PDA

View Full Version : $ilca $uper Duper Floor Pump

Jeff N.
12-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Wondering if anyone else bought one of these absolute pieces of garbage? The pump head seal (9 bucks a pop) wears out after a few dozen pump-ups and the seals below start leaking as well. This'll be the 2nd time I've had to ship this pump back to Silca for repair. Except for a Zipp carbon crankset I bought years ago, this is EASILY the worst cycling-related purchase I've ever made. If you have one of these and haven't had any problems, consider yourself lucky.

Cicli
12-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Mine works awesome.

YMMV.

arik
12-29-2017, 11:08 AM
I also dislike their crazy prices for made in Taiwan hex wrenches, you can get truly premium tools made in Germany and Switzerland for far less. Just a hard company for me to like.

Clean39T
12-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Still happy with my $15 co-op pickup..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170902/e8762141ca64ea4f868889c9b21e26a1.jpg

And I just bought a fancy Bontrager tubeless pumper super-soaker thing, so we'll see how that goes.

Tickdoc
12-29-2017, 11:10 AM
I have the less fancy pista and it works like a charm. I love that pump and don't feel like I'll need another one ever.

joosttx
12-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Reminds me of something my Dad said....ā€ Losers will lose no matter how good they have it.ā€ Wishing you future success in the new year.

Jeff N.
12-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Mine works awesome.

YMMV.
Mine does too...for a while, before it begins leaking.

wildboar
12-29-2017, 11:15 AM
How much u want fer it?

FlashUNC
12-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Have the same pump with the Hiro head instead of the standard. Survived two Reno2Cinos bouncing around in the back of a pickup, beat all to death and back. Has not been babied at all, works great. Haven't even had to use the rebuild kit I got for it.

Not sure what's causing your issues, but mine has been absolutely bulletproof.

bthornt
12-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Topeak Joe Blow, cheap, effective, bulletproof

speedevil
12-29-2017, 11:37 AM
My Lezyne floor drive has been great for several years now.

Spaghetti Legs
12-29-2017, 11:37 AM
My Pista is awesome.

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
The simple answer to this is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1

and this

https://www.efficientvelo.com/product/p ... -inflator/

Overkill? Perhaps - but you will never regret getting this setup.

kingpin75s
12-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Mine worked great for about a year before separating just above where the hose screws into the base. Seemingly from the tension placed on the hose structure from it holding the pump handle. Looks like some sort of press fit plastic connection that failed but need to have it looked at to verify.

Thanks for reminding me I need to do something about it.

Have tried every level of pumps and have now been disappointed at every turn.

Now have to reach past my busted Silca and Lezyne (both) pumps for my 13 year old Joe Blow which is not great, but still functions.

berserk87
12-29-2017, 12:02 PM
I can't say enough about Blackburn pumps. They have a lifetime warranty. And by lifetime, I mean lifetime. Like 9 years and a pump hose breaks, and they don't make that model anymore, and they send you a new pump, no questions asked (current closest model). I'm on my 3rd Blackburn pump in 19 years, and I only paid for the first one.

Pumps are like saddles and shoes - largely a matter of preference.

MaraudingWalrus
12-29-2017, 12:08 PM
I really like that pump head. I have bought several and have one of those pump heads on like every pump I own between my house, my parents' house and the bike shop.

I get about three months out of the pump head at the bike shop of daily hard use....if you're getting nine uses out of yours, that either sounds like a you problem or a you get a defective one problem.

The ones I've sold have been bullet proof.

There was a recall on one of the silca (http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2017/12/14/silca-releases-urgent-service-bulletin-pump-gauges#.WkaEQ1Q-ffY)pumps recently, perhaps you have one of those, but the issues you're describing don't sound like the issues they describe.

Big Dan
12-29-2017, 12:20 PM
You don't need to pay a lot for a reliable pump.
Topeak works, even those old blue Nashbar pumps would do.

fogrider
12-29-2017, 12:29 PM
I can't say enough about Blackburn pumps. They have a lifetime warranty. And by lifetime, I mean lifetime. Like 9 years and a pump hose breaks, and they don't make that model anymore, and they send you a new pump, no questions asked (current closest model). I'm on my 3rd Blackburn pump in 19 years, and I only paid for the first one.

