try removing the wavy washer?

Removing the wavy washer would give more play. Something isn’t right but w/o
seeing it, hard to say.

Ah, I see, ‘bolt from right hand side?’....you are the first nor will you be the last to do this. Glad you figured it out.

AngryScientist
01-04-2018, 12:16 PM
good on you for owning up to that.

glad it was an easy fix. UT cranks have proven to be pretty trouble free for me.

oldguy00
01-04-2018, 12:41 PM
good on you for owning up to that.

glad it was an easy fix. UT cranks have proven to be pretty trouble free for me.

I've done campy UT installs twice in the past, but not for about 5 years....shoulda checked out youtube first.... :)

ultraman6970
01-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Oldguy keep in mind this before you put all together in the future, always grab the central bolt in turn it into the axle, just to be sure where the thread is and in which direction goes, this reminds me the 4 arms chorus and SR ive seen use the thread backwards.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Oldguy keep in mind this before you put all together in the future, always grab the central bolt in turn it into the axle, just to be sure where the thread is and in which direction goes, this reminds me the 4 arms chorus and SR ive seen use the thread backwards.

SR with titanium axle, that bolt is Ti and left threaded.

dddd
01-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Reminds me of the time I tried pulling a crankarm without first removing the crankbolt washer, lol.