PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bike Dreaming on a Snowy Day

Nooch
01-04-2018, 09:27 AM
In the middle of the BOMBOGENESIS and sitting at my quiet office, dreaming of warmer days and new bikes :)

If you were looking for a steel road bike from a custom builder, to whom would you look (of the following):

Thrive
Zukas
Zanc
Tomii
Fabrica
Rock Lobster
Speedvagen

I'm throwing some dollars every check into a little fun money account, so dreaming about possibly owning something custom down the line (been on my mind forever, but finally in the place to consider doing something about it).

While so many will say that anyone can build a bike that rides as well as a 'vagen, something about them always spoke to me (but they're at the higher echelon of what my wife might consider divorcing me for spending). Something about the hourglass seatstays and the ISP appeals to me in ways I can't quantify.

The shop I used to work at started selling Fabrica, and their work looks top notch, but I've never ridden one.

Thrive, Zukas, and 44 still feel like the new kids on the block, all doing some unique things and their small bikes look right to me. Zukas does some cool seatstay manipulation (but I never quite understood his pseudo-ISP) and his paint is killer. Thrive, when Darrell showed his first frame (which looked like it would fit me like a glove) I just kinda fell for it.. Nao Tomii, again, beautiful paint and designs, little details, they just look beautiful. And his VW Bug -- oof, just speaks to me.

And then there's Zanc, who's reputation precedes him, his a forum sponsor, and again, everything on his bikes just look right..

So, if I ever can pull the trigger on one -- who should I call? :)

I'll throw in one edit -- with the exception of the vagen (which is out of my budget, more than likely, at $4650 *2017 pricing*, I'd say the budget is sub $3000 frame/fork...

thegunner
01-04-2018, 10:17 AM
why steel alone?

i was on the fence about picking up a zank about 2 years ago, ended up with a deposit down at FF instead (not by my choosing ha), but i would probably want to play that game if i were doing a second steel bike.

FF xcr stainless should also be on your list, but it's more spendy than the SV.

NYCfixie
01-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Zank for lugged steel road (aka short-reach brakes).
Hampsten for lugged steel or welded Strada Biancha (aka mid-reach brakes).
44 for All-Road (aka disc brakes).

William
01-04-2018, 10:36 AM
I'd go with something from...

Zanc
LLewellyn
Enigma
Legend (Elite Velo)
and Kirk Frameworks

All would build you something stellar...oh and they are all sponsors here. ;):)

William

DRZRM
01-04-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm working with Mike Z. right now (again) and he is a pleasure to work with. I love his bikes, and he is a builder who gets customer service. Always fun to talk to one the phone. His tig'ed MAX frames look sick.

I'd say the same of Kirk, but he is not in your original list.

FlashUNC
01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
I'd call Paul in a heartbeat. Whether alloy or steel, he makes pretty killer stuff.

Nooch
01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
I'm working with Mike Z. right now (again) and he is a pleasure to work with. I love his bikes, and he is a builder who gets customer service. Always fun to talk to one the phone. His tig'ed MAX frames look sick.

I'd say the same of Kirk, but he is not in your original list.

Unfortunately I feel Dave is out of my price range (same with speedvagen, ultimately).

It's one of those things, right -- i want some features of the speedvagen, but would feel wrong asking someone like Mike to incorporate them into a frame if it weren't something he normally did.. I can't help but swoon over hour glass stays..

JasonF
01-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Dave Kirk....the ordering process and communication was perfect. The finished product blew away my expectations and was a perfect embodiment of what I was looking for - with due regard to his decades of experience of what works and what is less optimal.

I've been blessed to own several custom bikes and they all fell short in one way or the other...but not my Kirk. If it were me, I'd save a bit longer realizing that the higher up-front cost will be money well-spent.

Tickdoc
01-04-2018, 10:45 AM
can't go wrong with any listed there.

Latest one to catch my eye:

Darren Crisp.https://farm1.static.flickr.com/760/22380678370_b4d45770e8_b.jpg

jtbadge
01-04-2018, 10:51 AM
I too fell in love with Darrel's work as soon as I saw it. Always incredible fillet work and a clean aesthetic. My Thrive is in progress. He has closed his order queue, though, unfortunately.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4641/38435469025_9572804266_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21ypPSr)DSC_1419 (https://flic.kr/p/21ypPSr) by Thrive Cycles (https://www.flickr.com/photos/99879310@N02/), on Flickr

Love my (preowned) Rock Lobster.

