PDA

View Full Version : large OD ferrules? SunTour content.

oliver1850
01-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Put a NOS pair of SunTour brake levers on a MTB I'm working on. The barrel adjusters seem to be made for a larger than standard ferrule, somewhere in the 7 mm range. Standard brass ferrules are under 5.5, so the fit is way too loose. I can make something on the lathe, but wondered what the deal is.

2nd problem was with the roller cam brakes. They appear to be made for larger diameter bosses than standard cantis. These are NOS too and have a brass bushing in each arm. Was there a separate bushing to mount these on regular bosses?

jtbadge
01-03-2018, 04:08 PM
I recently bought a set of NOS SunTour XC Pro levers that came with the original cables. The cables, housing, and ferrules were all larger diameter than the current standard fare.

I used those cables as long as I had the levers, so unfortunately I have no advice on how to proceed.

bikinchris
01-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Put a NOS pair of SunTour brake levers on a MTB I'm working on. The barrel adjusters seem to be made for a larger than standard ferrule, somewhere in the 7 mm range. Standard brass ferrules are under 5.5, so the fit is way too loose. I can make something on the lathe, but wondered what the deal is.

2nd problem was with the roller cam brakes. They appear to be made for larger diameter bosses than standard cantis. These are NOS too and have a brass bushing in each arm. Was there a separate bushing to mount these on regular bosses?

There are adapters to use 5mm housing with those levers. They were slotted to fit over the ferrule after they were assembled.

sales guy
01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

The older mountain stuff used 6mm housing and ferrules. There are step down adaptor ferrules for 6 to 5mm. If you can't find some locally, let me know. I have a bunch.

oliver1850
01-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks all. Surprised I've never run into this before as I've been messing with SunTour MTBs since 1989. Shimano as well as SunTour? Will have to check my 1990 XT Stumpjumper, I'm sure it's all original.

Anyone know about the roller cam brakes?

sales guy
01-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Thanks all. Surprised I've never run into this before as I've been messing with SunTour MTBs since 1989. Shimano as well as SunTour? Will have to check my 1990 XT Stumpjumper, I'm sure it's all original.

Shimano too.

What would you like to know about them? If set up properly, they work really well. Just make sure the pads are scuffed up frequently. They glaze fast.

cachagua
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM

If the brakes are built like the XC-Pro cantilevers, then yes they have a separate bushing that goes over the boss... my memory is they are indeed like that but it's been a while since I looked closely at a pair.

Give me a second here and I'l post a photo of some cantis, and you'll be able to see what the bushing looks like. If you're prepared to turn some adjusters or ferrules, you could make yourself a pair easily.

cachagua
01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Here's the whole stack that goes onto the boss. The bushing you might be missing is at the far right. Also the larger washer, third from the left, is critical and often missing:

https://78.media.tumblr.com/95000c5f9504317b1f72f7ca3bc365aa/tumblr_p21maf3on41tg04h3o2_540.jpg

The trick with the bushing is it's got to be slightly -- like, thou -- longer than the brass one in the brake arm. It's got to get pinched between the back of the boss, and that washer I mentioned above, so that it stays still and the brake pivots on *it*, and not on the boss itself (as lesser, uh, I mean, other brakes do): https://78.media.tumblr.com/d5073f3d970964bd93a41531855ec699/tumblr_p21maf3on41tg04h3o1_1280.jpg

oliver1850
01-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the pics. That's very likely what I'm missing. Bought the brakes NOS in the box. Other hardware was there but perhaps bushings had been robbed.

Measured the bore of the adjusters, it's over 8 mm. Haven't found a source for a ferrule that size, so may be making those as well.

Tandem Rider
01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
I may have some of those ferrules in a box, I'll have to look, I may have tossed them in the move. I think I still have a 1" threaded 26" fork for rollercam brakes just in case.

Rollercams worked pretty well if you set them up correctly and didn't need a lot of mud clearance.

oliver1850
01-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Chris, is that a Tange fork? The guy that runs the vintage cannondale site is looking for one, needs 8.5" steerer I think. Did the roller cam forks just have bigger diameter posts or was something else different?

Tandem Rider
01-04-2018, 10:48 PM
It is from a Schwinn High Sierra, cro-mo, they didn't make anything themselves but I'm not sure who made it for them, could be a Tange. I will check when I get a chance.