Pumps are like saddles and shoes - largely a matter of preference.Pretty cool that you're gotten 3 pumps out it, but that doesn't really say that much about product...it speaks to the company honoring their warranty on a product that won't last. I have 2 older silcia pumps (one is the super)and they still work...both have been rebuilt but they still work...and they feel like the will last forever. Some of the newer pumps feel have a lighter feel and fancy heads, but not sure about long term durability.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

seanile
12-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Pretty cool that you're gotten 3 pumps out it, but that doesn't really say that much about product...it speaks to the company honoring their warranty on a product that won't last. I have 2 older silcia pumps (one is the super)and they still work...both have been rebuilt but they still work...and they feel like the will last forever. Some of the newer pumps feel have a lighter feel and fancy heads, but not sure about long term durability.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalkif you've had to have yours rebuilt, wouldn't you have to say that yours didn't last either?

simplemind
12-29-2017, 01:00 PM
The simple answer to this is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1 BAD LINK

and this

https://www.efficientvelo.com/product/p ... -inflator/

Overkill? Perhaps - but you will never regret getting this setup.

That one looks nice, where do you get them?

simplemind
12-29-2017, 01:04 PM

I thought I was the only one! The latest one they sent is the best, which is their Piston 4 (https://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/floor-pumps/piston-4-floor-pump.html).

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2017, 01:19 PM
That one looks nice, where do you get them?

Should link you to the PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor. About $99 on AMZN.

As for the EVT inflator, you can buy it direct from Brett at EVT.

R3awak3n
12-29-2017, 01:31 PM
I like silca, so lets get that out... I really like their pocket TI torque wrench thingy, has come in handy as my travel tool kit. Its nice.

But I also have their frame pump. Got it for a song on ebay, I got lucky. It is absolutely beautiful. Well made. Really really nice, ect ect ect.

However guess what? My topeak master blaster is a much better pump and costs $20 (vs $160 msrp for the silca). This is true with a lot of bike things in this world. Expensive does not mean its better.

In this case, something is going on becaus ethere are people very satisfied with the same pump. Hope they send you a new pump

arik
12-29-2017, 02:10 PM
I thought I was the only one! The latest one they sent is the best, which is their Piston 4 (https://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/floor-pumps/piston-4-floor-pump.html).

Same here! I am on my second Blackburn pump, all I wanted was a couple small cheap spare parts to fix my first one (model TP5) but they insisted on sending me a brand new one!! Awesome service.

Jeff N.
12-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Just shipped the pump back to Silca...I'll let y'all know how it turned out. -Jeff N.

raven
12-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Attention new school Super Pista owners:
This one is almost right up there with a pair of Cannondale leisurewear shorts that was recalled. Yes, a pair of shorts recalled!!!

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2017/12/14/silca-releases-urgent-service-bulletin-pump-gauges

cadence90
12-29-2017, 04:20 PM
I also dislike their crazy prices for made in Taiwan hex wrenches, you can get truly premium tools made in Germany and Switzerland for far less. Just a hard company for me to like.

I don't own any, but I have read (here and elsewhere) that the Silca hex wrenches are in fact made by PB Swiss. :confused:

I have some older, regular Silca floor pump; it has worked and still works perfectly.

berserk87
12-29-2017, 04:24 PM
Pretty cool that you're gotten 3 pumps out it, but that doesn't really say that much about product...it speaks to the company honoring their warranty on a product that won't last. I have 2 older silcia pumps (one is the super)and they still work...both have been rebuilt but they still work...and they feel like the will last forever. Some of the newer pumps feel have a lighter feel and fancy heads, but not sure about long term durability.

Yes - pumps do wear out. I would wager that I have less money and time in my replacement pumps than you do in rebuilding yours. I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of a pump.

R3awak3n
12-29-2017, 04:25 PM
While we are talking about crappy pumps, lets talk about lezyne

fogrider
12-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Yes - pumps do wear out. I would wager that I have less money and time in my replacement pumps than you do in rebuilding yours.Last time, it cost $2.50 for the leather washer...

joosttx
12-29-2017, 04:28 PM
I don't own any, but I have read (here and elsewhere) that the Silca hex wrenches are in fact made by PB Swiss. :confused:

I have some older, regular Silca floor pump; it has worked and still works perfectly.

I own both a set PB swiss and Silca hex wrenches. When I read the post you are referring to I was shocked that they were made in where he wrote the were made. When comparing the two, frankly, I would give the edge to Silca for the grip treatment they put on their wrenches. Simply comparing precision and wear I think the PB Swiss and Silica are equal which is much better than any other hex wrench I have tried.