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/rock-lobster-team-al-road-33845_5.jpg

If I needed another custom road frame, would be a toss up between Rock Lobster and Zanconato, and I probably wouldn't stray far from my current Rock Lobster.

For MTB or cross, Sklar is the long and short of my list. Swoopy tubes and shreddy geo.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/535d346fe4b03ecd54f1fd25/5a26c18353450a41c5f661e5/5a26c18e0d9297d273aa7925/1512489627687/sklar-custom-mountain-bike-bikepacking-3.jpg?format=750w

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/535d346fe4b03ecd54f1fd25/597f2ec45016e1ac9a8e6624/597f2ec56f4ca302dd19c133/1501507291609/Sklar+custom+steel+mountain+bike+frame+1.JPG?forma t=750w

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/535d346fe4b03ecd54f1fd25/5818a7e0c534a52382d1360b/5818a7e1e4fcb5b1147c2e6c/1478010924876/_SGB1938.JPG?format=750w

MattTuck
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Of those, I'd go with Zanc. I could visit him, and I think that says a lot, in terms of getting a bike that is built to be a custom frame, as opposed to a second hand (not in the used sense) custom frame via another fitter.

Whatever tendencies and biases another fitter might have could mesh well with a given builder's design philosophy or could run counter to it. Best is if you can get fitted by the builder themself.

DrSpoke
01-04-2018, 11:01 AM
DiNucci
Cherubim

David Tollefson
01-04-2018, 11:08 AM
If I weren't making my own...

My short list would be Zukas, Coconino, and Winter. And those last two, I'd pay extra for raw fillets.

AngryScientist
01-04-2018, 11:11 AM
if i had a pile of money to buy a custom bike right now, i know exactly who i would call, and he is not on your list.

that said, there is not near enough information in your original post to fabricate an intelligent answer.

since you and i are about the same size, a beginning approach would be to understand how any builder deals with smaller sized frames. executing a small frame well is not necessarily a given, especially if you're interested in things like fancy stays and tire clearance. i would also be interested in what changes a builder makes to a particular sized frame based on rider weight.

also, you didnt mention what the intended purpose of the bike is, leisure road, pure race, dirt capable? some of the builders have a specialty or niche that they are good at, at that would sway the decision.

obviously price is a concern. you say SV and Kirk are not in your price range, yet you list one of them as an option.

the other major consideration, for me at least, in 2018 for a steel bike - is what will a custom do for me that a good 2nd hand bike can not. the used market is flooded with really, really excellent bikes right now that can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to a new custom.

all this is academic for me, all discretionary spending is being diverted to a few new, non bike related projects for me moving forward. i have too many damned bikes anyway :)

ltwtsculler91
01-04-2018, 11:12 AM
You already know my answer... :banana:

Either one of these, or just go back to Ti and grab a No22...

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_1012.jpg

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/img_6289.jpg?w=1400&h=&crop=1

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_1061.jpg

onsight512
01-04-2018, 11:14 AM
...from that list, Zanc.

Idris Icabod
01-04-2018, 11:18 AM
There is a difference between dream bike and realistic bike. If it was a dream bike in steel then for me it's a Vanilla, but I don't have the patience or money.

I ended up getting a Mercian a few years ago as a naturalization gift (I gave up UK citizenship so bought a British bike to compensate). It hit all the right notes. Custom, with the ability to make any changes I wanted; really great to work with; in-house paint and willing to customize; it helped that the USD is so strong against the GBP making the frame a bargain in comparison to the US builders.

There is quite a renaissance in Britain of young up and coming builders as well as the established guys (Bob Jackson, Mercian etc.) and Brexit is making shopping there quite attractive.

Nooch
01-04-2018, 11:26 AM
if i had a pile of money to buy a custom bike right now, i know exactly who i would call, and he is not on your list.

that said, there is not near enough information in your original post to fabricate an intelligent answer.

since you and i are about the same size, a beginning approach would be to understand how any builder deals with smaller sized frames. executing a small frame well is not necessarily a given, especially if you're interested in things like fancy stays and tire clearance. i would also be interested in what changes a builder makes to a particular sized frame based on rider weight.

also, you didnt mention what the intended purpose of the bike is, leisure road, pure race, dirt capable? some of the builders have a specialty or niche that they are good at, at that would sway the decision.

obviously price is a concern. you say SV and Kirk are not in your price range, yet you list one of them as an option.

the other major consideration, for me at least, in 2018 for a steel bike - is what will a custom do for me that a good 2nd hand bike can not. the used market is flooded with really, really excellent bikes right now that can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to a new custom.

all this is academic for me, all discretionary spending is being diverted to a few new, non bike related projects for me moving forward. i have too many damned bikes anyway :)

YOU could make this all easier by divesting your portfolio for those pennies on the dollar you mention ;) The geekhouse or the zanc would be well taken care of!

