PDA

View Full Version : How did you dress for the cold today?

NHAero
12-28-2017, 05:32 PM
11F here this morning. I have a short commute, about two miles. Took the MTB though the woods, less wind. Dipped into the mountaineering clothes drawer, pulled out Marmot Thinsulate gloves, and an EMS pile balaclava to go under the usual windproof beanie. Just hiking boots on my feet for such a short ride. Back at lunch to let the dog out, it had gotten up to 13F. Headed to low single digits tonight.

What do you wear?

smontanaro
12-28-2017, 05:43 PM
What do you wear?

I'm not commuting this winter. Might not commute much in the dark again. That said, this time last year, on a day like today I would have had Bar Mitts on the bars, tights and wool shorts on the legs, Base layer, wool jersey, and windbreaker on top, wool cap under my helmet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

radsmd
12-28-2017, 05:52 PM
71F.

Short sleeve jersey, bib shorts, sunblock. Was a little breezy though. Can’t have everything...

Ken Robb
12-28-2017, 06:17 PM
71F.

Short sleeve jersey, bib shorts, sunblock. Was a little breezy though. Can’t have everything...

I wore a long sleeve shirt. :beer:

bmeryman
12-28-2017, 06:25 PM
-5 up here in Burlington this morning. Here's my winter getup:

Legs: sweatpants and double-knee Carhartt pants

Feet: Darn Tough socks and insulated steel-toe work boots (I keep them on the heater overnight so good for ~20 minutes until the steel gets cold, then they're awful)

Top: T-shirt, wool sweatshirt, down pullover jacket

Hands: Felted mittens my mom made me with treated leather overmittens

Head: Hat and neckwarmer

My winter commuting attire skews very heavily on the 'warm but cumbersome' end of the spectrum. Not at all breathable and tons of cotton. Work is only a mile or two away. My winter commuter is a fixed gear, so luckily my bemittened hands don't have to do much.

weisan
12-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Waited till noon before I head out for my ride today. 47 degrees. 3 hrs. Easy.

Craft inner garment long sleeve
Wind stopper jacket
Long tights over bib short
Costco gloves
Wool socks
SPD mtn shoes
Merlin Ti cross bike / 35 mm tires

moose8
12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
I had today off but commuted by bike yesterday in Boston and for the first time in many years didn’t see one other rider on the way in - I think it was the holiday week as much as the weather though. I wore wool long underwear tops and bottoms underneath many layers and ended up sweaty when I got to work. The ride home I saw two other riders. It still beat taking the bus.

Tandem Rider
12-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Got home from work on time for once, 50 deg out, so it was shorts, leg warmers, LS undershirt, LS jersey, vest, light gloves, cycling hat. Probably won't happen again like that this year.

jumphigher
12-28-2017, 07:34 PM
It was 16 here. I wear insulated tights, a base layer on top, a t-shirt over that, then an insualted jersey over that. Than a balaclava, 2 beanies and insulated gloves. And neoprene toe covers. :)

572cv
12-28-2017, 07:56 PM
It got up to 1degree F with a brisk N-W wind here. Lots of wool underwear, down jacket, baclava, hat, felt liners, on the fat bike out to the mail box and back. Half mile all told. No frost bite, but close. Yikes.

KarlC
12-28-2017, 08:22 PM
71F.

Pretty much the same, its been in the 70s all week here......

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4647/27563627799_9817411a16_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/HZGNf4)20171227_142620_HDR (002) (https://flic.kr/p/HZGNf4) by

joev
12-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Actually, I'll ride in the early morning near the 45 degrees...still working the day job...and this is what I'll wear:

1 - Pearl Izumi Toe Covers
2 - Pearl Izumi Knee Warmers, Elite
3 - Specialized Element Long Sleeve Jacket - Black
4 - Pearl Izumi Vest - White (To Be Seen)
5 - Craft Long Finger Winter Gloves
6 - New Bell Z20 Helmet - Ghost (Cool reflective coating)

With this I will do (5) 1 mile hill reps, relax on the way down between reps. I'll break the sweat on rep no. 2. By rep no. 5, the vest will be unzipped.

I did 30 year hard time back east and I won't go back!

Can't wait for Saturday! Wooo Hooo! ...trying not to think what is in store for June :eek:

thwart
12-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Wooo Hooo! ...trying not to think what is in store for June :eek:

When those of us in Northern climes will try not to do what some of you warm climate dwellers are doing in this thread...