Have the same pump with the Hiro head instead of the standard. Survived two Reno2Cinos bouncing around in the back of a pickup, beat all to death and back. Has not been babied at all, works great. Haven't even had to use the rebuild kit I got for it.

Not sure what's causing your issues, but mine has been absolutely bulletproof.

This pump has been abused. I abused it a bit when Flash was not looking. It worked and works very well. If there is an issue with Silca they will replace it or fix it. At least that's the experience I have had and I know others have had. Another positive note on Silca is the owner of the company saw that a group of us were riding across California on mostly dirt roads. He was so stoked that he personally emailed me and gave everyone who was riding a 10% discount on Silca products. I was so touched I bought something and did not use the discount. I think that was when Flash bought his pump. Silca supports cycling, the adventure and quality. I am sure they will do the right thing even when the customer does not.

parallelfish
12-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Topeak Joe Blow, cheap, effective, bulletproof

Yep...got mine for $14.00 on an Amazon flash sale. Figured for the price I could not lose. It is the only pump I use anymore.

bikinchris
12-29-2017, 05:09 PM

I have some of the original Silca pista and Super Pista pumps. Probably 6 total. Some of them are pushing 40 years old. The wear parts have been replaced over the years, but they still work like day one. I have put some of the famous Japanese head on a few for riders who just can't get the hang of using the original heads. Some of them have been used and abused by hundreds of riders on multi day rides.
I also have two other pumps that have been a used and abused by hundreds of random riders who have failed to break them. Pedro's Super Prestige and SKS Airmenius have both served perfectly in situations where other pumps failed on day one.

C40_guy
12-29-2017, 05:12 PM
I have two of the original Silcas...one works fine, the other one I tried to replace the leather seal and it hasn't worked since.

<sigh>

Maybe I'll take the good one apart to see how I messed up the other one.

That way I'll have two broken Silcas. :)

...I mean...it's not rocket science...it's a spring and a leather seal, right?

belopsky
12-29-2017, 05:22 PM
I have a Park Tool floor pump. While the pump itself works just fine, I hate hate hate the pump head. It's this
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/712xc0pDSOL._SY355_.jpg

Can I replace it with something else? Also how? Hose clamp?

R3awak3n
12-29-2017, 05:23 PM
I have a Park Tool floor pump. While the pump itself works just fine, I hate hate hate the pump head. It's this

Hirame pump head. Its the best bu it will cost you $70

C40_guy
12-29-2017, 05:25 PM

Direct replacement here:

https://www.parktool.com/product/pump-rebuild-kit-for-pfp-4-2nd-generation-floor-pump-1096x?category=Pumps

Or other pump head with hose clamp...but I hate having that clamp next to the pump head...

m4rk540
12-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Best Stealth Brag Thread of 2017.

Beware of Passoni Quirks Thread was No. 2

cadence90
12-29-2017, 05:42 PM
I own both a set PB swiss and Silca hex wrenches. When I read the post you are referring to I was shocked that they were made in where he wrote the were made. When comparing the two, frankly, I would give the edge to Silca for the grip treatment they put on their wrenches. Simply comparing precision and wear I think the PB Swiss and Silica are equal which is much better than any other hex wrench I have tried.
Yes, I was quite surprised as well.

I have yet to see or read anywhere (other than here in post #3) that the Silca hex keys are made where that poster says they are made, and as a result are also "crazy price[d]". I do not own the Silca hex set, but do own the colored, ball-end PB Swiss set; have used Wera; and have seen Wiha in hand. They are all good; ime all very close in price (PB, Wera, Wiha are not being sold "for far less" when comparing equal sets); and certainly look/feel/work much better than other, lower-priced sets.

I have read and have been told that the Silca hex keys are made by PB Swiss, and I have no reason to doubt the people stating that. It seems very logical to me. Perhaps the claim above is just another example of this current and strange "dislike-the-new-Silca" thing that is apparently fashionable in certain circles, I really don't know. I'm not ga-ga over it, but I am very happy with the (both old and new) Silca stuff I have.

OtayBW
12-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Last time, it cost $2.50 for the leather washer...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkI agree - and the last time that I had to replace that washer in my ~30 yo silca floor pump was >10 years ago. I've also got another Silca pista pump and they both work great for me. I can appreciate Silca's innovation and I wish then success, but their business model on many of the newer items seems to be a little lost on me.

berserk87
12-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Last time, it cost $2.50 for the leather washer...

