PDA

View Full Version : Is this crank screwed in far enough?

Llewellyn
12-26-2017, 10:25 PM
I'm rebuilding my Llewellyn and I've screwed the left 9 speed Ultegra crankarm on as far (and as tightly) as I can but I'm not sure it's as close to the left BB lockring as it should be. It's an Octalink BB and I'm confident that the cranks are lined up with the axle splines correctly but I wonder whether it should be sitting about 1 or 2mm closer to the BB (the drive side one looks fine). I've attached a picture and am hoping others can chime in with thoughts whether it should be closer and, if necesary, any ideas on how to screw it on any more without wrecking something. Thanks.

avalonracing
12-26-2017, 10:54 PM
If I remember correctly the Octalink pretty much bottoms when it is done threading. If you didn't have it in the grooves I don't think it would be nearly this close so I would think it's okay as is. Just make sure to snug the bolts up after a ride or two.

quickfeet
12-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Looks right to me, how far out it sits depends on the spindle width. You could measure the distance between each arm and the chain stays if you want to get weird about it.

Cat3roadracer
12-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Looks good to me.

Llewellyn
12-27-2017, 12:13 AM
Cheers guys - that's what I was hoping to hear.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2017, 08:45 AM
I'm rebuilding my Llewellyn and I've screwed the left 9 speed Ultegra crankarm on as far (and as tightly) as I can but I'm not sure it's as close to the left BB lockring as it should be. It's an Octalink BB and I'm confident that the cranks are lined up with the axle splines correctly but I wonder whether it should be sitting about 1 or 2mm closer to the BB (the drive side one looks fine). I've attached a picture and am hoping others can chime in with thoughts whether it should be closer and, if necessary, any ideas on how to screw it on any more without wrecking something. Thanks.

Grease on BB splines and tighten it till it stops, is the drill..Once the splines 'bottom', no way to move it closer, but ya don't need to..that looks OK to me.

Jeff N.
12-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Looks fine. How's the other side look, can you tell?

AngryScientist
12-27-2017, 09:03 AM
nice lug! i heart llewelyns. one day i will have to add one to my stable.

anyway, the others covered it. sounds like you got it right. only other thing you can do to test is crab the pedal end of the crank arm and apply some load in all directions. if no play at all - you're good.

Veloo
12-27-2017, 09:14 AM
That's how far I remember my 9 speed Ultegra NDS crankarm going in.