PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 11 Front Shifter Cable Routing

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Have done a frustrating amount of research with no results. I cannot seem to find any videos or tutorials or write ups on proper routing for 11 speed front campy shifters. I don't think mine is set up correctly. If I get out of the saddle and move the bike side to side the bike "ghost shifts" into the little ring from the big ring. Everything else is adjusted properly and if there's any less tension than it won't go into the big ring which leaves me to think the cable isn't routed correctly in the shifter. Any help, preferably with photos would be appreciated.

kramnnim
01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
At the shifter, the cable can either go on the inside or the outside of the curve of the bars...depends on how you route it through that yellow plastic insert. Other than that, it's the same as Shimano...

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Sounds like you might need to wind the front mech H screw out a bit.

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Here's photos of how it's currently routed. You can just see the head of the cable on the second photo and the other photo shows you the hole on the bottom where I thought it would go but wouldn't "catch" anywhere

https://i.imgur.com/uTT0nzE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OfmOdtx.jpg

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:11 PM
How many clicks do you get from the front shifter when shifting?
Are they Campagnolo cables?

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 04:14 PM
How many clicks do you get from the front shifter when shifting?
Are they Campagnolo cables?

Yes campy cables. Takes 4-5 clicks

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Yes campy cables. Takes 4-5 clicks

How many clicks to get onto the big ring though?

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Also, are your shifters tightened securely to the handlebars? Perhaps when you're moving the bike side to side (presumably in the hoods) you're moving the shifters and the cable is losing tension (long shot I know!)

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Also, are your shifters tightened securely to the handlebars? Perhaps when you're moving the bike side to side (presumably in the hoods) you're moving the shifters and the cable is losing tension (long shot I know!)

4-5 to get to big ring. Hoods are plenty tight

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:27 PM

There's one problem; you should be on the big ring at the third click

macaroon
01-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Best thing to do would be press the thumb button so you can't press it no more, it will bottom out on the stop on the little ratchet ring next to the finger lever if you look.

Unfasten the cable from the front mech.

Remove shifter hood to expose the cable entry port underneath the shifter.

Push the cable a bit so it pops out of the shifter. Check the end to make sure it's nice and straight and not bent/chewed up; if it is then replace it.

If not, pull it back through into the shifter, nice and tight.

Set up the front mech following usual protocol as found on the park tools website.

Pull cable nice and tight and reattach to the front mech.

Now shift into the big ring.

Add tension to the cable so you can shift into the big ring on the third click.

The fourth click should be a trim on the big ring.

Adjust H limit screw so that you get a solid fourth click but no over shifting.

HTH

R3awak3n
01-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I don't think its your routing but its just not installed properly. I had it happen early this year and it was a combo of adjusting cable tension and limit screws.

Shift to the highest gear and then press the cable that runs down the DT, does the bike shift by pressing that cable? It shouldn't but it probably is. I had this happen and it was an easy fix.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2018, 05:47 PM

About 2-3mm front der cage above big ring. Outer cage aligned with chain when in big ring and smallest gear(highest gear)..When in small ring and biggest cog(lowest gear)..inner cage should touch chain, gently.

Pull cable TIGHT(thumb button down when you pull cable tight, then tighten cable fixing bolt)..then turn inner limit adjust counter clockwise moving cage a wee bit inward and tightening cable more.

shift to any cog in back...click, click, click, chain should go to big ring...shift to highest again and outer limit screw in to just TOUCH the inner stop..NOT tight, just touch it.

moobikes
01-01-2018, 06:35 PM
If the outer limit screw is just a bit too tight, the FD can ghost shift when you stand up to pedal. The final click at the FD as you shift onto to big ring has to be a "full" click. If the limit screw is a bit too close the shift ring in the shifter isn't fully set and can release, leading to a ghost shift you describe.

Best thing to do is to set up the front shifter all over. Set the limit screws close to where they should be and use a pair of pliers to pull the cable taut before clamping it.

