PDA

View Full Version : Looking for winter overshoes for commute

zoom2zoom
01-04-2018, 09:09 AM
I have been trying hard to keep my toes from getting cold during my below 20 degree 17mi. ea way commutes.

Currently i have Shimano goretex boots with heated soles. Boots feels great but doesn’t keep my toes warm

I recently got specialized defroster boots but they are just too stiff on the ankles to ride comfortably

I’m now looking for winter overshoe that can fit easily over my Shimano boots just to keep the toes warm. Any suggestions? I don’t need Aero, looking for ones i can put on/ remove easily.

Gummee
01-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Easiest one I own are the Gore Insulated overshoes.

HTH

M

BlueFly
01-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Easiest one I own are the Gore Insulated overshoes.

+1

They work better than other overshoes I have used. Went for a ride on January 1 with windchill ~5 degrees F. Even with wool socks on, my feet were cold after ~ 1 hour ride (18 miles). They are very easy on/off, with SPD type shoes - not boots, and the zipper works well.

YMMV.

zoom2zoom
01-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Is it these?

Gummee
01-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Mine are older, but yeah

M

NateM
01-04-2018, 02:54 PM
I also use an older version (velcro closure) of the Gore Thermal overshoe over uninsulated road/mt shoes
When it gets below 25 I have to use a toe warmer(Grabber,Hot Hands) placed on top of toes on wool sock.If you double bag them in ziplock you can get a 2nd use for the way home.My commute is 15 miles,about an hour and 10 when its really cold.

JDino
01-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Invest in some dedicated winter shoes...that was the best decision I made earlier in the fall. I have the Specialized Defroster's and they are very well made...big toe box for thicker socks, BOA enclosure, good reflective material on the uppers, wind and water proof, etc.

dealing with shoe covers was always a mixed experience because if they rip or if there's any little opening for wind to get through, your feet freeze

alternatively, you could try those heated battery powered shoe sole inserts...I think Hotronics are the best

giverdada
01-06-2018, 06:49 AM
i like the neoprene ones from ribble.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbb-waterflex-overshoes/#pid=4354

i know that the rear-facing zipper is not a great idea on an overshoe, but it's likely the best place to put it if you have to have a zipper, as the crap is coming in from all other sides anyway. i also found them to be very durable, until they weren't, which was about 2 full commuting seasons in toronto winter, then the velcro tab at the cuff pulled right out of the neoprene, dissolved from so much salt exposure. i like any of the BBB stuff at ribble, in terms of overshoes, as they are very functional, well-made, and very affordable, particularly for stuff you're going to beat the crap out of. you can opt for thicker/thinner neoprene, and i always liked the smooth-outer-side ones for water repelling. i also found fenders to be extremely helpful in helping to stay warm - they keep off a lot of the wet spray, and make you work harder overcoming their aerodynamic deficiencies!