For the most part, I'm young enough that I want something race-y, yet comfortable enough for a century. (I did my first on the gaulzetti, so, my standards aren't terribly high). I like a bike that jumps when I stand. I'm a nervous descender to start with, so I want something that inspires confidence. Will a bike make me a better bike handler? Doubtful, but at least give me the confidence to push a little harder. Has to fit 28's (that might measure large..)

And yeah, I mention speedvagen -- which still comes in almost $1000 less than a kirk, if i'm not mistaken -- because our good friend TheGunner continues to rave about his. And I like pretty paint. And if I could get my wife off the "You're never spending $5000 on a bike" mindset then I'd be saving longer for one..

Nooch
01-04-2018, 11:29 AM
You already know my answer... :banana:

Either one of these, or just go back to Ti and grab a No22...

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_1012.jpg

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/img_6289.jpg?w=1400&h=&crop=1

https://thecyclesportexperience.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/img_1061.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know! Perhaps paul is up for letting me borrow his come spring...

ltwtsculler91
01-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Yeah, yeah... I know! Perhaps paul is up for letting me borrow his come spring...

I'm sure you could get one out for a spin.

The Strada and the No22 great divide are EXACTLY the type 9/10ths race bike you're looking for but you know that already.

bicycletricycle
01-04-2018, 11:35 AM
East, tomii

In the middle of the BOMBOGENESIS and sitting at my quiet office, dreaming of warmer days and new bikes :)

If you were looking for a steel road bike from a custom builder, to whom would you look (of the following):

Thrive
Zukas
Zanc
Tomii
Fabrica
Rock Lobster
Speedvagen

I'm throwing some dollars every check into a little fun money account, so dreaming about possibly owning something custom down the line (been on my mind forever, but finally in the place to consider doing something about it).

While so many will say that anyone can build a bike that rides as well as a 'vagen, something about them always spoke to me (but they're at the higher echelon of what my wife might consider divorcing me for spending). Something about the hourglass seatstays and the ISP appeals to me in ways I can't quantify.

The shop I used to work at started selling Fabrica, and their work looks top notch, but I've never ridden one.

Thrive, Zukas, and 44 still feel like the new kids on the block, all doing some unique things and their small bikes look right to me. Zukas does some cool seatstay manipulation (but I never quite understood his pseudo-ISP) and his paint is killer. Thrive, when Darrell showed his first frame (which looked like it would fit me like a glove) I just kinda fell for it.. Nao Tomii, again, beautiful paint and designs, little details, they just look beautiful. And his VW Bug -- oof, just speaks to me.

And then there's Zanc, who's reputation precedes him, his a forum sponsor, and again, everything on his bikes just look right..

I'll throw in one edit -- with the exception of the vagen (which is out of my budget, more than likely, at $4650 *2017 pricing*, I'd say the budget is sub $3000 frame/fork...

thegunner
01-04-2018, 11:40 AM
And yeah, I mention speedvagen -- which still comes in almost $1000 less than a kirk, if i'm not mistaken -- because our good friend TheGunner continues to rave about his. And I like pretty paint. And if I could get my wife off the "You're never spending $5000 on a bike" mindset then I'd be saving longer for one..

to be fair, if i were going steel again, i'd probably get a rob english, but i'm all set for the near future.

weisan
01-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Really good response from angry, worth reading and re-reading a couple of times.

sparky33
01-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Can't go wrong with any of the above. I will add two more:

333Fab...Max builds in all flavors of steel (and ti) with seasoned skills and with reasonable queue&price.

Chris Bishop... see that photostream!!! but likely on the $higher end$

KarlC
01-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Why not find a used SpeedVagen that fits you ?

Yes and there's a reason people rave about the SpeedVagen ride ........

come to the city, throw your leg over the speedvagen and tell me that it doesn't make you giddy like a schoolgirl ;)

Nooch
01-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Why not find a used SpeedVagen that fits you ?

Yes and there's a reason people rave about the SpeedVagen ride ........