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
I don't think its your routing but its just not installed properly. I had it happen early this year and it was a combo of adjusting cable tension and limit screws.

Shift to the highest gear and then press the cable that runs down the DT, does the bike shift by pressing that cable? It shouldn't but it probably is. I had this happen and it was an easy fix.

It does, did notice that and realize it is definitely not supposed to do that

oldpotatoe
01-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Also you may need to make sure wee bolts in front and rear of lever that hold guts tight, are tight. Rear easy to see, front gotta take brake lever blade off.

R3awak3n
01-01-2018, 07:28 PM

yeah it is definitely not suppose to do this. I don't 100% remember what I did but its the exactly same problem I had and its not anything with how cable is installed or if things are not tight properly, it is a setup issue 100%. I remember I redid the setup, I guarantee you, your first click right now is doing nothing and the first click needs to move the derailleur. Like someone said, you should be able to go to the big ring is 3 clicks and not 5. My suggestion is to redo the setup from scratch... take the cable out, turn the limit screws all the way out and start from scratch (do you have an FD cable stop screw or inline cable tension? that would help with getting this right).

R3awak3n
01-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I think I followed this last time to get it just right.

"I think the problem is just a lack of understanding of how to properly setup a FD from scratch. Some part of this very simple process is being overlooked or done improperly.

Always start with cage height an alignment - with the right side of the cage 1-2mm above the teeth of the big ring and parallel with the big ring. This requires moving the cage by hand without the cable attached.

Next, shift to the largest cog and little ring. Adjust the low limit screw so there is small amount of clearance between the left side of the cage and the chain.

Only after these steps are done should the shift cable be attached (as shown in picture #2). Be sure that the thumb button has been pushed down all the way before attaching the cable. After attaching the cable, increase cable tension until you get significant movement of the cage on the very first click of the finger lever. It only requires 3 clicks in total to shift the chain onto the big ring, but the fourth is required to gain clearance with the chain in the smallest cog. Shift to the smallest cog and verify clearance between the chain an right side of the cage.

When all of the above is done, there should be one click of the thumb button available to use as a trim to the left. The second click should drop the chain onto the little ring."

this is a good guide on how to setup the FD.

MrCannonCam
01-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Started from scratch as most said. Played around with the fd placement and the limit screws and it seems to have solved the issue!

R3awak3n
01-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Started from scratch as most said. Played around with the fd placement and the limit screws and it seems to have solved the issue!

nice!

gfk_velo
01-02-2018, 04:55 AM
For future guys with the same issue:

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/installation_and_setup_of_the_2015_mechanical_grou psets

Also under "Support", see the relevant years' Technical Manual (there are a series of filters on the LHS of the page to help you find the exact document that you need).

The best source of information is always the Campagnolo website or a trained Campagnolo ProShop, or your local market's Campagnolo Service Centre(s). The SCs have more experience than anyone and since most are also responsible for the ProShop technical training in their market, they have likely seen every possible mistake ...

It's probably worth saying ... regardless of groupset manufacturer ... the chain, crankset, cables and both shifters and derailleurs all need to be compatible if the system is going to work "to spec". In most cases that means all original parts - don't expect a third party chain to work dead right, don't expect 3rd party chairings of odd tooth numbers to work dead right.

No manufacturer designs this stuff "on the back of a fag packet" ... if it's assembled and set up according to the manufacturer's advice, it will generally work the way that the makers say it will. Very occasionally manufacturers make mistakes but they are pretty rare because the amount of testing that gets done, real world and in the lab, is legion ... that applies to Shimano and SRAM as much as to Campagnolo. If you can't get something to work, it's far more likely to be a set-up issue than it is a deficiency in design.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2018, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=gfk_velo;2287857]For future guys with the same issue:

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/installation_and_setup_of_the_2015_mechanical_grou psets

Good review, particularly like his gloves(kidding but geez, the stuff is brand new)...but a question. Altho I agree with the videos, why don't they ever include grease in their installation videos? Like, anywhere?