PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions for camp stove and fridge

weaponsgrade
12-30-2017, 12:53 AM
I've done some backpacking in the past and want to start taking my kids camping (car camping). What do people recommend for car camping type stoves? I'm looking for dual-burner and white gas. I'm thinking white gas because it's cheaper than those disposable propane cylinders and I already have an MSR white gas stove that I can also use. I'd like something sturdy enough to support say at least a 10" cast iron pan. The only stove coming up in my search are those Colman ones. But some of the reviews don't seem so great. Apparently the second burner feeds off the first and can't really develop enough heat (among other durability issues).

Also, I just read a review of the Dometic cfx portable fridge on Redkite (http://redkiteprayer.com/2017/12/keeping-cool-the-dometic-cfx-35w/). It's not cheap and the wifi sounds gimmicky, but I like everything else. Anybody have any experience with it?

csm
12-30-2017, 06:13 AM
I've had no issues with my Coleman. While the second burner does feed off the first, I've not had a problem with that. I use that side for something that needs better heat control.
They seem to last forever and are relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CNY rider
12-30-2017, 06:49 AM
Definitely the 2 burner Coleman eh.
And get a good cooler, freeze the foods that can be frozen, add some long lasting synthetic foam chiller packs, and you're good to go with cold food for several days.

lookout2015
12-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Coleman is kinda the basic standard. It’s the Specialized Allez of car camping stoves. Most of the stoves you’ll see in REI or similar stores are either this or a copy of this (Eureka, Camp Chef, etc, all make one)

Partner Steel is the Kirk (or other boutique steel / Ti). http://partnersteel.com/

Jetboil Genesis might be a Zank aluminum

White gas limits your options quite a bit... I suspect Partner would do a white gas but don’t know that - I’ve only used propane models of theirs. For car camping for a family staying in one place a few days, a dual or three burner attached to a 20 lb propane tank is nice, I think. White gas outperforms propane at extreme cold (may or may not apply to you - here in the southeast propane is fine), and is more efficient (which matters more for backpacking than car camping)

BobbyJones
12-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Some food (no pun intended) for thought:

I think the only white gas family sized 2 burner you'll find in the States is a Coleman. Most people find propane easy and cleaner to use. If you go propane, you have a choice of refillable container sizes in between the 1 lb disposables and the 20 lb BBQ- they're just not on the shelves at your local Walmart.

The jump up to a Dometic or the like is huge for a couple of weekend trips a year, but if you have the $$ go for it. Then again, with people buying $400 Yeti ice chests, it may not be such a reach.

Mine of choice is an ARB, but i'm not always sure the balance of cost vs. use was worth it for me. There are a lot of good options out there, not just one reviewed on a cycling website. Do a search for "Backcountry Refrigerators" or something like that.

Whatever you decide- have fun getting out there!

AngryScientist
12-30-2017, 08:24 AM
IMO

if car camping is what you're doing, and you're going to do it somewhat regularly, get a colaman dual burner stove and convert it with widely available regulator to use a regular grill sized propane cylinder. refill them/swap them practically anywhere, and they'll last forever with the coleman stove. the flame quality and heat consistency will be tons better with propane over white gas and you'll cook your morning pancakes and bacon quicker and more consistently.

agree on the fridge - seems like unnecessary expense and complication. a good cooler packed smartly will almost certainly be a better choice i would think in all but a few cases.

https://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/2412260?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

gdw
12-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Buy an older Coleman Model 413 or 425. They are built better than the new versions and turn up regularly at yard sales, on Craigslist, and thrift stores. It's pretty easy to find one in excellent condition for less than $25. Replacement parts are easy to find and there are a number of websites with detailed instructions on how to work on them. The 413 series stoves are larger and will handle 10" pots. Coleman made or makes a folding stand for their stoves that is very nice and worth buying if you see one.

This link might be helpful if you decide to go the used route:
http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/coleusstovemid50present.html

I'm not a fan of propane stoves. They do cook well, when they work, but unfortunately I've been on several trips where "full" canisters turned out to be empty or on their last legs. With white gas stoves you know exactly how much fuel you have and the standard Colemans will work with unleaded gas if needed.

mhespenheide
12-30-2017, 11:31 AM
I've never needed a full-on fridge when camping, and I camp a lot.

Get a "marine-grade" cooler and use either block ice, or -- if you have space in your home freezer -- freeze water in liter, 2-liter, half-gallon, or gallon plastic bottles. (Fill each about 80% or so of liquid water, since water expands as it freezes.) Solid blocks of ice hold up better than cubes, and with the water in bottles, it won't get all over things when it melts. Or buy a "dry bag" to put the block ice into. I've gone 8-10 days in relatively warm conditions this way, or 3-4 days in hot weather. (Assuming you're not leaving the cooler inside a car in the sun.)

sooshi
12-30-2017, 11:35 AM
I agree with the propane suggestions. I recently did a Sprinter buildout and we decided to go with the Camp Chef 2 burner Propane option. The canisters are very inexpensive and seem to last forever. We also didn't want the white gas containers bouncing around in the van or the leftover in the stove tank potentially spilling out.

After much research, I went with the Engel 12v fridge/freezer. It's not the cheapest option but it's been absolutely bombproof and holds the temperature perfectly. They tend to have sales from time to time which brought the price down considerably.

https://www.engelcoolers.com/mr040f-u1.html