PDA

View Full Version : Super Record Rear Derailleur Dissasembly?

2manybikes
01-03-2018, 07:50 PM
I have a 2013 SR rear derailleur that has had poor shifting since day one. Tried many times to fix it my self with no luck. About 2 years ago tried a local campy shop and they failed to find the problem. Finally got a good mechanic to get to the bottom of it. Looks like it is play in the fixing bolt to carbon housing. Campy confirmed that there should be no play there. Of course no longer under warranty and instead of throwing it away, I think I'll try to fix it. Looks like there are bushings (O-rings) that are supposed to take up the play. Is there a way to disassemble the bolt / spring / bushings? Campy told the bike mechanic that it had to be sent them. Of course.

Tickdoc
01-03-2018, 08:03 PM
You'll have to wait until peter is done celebrating and can sober up methinks.

ultraman6970
01-03-2018, 09:50 PM
Super record has allen all over the place, dont think will be a problem to take it appart by feel you know.

lhuerta
01-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Here is some REQUIRED reading:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138988&hilit=Super+record%2C+disassemble

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145180&hilit=Super+record%2C+pivot

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94308

There are several more threads on WeightWeenies (WW search engine is efficient). Also, pay close attention to posts from Graeme (who occasionally posts on this forum as well)

oldpotatoe
01-04-2018, 08:54 AM
I have a 2013 SR rear derailleur that has had poor shifting since day one. Tried many times to fix it my self with no luck. About 2 years ago tried a local campy shop and they failed to find the problem. Finally got a good mechanic to get to the bottom of it. Looks like it is play in the fixing bolt to carbon housing. Campy confirmed that there should be no play there. Of course no longer under warranty and instead of throwing it away, I think I'll try to fix it. Looks like there are bushings (O-rings) that are supposed to take up the play. Is there a way to disassemble the bolt / spring / bushings? Campy told the bike mechanic that it had to be sent them. Of course.

You'll have to wait until peter is done celebrating and can sober up methinks.

Tee hee..

Starting in 2012, Campag made the upper pivot assembly no longer a big bolt with a c clip keeper holding the whole mess together. It corresponded to the bolt becomeing aluminum and torx at the same time.. Campagnolo , NA has the tool to take the bolt out and press it back together. Yes, there are 2 rubber o rings but I doubt that will take up all the play..the inards of the body have wallowed out, making for some play.

SO, in a nut shell, not really repairable, plus Campag NA has to take it apart and put it back together..sorry.

2manybikes
01-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like to the parts bin it will go.

2manybikes
01-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Well, looks like it was not the play in the rear derailleur. New derailleur has similar play. Makes sense that the rubber O-rings with enough leverage have some movement.

The mechanic ran a cable with housing directly to the rear derailleur (still sucked) and then moved the derailleur to a different frame with shifter still on my bike. Shifted fine on the new frame. The theory now is my derailleur hanger (part of the titanium frame :( ) is out of campy spec. Angle on hanger stop is 40 degrees and spec is 25-35. Distance horizontal from drop out to hanger hole is 10mm. spec is 4-8mm.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work?

Derailleur alignment has been checked an is near zero difference around the rim. I checked with my Park Tool and Mechanic checked it with his.

Black Dog
01-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Well, looks like it was not the play in the rear derailleur. New derailleur has similar play. Makes sense that the rubber O-rings with enough leverage have some movement.

The mechanic ran a cable with housing directly to the rear derailleur (still sucked) and then moved the derailleur to a different frame with shifter still on my bike. Shifted fine on the new frame. The theory now is my derailleur hanger (part of the titanium frame :( ) is out of campy spec. Angle on hanger stop is 40 degrees and spec is 25-35. Distance horizontal from drop out to hanger hole is 10mm. spec is 4-8mm.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work?

Derailleur alignment has been checked an is near zero difference around the rim. I checked with my Park Tool and Mechanic checked it with his.

Wow, that is out of spec. These specs are more or less what all three makers use.