PDA

View Full Version : Edco and Campy 11s

RobJ
01-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Trying to repurpose a solid disc rear wheel for race only situations. Campy 2017 Record EPS shifters/derailleur. Hubs can't be upgraded to 11s. Shimano 10s hubs so thinking the Edco 11s cassette might be a solution. Since Shimano 11 = Campy 11 this should work if the spacing is in fact the same. Anyone have any experience?

sales guy
01-01-2018, 04:26 PM
I've done it on a buddies race bike. It works well. BUT since it's a one-piece dome style cassette, they are noisier than normally cassettes. But they are nice, light and work well.

I have one for sale in the classifieds if you want one. BNIB.

dddd
01-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Are you planning on leaving off the smallest cog? How else to get the 11s cassette on the 10s hub and still secure the lockring?

Is the "Shimano 10s hub" actually Shimano-made, or just Shimano-splined?

I can's say how an EPS setup would play with just 10 cogs if that is what you have in mind(?).

RobJ
01-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Are you planning on leaving off the smallest cog? How else to get the 11s cassette on the 10s hub and still secure the lockring?

I can's say how an EPS setup would play with just 10 cogs if that is what you have in mind(?).

No. The Edco is engineered to fit an 11 cog cassette on the space of a 10 speed free hub. So in theory the Edco 11s Shimano cassette should have the exact spacing of a standard Shimano 11, which also matches the Campy 11 spacing. I was more validating that Edco wasn’t doing anything funky with the spacing on Shimano.

sales guy
01-02-2018, 09:41 PM

The main part of the splined body is the size of a 10 speed. The last cog, it's angled towards the spokes. It's a pretty trick set up. Like I said, works well. Just a bit of noise given the design.

dddd
01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
I was really wondering where they found the extra width for the 11 cogs and spacers, because at least on a genuine Shimano 10s hub, it looks like just about every millimeter was already exploited towards optimal wheel dish with just about none left over adjacent to the spokes or the dropout/seatstay.

Then there are the 10s hubs like Mavic's, which were designed with more dish to accommodate both Shimano 10s and Campag 9/10/11s, and so which handle Shimano 11s no problem.

I can't see how angling the teeth would improve clearance at all, unless it were the 2nd-smallest cog and with tighter spacing to the smallest cog(?).

Does the Edco cassette come with a longer lockring threading or other special lockring feature?

I suppose they must be somehow splitting the difference at both ends though, which one has to applaud for making it work, especially on a Shimano 10s hub.
I bet that a lot of tinkerers have tried doing the same thing, taking all the clearances down to the minimum in order to use their 10s wheel.
Edco are clever with their dual Shimano/Campagnolo spline compatible freehub body as well.