PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions-Winter/cold bibs

PNW
01-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Hey all!

I am looking up some full length bib tights for the cold weather so I can ride in the off season. With that performance sale going on I can pick up some Castelli stuff for a good price. I’m looking at their nano bib tights and Sorpasso. Does anyone have any experience with these? I won’t be riding in downpours but light rain is okay. I live in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) so usually high 30s-50s during this time of the year.

Cheers!

PNW
01-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Long sleeve and jacket recommendations too. I would look at the Rapha stuff which I love but it’s a bit $$ and these won’t see as much use.

kppolich
01-01-2018, 09:03 PM
https://www.twinsix.com/collections/mens-bottoms/products/black-thermal-bib-tights?variant=6672493571

have these, love em'

floxy1
01-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Rapha 3/4 bibs are, IMO, perfect for that climate. I combine them with Craft windproof boxers down to 20 degrees.

Gummee
01-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Nano stuff is great, but it isn't wind or water proof. It'll keep you dry longer than regular lycra, but it will get wet at some point. Fleecy on the inside, so warmer than 'normal' lycra

The big question in bib tights is chamois or no chamois? I always buy the 'no chamois' tights so I can wear them a few times before having to wash them. I'll rotate shorts, knickers, and fleeced knickers under the bib tights depending on the temps.

I have a few different weights of tights for different weather conditions. Lighter weight, heavier weight, and also windproof front. If you're riding outside all year, you need more than one...

HTH

M

Clean39T
01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Long sleeve and jacket recommendations too. I would look at the Rapha stuff which I love but it’s a bit $$ and these won’t see as much use.

BikeGallery up here in Portland has Giro 3/4 insulated bibs and a matching LS thermal jersey at a great price. I wore mine in 40deg weather Saturday and was perfectly cozy. Great chamois. I can hunt the links if you’re interested...

simplemind
01-02-2018, 09:59 AM
After doing a lot of research, I found that a lot of folks really like the ASSOS T.TIBURU_S7 shorts with a good knee or leg warmer. So far with my limited use, I have to agree. A lot of flexibility with regard to temperature conditions and the pad is the best I've used. Yes...pricey, but I figure in my climate, I won't be using these as much as my regular bibs, so they'll last me many seasons. YMMV!

dbnm
01-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Rapha 3/4 bibs are amazing. The Rapha Pro Team bib tights are equally amazing and work well when in the 40-50s.

I am using them both now here in NM where the temp is about the same.

ltwtsculler91
01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
After doing a lot of research, I found that a lot of folks really like the ASSOS T.TIBURU_S7 shorts with a good knee or leg warmer. So far with my limited use, I have to agree. A lot of flexibility with regard to temperature conditions and the pad is the best I've used. Yes...pricey, but I figure in my climate, I won't be using these as much as my regular bibs, so they'll last me many seasons. YMMV!

In terms of versatility, you really cannot beat the Assos Tiburu shorts + leg warmers or knee warmers. The Assos stuff is all DWR treated and in my experience works better than any of the Castelli stuff, both at keeping you warm when it wets out and resisting saturation on a damp day.

If you're set on just one piece, the Habu tights are fantastic for this sort of weather but don't have quite the versatility of the shorts + warmers option.

I have 2 pairs of Tiburu shorts and they are my go to between 40 and 60

berserk87
01-02-2018, 10:31 AM
What you will like depends on you. Folks react differently to cold and wet, so some of your search will be trial and error.

For the money, the Pearl Izumi AmFib bib tights are hard to beat. I don't know what version of their tights uses the AmFib fabric nowadays. I've got two pairs of these and I got them each for under $100. Pearl seems to have gone cheaper on the fleece lining, as my newer pair feels thinner than the older pair. I've worn these down to 0 F, with knee warmers under them and was fine.

I've got a pair of Rapha Deep Winter bib tights. They fit well and are comfortable, but not as heavy-duty as the P.I. stuff. The "Deep Winter" refers to winters in the UK, which don't get as harsh as they do here. I will wear them down to about 30 F or so. Below that and I go with the P.I. AmFibs. The downside of the Rapha stuff is cost. I got mine on sale, but they are still a lot of money.

The good news is that for your normal riding temperatures, there should be a lot of options that will work for you.

Mzilliox
01-02-2018, 10:36 AM
i use cafe du cycliste cold weather bibs with no pad and wear them over bibs. This gives me an extra layer and options. as far as tops, i usually wear 2 LS jerseys 9i like isadore) and take one off when i get warmed up. add in a windbreaker and you are good to go. LS jerseys get worn a lot by me, from summers end to summers begin.

Gummee
01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
I've always figured that if its cold enough to wear leg warmers, its cold enough to wear tights.

My $.02

M

Mzilliox
01-02-2018, 12:06 PM
I've always figured that if its cold enough to wear leg warmers, its cold enough to wear tights.

My $.02

M

agree with ya except something like late fall early spring when you know after 30 mins you are gonna need to shed a layer, due to day warming up or lots of hills to climb. at this point sometimes its nice to ave the knee warmers to start, then pull em to the jersey pocket

Andy sti
01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

My $.02

M

The difference is the fit. I much prefer shorts and leg warmers to tights - they just never fit me well. Plus I start wearing leg warmers around 65-60F. Wore thermal shorts with leg warmers yesterday and that's a great combo for me with temps down to 25F during the ride. My feet on the other hand...

Jdg68
01-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Another vote for the Pearl Izumi Amfib. They are very wind and water resistant and available with/without chamois if you want to wear kickers etc underneath.

moonhoo
01-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Another vote for Pearl Izumi Amfib. Approaching 50F you might find them to be a little too warm, however.

PNW
01-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Thank you!!