This all stemmed from my continued kicking myself for not grabbing the one you snagged -- the rust concerned me too much.

That said, if anyone's sitting on a 52.5 - 53.5 ETT vagen that'll take a 68.5cm saddle height, you know where to find me...

SPOKE
01-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Thrive
Zukas
Zanc
Tomii
Fabrica
Rock Lobster
Speedvagen

Would be a good choice. I sent him a deposit on Tuesday evening for one of the few lugged Max tubed frames he's planning to build.

Others on my list happen to be Peter Weigle & Llewellyn.

cmbicycles
01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
You can get a custom Spectrum steel frame/fork for about $3k... you are near enough to get fit by Tom in person as well.

SPOKE
01-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Dave Kirk....the ordering process and communication was perfect. The finished product blew away my expectations and was a perfect embodiment of what I was looking for - with due regard to his decades of experience of what works and what is less optimal.

I've been blessed to own several custom bikes and they all fell short in one way or the other...but not my Kirk. If it were me, I'd save a bit longer realizing that the higher up-front cost will be money well-spent.

+1....you'll never go wrong working with Dave.

bob heinatz
01-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Spectrum would be my first choice. Tom knows how to design and Jeff is the master builder. You won’t be disappointed. Easy to work with.

joosttx
01-04-2018, 12:39 PM
I sent a deposit to 44 just before Christmas. So that’s my answer, 44. I am not sure if I want a
27+ or a 29er though.

Regarding dream bike vs actual bike. It is all about philosophy. I would prefer to have 2 awesome compared to 5 sort of awesome bikes.

OtayBW
01-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Thrive
Zukas
Zanc
Tomii
Fabrica
Rock Lobster
Speedvagen

Well, your list is not my list, so I'll answer for me. My first preference would be to have Dario P. make me a nice lugged frameset to size. But since he apparently isn't doing them anymore, I would go with either a Zank (tigged) or a Kirk (probably fillet) and that would be one tough choice! Another wildcard would be a Chris Bishop....

quickfeet
01-04-2018, 04:05 PM
I’ve never ridden Paul’s steel frames but I have had an alloy frame that he made for me that was amazing. When my funds get back up I’ll have him build me another!

zennmotion
01-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Spectrum would be my first choice. Tom knows how to design and Jeff is the master builder. You won’t be disappointed. Easy to work with.

+3 for a Spectrum in steel, no brainer. Strange that they didn't make the OP's original list. Especially with a smaller frame, fit is everything. Jeff Duser makes his own damn lugs for every frame. Have you looked carefully at his seat clusters? Or lug shorelines? Or talked to Tom about his fit session? Since 1983 or so...

KarlC
01-04-2018, 04:25 PM
.... While so many will say that anyone can build a bike that rides as well as a 'vagen, something about them always spoke to me (but they're at the higher echelon of what my wife might consider divorcing me for spending). Something about the hourglass seatstays and the ISP appeals to me in ways I can't quantify............

It's one of those things, right -- i want some features of the speedvagen, but would feel wrong asking someone like Mike to incorporate them into a frame if it weren't something he normally did.. I can't help but swoon over hour glass stays..

This all stemmed from my continued kicking myself for not grabbing the one you snagged -- the rust concerned me too much.

That said, if anyone's sitting on a 52.5 - 53.5 ETT vagen that'll take a 68.5cm saddle height, you know where to find me...

Nooch, now I almost feel bad for buying the SpeedVagen frame, YOU should have bought it :bike:!!!.

After seeing some close up photos, the surface rust and chipped paint was a non issue for me. All used bikes have paint issues, scratches, chips and worse. If not they will soon if you ride them at all. Its much ezer to touch up and blend a head tube than most any other part of the frame. For the price it sold for its a great way to try out the legendary SpeedVagen ride.

It also looks like the fit would have been spot on for YOU, based on what I'm used to its a bit small but man I'm not complaining.

It was that legendary SpeedVagen ride, the hourglass seatstays and the ISP, that got me also. Not to make you feel bad but all your thoughts where right, its a dream come true.

Mzilliox
01-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Tomii for all rounder
Zanc for Max
Rock Lobster for something racey.

jruhlen1980
01-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Carl Strong - known for ti, does steel too. Never ridden one, just lusted from afar on the internet for a long time. Never met anyone who doesn't love theirs.

