PDA

View Full Version : RE Park Tool CBP-8 Power Tq crank arm removal

Ralph
12-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Since I still have square taper cranks on my bikes....haven't paid much attention to discussions about modern cranks. But have noticed some interesting "deals" on left over Centaur Power TQ 10 speed cranks....especially the Power Tq triples (30-39-50).

I know the double Potenza and I assume the new 11's Centaur have self extracting arm, but the original Power Tq's need a puller. And the pullers not cheap. So expensive in fact...at least for a double....makes more sense to just get a UT, and forget the puller.

But here is the question.....don't you still need a bearing puller on any of them? (at some point) Including the UT models? It's not like you don't need the tools at all. And...the crank I'm thinking about does need a puller. So might as well get the whole Park CBP-8 kit....right? BTW...Park seems to hint the current puller is "beefed" up over original version. That so?

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Since I still have square taper cranks on my bikes....haven't paid much attention to discussions about modern cranks. But have noticed some interesting "deals" on left over Centaur Power TQ 10 speed cranks....especially the Power Tq triples (30-39-50).

I know the double Potenza and I assume the new 11's Centaur have self extracting arm, but the original Power Tq's need a puller. And the pullers not cheap. So expensive in fact...at least for a double....makes more sense to just get a UT, and forget the puller.

But here is the question.....don't you still need a bearing puller on any of them? (at some point) Including the UT models? It's not like you don't need the tools at all. And...the crank I'm thinking about does need a puller. So might as well get the whole Park CBP-8 kit....right? BTW...Park seems to hint the current puller is "beefed" up over original version. That so?

11s Centaur is UltraTorque, not PT ala Potenza or older Veloce, Athena, etc.

And yes, good bearing puller, I use a modified gear puller. Remember, wee snap/c ring on RH crank above bearing.