PDA

View Full Version : ski helmet for wnter riding

PaMtbRider
12-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Anybody using a ski helmet for winter road riding? Any recommendations or suggestions on what to look for?

brendonk
12-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Wow, what a timely question. After reading through the “what did you wear on your winter ride today?” thread during my lunch break I went back out and started brainstorming for my New Year’s Day ride while riding up a chairlift. The thought of wearing my snowboard helmet never crossed my mind. I’ve been using a Giro ski/snowboard helmet for three years. I sized it the same as my bike helmets and it was spot on. There is a sizing dial on the back that snugs it up right where you want it. The padding covers the entire inside of the helmet but isn’t cumbersome at all. I think it is more for warmth. The two best features are cooling vents that can be easily opened and closed and detachable ear flaps that have soft fleece type of material to keep the ears warm and the wind out.
As you heat up you can quickly and easily adjust the helmet to increase air flow.
There are several models, mine was less than $100 and it’s been well worth it.

old fat man
12-29-2017, 09:14 PM
I've got a bright orange Lazer ski helmet that I won in a raffle that I'd be happy to sell for pennies for winter riding or skiing. Size medium.

I sometimes wear a giro 9 ski helmet myself

Bradford
12-29-2017, 10:43 PM
I've thought about it many times, especially when commuting in the 20s. I've always thought I'd go all the way and wear ski goggles also since I have more trouble with my eyes freezing than my head getting cold.

In end I've never done it because a typical Denver winter day is 25 on the way in before the sun comes up and 45 on the way home and I never wanted to do 22 miles at 45 degrees in a ski helmet and goggles. However, if I were just doing a morning ride, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I only have Giro ski helmets with vents and would suggest a helmet with vents you can open and close.

JAGI410
12-29-2017, 10:55 PM
I have a Giro 9 snowboard helmet that I love, but usually only for the -20 to +20 range.

smontanaro
12-30-2017, 05:45 AM
I'm missing something. I commuted for a few years through Chicago winters (about 14 miles each way), and before that, pretty late into the fall (early December). The only thing I ever needed for my noggin was a decent balaclava and a bit of tape over the very frontmost holes in the helmet. Some seasons not even the tape. I commuted in temps down to about 5F, and have so little hair left that it didn't help keep me warm. If you're really worried about air infiltration, get a helmet cover. You can take it off if you get too warm.

Point is not that I'm tough or anything, but I think people might be overthinking things a bit. I think the key is that you ease into things as the weather cools in the fall, and slowly add bits to your kit. When the set of available bits ran out, I'd stop for that season, get the missing bits and ride later the next season, eventually just riding year 'round. Bar Mitts and neoprene booties were major acquisitions which really changed things for me. During the fall I would sometimes make a mistake and be too cold or too warm one day, but then adjust on the next ride.

It's certainly not an exact science, but I question the need for a ski helmet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Peter P.
12-30-2017, 05:59 AM
Point is not that I'm tough or anything, but I think people might be overthinking things a bit. ...
It's certainly not an exact science, but I question the need for a ski helmet.

I'm inclined to agree. I first tried taping just the front vents on my helmet. That worked, but I had to clean the adhesive off the helmet in the spring. Time consuming.

I simple helmet cover solved those problems.

smontanaro
12-30-2017, 06:10 AM
I simple helmet cover solved those problems.

Point taken about the tape residue. I'm a CSOB, and had a problem which needed immediate attention (this was before Amazon Prime same day delivery, for you spoiled young 'uns). Tape was available. Cover would have taken several days to arrive...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CNY rider
12-30-2017, 06:42 AM
I have a Kask helmet with an integrated face shield that I love, love, love.
It can only be worn under about 45F for cycling, or else it gets too hot.
It's incredibly versatile. I commute in it during winter, downhill ski in it, and later today I will be playing ice hockey in it.
The shield is great because it protects your eyes without compromising peripheral vision like goggles do.

They are hard to find but you want something like this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415246028113664255/

commonguy001
12-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Nice thing about a winter helmet or ski/board helmet is they're made to work with goggles and have great ear coverage. Mine has vents you can open and is my go to on really cold days for commuting. Even with vents open I overheat much quicker with a winter helmet so I'll grab a regular helmet and wear a smartwool under it if there is any chance it will be warming up.

tigoat
12-30-2017, 07:25 AM
I have been using a time trial helmet for my winter rides. I previously used a Giro Attack Shield but this year I got a Giro Aerohead which has a much better wind protection. I have ridden only down into the 20s so I am not sure how well it work going colder.

http://www.giro.com/us_en/aerohead/

Hobine
12-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Giro does makes the Timberwolf winter cycling helmet. Honestly, I believe it’s exactly the same as the ski helmets they make. Thing I like about it vs the balaclava is you can regulate the airflow.

PaMtbRider
12-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Giro does makes the Timberwolf winter cycling helmet. Honestly, I believe it’s exactly the same as the ski helmets they make. Thing I like about it vs the balaclava is you can regulate the airflow.

This is what I was looking at. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Giro nine ski helmet. Campmor has the Giro nine on closeout for $50

happycampyer
12-30-2017, 09:54 AM
This is what I was looking at. As far as I can tell it is the exact same as the Giro nine ski helmet. Campmor has the Giro nine on closeout for $50
I'm pretty sure it's the same helmet as the Nine. The only difference between may be the available colors in each model, if that. I got a Timberwolf last year, and its been great for temps below 25° or so. Above that temperature, a regular helmet and balaclava work fine for me. The color I got was "blaze orange." I like that it's higher viz.

Edit: looking at the colors on Giro's website, it looks like the colors switched from last year. The orange is now available for the Nine, and not the Timberwolf. The bright green looks nice too.

Gummee
12-30-2017, 10:00 AM
As an alternative to ski helmets, why not a Lazer with the cover? Or if you get it on sale, the Lazer with the permanent built-in cover. (Z1 Fast in my case)

Have one of each. Best thing ever. Enough wind flow to keep you cooled off, but all the vents in the front are blocked so no wind. All I need is an ear band under one of em and I'm good to go

M