PDA

View Full Version : My new idea for pre-new year's resolutions

swalburn
09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
As soon as I typed the title of this thread, I realized it made no sense. However, that is the way I want it. I'm having one of those days. I keep getting home from work around six, and the lack of daylight is driving me insane. If I can't ride for a couple hours, then I just don't feel like going out. (I know I should just buy a nice light) Anyways, I've done a nice job losing some weight this summer, and already see myself falling into some bad habits. I am one of those people who hate cooler weather and the lack of daylight that is associated with it. I tend to mope and become lethargic when the weather gets cooler. I weighed myself the other day, and despite my best effort to start pouring on winter fat, I have managed to maintain a weight of 206. I haven't been under 200 lbs since 8th grade. I dropped about 20 lbs this year, and over a 110 over the last 5 years. I decided I am going to start a group of anyone who wants to post there weight on this forum each Sunday. I welcome everyone on this forum to mock and ridicule me if I start to put on the pounds. I'm already a fatty, and am hell bent on losing some more lbs. before New Years instead of after. Anyone else who wants too, feel free to post your progress or lack of progress. I don't care if your a fatty or a skinny You can even include your weekly mileage if you want. I understant this makes no sense, but like I said I'm having one of those days. I welcome everyone to make their first entry on Sunday, October 1. That will give everyone exactly 3 months until the new year. I'm hoping my opening myself to public humilation that I will find the motivation I need.

If this idea is somehow against a serotta forum policy, then I apologize and ask everyone to ignore my thoughts.

Sandy
09-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I actually like the idea. I think that I am in on this. Pretty sure. I lost 20 pounds in a very controlled and sensible diet, but have gained it back.

Sandy

PS- You are really fat and UGLY too! Oops, I am suppose to wait until after this begins and you we start posting our weights. :) :)

swalburn
09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
IT is never to early to start the motivating. And to be honest, I ate way to much junk today. ( I did do a hour on the rollers though).

Karbon
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
It's dark about 7:00 here. The worst thing is it's not light until 6:30 (in a ride without lights kind of way, and before then is way too suicidal. If there were deer, we would have bigger road kill than the skunks). I *try* to ride in the morning, even if for an hour, and again at lunch. When it gets too dark for a safe morning ride, I'll take a longer lunch and ride 2hrs then. I love flex time.

I lost 10lbs in the last two weeks, and I'm at 204lbs right now (thanks Honey!). I was 170lbs a couple of years ago (thanks Honey!) and I want to be back at 180ish before the Palm Springs Century.

My new steel Nago was my winter "I WILL ride" gotcha to myself, and any kicks in the @55 I get here will only help.

:beer:

billrick
09-26-2006, 07:57 PM
I know this has the potential to degenerate into a forum competition, like the legs contest ;) , but I think it is a great idea! This is a difficult time of year for me, too. And I am coming off a pretty good year. A year and a half ago, I had my hat handed to me on a mountain bike trip to Utah. I was 225 and could not catch my breath while carrying my bags through the airport! I set a goal of riding a mountain bike 100 in 2006 and gave up ice cream. (Egads, the horror!) I worked my butt off to get to the SM100. I DNF'ed, but in the process of getting there, I lost 20 pounds and rode more than I have anytime since college. Now I'm trying to stay motivated and keep my miles up to complete my first brevet series in 2007 and FINISH the SM100. So yes, I'm in.

jchasse
09-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I like the idea.

I'll play. I'll take any kind of motivation I can find!

1st weigh-in: Oct 1.

Ginger
09-26-2006, 11:47 PM
I may play this game...I may not. However, for those of you who do, and have no clue about calories in vs. calories out and aren't about to do a lot to find out?
www.fitday.com
Simple, and you can log in and record that last candy bar you ate from just about anywhere.
If nothing else, keep track there for a week and see how many calories you're eating before you start. You may be surprised.

Good luck!

davids
09-27-2006, 08:08 AM
...and it is the New Year - The Jewish one, anyways...

I like the idea of setting a new set of goals at this time of year. My schedule changes significantly at this time of year - Summer's over, I'm riding less, and I have to change my exercise routine and priorities.

My goals are just a little bit different than yours - I want to maintain my weight, even as I burn fewer calories, and I want to work on core strength and flexibility, along with maintaining some semblence of strength and form in the saddle.

I've got 30-45 minutes, 3 mornings a week for the first goals, and 30-45 minutes, 2 mornings a week for the second. And I still get one decent ride on the weekends.

I'm interested in people's recommendations about what I should be doing.

I don't know if I'm eligible to play, but I thought I'd weigh in (heh heh) with my thoughts, anyways...

swalburn
09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Everyone is welcome. To be honest I have goals similar to yours, but I additionally want to keep dropping pounds. I need the fear of stepping on the scale each week to stay motivated. Possible ridicule should also be a good motivator. Moreover, I think I may be able to pick the brains of the other participants about a good way to stay fit and sane over the cooler weather months.