:rolleyes:

eddief
12-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Rode yesterday starting at 9:30 am. Temp at about 48 degrees going up to 63. Started with toe covers, leg warmers, synthetic long sleeve base, windstopper short sleeve jersey and then 3, yes 3, light wind breakers, glove liners, and normal fingerless gloves, Craft windstopper skull cap. I run super cold, so light layers, easy to take off works best for me.

One of my favorite purchases in 2017:

CRAFT ACTIVE EXTREME 2.0 WINDSTOPPER SKULL HAT BEANIE FLUO YELLOW GRAY L/XL

It is light, bright, stops wind and does not turn into a freezing cold sponge of wet sweat. Best price on the planet me thinks:

http://tiremaniacs.com/craft-active-extreme-2-0-windstopper-skull-hat-beanie-fluo-yellow-gray-l-xl/

Matthew
12-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Tank top and shorts. But I was inside on the trainer!! I think it got up to 14 today and were calling for 6-12 more inches of snow. So cold lately the salt won't melt the ice on the roads now. Packed snow/ice mixture on most roads so I won't even consider going out on that. Man, I envy you west coast and southern folks. And hate you a little too.

cadence90
12-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Sandals, shorts, tee.

To be completely honest, it did seem that the area of my chest under the "Campagnolo" logo did feel just a tad warmer than elsewhere.

:)

fiamme red
12-28-2017, 10:09 PM
I wore four layers and a jacket, thick wool mittens with wool liners, and heavy wool socks. When I got home on my bike an hour ago, it was 14°.

arik
12-28-2017, 10:56 PM
Arc'teryx leaf cold wx jacket sv, made in Canada

likebikes
12-29-2017, 01:08 AM
i'm in wyoming and it was 45 here today.

allezdude
12-29-2017, 06:12 AM
single digits here most of the week

all you AZ/CA/FL riders in this thread are tea bagging us poor souls living in the frigid climates :fight:

anyway this is what's been working for me:

Top- double layer jackets (1 is windblocking)
Bottom- long underwear & levis
Feet- heavy wool socks (from climbing mt rainier :) & winter boots
Head/face- Craft wind blocker hat, Rapha thin wool winter thing over my face, ski goggles
Hands- warmest mittens I got

My commute is short as well. For a longer ride, I'd do,something different on top as it's pretty easy to overheat.

SlowPokePete
12-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Yesterday's ride was 12 degrees, two hours.

Start from the bottom...

Two pairs of wool socks, Lake winter boots.

Bib shorts, Patagonia capilene bottoms, Assos tights, Pearl Izumi AmFib tights on top of that (basically 3 layers).

Upper body...three long sleeve base layers (2 wool, including my FastBoy Cycles Ibex long sleeve), close fitting fleece vest, winter riding jacket (3 layers on arms under outer jacket, 4 layers for core).

Baclava, cool weather cap, cold weather hat, helmet.

AmFib gloves plus liner.

Oakleys.

That's what it takes #irideoutside.

PS who care what you wore if its 70 out...

SPP

verticaldoug
12-29-2017, 06:34 AM
The biggest change for me is my craft siberian gloves inside of my marmot precip-glove shells. I can get about 90 minutes on the bike in low teens. The marmot 8000m mitts are calling, you just can 't shift.

Electric socks sure sound nice, but the batterys don't fit under the tights and I'll be damned if I will be a nerd and wear socks over my tights. Even a mamil needs to draw a line somewhere

I wish I had signed up for the Arrowhead 135. I am letting perfectly good training rides go to waste.

zap
12-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Bibs and shirt............computrainer right after doing squats etc.

marciero
12-29-2017, 08:30 AM
The biggest change for me is my craft siberian gloves inside of my marmot precip-glove shells. I can get about 90 minutes on the bike in low teens. The marmot 8000m mitts are calling, you just can 't shift...

These are my go-to. I use thin neoprene liners, then the down Marmot liner mittens, then either the Marmot outer mitts or a pair of OR Firebrand outer mitts.
Shifting is fine down to the low 30's since I dont use the down liner mitts. Below that I often need to use thumb for the inner STI lever.

ltwtsculler91
12-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Bibs and shirt............computrainer right after doing squats etc.

