View Full Version : Fries Illegal ?

Dekonick
09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Interesting...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_he_me/diet_trans_fat_ban

I hope they do it :D

pale scotsman
09-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Nothing wrong with fried food in moderation. It's that artificial trans fat crap we've been fed that's bad.

GoJavs
09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
They've been illegal on my diet for about two months now. I do miss them...sometimes....

manet
09-27-2006, 10:05 PM
hate to beat mr.ed's fat, but:

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

catulle
09-27-2006, 10:28 PM
The Surgeon General said that french-fries with lots of mayo are good for you, atmo. And a diet of french-fries with mayo and three scoops of ice-cream every other day will increase your life span by 34.7%. If you add to that diet three 2" thick rib-eyes a week, you can improve upon those numbers by 6.9%. If you don't believe me you can ask Dario Pegoretti. Oh, cheap Chianti and PBR to chase it down are a must.

Too Tall
09-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Yup, read that in the NYT yesterday nearly choked on my Krispy Kreme :rolleyes:

Here is a good quote from some yahoo at HaVAD:
"If New Yorkers replace all sources of artificial trans fat, by even the most conservative estimates, at least 500 deaths from heart disease would be prevented each year in New York City – more than the number of people killed annually in motor vehicle crashes. Based on long-term studies, the number of preventable deaths may be many times higher. Trans fat from partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is a toxic substance that does not belong in food."

Other than YIPPEE this is a good idea it is a warm thought that a city considers essential health as inseparable from mundane public safety and picking up the trash. Can I hear a hoorah?

catulle
09-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Yup, read that in the NYT yesterday nearly choked on my Krispy Kreme :rolleyes:

"If New Yorkers replace all sources of artificial trans fat, by even the most conservative estimates, at least 500 deaths from heart disease would be prevented each year in New York City – more than the number of people killed annually in motor vehicle crashes. Based on long-term studies, the number of preventable deaths may be many times higher. Trans fat from partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is a toxic substance that does not belong in food."

Other than YIPPEE this is a good idea it is a warm thought that a city considers essential health as inseparable from mundane public safety and picking up the trash. Can I hear a hoorah?

HOORAHHHHHH...........!!!!!!!!!

inGobwetrust
09-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Yes, and NYC should then make cycling, driving, piano moving, and window washing illegal because those are also dangerous activities. Why should we be responsible for ourselves when we've got big brother watching out for us?

zank
09-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Helps prevent cramps...

TimB
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
yeah, and the next thing you know the government will want to tap our phones to find out who is going to fire up their Fry Daddy that night...

I think NYC has a good idea...an artificial substance added to food has been proven harmful. Why oh why should they not be able to regulate or eliminate it? Because the food industry finds it convenient?

djg
09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
When they outlaw fries, only outlaws will ...

Graphics anyone?

manet
09-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Helps prevent cramps...

zankster _ savory! _ were dat from?

Too Tall
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
In protest I am opening casa TT to all comers this weekend for a festival of fat. The grill is scrubbed and K.Kreme will be served deep fried infact everything deep fried. You got powerbars...I'll deep fry em'. Jellybeans??? Yep...deep fried.

Speaking in Tongues optional....but appreciated.

F.Y.I. - Suburban Hospital not more than 5 mins.

67-59
09-28-2006, 10:26 AM
In protest I am opening casa TT to all comers this weekend for a festival of fat. F.Y.I. - Suburban Hospital not more than 5 mins.

Might not be close enough....

catulle
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
In protest I am opening casa TT to all comers this weekend for a festival of fat. The grill is scrubbed and K.Kreme will be served deep fried infact everything deep fried. You got powerbars...I'll deep fry em'. Jellybeans??? Yep...deep fried.

Speaking in Tongues optional....but appreciated.

F.Y.I. - Suburban Hospital not more than 5 mins.

No ice-cream, atmo...? :(

manet
09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
hey let's pee fat!

torquer
09-28-2006, 10:38 AM

From this website:

"What is Poutine?

Poutine is a French-Canadian dish made from a combination of French fries, chicken gravy, and curd cheddar cheese.
The cheese and the gravy are imported especially from Quebec to give our customers the most authentic and enjoyable experience."

Be prepared for extensive delays on Interstate 87 (the Northway) as checkpoints are established to interdict these killers.

TimB
09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey TT -

Maybe I'm just not enlightened...but the firist time I went out after work with the folks at my new job, they ordered deep-fried pickle slices. Yep. So, ya got any Vlassic in the 'fridge, and maybe some beer-batter?

Bill Bove
09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
My sister got a fry daddy for christmas a few years ago. Big fun frying up anything that was either edible or would fit in the thing. Some of our favorites, fried twinkies, fried mounds bars, fried apples. Not so good, fried powerbars.

Ahneida Ride
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
SO ... what is the big deal ?

We already have a private corporation controlling our US $$$$.

What is next ... Fed fries?

I stopped eating Lays chips. The new oil they cook em in makes em taste like #$%^.

All hail Big Brother. Big Brother know best. Next is coffee.

And remember it is all for your protection. You are not smart enough to think for yourself.

