PDA

View Full Version : Edge305 vs Forerunner305

CarbonCycles
09-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Any good reasons on why I'd want the older Edge versus the newer Forerunner? Anyone also know when the new Edge will be released?

TIA.

jharsha
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
The Edge 305 has been available for several months.

CarbonCycles
09-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I was under the impression that the Edge was undergoing another update/resdesign whereas the forerunner is the latest/newest release by Garmin. Was I mistaken?

jbrainin
09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I was under the impression that the Edge was undergoing another update/resdesign whereas the forerunner is the latest/newest release by Garmin. Was I mistaken?

You're not mistaken.

I just checked out the Garmin website. The forerunner 305 is a new model. It appears to be a wristwatch sized device geared to runners and triathletes. Its display is much smaller than that of the edge 305 thereby limiting the number of data fields that it can display at the same time. I've been using the Edge 305 since April and have been quite satisfied with it. It can display up to eight user-selected data fields at once, and you can scroll through two different screens that give you up to 16 different fields if you can actually find that many different bits of data that might be useful.

If I had to buy one of these devices today, I'd choose the Edge 305. If an immediate purchase was not necessary, I'd wait until late winter to see if Garmin releases a new bike specific model.

Jonathan

CarbonCycles
09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Jonathan, thanks for the info. I think I'll just wait then...the forerunner 305 shrank quite a bit from teh 205. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the Edge305 will change now.

znfdl
09-27-2006, 12:37 PM
I hope that Garmin can increase the battery life in the next version.

m_moses
09-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm also interested in hearing others comments on these two devices. I had been considering the Edge but recently talked with a friend you uses the older Forerunner. Based on his experiences I began to lean more towards the Forerunner.

With the Forerunner, I like the idea of being able to use it regardless of which bike I ride and using it for running or hiking as well. However, I also realize that having the unit on your wrist, the information is not going to be as easy to see versus having a device (like the Edge) mounted on your stem or bar.

orbea65
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm also interested in hearing others comments on these two devices. I had been considering the Edge but recently talked with a friend you uses the older Forerunner. Based on his experiences I began to lean more towards the Forerunner.

With the Forerunner, I like the idea of being able to use it regardless of which bike I ride and using it for running or hiking as well. However, I also realize that having the unit on your wrist, the information is not going to be as easy to see versus having a device (like the Edge) mounted on your stem or bar.

I can't speak about the 305 models in terms of performance, but I did have a forerunner 301, and it was terrible. It often could not lock onto the GPS reading, and the heart rate monitor -never- worked properly. Garmin did send me a replacement chest strap, and it never once worked either. Maybe the new models are better.
In theory, the Edge 305 seems to be perfect, but it seems a bit on the large size for a bike computer, which I'm sure keeps a lot of people from buying it.

BoulderGeek
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I can't speak about the 305 models in terms of performance, but I did have a forerunner 301, and it was terrible. It often could not lock onto the GPS reading, and the heart rate monitor -never- worked properly. Garmin did send me a replacement chest strap, and it never once worked either. Maybe the new models are better.
In theory, the Edge 305 seems to be perfect, but it seems a bit on the large size for a bike computer, which I'm sure keeps a lot of people from buying it.

I don't want to sound uncool or be counterpointing. But, my experience with the Foreunner 301 wasn't as bad.

I was given one about 4 months ago. New old stock Ebay thing a friend did for me, when I decided to do my first triathlon.

My packet came in the original box, but without any software. SO, I had to download that all from Garmin's site, plus a new EPROM flash. Credit to Garmin that they have all of that available, for an 'obsolete' product. So far so good.

I prefer to use my Polar HRM for heart rate and stopwatch on the bike or running. But, the 301 has not been problematic for me with regards to HRM functions or reception. It does take a good long while to triangulate and get a sense of itself on boot up. Really long. I'm usually off and running before it knows where it is.

The 301 was really great for me in my last tri, because I could make custom data fields for the large display. And, since it doesn't need radio from a fork-mounted pickup like a wireless cyclocomputer does, it worked way out on the tip of my aero clip-ons, unlike my Cateye computer.

I think that the Forerunner 301 is really bulky, and it looks like the 305 compensates for some of that. For cycling alone, I'd go with the Edge mounted ont eh stem center. For multisport, I thought my Forerunner did what I needed it to. But, I have also heard more negatives on it than positives, as well. Just saying, myexperience hasn't been bad. YMMV.

spiderlake
09-27-2006, 05:17 PM
You can do all of the things you mention with the Edge 305. It easily switches from bike to bike and I also use it for hiking and cross-country skiing. The newer SiRFstar receiver is awesome in area with dense tree cover and blows away the older models in terms of signal strength and not dropping out.

When hiking or skiing I just put the device in my pocket and let it collect data. I suppose if it was something I wanted to monitor constantly that it could be problematic but I also wonder how useful I would find a forerunner in those circumstances?!?! If I needed it to monitor activity or as a navigational aid it would be useful but I'm more of a post-activity analysis kind of guy.

Speaking of navigation - I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Edge works fairly well for geocaching. It won't provide detailed data like the GPS mapping units but it will give you compass and distance capabilities.

Finally, the forerunner 305 isn't all that new, right?? Didn't it start shipping in the spring?!?

onekgguy
09-27-2006, 05:54 PM

I don't find that it's too big at all, especially when you consider the number of data fields you can display on a single screen. The only drawback I've experienced with it is on longer rides where the battery gets very low after ten hours. There are work-arounds for this but it's my hope that Garmin will improve on this before too long.

I absolutely recommend the Edge 305. I think it's a great cyclocomputer!