:banana::banana: This was me this morning. Spin bike and then body weight exercises in the basement.. Sure beats getting on the C2 erg

Half day at work today, so I'll be heading out around 1:30 in my full Assos Bonka kit (jacket, tights, heavy baselayer) and 2 sets of gloves a "trigger finger" mitten with fleece gloves underneath. High is around 20, so it should be a fun one. Hopefully we don't get much snow tomorrow so I can ride again Sunday/Monday

Geeheeb
12-29-2017, 08:37 AM
I wear similar stuff to what is listed. for commuting layers, a 1960s scratchy wool flannel under a rain jacket down to about 15f, and below that add arm warmers.

rain cover on helmet helps keep an insulative air layer around head

not winning any fashion awards ever, especially in the winter.

ripvanrando
12-29-2017, 08:37 AM
12F but I did not last long. Lots of layers. Hands were my problem.

weisan
12-29-2017, 09:02 AM
50 degrees is my new favorite temp. these days.

65-70 for Spring and Fall.

80 for summer.

Today's forecast : 47-55 degrees.

Guess where I am gonna be.

verticaldoug
12-29-2017, 09:06 AM
The worse for me is my feet. I wore some Mavic Frosts, and some bonka socks, but my feet still get to cold. After 90 minues, when I am back inside the house, once the blood starts coming to my feet it is like having the screaming barfies.

Seramount
12-29-2017, 09:19 AM
for a 2-hr ride (39F) earlier in the week...and yeah, I'm a cold-weather wuss:

Aerotech shorts
Aerotech fleece bibs
long sleeve UA cold gear top
short sleeve jersey
two pairs arm warmers
PI wind breaker
long finger Gore gloves
fleece outer gloves
cycling cap
UA head band (over the ears)
two pair Swiftwick socks

the UA cold gear is heart of my winter layering...that thing is seriously warm.

JAGI410
12-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Tomorrow the HIGH will be -18F.

I’ll go out for a little bit to see how the trail grooming I did is holding up.

Hands: Gordini Tech Lite Gloves, 45Nrth Cobrafist Pogies
Core: 45Nrth Wool T-Shirt, Relevate Designs Powerline Hoody, Showers Pass Elite jacket
Head: Outdoor Research Ninjaclava, Giro Snowboard helmet, Giro goggles
Legs: endura thermal knicker bibs, Wool long johns, Foxwear pants
Feet: Darn Tough wool socks, Keen Brixen boots (fresh off the boot heater).

seanile
12-29-2017, 09:25 AM
1 degree today! got into the parking garage and one of my firm's principals yelled "you're crazy!" at me :p

top down:
Nashbar skull cap
sunglasses
Buff neck gaitor
snowboarding mittens
Sommerville Sports PRO fleece jacket (since merged with Verge)
Microfleece longsleeve jersey
Swrve 3/4 denim knickers
bib shorts
longjohns under the bibs
Duluth Trading Co. fuzzy mid-calf socks
FiveTen Freerider EPS Hightop shoes on flat pedals with Holdfast straps

thwart
12-29-2017, 09:51 AM
12F but I did not last long. Lots of layers. Hands were my problem.
You folks are brave.

Me, if it's below 20° F or so... rollers in the garage.

On a sunny day I can eventually get down to a T-shirt and leg warmers.

Feels quite a bit like riding outdoors, but I can avoid most of the prep before and after.

And avoid those painfully cold fingers and toes. :crap:

bentaco
12-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Highs were around 10-15F all week here in Chicago, with some pretty brutal wind chill making it feel more like -10 on a few days. My hands take it the worst, so I've put Bar Mitts on the commuter along with some heavy merino gloves underneath.

For my face, I use the 45NRTH Toasterfork which keeps me pretty warm. Heavy wool socks with boots for my feet. I commute with a down jacket and several layers underneath. This is only for a few miles, and I'm still cold. Not sure why I live here still :confused:

arik
12-29-2017, 09:55 AM
You folks are brave.

Rollers in the garage on a cold winter's day, builds character.

simplemind
12-29-2017, 09:56 AM
50 degrees is my new favorite temp. these days.

65-70 for Spring and Fall.

80 for summer.

Today's forecast : 47-55 degrees.

Guess where I am gonna be.

I know where you'll be on Monday! :)

Bob Ross
12-29-2017, 10:08 AM
There's an ongoing thread in the Winter Cycling subforum of Bike Forums.net called "Today I Wore..." that I contribute to periodically just to remind myself of what works or doesn't from year to year. Just the other day I added this:

======
19°F with a wind-chill/"Real Feel" of 11°F ...plus at 6:30AM it was still pitch black out. Remind me again why we do this?

