PDA

View Full Version : Picking parts for a new build is so much fun

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Until it’s not...then there is this “build paralysis” that takes over.

Will I like that handlebar as much as this one? Is carbon worth it? What bits can be used and be just fine?

I’ve got 99 problems and the bitch ain’t one.

I get stuck on stems and saddles. And colors.

Coming in this week.....wheels, crank, handlebars, stem.

Still needed.....saddle, pedals, tape, and then probably 10 other tidbits that I can’t think of at the moment.

I need to just chill and enjoy the process. It’s colder than a witches tit out so there’s no real rush to get it done.

https://i.imgur.com/eQKgUtX.jpg

Mzilliox
01-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Will I like that handlebar as much as this one? Is carbon worth it? What bits can be used and be just fine?

Still needed.....saddle, pedals, tape, and then probably 10 other tidbits that I can’t think of at the moment.

I need to just chill and enjoy the process. It’s colder than a witches tit out so there’s no real rush to get it done.

dude, i feel ya, im tripping out on wanting some colored hubs right now, but i have so many wheels, id rather trade. i guess if i were smart, id sell some wheels then buy some new ones. But im not that smart. so hows the build start?

mine starts with Chorus 11...

bmeryman
01-01-2018, 12:52 PM
I love the process! That's why I've got a spreadsheet document with both current and potential builds listed. Cost, weight, alternative component options. It's all in there!

But yeah, I admit that I've spent quite a lot of time worrying one way or another about whether I'll like one handlebar option over another despite the fact that I can't get a stem and seatpost to match as well as I'd like.

john903
01-01-2018, 12:58 PM
I just finished putting gears back on my Curtlo and it took a year to decide on everything (well I don't really like the bar tape.) I enjoy the ride of taking my time to gather the parts together if you change your mind and don't use some they are there for a future build. This great bike forum family is a great way to help figure out what parts work or don't work and of course looking at all the pictures gives one an idea what the build will look like. I certainly appreciate the wealth and depth of knowledge here and everyone's beautiful bikes.
Anyway have fun with your new build

BdaGhisallo
01-01-2018, 01:03 PM
It so much easier if you are very particular like me and hunt for and decide on the perfect bar and saddle for yourself. Then that choice is pretty easy and is carried over to all your builds.

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Last one took over a year of planning and purchasing. I obsessed over the groupset for six months before I lucked into a new unused super record rs group.

Well, the very last one was built from old parts that I just had laying around, so it doesn’t count, but the last grail took a while.

This one is going much much quicker because I already had a jump start on the group that I purchased just knowing I would need it.

I’m not gifted enough to spreadsheet the build or add up weights ( I’m a little numbers challenged)

I quite like the surprise at the end when it hits the scales.

White cables? Campy doesn’t make white cablesets, right? One more thing to obsess over.

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 01:09 PM
It so much easier if you are very particular like me and hunt for and decide on the perfect bar and saddle for yourself. Then that choice is pretty easy and is carried over to all your builds.

My rear has never been that particular, so I’m not sure if that is a blessing or a curse. This one is killing me on color choice. I can’t keep whilte clean but it would look so damn good.

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 01:21 PM
dude, i feel ya, im tripping out on wanting some colored hubs right now, but i have so many wheels, id rather trade. i guess if i were smart, id sell some wheels then buy some new ones. But im not that smart. so hows the build start?

mine starts with Chorus 11...

Yes, you should build some. (Does that help any:)?

OtayBW
01-01-2018, 02:51 PM

Well - it sounds like you've got it whooped with the wheels, crank, bars, stem coming in. For me, saddle and pedals were decided on long ago are now just a foregone conclusion. Colors? They seem to manifest themselves at the 'correct' time and are easily changed if needed, so that's not something that I think about too much. Good luck with the build, but sometimes the best decisions are ones that come to you organically. I wouldn't think about it too much....:cool:

Mzilliox
01-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Yes, you should build some. (Does that help any:)?

I know, i need to learn to build wheels

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 04:25 PM
I know, i need to learn to build wheels

I think we should organize a paceliners ride somewhere near boulder some summer where we all chip in to pay the spudster to hold a wheel building class.

I’d pay for that....both the privilege of the knowledge and wisdom from the man himself, and the opportunity to meet some of youse and ride together.

Bit of a thread drift but would be so much fun.

choke
01-01-2018, 06:23 PM
White cables? Campy doesn’t make white cablesets, right? One more thing to obsess over.Campy cablesets are available in black, white and red....so that choice is solved.

sales guy
01-01-2018, 06:31 PM
I like doing builds. Sadly too many buyers go off the deep end and things take a bit. We settle on something and then all of a sudden we have different tires, saddle, bar tape, rims, components. It leads to some interesting emails/calls.

huck*this
01-01-2018, 07:38 PM
So what parts in particular are you deciding between? Not that I would sway either way but sometimes it helps. Others helped me out when deciding on etap or SR.

Tickdoc
01-01-2018, 09:12 PM
So what parts in particular are you deciding between? Not that I would sway either way but sometimes it helps. Others helped me out when deciding on etap or SR.

Well, it’s down to brakes,cables, bartape, and saddle.

New mechanical super record for the group.

Ritchey and fizik for the cockpit.

Campy for the wheels.

Probably going to go all black but I’m trying to decide if I should throw some white in as well. I already have a new black cable set waiting in the wings.

Do I want to break with the group and try for some upgraded brakes like ee?

I may mock it up and see if that sways me any before I settle on those last bits.

So excited to have things arriving here in the next week....I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Duende
01-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Late to the party... what frame is this for??? Imo... all black looks best with solid color paint jobs. If it’s two tone or more.. then maybe consider working off the color accents.

My .02