PDA

View Full Version : What's up with these nipples?

BRad704
12-27-2017, 12:57 AM
Looking at buying a set of Shimano M960/965 hubs locally and building a second set of cross/gravel wheels. They look just like these but I'm confused by the nipples being on the hub instead of the rim.

Can I still build this like a normal wheel?
My hubs wouldn't come with any spokes or hardware.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/8c292b48ac478dd17f18e7fd5134a923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kontact
12-27-2017, 01:04 AM
I've built and trued a fair number of this type of wheel, and they are mostly a pain. You use straight pull spokes and either special rims with tiny spoke holes or some sort of washer to make the head big enough to not pull through a standard rim hole.

I assume you would need some sort of conversion crib to calculate spoke length or a rule of thumb.

Gummee
12-27-2017, 08:26 AM
That set of hubs wouldn't be my first choice for a rebuild. Large PITA.

Too bad 'cause they're pretty good hubs.

M

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Looking at buying a set of Shimano M960/965 hubs locally and building a second set of cross/gravel wheels. They look just like these but I'm confused by the nipples being on the hub instead of the rim.

Can I still build this like a normal wheel?
My hubs wouldn't come with any spokes or hardware.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/8c292b48ac478dd17f18e7fd5134a923.jpg

Those are proprietary hubs mated to specific wheels using unique spokes. I'm guessing you could use some sort of more conventional nipple at the hub with a straight pull spoke and then a spoke washer to anchor at the rim but yee gads, not sure it's all worth it. The original wheels has the spokes anchored via little washers into the side of the rim. A dumber design I have not seen.

ergott
12-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Money saved on hubs cost will be lost on custom spoke cost and labor. Sure it can be done, but better hub deals are out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
12-27-2017, 08:57 AM
i'm going to have to agree with the others, that yes - it can be done, but probably not worth the hassle, especially if you're not a seasoned wheelbuilder looking for an interesting project. the reason you're probably seeing these hubs for a nice price is that the seller knows they are part of a proprietary wheel system and arent worth as much as a normal "universal" hub.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 09:06 AM
i'm going to have to agree with the others, that yes - it can be done, but probably not worth the hassle, especially if you're not a seasoned wheelbuilder looking for an interesting project. the reason you're probably seeing these hubs for a nice price is that the seller knows they are part of a proprietary wheel system and arent worth as much as a normal "universal" hub.

Yup, and unfortunately in shimano's philosophy of 'designing in a triangle', the innards of these hubs aren't compatible with any other hub...I think titanium axle? But threaded, 146mm length..I guess used in other, older MTB hubs..

BRad704
12-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. You just saved me some cash AND I learned something.

I was pretty pumped until I found that pic of the built wheels.

ultraman6970
12-27-2017, 09:49 AM
When you thought campagnolo wheels could be PITA, shimano took the price.