- Pearl Izumi cycling shorts
- no-name fleece tights
- two pairs of wool socks
- Answer winter cycling shoes
- Performance Toasties neoprene toe covers
- Early Winters Furnace Shirt base layer
- Sahalie Butter Fleece (Polartec) pullover
- Assos Airjack 851 jacket
- scarf
- hat
- helmet
- Assos 3-piece Winter Glove System

Rode for just over an hour, almost entirely easy spinning (as recovery from yesterday's long hard effort...but also because it's kinda hard to put out too much effort when you're dressed like the Michelin Tire Man). Fingers started to tingle towards the end -- I am supremely underwhelmed by that Assos glove system, despite the fact that two out of the three individual components seem to out-perform any of their equivalents -- but otherwise was dressed okay.
=====

thwart
12-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Rollers in the garage on a cold winter's day, builds character.

Not nearly as much as riding outdoors when it's in the single digits.

As I mentioned above, brave... or maybe completely nuts. :D

On a different note, isn't anyone riding Pogies?

fiamme red
12-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Even with heavy wool mittens and glove liners, my thumbs freeze quickly. I should consider Bar Mitts.

weisan
12-29-2017, 10:36 AM
http://92moose.fm/files/2014/08/Cold.jpgI know where you'll be on Monday! :)

ripvanrando
12-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Anyone else miss being a kid riding the rollers in the 20F degree attic in their parents home. Working on pedal technique, dreaming of the next season? Wool Sergel shorts and Ginny tee shirt. No HR monitor. No power meter. Just a light bulb hanging from the rafters and the smooth whirl for music.

saf-t
12-29-2017, 11:22 AM
My coldest commute was -4*.

NEVER doing that again.

mbrtool
12-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Any temp in single digits to -4F:
2 pairs of socks ..liner and heavy wool
45N Wolvhammer boots
Bonka tights
Shower Pass shell pants
Assos winter plus base layer
Rapha winter wool with hood
Assos 951 jacket
Shower Pass shell jacket with hood
Assos cap
RBH mittens with arctic liner
wool liner gloves

I'm good for about one hour and forty-five minutes

Ray

NHAero
12-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Some great info in this thread, thanks! The feet are the challenge for me. New Years Day is supposed to be 4F in the morning reaching a 14F high. I have a tradition of riding to the Aquinnah Cliffs, but it's usually 15-20F warmer. Trying to figure out the right bike and gear - don't think there is any way I'm going to get away with booties over cycling shoes so I think it means flat pedals. There won't be anyone else out there, so I guess I could throw some flats on the CAAD10 without being caught by the rules/coolness police!

BRad704
12-29-2017, 12:12 PM
It should be 11f when we set off for a 100k New Year's Day ride. I'll come back and post up what I end up wearing, but it'll be lots of layers. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2metalhips
12-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Chemical toe and hand warmers work really well.

beeatnik
12-29-2017, 06:10 PM
About a 40 degree delta (hi, pdmtong!) between 5am and 1pm so it was psychologically cold when I went out to climb one hill. But once on the road, a wool long sleeve jersey in 88 degree weather may not have been a good idea. Unless, it's engineered to work in varying temperatures. Catella, it's a sportswool, I think.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4737/38500934635_6c9ddb1c02_b.jpg

5 minute hill, 88 degrees at noon
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4601/39348925372_03df911bdc_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4642/38670517154_5483c78402_c.jpg

PaMtbRider
12-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Lake boots and Pearl Izumi lobster gloves kept me cozy today with temps in the hi teens. 35 miles of gravel with 5,000 feet of vertical let me know my fitness has slipped with the holidays and colder weather.

weisan
12-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Waited till noon before I head out for my ride today. 47 degrees. 3 hrs. Easy.

Craft inner garment long sleeve
Wind stopper jacket
Long tights over bib short
Costco gloves
Wool socks
SPD mtn shoes
Merlin Ti cross bike / 35 mm tires

Can't argue with success and what works, ended up wearing the same setup riding with a friend today for about 32 miles except I was on the other Merlin, the Agelis. The temp. was slightly lower, at 43 degrees, still felt comfortable and cozy in those layers. I will probably do the same for the group ride tomorrow.

chrismoustache
12-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Low single digits this past week in Pittsburgh. Commuted in old LL Bean wool trousers, Giro New Road T shirt jersey, Patagonia R1, Old Pendleton shirt, Micropuff pullover hoodie, clear safety glasses, and this real great R1 lined softshell hat I have. It has a little brim, fits great under a helmet. One of the best hats I've every come across.

BobbyJones
12-29-2017, 10:22 PM
I wrapped myself in a subway car today. Worked perfectly.

simplemind
12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
great R1 lined softshell hat I have. It has a little brim, fits great under a helmet. One of the best hats I've every come across.