I spent $0 and didn't have to fix anything. The downside is that I had to toss a pump that seemed perfectly usable but for one small part.

To be fair, I found out about Blackburn's warranty program by looking to the company for spare parts. I would be doing what you are doing if I had a Silca.

I break a lot of stuff. I can't have nice things.

belopsky
12-29-2017, 06:39 PM

Dont want to spend $70.

Direct replacement here:

https://www.parktool.com/product/pump-rebuild-kit-for-pfp-4-2nd-generation-floor-pump-1096x?category=Pumps

Or other pump head with hose clamp...but I hate having that clamp next to the pump head...
How good is this pump head? There is nothing wrong with mine but the lever on it makes it tough to operate one handed / needs lots of leverage

sales guy
12-29-2017, 07:02 PM
Yes, I was quite surprised as well.

I have yet to see or read anywhere (other than here in post #3) that the Silca hex keys are made where that poster says they are made, and as a result are also "crazy price[d]". I do not own the Silca hex set, but do own the colored, ball-end PB Swiss set; have used Wera; and have seen Wiha in hand. They are all good; ime all very close in price (PB, Wera, Wiha are not being sold "for far less" when comparing equal sets); and certainly look/feel/work much better than other, lower-priced sets.

I have read and have been told that the Silca hex keys are made by PB Swiss, and I have no reason to doubt the people stating that. It seems very logical to me. Perhaps the claim above is just another example of this current and strange "dislike-the-new-Silca" thing that is apparently fashionable in certain circles, I really don't know. I'm not ga-ga over it, but I am very happy with the (both old and new) Silca stuff I have.

My Silca HX-One kit says Made in Taiwan. Until I saw that, I thought they were made in the US. For the price, they should be. And that's even with us having custom cases done for Enigma. I would also mention, that the allen keys, are slightly small. Slightly smaller than others that I have. I figured they would be a nice snug fit.

cadence90
12-29-2017, 07:18 PM
My Silca HX-One kit says Made in Taiwan. Until I saw that, I thought they were made in the US. For the price, they should be. And that's even with us having custom cases done for Enigma. I would also mention, that the allen keys, are slightly small. Slightly smaller than others that I have. I figured they would be a nice snug fit.

I'm definitely not trying to be difficult, and will certainly stand corrected (with great surprise), but just to be clear, does it state that the actual tools themselves are made in Taiwan, or just the box, or impossible to tell?

Odd, because several people have told me definitively that Silca hex = PB Swiss. Did Silca sell a hex set (just hex keys, HX-One kit, no box, no other stuff) like PB/Wera/Wiha before?

From Silca:

For the HX-One we had to start with the finest S-2 Tool Steel, a shock resistant steel which has been refined by Swiss and German toolmakers for the optimal balance of strength, hardness, shock resistance and dimensional control. S-2 yields stronger tools with much harder surfaces for prolonged tool AND fastener life. The keys are then coated with thin-dense Chrome, a process generally reserved for mold tool components or optical grade surfaces inside molding tools. This coating provides the hardest, most dimensionally stable finish possible on each hex key. Finally, each tool is spray coated with a high-grip, high-visibility textured polymer finish for maximum grip and control. No more dropping your tools with greasy fingers or losing them on your workbench!:confused:

Ttx1
12-29-2017, 07:22 PM
I have an Ultimate with the Hiro head. It's been awesome for ~ 2 years of weekly use.

I also have an old Silca Pista that's been refurb'd twice in 30+ years.

I greatly appreciate that the new Silca supports the old Silca with new (and improved) parts, and that the new Silca has honored and reinvigorated an old brand, has innovated at a remarkable pace in just a few years, has some domestic US production (against all odds), and fully stands by what they produce.

I agree that the Ultimate is over the top in design and expense, but like any really good tool, I really enjoy using it.

Life is short. Business is hard.

I wish Silca lots of success.

sales guy
12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm definitely not trying to be difficult, and will certainly stand corrected (with great surprise), but just to be clear, does it state that the actual tools themselves are made in Taiwan, or just the box, or impossible to tell?

Odd, because several people have told me definitively that Silca hex = PB Swiss. Did Silca sell a hex set (just hex keys, HX-One kit, no box, no other stuff) like PB/Wera/Wiha before?