I want my greasy fries !!! Do I here an Amen ?

bcm119
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Kudos to NYC. Its about time someone stood up to the irresponsibility of the food industry.

bcm119
09-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I want my greasy fries !!! Do I here an Amen ?
There will still be plenty of greasy fries. They will just be fried in real oil instead of hydrogenated artery sludge. They will probably taste better.

Ahneida Ride
09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
There will still be plenty of greasy fries. They will just be fried in real oil instead of hydrogenated artery sludge. They will probably taste better.

I hope so ... I get decent fries once a year.

JohnS
09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Kudos to NYC. Its about time someone stood up to the irresponsibility of the food industry.
Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you eat them?

Serpico
09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
zankster _ savory! _ were dat from?http://www.hupunited.com/opening.html

bcm119
09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you eat them?
Uh oh here we go. Do you have some sort of blackberry alarm that goes off when someone makes a left-leaning comment on the internet? It never takes you more than 15 minutes.

JohnS
09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
No. Everyone always preaches being responsible for their own actions but then we always harp on "Big Industry". I'm more afraid of "Big Brother".

Fat Robert
09-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Big Brother used to make my life hayell...cept is was a big sister...she was the power forward...i was the undersized small forward...she threw the shot...i was a miler...she led her team in home runs...i couldn't hit my weight...Big Sister sucks

yeah

and you don't like french fries?

don't eat em

catulle
09-28-2006, 12:46 PM
No. Everyone always preaches being responsible for their own actions but then we always harp on "Big Industry". I'm more afraid of "Big Brother".

Er, both Big are the same, atmo. :butt:

JohnS
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Er, both Big are the same, atmo. :butt:
Yeah, you're right. They're both bad for you, just in different ways. Sorta like the Dems and Reps. :confused:

Serpico
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
cheer up, these are still available

http://www.noveltyshirts.net/freedomfries.gif

disclaimer: not to be confused with the 'liberty lettuce' re-naming for sauerkraut during WW1--this is, like, totally different

bcm119
09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Fair enough. To me this anti-hydrogenated oil regulation isn't Big Brother. Its an attempt to make food safer and save some $ on health care, and its not an oppressive regulation. There are other oils that do the exact same thing, with much lower health risk. The only price to be paid is slightly higher costs for fast food chains. I don't think you have to retreat to your bunker yet, John. ;)

Too Tall
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah yeah everybody is right....but I'm still in awe of Bill's sister...I mean GODDESS :) Ooo, you gotts props Billyboy.

Tim, I have Vlasics and Mr. Natchurl ...flied icekleme very niceey verly niceey...fleeting.

Casa TT home of the MI. Y'all fall down sometime hear?

Dekonick
09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
To saturate hydrogen bonds in a fatty acid on purpose is just insane. It is known that these artificial fats stick to arteries and cause disease - one may as well add nicotine to cigarette's...oh wait...that has already been done...

Personally, if I go to a resteraunt to eat, I would rather my food be natural. If you really want saturated fats, do what the Belgians do and fry your potatoes in horse lard - not man made crisco. I can assure you horse lard tastes much better! (especially with a beer and mayo) :beer:

All the legislation is doing is attempting to make resteraunts (not you at home...) cook in natural oils and not use known dangerous modified fats.

It is interesting (something I remember from organic chem many years ago) that you can make a fat melt at body temperature by saturating hydrogen bonds and making your custom mix (margerine anyone?) what happens is you end up with a fat that isn't quite solid at body temperature, but not liquid either. Imagine what that does to fat deposits in your arteries - it makes them weak and prone to shearing which results in clot formation. This, in turn, can result in a heart attack, stroke, DVT, and lots of other nasties. I applaud someone who is willing to take on the food industry to make eating out safer for all of us.(everybody has them - no escaping this one)

If the general public understood what man made saturated fats really do this country would be horrified.

Dek

Serotta PETE
09-28-2006, 06:44 PM
McDonald's in today's WSJ says that they are "still trying" to reduce the trans fats in the fries that they had committed to sometime in 05. WE CAN TRUST THEM>>>> have another super fry...and a BIG MAC> :D

catulle
09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
McDonald's adopts global strategy and transforms its local menus, atmo...

Serotta PETE
09-29-2006, 06:51 AM
McDonald's adopts global strategy and transforms its local menus, atmo...

You are a very very bad man as Mr. Flyhest says....

Too Tall
09-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Bad man you say? They live under the table like pet cats. A better life and how the heck WOULD you be able to tell next days weather? Takes guts to be a rodent pal. Mr. "so quick to label". :cool:

Anywho, yesterday I re-upped my CPR / AED cert. and our instructor kept reffering to "CrackDonald's" . Hilarious.

catulle
09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
You are a very very bad man as Mr. Flyhest says....

Who, me...? :eek:

zap
09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
snipped

"What is Poutine?

Poutine is a French-Canadian dish made from a combination of French fries, chicken gravy, and curd cheddar cheese.
The cheese and the gravy are imported especially from Quebec to give our customers the most authentic and enjoyable experience."

I first had this dish at prep school. Cooks were Quebecois so this became a weekly favorite.

Moveitfred
09-29-2006, 08:15 AM

TT, have you been to NYC? We need less, no more, humanity. Nothin' wrong with a little culling of the stock. Trans fat=Darwinism=survival of fittest.

Too Tall
09-29-2006, 08:51 AM
These guys got Marbled and see what happened?