Is that hat still available (assume from Patagonia)? How old is it?

oldpotatoe
12-30-2017, 08:29 AM
You folks are brave.

On a sunny day I can eventually get down to a T-shirt and leg warmers.

Feels quite a bit like riding outdoors, but I can avoid most of the prep before and after.

And avoid those painfully cold fingers and toes. :crap:

Is that what it is? 32 degrees is my cut off, and Cold, wet, windy?..if get 2, I don't even bother. Riding is keen and all but it's supposed to be fun. When I ride and get 'ice cream headache', by just riding..I have better things to do(like 4 wheelsets in the que).

R3awak3n
12-30-2017, 08:35 AM
well well well, its snowing again here in upstate (mid state to some) new york.

Gummee
12-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Rode the other day when it was in the low 20s as a high.

Bib knickers (Sugoi this time) = extra layer over the knee
mid-90s polypro tights
Castelli mesh base layer
Castelli merino mid layer
Shimano softshell jacket
Castelli gloves (the warmest ones)
Lazer Z1 Fast
PI ear band
PI booties w merino socks

Only thing that got cold were my toes. ...well... sorta. Overdressed and got sweaty. Then a little chilly till I went harder. Then sweaty. Then chilly. Repeat till my toes got cold enough to wander home.

Probably headed out here in a few to ride on the snowy (or whatever they are right now) roads for a bit on either the SSCX or the rigid 29er

M

Frankwurst
12-30-2017, 10:29 AM
-15 today. If I go anywhere it will be to a bar for lunch and a beer. Then I'll come home rev up the fireplace, make a big drink and research the cost of living in a warmer climate. It's gonna be a long winter.:beer:

thwart
12-30-2017, 10:38 AM
... I have better things to do (like 4 wheelsets in the queue).

The aged spud has finally mastered aerobic wheel-building...

;)

jamesdak
12-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Well, yesterday for a 34 degree ride I wore my insulated tights over my bibs instead of leg warmers. Up top was 3 layers of Merino wool. Lightweight gloves with a windbreaking mitten piece over the fingers.

Gummee
12-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Little warmer today.

Tried an experiment: shoes, oversocks, then a pair of POC rain booties. It was a qualified success. Toes still got cold, but I was out longer before it happened.

HTH

M

Ralph
12-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Hi 40s. Cloudy, but little chance of rain. Undershirt vest under a short sleeve summer riding jersey, arm warmers, and light jacket. Tights over riding shorts, and toe covers over shoes. Glove liners under regular riding gloves. Beanie cap with helmet. Sun glasses and sun screen. In Florida.....sometimes a cold start winds up being a warm late morning. Have to be able to take off layers.

GonaSovereign
12-30-2017, 01:54 PM
This pile of stuff went on...
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4726/24528109147_600f635d86_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DnsYiz)

... so I could ride in this kind of stuff.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4729/38685571304_c29d223128_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21WvEyG)

chrismoustache
12-31-2017, 08:42 AM
I don't think so @simplemind. I try to find them online every once in a while, but rarely have any luck. Pretty sure I got them 5+ years ago.

I just searched somewhat deep and couldn't even find a pic of the hat. I imagine it had a short run.

Bonesbrigade
12-31-2017, 09:08 AM
-26 Celsius. 1697952027

NHAero
12-31-2017, 10:26 AM
What's on your feet?

-26 Celsius. 1697952027

Bonesbrigade
12-31-2017, 10:29 AM
What's on your feet?

45N Wolvenhammers purchased big with 2 pairs of wool socks. Warm feet!

NHAero
12-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Just two of us on the Sunday morning MTB ride. My partner rode rigid 4.8 fatbike. I wore two pairs of socks in some XC ski boots but after 1-1/2 hours my toes were getting cold. Bottom was bike shorts, lycra tights, heavy tights, wind pants. Top was Rapha long sleeve wool underlayer, pile jacket, soft shell jacket. Ibex wool liner gloves inside Marmot Thinsulate gloves. REI pile balaclava inside windproof cap. Scott snow goggles. All good except toes.

commonguy001
12-31-2017, 11:44 AM
-17 F in Minneapolis this morning so I put on bibs and a base layer and did 100 on zwift with the Bear Mountain Training Ride group.

berserk87
12-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Did an hour and 20 minutes yesterday at 10 degrees with a 15mph wind. The biggest problem was the roads, which were drifting over in some areas a bit. I rode my 29'er with studded tires. The studs work great when they can bite into something, but deep snow is still iffy. A fatback would be the obvious next step for this, but it's not in my budget.