Julie Ann Pedalino - local builder, been getting some national recognition here and there. I've seen a few of her rigs here and there on local rides -- pretty distinctive. http://theradavist.com/2017/11/2017-philly-bike-expo-pedalino-cnc-fillet-cross-bike-jarrod-bunk/#1

choke
01-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Out of your list....Zanc or Rock Lobster for me.

But since a Strada Bianca is in your budget that's where I'd look (and what I did buy when I decided to go custom).

cnighbor1
01-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Davidson ti oversize BB
http://davidsonbicycles.com/

993rs
01-04-2018, 05:06 PM
2018 and time for another Quiring. It's the wife's turn.

Bonesbrigade
01-04-2018, 05:07 PM
My take is that you work with a builder that jives with you from a build philosophy, genre of bike, aesthetic, and communication style. You also have to consider if you want the type of builder that will take your vision and run with it, or one that includes you in more of the small details.

I went through this process recently with Rob English. I’ve known for years that he would eventually build me a bike. I just needed to be ready.

Rob jived with me from a design perpective - functional and elegant. I was confident that if there was anything tricky to figure out in the process that he’d come up with a solution. In addition, we are both similar height and weight, both cat 1 racers, so sharing that performance aspect was a big deal to me as the bike was built to be raced. And to boot we are both born in England!

So, look for a builder that shares your vision and is someone you click with.

bigman
01-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Where is the Kelly Bedford love?

Frankwurst
01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
I'd love to have a bicycle built by Peter Weigle even if it was one of his Raleigh conversions but at my age by the time my number came up I'm afraid I wouldn't have enough years left to enjoy it before my number was up.;):beer:

Nooch
01-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Where is the Kelly Bedford love?

I've owned a bedford and it was great -- sold it back to the original owner (friend of mine) who repainted it in return for re-doing my bathroom. I'm sure I'll own it again some day down the line.

Spectrum, honestly, Just hadn't thought of them. Certainly appreciate the suggestions of other builders -- didn't realize Pedalino was local, also.

Shot a feeler email to Mike Z to see if he'd do some extra manipulation -- there might be a future there!

KarlC
01-04-2018, 06:39 PM

Latest one to catch my eye: Darren Crisp.

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/760/22380678370_b4d45770e8_b.jpg

Thats really nice !

weaponsgrade
01-04-2018, 06:50 PM
From your list it would come down to Rock Lobster or 44 for a gravel or mtn type bike and Tomii for a road bike. I've got a Rock Lobster, Paul is a solid dude, has years of experience, and is local. I've never talked to 44 or Tomii, but I like what 44 has to say about design and how tight and ready for work his builds look. With Tomii, I just like his aesthetic.

yashcha
01-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Sometimes I will spend hours scouring the web for builders who still make lugged frames. I currently look at pictures of Wintercycles and Della Santa frames quite a bit. With Wintercycles you can get a full custom frameset, with a custom stem with a killer paint job for around $3,300, just in your price range. Della Santa was around $2,100 for the frameset last time I checked in 2014.

I have also recently added Brian of Royal H Cycles to that list of a guy who can do tricked out Ti-Carbon lugged frames to traditional lugged steel frames.

bob heinatz
01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
That Crisp is hot. It looks fast just sitting there.

lawgrad12
01-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Pick the type of construction you want: TIG, fillet brazed, or lugged. Then pick a builder (e.g., fillet brazed - Icarus or Tomii, lugged - Bishop or DiNucci, etc.). Figure out your budget, and don't forget to budget for paint. Multiple colors, masking, etc. run the paint price up very quickly. Make sure that the builder you choose has a relationship with a painter you like.

FWIW - I love my Firefly and my wife loves her Bishop.

weaponsgrade
01-04-2018, 07:10 PM
I need to see some pics of this Firefly and Bishop. Those two are consistently at the top of my list if I could go no prisoners.

Tickdoc
01-04-2018, 07:25 PM
I need to see some pics of this Firefly and Bishop. Those two are consistently at the top of my list if I could go no prisoners.

I was just thinking thismthread needs more pics....let’s see some build candy!

Nooch
01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
So not for nothing... tell me more about your Zanks...

AngryScientist
01-05-2018, 09:29 AM
edited

ERK55
01-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Nothing further to add in terms of specific builders, but.....be aware that the lead times can vary substantially from one builder to the next. Sometimes estimated lead time is pretty accurate (eg No22) ; other times it's more vague. In my personal experience this has ranged from 3 months to four years. In the latter case, it was at least 4X longer than I had initially anticipated. I had practically forgotten about the frame.