:confused:

Didn't think you or anyone else was being difficult. The box the HX-one comes in says Made in Taiwan. The tools, wooden case or anything else says nothing where it's made. Given that, my guess would be Taiwan. Based on what you listed from the Silca website, that doesn't say specifically that the tools ARE made in Switzerland or Germany. Just that they start with the finest steel which has been refined by Swiss and German toolmakers.

Based on that packaging I would say Taiwan.

belopsky
12-29-2017, 07:40 PM
You know what would solve this bickering? Asking Silca.

cadence90
12-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Didn't think you or anyone else was being difficult. The box the HX-one comes in says Made in Taiwan. The tools, wooden case or anything else says nothing where it's made. Given that, my guess would be Taiwan. Based on what you listed from the Silca website, that doesn't say specifically that the tools ARE made in Switzerland or Germany. Just that they start with the finest steel which has been refined by Swiss and German toolmakers.

Interesting, thanks.

Yes, stating what steel they are made of doesn't mean at all that PB, etc., actually made the tools. And, on the other hand, I have no doubt that Taiwan firms can produce high-quality, precision tools on the level of German, Swiss, etc. firms.

joosttx
12-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Wow, I just assumed they were valued added PB Swiss hexes. But it sounds like you are right.

belopsky
12-29-2017, 07:46 PM
This is my opinion and my opinion only:

If I had bought the Silca tools assuming they were PB Swiss made, spent $120 and found out they were made in Taiwan, I would ask for my money back.

pjbaz
12-29-2017, 07:50 PM
I have two Silca floor pumps and I like them a lot. My older Super Pista was a steal at $40 - brand new! Guy (shop owner at a bike swap) claimed it was a difficult color to sell ... but upon inspection I think he was a dope and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working properly. Took me about 10 minutes to realize the thread-on Schraeder chuck was junk. Removed the offending piece and she's been a dream ever since ... and who uses a Silca pump on Schraeder valves, anyway? :banana:

arik
12-29-2017, 08:07 PM
These are $100 and made in in Switzerland (pb Swiss model 3212LH-10), I have a set and they feel as good as they look, the silca hx one set is made in Taiwan and cost $125. Origin isn't everything but you should draw your own conclusions about value for the dollar here :no:

http://www.shop.pbtools.us/images/3212_LH_10(2).jpg

sales guy
12-29-2017, 08:08 PM
You know what would solve this bickering? Asking Silca.

Yep.

Interesting, thanks.

Yes, stating what steel they are made of doesn't mean at all that PB, etc., actually made the tools. And, on the other hand, I have no doubt that Taiwan firms can produce high-quality, precision tools on the level of German, Swiss, etc. firms.

I thought they were made in Germany. When I saw the label, it was kind of an Oh well. I still like the product.

Wow, I just assumed they were valued added PB Swiss hexes. But it sounds like you are right.

I thought they were till I saw that on the side of the packaging.

If I had bought the Silca tools assuming they were PB Swiss made, spent $120 and found out they were made in Taiwan, I would ask for my money back.

I get what you're saying.

cadence90
12-29-2017, 08:11 PM

But why? Perhaps they are just as good.

Also, the $125 Silca set doesn't exactly compare to a PB Swiss set:
PB Swiss Tool Lady 2212LH-10 RB set (9 long hex keys + plastic tool holder) = $80.70.
Silca HX-ONE set (8 long hex keys + 1/4" bit adaptor + 10 bits + wood box) = $125.00.

arik
12-29-2017, 08:20 PM
But why? Perhaps they are just as good.

Yeah and Russian and Chinese titanium frames are probably just as good as seven or Firefly in most cases, but that doesn't mean I want to pay USA prices for them.

DrSpoke
12-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Mine was about 20 yrs old when they sent me a new one - no questions asked.

DrSpoke
12-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Yes, similar problem. I can get up to about 80 psi and then it blows off. Very disappointed especially after I splurged budget wise on what I thought would be a premium too.

Wondering if anyone else bought one of these absolute pieces of garbage? The pump head seal (9 bucks a pop) wears out after a few dozen pump-ups and the seals below start leaking as well. This'll be the 2nd time I've had to ship this pump back to Silca for repair. Except for a Zipp carbon crankset I bought years ago, this is EASILY the worst cycling-related purchase I've ever made. If you have one of these and haven't had any problems, consider yourself lucky.

cadence90
12-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Yeah and Russian and Chinese titanium frames are probably just as good as seven or Firefly in most cases, but that doesn't mean I want to pay USA prices for them.

