PDA

View Full Version : Trip report - Riccione, Italy.

abqhudson
09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Trip report 9/10 – 9/17, 2006
Riccione, Italy
Hotel Belvedere – a Bike Hotel on the Adriatic Coast of Italy

http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/index.htm

This is an unabashed, unsolicited testimonial. The nicest, friendliest, best hotel my wife and I have ever visited. Small, clean rooms. Great pool, whirlpool and spa facilities. These folks have a passion for what they do that is truly rare and unique.

After reading an account on the Bike Forum (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=170661&page=2&highlight=Belvedere) about a visit to the Four Star Hotel Belvedere, my wife (non-cyclist) and I decided to give it a try. The beach and side trips for non-cyclists appealed to my wife and I liked the idea of riding in Italy. Riccione seemed like an ideal jumping-off point for a following week in Venice and Florence.

Marina, the owner of this 50 room bike hotel on the Adriatic, has assembled a fantastic staff (most seemed to be able to speak several languages) – ready to assist in any way possible. The "all-inclusive plan" included three meals a day and snacks for the bicycle rides. The food/wine and service were outstanding. One evening we were treated to a beach dinner party – on the beach – with entertainment by the hotel staff. A great evening.

Rental bikes were DeRosa. Mine was the Avant model which I liked.

The bike tour leaders were excellent biking professionals and you had a choice of three road rides each day. At 68 years old, I opted for the “panorama rides” of about 65 kms each day – climbs of 500 to 1000 meters over the course of the ride – about 3 ˝ hours each day. The longest ride I saw (I didn’t go and a couple of riders who did were retrieved by the hotel van for return to the hotel) was about 160kms, if I recall correctly, with about 2000 meters of climbing. There are hills and there is traffic to deal with on parts of the rides. Usually, the ride included a nice stop at a small cafe in a village along the route. One of our rides took us along bluffs overlooking the Adriatic with wonderful views.

Bikers were mostly from England, Ireland, Holland, Italy, and Germany. One couple from Holland had visited this hotel 2 times yearly for the past 25 years. We were the only Americans and we really liked the way we were treated.

Just a note: We will remember this vacation for our time in Riccione – not our time in Venice and Florence. Riccione seemed like jewel to us – maybe because we like small towns anyway. Small shops and the evening promenade with folks out and about – gelato to die for.

YMMV.

Jim

Louis
09-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a blast. I hope you did not take in more calories than you burned cycling...

Louis

Ray
09-28-2006, 06:39 AM
How close is the beach? This looks like the kind of place my wife and I could enjoy together someday, but quick access to the beach would be pretty key to her.

-Ray

abqhudson
09-28-2006, 08:11 AM
The beach is 1 block away.

Some of the rooms looked at the Adriatic, although we preferred our room on the front that looked at a couple of shops, the patio/pool area, Marinas house across the street, and street traffic.

Jim