PDA

View Full Version : Carbon outsole repair

abr5
01-02-2018, 10:42 AM
I have a pair of S-works 6 shoes with a small crack on the outsole right on the edge of the cleat. I actually noticed it because the corner on my keo cleat was broken off- I suspect the two are related... Specialized says the shoes are out of warranty and won't replace them. I've ridden with them on the trainer a few times since I discovered the crack without any problems. Though I have another pair on the way, I'd hate to throw away an expensive pair of shoes for something so small... anyone have suggestions on fixing this? Could I just sand it down, epoxy it, then sand it smooth? Or stick epoxy into the crack and sand it smooth?

Photos here (https://photos.app.goo.gl/MuhV2rb2SPZ0Sio32)

batman1425
01-02-2018, 10:59 AM
I have a pair of S-works 6 shoes with a small crack on the outsole right on the edge of the cleat. I actually noticed it because the corner on my keo cleat was broken off- I suspect the two are related... Specialized says the shoes are out of warranty and won't replace them. I've ridden with them on the trainer a few times since I discovered the crack without any problems issues. Though I have another pair on the way, I'd hate to throw away an expensive pair of shoes for something so small... anyone have suggestions on fixing this? Could I just sand it down, epoxy it, then sand it smooth? Or stick epoxy into the crack and sand it smooth?

Maybe consider sending them to a bike carbon repair shop? The trick will be repairing the damage with out altering the exterior dimensions to the point of disrupting the cleat-shoe interface or altering varus. Though I'm betting the cost of the repair will be close to the replacement cost. I think sanding and injecting something to glue it all back together is a reasonable idea, though you might want some additional carbon added to help stabilize things.

eippo1
01-02-2018, 11:06 AM
I'd agree with above that the cost to repair will be close to replacement cost. Why not try some epoxy repair as you suggest. It's on the outside, so will probably work once it's filled. Just make sure to take the cleat off every once in a while to make sure that it doesn't propagate down to the cleat hole.

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

charliedid
01-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Glue...strong stuff.

shovelhd
01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
I have a pair of S-works 6 shoes with a small crack on the outsole right on the edge of the cleat. I actually noticed it because the corner on my keo cleat was broken off- I suspect the two are related... Specialized says the shoes are out of warranty and won't replace them. I've ridden with them on the trainer a few times since I discovered the crack without any problems. Though I have another pair on the way, I'd hate to throw away an expensive pair of shoes for something so small... anyone have suggestions on fixing this? Could I just sand it down, epoxy it, then sand it smooth? Or stick epoxy into the crack and sand it smooth?

I'm on my third pair of S-Works shoes that have been replaced under warranty. They're supposed to be guaranteed for life. Are you trying to deal with Specialized directly or a dealer? I've always worked with my dealer who advocated for me. They made the replacement evaluation, contacted Specialized, got the RMA, ordered the replacement shoes, and shipped the old ones back, all at no cost to me.

abr5
01-02-2018, 12:58 PM
I'm on my third pair of S-Works shoes that have been replaced under warranty. They're supposed to be guaranteed for life. Are you trying to deal with Specialized directly or a dealer? I've always worked with my dealer who advocated for me. They made the replacement evaluation, contacted Specialized, got the RMA, ordered the replacement shoes, and shipped the old ones back, all at no cost to me.

I was dealing with Specialized directly but I'll try to get over to the dealer at some point this week to if they can do anything. Out of curiosity, what is causing all of the replacements for your shoes?

shovelhd
01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Definitely work with the dealer.

The first pair had stitches that rotted out.
The second pair had a BOA post break off.
The third pair had a threadsert loosen so that the cleat would not fully tighten.

They are great shoes. I haven't found anything that fits me better.