Huh. Amazing leaps of logic here, that's certain.

ls1togo
12-29-2017, 08:46 PM
bought one on the advice of a long time cyclist ...I got tired of stocking spare parts, so I bought a Lezyne, been fine since..

weaponsgrade
12-30-2017, 12:40 AM
These are $100 and made in in Switzerland (pb Swiss model 3212LH-10), I have a set and they feel as good as they look, the silca hx one set is made in Taiwan and cost $125. Origin isn't everything but you should draw your own conclusions about value for the dollar here :no:

Oooh, those are nice. Knurling gets me every time.

likebikes
12-30-2017, 12:41 AM
i really like my topeak joe blow.

cheap, gets the job done. not fancy in any means or a premium product. i think i paid $15 for mine via amazon.

weaponsgrade
12-30-2017, 01:18 AM
I have an old Silca bolted to a scrap piece of plywood for stability. Threaded valves seemed to always chew up the washer. I put on a Toppeak pump head (I think it's called the smarthead) because it was advertised as being able to also pump schrader valves without having to unscrew anything. It's been flawless. I also put lots of stickers on the barrel - including a Pegoretti sticker. There might even be two Pegoretti stickers.

earlfoss
12-30-2017, 05:43 AM
I have the same super nice Silca, and it's been excellent. Be aware that the leather washer needs to be re-lubricated from time to time. Silca suggests once a year. This helps maintain the seal. The washer is hydrated in it at the factory, but I'm unsure to what extent.

In any case, it's been a good pump for me.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Or Tanaka..same idea..

glepore
12-30-2017, 07:49 AM
http://www.arundelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/HanselPumpHead-510-652.jpg
Arundel-29 bucks, get em while you can, rumor is they're no longer in production...

Jeff N.
12-30-2017, 08:57 AM
yes, similar problem. I can get up to about 80 psi and then it blows off. Very disappointed especially after i splurged budget wise on what i thought would be a premium too.
Exactly! I wonder if it'd work better or last longer if I'd bought THIS RS (JB-painted) version? Only $800! Sheesh........

ptourkin
12-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Dont want to spend $70.

How good is this pump head? There is nothing wrong with mine but the lever on it makes it tough to operate one handed / needs lots of leverage

This one is excellent at $40 https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-pump-head/
I've had it hold on track tires pumped to a high psi.
https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-tqfdy/products/496/images/1792/KCNC_Pump_Head_Parent__50821.1448485457.500.750.jp g?c=2

Also, I love my Silca hex keys. They are as high quality as any I've seen.

FlashUNC
12-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Silca makes their own version of that pump head. Got it on mine. Works great.

bfd
12-30-2017, 09:44 AM

You guys are awesome. My "lowly" Bondhus hex wrench only cost me like $10 or $15, but they're Made in the USA!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0836/4641/products/bondhus_9pc_hex.jpg?v=1494389398

R3awak3n
12-30-2017, 10:39 AM
I am not surprised people are spending $120 on colored cute tools but seriouly though, T handles are just so much much much better.

unterhausen
12-30-2017, 01:13 PM
I always liked Silca pumps, particularly since they were cheap. When they were rebooted as a luxury good, I wasn't all that happy. I have not given up on the idea of the frame pump though.

I am not afraid to spend money on tools, but Silca tools just seems like they are designed to separate rich people from their money, and not offer a functional advantage. I see the allure of the PB Swiss tools, but I feel like there is a big markup in the U.S., and I refuse to pay that much when there are German tools that are just as good, if not quite as sexy.

I have Wiha t-handles, and they are really good. I think I got them on sale at MSC, seems like the cheapest I find them for now is quite a bit more than I paid. I have some Bondhus t-handles. They have a loop at the top. Functional, but I really like that the Wiha has a hex key on the side of the handle.

As far as hex keys, I can't decide if I like the Wera or Wiha colored ones better. Wiha are shiny. Both less than $40 a set. I'm not too enthused about Bondus hex keys, although I have multiple sets of them. They work.

beeatnik
12-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Artisanal tools are so weird.

sg8357
12-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Artisanal tools are so weird.

Artisanal makes excellent factory automation robots,
they're based in the town of Usa, Taiwan. :)

Back on topic, I have a Hirame head on a Wrench Force pump,
$40 pump, $60 dollar head.

ripvanrando
12-30-2017, 06:55 PM
I feel poor and inferior.

