PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for R8020 vs Other Options

pakora
12-29-2017, 12:43 PM
I just bought a new frame I though I could build up right away, but I didn't realize the new Ultegra disc group was in production and coming anywhere between next week and the spring.

I assume it's more like the spring since there are many OEMs and other preorders that would be waiting for stock already.

On the other hand, all of the rest of the R8000 bits are available and Dura Ace 9120 is available. I was thinking of going for those for the shifters/brakes and then R8000 for the rest.

$500 more though. Stab's my mid-budget build right in the heart.

But don't have to get a SRAM group or piece together something from previous generations or wait.

I'm sure many folks have faced similar dilemmas for custom bikes as well - what did you do?

zank
12-29-2017, 12:53 PM
If you have another bike to ride, I would hang tight. But I feel your pain. I had to buy a set of R9120 levers from a German mail order place to get a bike done for a customer. I really think the wait is worth it. FWIW, I think R8020 levers are in stock at Bike24 (same place I got the R9120 levers), but you'll need to order two hose kits too.

Edit: I take that back. The R8020 pair is actually the kit that includes the hoses, not the two individual levers like the R9120 pair I got.

Gummee
12-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Why not mechanical discs and some compressionless housing for the time being?

By the time the new-new stuff is available, you'll probably want to change cables anyways

Added bonus if you recycle (get it?!) your old shifters in the meantime

M

Hilltopperny
12-29-2017, 03:26 PM
My drifter build is on hold because the 8020 is not available just yet. Luckily there is an arctic front here and plenty of snow so I am in no rush. I was told that it should be ready early this month and have my fingers crossed that it will.

I have a road disc I just built up with 785 levers and 6800 and it works great. I also tried out the 9070 disc hydro group. The hydro disc shimano system with ice tech rotors is hands down the best braking I've ever used. Much better than the mechanical discs I've had in the past.

sales guy
12-29-2017, 06:48 PM
I just bought a new frame I though I could build up right away, but I didn't realize the new Ultegra disc group was in production and coming anywhere between next week and the spring.

I assume it's more like the spring since there are many OEMs and other preorders that would be waiting for stock already.

On the other hand, all of the rest of the R8000 bits are available and Dura Ace 9120 is available. I was thinking of going for those for the shifters/brakes and then R8000 for the rest.

$500 more though. Stab's my mid-budget build right in the heart.

But don't have to get a SRAM group or piece together something from previous generations or wait.

I'm sure many folks have faced similar dilemmas for custom bikes as well - what did you do?

My drifter build is on hold because the 8020 is not available just yet. Luckily there is an arctic front here and plenty of snow so I am in no rush. I was told that it should be ready early this month and have my fingers crossed that it will.

I have a road disc I just built up with 785 levers and 6800 and it works great. I also tried out the 9070 disc hydro group. The hydro disc shimano system with ice tech rotors is hands down the best braking I've ever used. Much better than the mechanical discs I've used on the past.

I have gotten 8020 levers from my guys in the UK. If you want something let me know. I can get you pricing.