This may have bearing on one's decision, that is whether you really need the frame soon or are willing to wait.

Tickdoc
01-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Buddy has a firefly on order now and paid more to get it quicker.

....I’m looking for the one that makes me pay less if I wait longer.

jinbok
01-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Now I own (your) Serotta Pronto & David Kirk's JKS.

Previously, Bishop, Speedvagen and Richard Sachs.

Speedvagen has to be my least favorite frameset (I'm sure Vanilla will ride awesome) and didn't last long with me.

ERK55
01-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Buddy has a firefly on order now and paid more to get it quicker.

....I’m looking for the one that makes me pay less if I wait longer.

LOL !

(hmmm...didn't know that was an option)

thegunner
01-05-2018, 05:21 PM
i didn't know that was an option either haha.

doesn't matter now, since my frame finished today, but... not sure i would've done it either way. not unless i wanted a specific FF#

pncguy
01-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Carl Strong - known for ti, does steel too. Never ridden one, just lusted from afar on the internet for a long time. Never met anyone who doesn't love theirs.

I'll second the Carl Strong recommendation. His prices are lower than they should be and his product is excellent. (I have a Ti from him.) It would be worth giving him a call.

oldguy00
01-05-2018, 05:53 PM
My vote would be a stainless lugged frame from Dave Anderson. Check out his pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/

Gorgeous work.

Kirk007
01-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Given your description of riding - snappy response, but you're a nervous descender - I'd make sure that I went with someone who really understood how to translate what you want and how you ride into a frame. From your list I'd say Zanc or Paul given their reputations. Expand your list and I would go to either Dave Kirk or Tom Kellogg. Both with years of race experience, design and build experience. Dave is Tall. Tom is short. One east and one west. Can't go wrong either way. I'm one of those who think fit really matters and the great builders speak that language. And these two did great work for me. Edit: Hampsten is another that I would add to your list. Steve is great to work with and you can't argue with the product - so many Hampsten's out there that just look so proper.

Really there's so many good choices. But given that $$ are a constraining factor I would be inclined to be conservative and go with tried and true builders that have been doing it awhile. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be to go the whole custom route and end up with a bike that you weren't thrilled about.

tv_vt
01-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Zanc has 5 20th anniversary Max frames available (will be built up custom). Think one is unspoken for. A little too much coin for me right now, but that would be my pick. That would be a stunner and a great ride.

DaveS
01-06-2018, 06:25 AM

+1 My steel Strong w/ stage race geometry is still my main ride and favorite bike after almost a decade!

fignon's barber
01-06-2018, 08:31 AM
These seem prety exotic, look well made at a reasonable price, the Japanese builder, Equilbrium:

http://equilibriumcycleworks.com/

oldpotatoe
01-06-2018, 09:13 AM
There really isn't any 'answer'...

fignon's barber
01-06-2018, 09:55 AM
There really isn't any 'answer'...

The best answers are to questions that seemingly have no answer.:beer:

Bob Ross
01-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Of the guys on OP's list, Zanc.

Of the guys not on OP's list, Carl Strong.

seedster2
01-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Legend
Stelbel
Bishop

sailorboy
01-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Latest one to catch my eye:

Darren Crisp.https://farm1.static.flickr.com/760/22380678370_b4d45770e8_b.jpg

That is beautiful, but I hope he considers this an 'homage' to Pegoretti. If I turned this in to my high school creative writing teacher I would've gotten nailed for plagiarism.

ERK55
01-06-2018, 04:54 PM
At one point Pegoretti did paint some Crisp frames for him.

Frankwurst
01-06-2018, 05:39 PM
:beer:The best answers are to questions that seemingly have no answer.:beer:

Now grasshopper understands master.:beer:

NHAero
01-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Phenomenal craftsman, high integrity, super nice guy. I really liked that he does his own painting, too. Love mine.
My vote would be a stainless lugged frame from Dave Anderson. Check out his pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andersonbikes/

Gorgeous work.

roguedog
01-07-2018, 11:31 AM
hey since i am in the same stratosphere height wise, i'd love to hear who this is and your thoughts on this. this is also one of my concerns when thinking about a custom builder or send me a pm please if you feel this is outta line in this thread.

Jeff N.
01-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Bedford.

sailorboy
01-08-2018, 03:57 PM
At one point Pegoretti did paint some Crisp frames for him.

this would make sense then...it does look like Dario painted that...and it's beautiful.