My pump sucks. My tools are cheap.

I can justify those wrenches, they're almost the cost of half a decent bottle of wine.

Drewhartman
12-30-2017, 09:02 PM
The best hex keys I've used are,Wera plus hex keys, Abbey bike tools uses them in their 4way, https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/4-way, they have a nice snug fit, great for stems, derailleurs and seat post. I have used Sica, pb swiss and the gold bondhus.

bfd
12-31-2017, 04:28 PM
I have an old silca floor pump from the 80s with the columbus tubing decal.

One thing I found disappointing were the new synthetic 242 gaskets. I've tried both EVT:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31-4NKAEaiL.jpg

and the new Silca one:

https://static.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/sn2421-1.jpg

At $7 for the EVT and $9 for the silca, I don't find them any better than the $2 black rubber gasket that the old Silca use to sell:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/804sw/products/138538/images/453835/PU1410__14500.1487363439.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I was expecting these new materials to last a lot longer. Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

sales guy
01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Something for fun.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/news/detail/how-its-made-winkelschraubenzieher/

arik
01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Thanks for posting that, but I feel bad for that guy that has to stuff the wrenches into the plastic holders all day long :)

Clean39T
01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
I feel poor and inferior.

My pump sucks. My tools are cheap.

I can justify those wrenches, they're almost the cost of half a decent bottle of wine.

Iā€™m sensing redemptive sarcasm at the end there...

chiasticon
01-05-2018, 12:53 PM
have a decent bit of Silca: torque kit, frame pump, pista, seat roll, and the t-handle wrenches. love 'em all but I'll say they're not without issues. the biggest issue is indeed the rubber gasket for the pista. that sucker just wears out too fast. I do love it though. oh and the hose did separate from the base on mine too; they said it was an issue with the earlier production runs and sent me a whole new assembly. similarly, I lost the chuck on the frame pump while riding. they swapped it to a new one and said early production runs had a design flaw that they'd fixed. it's been fine, as has the pista. but we'll see...

t-handle wrenches didn't say made in Taiwan anywhere on them, that I can remember, but I'll check again. they're friggin' awesome though.

cadence90
01-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks for posting that, but I feel bad for that guy that has to stuff the wrenches into the plastic holders all day long :)

I couldn't tell if the look on his face indicated, "Thank heavens I'm not one of those damned robots!" or, "Heavens to SwissMiss, I wish that I was one of those damned robots!".

sales guy
01-05-2018, 02:07 PM
have a decent bit of Silca: torque kit, frame pump, pista, seat roll, and the t-handle wrenches. love 'em all but I'll say they're not without issues. the biggest issue is indeed the rubber gasket for the pista. that sucker just wears out too fast. I do love it though. oh and the hose did separate from the base on mine too; they said it was an issue with the earlier production runs and sent me a whole new assembly. similarly, I lost the chuck on the frame pump while riding. they swapped it to a new one and said early production runs had a design flaw that they'd fixed. it's been fine, as has the pista. but we'll see...

t-handle wrenches didn't say made in Taiwan anywhere on them, that I can remember, but I'll check again. they're friggin' awesome though.

My Ti-Torque and HX-One doesn't say it on the product, just the packaging.

Jeff N.
01-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Just got the pump back from Silca. It now works 100% perfect! Looks like they replaced the entire lower portion/gauge, along with a new hose and pump head...oh, and even a new handle! You sure can't say SILCA doesn't stand behind this product! No charge for anything, including shipping. So...all's well that ends well. -Jeff N.

belopsky
01-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Just got the pump back from Silca. It now works 100% perfect! Looks like they replaced the entire lower portion/gauge, along with a new hose and pump head...oh, and even a new handle! You sure can't say SILCA doesn't stand behind this product! No charge for anything, including shipping. So...all's well that ends well. -Jeff N.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

cadence90
01-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Cicli
01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
A lot of pretty negative stuff regarding Silca was thrown around here, starting with the op.

Yeah, they are all opinions though. Worth about what you paid for them. It ended well. I dont see any big deal.

R3awak3n
01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
I mean in this thread there are negative comments and positive comments.

I knew they were going to do exactly what they did and kinda silly that the OP came in trashing the company before contacting them about it. I mean, I get it you are frustrated but products are sometimes lemons and just because its expensive doesn't mean every single production model will function the same.

Anyways, glad the issue is solved. Good on them but also not surprised.