PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam/Apeldoorn in March

msngr
01-03-2018, 04:21 PM
The gf and I are going to Amsterdam then Apeldoorn in early March to spectate Track Worlds (we have some friends racing). What the Hell else do we do?

bikinchris
01-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Pancakes! There is a place to get them right down the road from the Anne Frank house. One of the best in the Netherlands. They sell both sweet and savory versions.
Find a market and get Poffertjes! Stroopwafels! You won't be able to stomach the **** they sell as stroopwafels on this side of the ocean compared to the fresh warm stuff they sell at day markets all over Netherlands.

Take the train to Nijmegen to the bicycle museum.

http://www.velorama.nl/

You are just a little bit too early for Keukenhof:

https://keukenhof.nl/en/

The art museums in Amsterdam are some of the best in the world. The Van Gough. (You will learn how the pronounce it correctly)

Take a train to Hoorn and see the home base of the East India Trading Company.

Go to Haarlem and visit the New Kerk (church) and see an organ Mozart played. They hold recitals several days a week. Go to a McDonalds in a building 400 years old.

As I think of more, I'll let you know.

shovelhd
01-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Oudenaarde is 2.5 hours away by car. Go see Belgium, the cycling capital of the world.

zzy
01-04-2018, 12:43 AM
Gouda isn't far by train or bike - the cheese market is really fun. And some of the aged smoked cheeses are the best I've ever had. Also try as much Indonesian food as you can - it's amazingly good there.

Mackers
01-04-2018, 06:31 AM
-

bmeryman
01-04-2018, 07:02 AM
I'll second making a trip out to Velorama. There's some really unique bikes there.

As for museums, Amsterdam is full of them, but my personal favorite is NEMO. It's a kids science museum that reminds me of exhibits I've seen at the Boston Museum of Science. Lots of interactive things. Oh! And there's the Kattenkabinet, a museum displaying artwork depicting cats. They've got several running around the building too. You'll find all the big important museums with a cursory search, so these are my two 'off-the-beaten-path' suggestions.

bikinchris
01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Gouda isn't far by train or bike - the cheese market is really fun. And some of the aged smoked cheeses are the best I've ever had. Also try as much Indonesian food as you can - it's amazingly good there.

Alkmaar has a cheese market also. At many of these markets you can buy wooden clogs. People do still use them when gardening.

marsh
01-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Is this Brean Msngr? Rent bikes and cruise the city for a day.
Van Gough/Rijksmuseum. Drop a line in the canal and fish out a bike:
https://i.imgur.com/Pfjpf6I.jpg

veggieburger
01-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Need a place to stay? Amazing Air Bnb in Amsterdam - Flores and Puck. Check it out.

Off the top of my head: Heineken museum/tour is fun, although often very busy. Canal tour by boat is surprisingly interesting (coming from someone who doesn't like guided tours). Anne Frank house, of course. Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum...ummm...what else...rent a bike and ride all day long.

Don't know much about A-doorn, but head slightly south and visit Arnhem, if you're into WW2 history. Have fun! Eat lots of kroketten and herring!

msngr
01-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks all! Definitely going to use some of your suggestions.

Mildly worried about things to do in Apeldoorn. We have a friend in Arnhem so likely to head that way for a day trip (local pro who happens to share bike fit with me 😁).

I also want to load up on some local racing kit. Gonna grab a Roompot jersey or hat. Likely a Wanty Groupe, too (yes, I know, Belgium). So I want to hit some shops.

@Marsh, yes! Trying to figure you out right now. 🤔

bikinchris
01-04-2018, 01:26 PM
If you have never been to Europe, know that their is very little violent crime. But there are pickpockets. Go through your wallet and take out only what you need for the trip. Leave everything else. Put what you have left in a pouch around your neck. You don't need lots of cash. ATMs are everywhere and you can take out Euros a little at a time as needed. Some credit cards charge no fees to buy in Euros. Call your card company to make sure they know when you are going and don't put a hold on your card. Check with your phone carrier for data and call plans to use. Otherwise, you could be harshly disappointed with a terrible phone bill.

Get some good chocolate. If you are going to Belgium, you NEED to go to Brugge. The train is easy to use in Europe. On time and cheap.

marsh
01-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Chicago > Monkey > Fred
- Been a while!

Thanks all! Definitely going to use some of your suggestions.

Mildly worried about things to do in Apeldoorn. We have a friend in Arnhem so likely to head that way for a day trip (local pro who happens to share bike fit with me 😁).

I also want to load up on some local racing kit. Gonna grab a Roompot jersey or hat. Likely a Wanty Groupe, too (yes, I know, Belgium). So I want to hit some shops.

@Marsh, yes! Trying to figure you out right now. 🤔

choke
01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Arnhem and Nijmegen...if you're a WWII buff those names stand out as the scene of Operation Market Garden (A Bridge Too Far).

OtayBW
01-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Coffee houses and hookers. There, I said it!

Hey - I worked for a Dutch company for years, so I was always in an out of Amsterdam. There is so much to do around Amsterdam (even beyond the Red Light), I have never gotten tired of it. It is a trip and the Dutch are great people wherever you go.

msngr
01-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Chicago > Monkey > Fred
- Been a while!

I knew it! Hey!!!!!

patfl1
01-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Local brewery, great beer. Worth a visit if you have time:
http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/new-beer-don/?lang=en

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikinchris
01-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Oh, yeah. EVERYBODY in Netherlands speaks english. A guy at the Marriott is from Philadelphia. He wants to learn Dutch, but they won't teach him. They want to practice their english.

scoobydrew
01-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Visited Amsterdam back in October. I agree with most of the suggestions already recommended including the popular museums (Rijks, Van Gogh, Anne Frank), either walking or riding through Vondelpark, Indonesian food, etc. Check out Oud-West for some good eats and swing by Foodhallen. It used to be a train depot but now fitted with food stands with different types of cuisine/food at each side of the building with a bar in the middle. Great drinks and brews available.

We took a train out to Utrecht and spent about half a day there. It's almost like a mini-Amsterdam with its canals but was significantly less crowded.