PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Toe Covers?

veggieburger
12-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Anyone have thoughts on silicone toe covers? I use neoprene exclusively, but recently saw some POC silicone covers that looked interesting. Did they keep your toes warm? Make your feet sweat? Do nothing at all?

Thx!

m_sasso
12-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Been looking to try these for some time, there was a company out of Australia called TwoWheelCool making them however they seemed to have gone out of production as I could never find them anywhere.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2014/08/review-twowheelcool-toe-cap-cycling-shoes/

http://cdn.bicycles.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/twowheelcool_road_racing.jpg

Where did you see the POC covers? OK, thanks found them, defiantly want to give these a try! Don't know why these took so long to show up again, certainly will be more durable than neoprene. May not be as pliable, elastic and stretchy so likely important to get the proper size as to not restrict blood flow. Also may provide a lower insulating value than neoprene however likely more H2O resistant.

Jenson's has them for $15.00, deal!

AngryScientist
12-27-2017, 02:40 PM
seems like a good idea.

to my mind, the main purpose of toe covers is to keep the wind out. most road cycling shoes are designed to flow as much air as possible to keep your feet cool in the summer, shutting off that airflow is what toe covers are really meant for.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Anyone have thoughts on silicone toe covers? I use neoprene exclusively, but recently saw some POC silicone covers that looked interesting. Did they keep your toes warm? Make your feet sweat? Do nothing at all?

Thx!

“Toesers” I have some from Giordana, sure, help a little but if it’s that cold, just use booties, if it isn’t, do ya really need them?

Imho, of course ‘pal’...:)

Jaybee
12-27-2017, 02:55 PM
I’ve used velotoze in the past. IME, They do block the wind and make a noticeable difference in 40-50 degree temps for about 90 minutes max. After that, my feet are getting sweaty and cold. Also, plan on a new pair every 15-20 rides if you leave them in place, less if you remove and reinstall between every ride.

Overall, I found some value in them because I was tired of taking protective over socks on and off for every commute trip for 3 months. Your weather and specific use case may vary.

m_sasso
12-27-2017, 03:01 PM
The Velotoze are way to thin for daily use, they are like "emergency" disposable construction, the POC appear to be much thicker and durable, designed for every day use.

Hey Nancy!, :bike: Booties are overkill on many Vancouver chilly, rainy with fender days and lucky to get half a season out of most neoprene foot coverings.

ptourkin
12-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Thx!

I have the POC. No problems with sweat. They keep the wind off. I've left them on in more decent conditions and they were fine. Wore them in the 20s in Nevada this year with no complaints.

silentlight0
12-28-2017, 01:13 AM
gonna look these up. sound pretty useful. thanks for the post.

Alan
12-28-2017, 04:10 PM
When its really cold I wear neoprene toe covers under boots and it works great. Rode a few days ago at 25 deg and was good for 2 hours. I use Pearl Izumi boots that are great as they breathe very well.

Alan

veggieburger
12-28-2017, 09:09 PM
I have the POC. No problems with sweat. They keep the wind off. I've left them on in more decent conditions and they were fine. Wore them in the 20s in Nevada this year with no complaints.

Ok...thx. Maybe I'll give them a shot. Thanks!