PDA

View Full Version : Compass Cayuse Pass 26c tyres

jinbok
12-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Any experiences out there?
It's hard to find good reviews on them..
It's a pricey set of tyres and looks great though!

https://www.compasscycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Tire700x26CmSX_1766.jpg

beeatnik
12-27-2017, 08:19 PM
To paraphrase Craig Gaulzetti, these are the tires the pros would ride if they could choose their own tires for not going fast.

cachagua
12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Let's remember to take Craig Gaulzetti with a shovelful of salt. Does he even acknowledge the existence of tires bigger than 23c?

I will say this: the bigger Compass tires I've ridden, the more better they were. Chinooks-->kinda good, Bon Jons-->almost cocaine. Is it because in the smaller sizes, there's more competition? Only a few other ridiculously-nice tires in 35c, even fewer if you want bigger still. Or is it because their philosophy of ideal tire character suits a larger size better?

My ownself, when I want a skinny tire, I ride Vittoria. If the Compass 26s and 28s were under thirty dollars, I'd be all over 'em, but for the price I think you can do about as well with a half dozen other brands.

Gabuyo
12-28-2017, 04:48 AM
I've used the 28c Compass Chinooks and its predecessor Grand Bois Cerf.

For comparison, I've ridden these cotton casting clincher offerings:
25c Open Corsa SC
27c Open Pave CG
25c Corsa G+
26c & 28c Turbo Cotton
27c Challenge Paris-Roubaix

and the Compass tires are my favorite as far as ride quality. They are the most supple and the most plush.

ripvanrando
12-28-2017, 07:20 AM
I have a set.

My trainer bike wears it on the rear.

Clancy
12-28-2017, 08:41 AM
I had a set, ride beautifully but prone to cuts/flats. The ride is the same as far as my butt can tell to a set of Vittoria Open Corsa's in 27c that I have. The Compass's were thrown in when I bought a frame. For the price I'd look to see if I could still find some Open Corsa's on sale somewhere.

I think Wiggins had them on sale and Competitive Cyclist has them on sale now? The OC's. I stashed away two sets in 27c

I'm a big fan of Compass tires and credit them and Jan for pushing the open tubular concept and bigger is better. But they're a small company that produces in small batches via Panaracer so the cost is high. There are options out there now that I believe are as good, Vittoria being one such option.

ERK55
12-28-2017, 09:36 AM
I have a set of the 26’s.
No flats yet but only a couple of hundred miles on them.
They seem to ride OK, but....they run narrow. At least mine do, closer to 24mm mounted on “traditional” width rims.

sparky33
12-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I've used the 28c Compass Chinooks and its predecessor Grand Bois Cerf.

Same here.
I found the Chinooks to be more long lasting and run true to size. The 28 Cerf was a smidge oversized and wore through more quickly. Both are wonderful road tires for a bike that fits them. The black Chinook Extralight is my main road tire.

jinbok
12-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!!
This is awesome.

Hilltopperny
12-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Running cerfs I found on ebay right now and they are awesome. Had a pair of the Chinook pass El and they road amazing as well.

hummus_aquinas
12-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Mellow JB! I have a pair of stampede pass if you wanna holler at them. I'll bring them tomorrow if you're gonna be at the store tomorrow..

belopsky
12-28-2017, 01:27 PM
You could get 26mm cerf directly from Grand Bois.
Shipping is not a lot.
http://www.cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/T700_F26_SS.html