PDA

View Full Version : Compass labels NDS?

marciero
01-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I've always mounted file-tread tires with inner-most chevrons pointing forward, viewed from the top. That way the pointy part of the chevron contacts the road first. There are reasons for doing this, though it does not really make a difference with smooth road tires. I am just noticing with my latest Compass tires that when I do that the label is on the NDS. These tires only have labels on one side. I checked and my existing wheels also seem to be labelled NDS. I never noticed that before. Did I miss the memo where either a) the cool kids are mounting with chevrons backward or b) the cool tire purveyors are labelling backward? Or maybe c) this is the way they do it in Japan??
I note that the next section of chevrons would now be forward facing. But still.

donevwil
01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
I've had different batches of both Grand Bois and Compass tires that had labels on opposite sides relative to the tread. I'd have also thought there would be some standard, at least per tire and/or manufacturer, but evidently not. Currently rolling a pair of well used Grand Bois Cypres in the tread orientation you mention with one label DS and one NBS.

Luwabra
01-02-2018, 12:14 PM
I just checked mine and the chevron is facing forward > and the blue labels are drive side. bon jon pass

drewellison
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Warning to all OCD-ers: Compass tires may be hazardous to your health.

tuscanyswe
01-02-2018, 12:27 PM
This thread made me realize i mounted my compass tires the wrong way. Mine is also non drive side if i make the effort to change them correctly but 38mm slicks with no perceivable change in ride no matter how i mount them i think i may prefer drive side for logos .)