Kevin

BoulderGeek
09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
You have rides that exceed ten hours???

Oh, man, I am a fattie... :-(

m_moses
09-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Good points and thanks for the input. I presumed the Edge needed some type of bracket to mount on the bike . . . maybe they're not expensive?

I'm not sure how long the Forerunner 305 has been available. Less than a month ago I was at REI and was looking at one on display. The sales guy said they had just gotten them. i wonder if the new Forerunner has the same receiver as the Edge?

TriJim
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I absolutely recommend the Edge 305. I think it's a great cyclocomputer!

Me too...

I removed my FlightDeck after updating to the Edge 305. The GPS works well. The mapping is awesome -- whether you are lost in the boonies or just want to review the ride route on your computer.

As far as Edge vs. Forerunner -- they are different tools for different purposes. The Edge is too big for running and the Forerunner does not include cadence and wheel sensor functions. Good luck.

CarbonCycles
09-27-2006, 11:28 PM
The one thing that I liked about the forerunner is that it uses a docking cradle, and I don't believe the edge does. I guess one of my shortcomings is that I'm a techno geek that likes to have the latest and greatest, and at the moment, the forerunner is the latest...not sure on the greatest yet.

CarbonCycles
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Me too...

I removed my FlightDeck after updating to the Edge 305. The GPS works well. The mapping is awesome -- whether you are lost in the boonies or just want to review the ride route on your computer.

As far as Edge vs. Forerunner -- they are different tools for different purposes. The Edge is too big for running and the Forerunner does not include cadence and wheel sensor functions. Good luck.

The forerunner can have speed and cadence added onto it as well based off the garmin site.

TriJim
09-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the update. It looks like the Forerunner 305 is able to use the same cadence sensor as the Edge 305.

One other comment, if you decide to purchase a Garmin, consider the free SportTracks software. (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/) I think it has better maps (free) than the Garmin maps that you buy separately.

znfdl
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
The only drawback I've experienced with it is on longer rides where the battery gets very low after ten hours. There are work-arounds for this but it's my hope that Garmin will improve on this before too long.

Kevin:

What workaround do you have for rides lasting longer than 10 hours?

Zin.

onekgguy
09-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Kevin:

What workaround do you have for rides lasting longer than 10 hours?

Zin.

Zin,

There are a few different options and they all involve a spare battery which the Edge plugs in to. I ordered this one (http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0347) from USB Geek (http://www.usbgeek.com/index.php). Go to the Motion Based forum (http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php) and you'll see a couple different threads about battery backups with some pros and cons of each. It's my hope that Garmin will address this issue in the future and make something a bit more compatible for the Edge as an add-on item.

Somebody in an earlier post in this thread mentioned the size of the Edge being a drawback to them. I believe that most of the size has to do with the battery inside the unit. I don't particularly have a problem with the size as it is but I'd rather not see them make it any bigger with a larger battery...just something which can be mounted underneath for those times when you want to go long would be fine.

Kevin

billrick
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
You can also see the MotionBased blog for details on the battery booster:

Battery Booster Work Around (http://blog.motionbased.com/gear/index.html)

I have the Forerunner 301 and love it, love it, love it. If you need a less expensive version to hold you over until the 306 versions come out, this is not a bad way to go.

EDIT: Thanks to TriJim for the referral to SportTracks from last year. This is a great shareware program and I find it much easier to use than the Garmin or MotionBased software. I've logged about nine months of riding and it is a great tool.

:)

znfdl
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Kevin and Bill, thanks for the workaround. This might be on my holiday list.

Marc Busala
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
FWIW: The Edge 305 uses a barometric altimeter while the forerunners uses GPS data for altitude. The altimeter is supposedly more accurate.

CarbonCycles
09-28-2006, 01:26 PM
FWIW: The Edge 305 uses a barometric altimeter while the forerunners uses GPS data for altitude. The altimeter is supposedly more accurate.

How is that possible? Any swing in baro. pressure will cause incorrect readings. The Polar 720i that I own used to do that all the time when fronts would come through...annoying if you weren't prepared for it. I would think the GPS data gathered using satellites would be more constant and pretty accurate versus the baro thing?

onekgguy
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM

That's not totally correct. The Edge uses both barometric altimeter data as well as GPS derived data...the best of both worlds.

Kevin

wdlewis
09-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I chose the Edge 305 due to its display size and I didn't want to crash & burn while trying to read how ast I was going before the crash.

The unit's GPS functions are good except when there is limited sky view. I ride mostly on a tree shaded trail and the indicated speed is really flaky. In clear areas, the speed is dead solid.

The cadence sensor is positionally sensitive, but works well once positioned correctly.

The heart rate sensor has been flawless.

The upload to my PC works well, but the software has limited analysis and I have been unable to copy the data to a spreadsheet.

There are real nuggets hidden away in the manual. For example, my cadence display stopped working. Turns out there is a way to reset the scan for cadence and heart rate hidden away in the manual.

My riding buddy has the older wrist model and he's always asking me how fast we are going. His unit looks a bit geeky and my Edge 305 tucks away on the stem very nicely.

I use a GPS when hunting in Idaho. All the hills look alike after a while and the car can be hard to find. I would NOT want to rely on the Edge unit for that purpose.

gt6267a
02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
curious about the forerunner 305, i searched and found this thread. it looks like there was not a lot of exerpeince witht he forerunner as it was newish on the market at the time.

anyone have a forerunner 305, how is it? comparisons to the edge 305 and/or polar products are very welcome. also, i will be using it off road so thoughts on experience in the trees is very welcome.