Wore my Rapha Winter Windproof jersey with an Assos Early Winter base layer. Gore windproof knee warmers with Peal Izumi AmFib bib tights over. Wool socks and Endura MTB shoe covers. Black Diamond wool base gloves with Marmot gauntlet shell gloves. Gore windproof cap on my dome.

Keeping up an effort was good for warmth. At times I could not do that, and noticed at bit.

The only issue I had with warmth was my thumbs. They hurt like someone was squeezing them in a vise, but it tolerated it.

I need to get outside at least once a week. I don't do well, in terms of mental health, without it. The trainer is not good for me that way. I hate it.

Hobine
12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
I hear you on the mental health bit. Need to get outside at least a few times a week, cheaper than a shrink.
I have a 25 year old pair of winter bike pants that still work well. Wool socks and Lake MX303 shoes. For the top, a Nike Pro Combat or other “dry” type of fabric, a thin wool long sleeve and an old Columbia soft shell big enough to wear my Camelback under to try and keep the water in liquid form. I don’t buy much cycling specific stuff. I find it way overpriced and not really any better.
Biggest problem is keeping the face warm without fogging up the prescription glasses. Usually I end up pulling off whatever’s covering up my face and rely on the beard. Today it was more like a block of face ice.

Gummee
12-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Bless me Paceline for I have sinned: the mid-teens deg F temps convinced me to sit on the couch today.

The siren song of warmth, food, and the idiot box did me in.

Hope to ride on the 1st day of the new year. My birfday* ride is likely to be a short one. The weather guessers are saying snow and sleet on Thurs.

M

*since my birfday is 1/4 I've decided that I'm going to ride my age in minutes if its nasty, KM if its OK, or miles if its nice out.

Bob Ross
12-31-2017, 04:36 PM
12°F with a 15mph wind from the north-west yielding a wind chill/"Real Feel" of 1°F ...but, because I'm an idiot -- and because I wanted a nice round number for my yearend mileage total -- I went out for a short ride on the road bike.

Did I mention I'm an idiot?

- Early Winters Furnace Shirt base layer
- heavy fleecy long-sleeve cycling jersey
- Assos Airjack 851 jacket
- Primal quilted vest
- PI bib shorts
- Performance winter tights
- wool sock liners
- wool socks
- Answer winter cycling boots
- Performance Toasties neoprene toe covers
- no-name balaclava
- Sugoi tocque (sp? It's a freakin' hat)
- helmet
- Assos glove liners
- Specialized SubZero two-part cycling glove (so, 3 gloves total)

And after ~70 minutes my fingers and toes were still freezing!!! fts

beeatnik
01-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Chilly 50 this morning meant an extra layer. Knowing that an hour into the ride the temp would climb 20 degrees, I had to choose my protective layer wisely. Went with the Catella Lowe Vest. And since I haven't been shaving my guns I was fine with the fantastic Catella Griffith Bib Shorts. LA sucks for built environment beauty but it's great for coffee.

Oh, Sugoi arm warmers are legit.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4594/27680955859_fca37f8120_h.jpg

https://abloc.la/

GOTHBROOKS
03-25-2018, 03:16 PM
in the same sense that your helmet straps are tucked into your sunglasses. do you wear your socks underneath your leg warmers? or do you show your socks off outside of them. like, whats the right way to do it?

AZR3
03-25-2018, 03:29 PM
So glad I live in the desert, it was a beautiful 58 to start my ride this morning....of course I’ll hate it summer and the nights only cool down to the low 90s :mad:

oldpotatoe
03-25-2018, 04:46 PM
So glad I live in the desert, it was a beautiful 58 to start my ride this morning....of course I’ll hate it summer and the nights only cool down to the low 90s :mad:

60 degrees today and not even in the desert...beautiful and CALM in spite of a front coming(rain domani)....

Ralph
03-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Shorts, short sleeve jersey, arm coolers/UV blockers, and sweat band.

Gummee
03-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Went mtn biking with some buddies. Dressed like a road ride and baked in the woods: Castelli Free knickers, Garneau tights, Castelli seamless sleeveless base and a 150wt Smartwook mid later w Bontrager 'windproof front' jacket (forget the name).

Got out of the woods and got cold 'cause I was sweaty under all that grinding up the hills.

Aaah well. Spring will spring in the DC Area at some point!

M