Ginger
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Walkies

The great underestimated exercise. Three miles a day helps. If nothing else it keeps you from eating that next doughnut 'cause that's another three miles worth of walking. I mean...what's another 10 minutes on the trainer, I gotta walk three miles to get rid of those calories?

znfdl
09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Swal:

Your post was perfect timing, as it was just the Jewish New Year, therefore just switch to the Jewish calendar and start your New Year's resolution. :D

spiderlake
09-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Great idea! We were talking about a similar concept at work today as a way to stay motivated through the winter. During that discussion, we came up with an idea to get some trainer rides in during the workday since it will start getting dark at 5PM. The plan is to keep the trainers under our desk, book a conference room during the lunch hour and break out a spinerval DVD. The only downside will be hauling a bike in the winter but the plan just might work. I also suggested X-country skiing or snowshoeing during lunch but not everyone enjoys the snow as much as me.

alembical
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I have been trying (unsuccesfully) to lose just a little more weight while getting ready for the ski season. All I wanted to lose is 5 pounds and I know I should not complain, but it has been real tough. The worst part is that I have put on about 4 pounds in the past month, so now, I want to lose 9 pounds.

Last week, I started using that Concept II rower that some of the forumites spoke highly of (William? Too Tall?... I don't know) and holy cow did I get my butt kicked.... big time. It seems like it would really help you just get in shape, lose weight, strengthen your core, get in bike shape (I know...only biking...), and just about whatever else you want to do. I have also tried to run more as a way to lose some weight although that may not coincide with bike training.

Anyway, while we might all have different goals, I think we can all get inspiration from others to just exercise more and eat healthier.

Alembical

Edited to add: comment about running and how in the hell did I get over 600 posts? Someone must have highjacked my account

GoJavs
09-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Stop buying bikes and stop losing weight - I've lost 23 lbs so far (still going) and it looks like Goodwill's going to end up with about half of my clothes.

Fat Robert
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
i've got a simple goal:

do everything you guys say not to, and end up fast anyway

i'm going to gain muscle mass, run 4-5 times a week (if my feet and knees can take it), and ride my trainer in the morning on the days i run.

i'm going to get up to 170, and get faster in the tt and the sprints. hills are for suckers.

bcm119
09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I lose weight when I don't ride, because my appetite isn't as great. I never stay off the bike long enough for that trend to reverse, but I'm sure it would eventually.

I don't ride much in Sept. at all, just some occasional jaunts in the woods. For me, this time of year is for hiking, camping, backpacking, and drinking a ton of beer and wine. I could barely lift my recycling container last night, and it was the 'colored glass only' one. This is my time of year to wind down, enjoy the other things I'm into, and not be obsessive about the bike.

Karin Kirk
09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm in. I like the potential ridicule as a form of extra motivation!

I've taken the past 2 weeks off completely as a time to just chill, eat lotsa cake and do some projects around the house. Soon I will start ski training in earnest and I thought I'd try taking some time off before just switching gears from one sport to another. In past summers this has not been an issue because I haven't been very structured with my riding, so there was no danger of burnout. But this summer I rode a lot more found myself way into riding again. What fun! But hence, the need for a little downtime now.

Oct 1 sounds like a good date for me to hop back on the bandwagon.

znfdl
09-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Count me in as I need to lose 15lbs by next June.

billrick
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey, if anyone is concerned about posting your actual weight, just post your baseline number as "0" on October 1. If you gain 3 over the week, you'll be "+3" on October 8. If you lose 3, post your weight as "-3" for the week. Come January 1, I bet you will be at "-10" or so. You'll get the positive peer pressure with none of the silly, unrealistic, pop-culture-induced body image shame. ;)

Looking forward to this one. I'll be posting my weekly weight along with some crazy winter ride reports. I'm setting up my 29er mountain bike as a fixed wheel scorcher, so look out DC!

:bike:

Sandy
09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Do I have your permission to start with a baseline number of -100, so that come December, I will appear to have done the best job?? :rolleyes:

Slim Svelte Skinny Sleek Sandy

billrick
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Do I have your permission to start with a baseline number of -100, so that come December, I will appear to have done the best job??

No problem, Sandy! We will be on the same Serotta Forum Honor System that we used for the sexiest forumite legs competition . . .

:D

Sandy
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
My weight is 225.

Sandy

swalburn
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Alright, a little background before I post. My weight has been all over this week. I was 206 on Tuesday Morning and 204.5 after my workout. Then two days later I was 211. I weighed 207.5 yesterday, then I worked out and ate pretty healthy. Anyways, I'm probably carrying a little water weight now, but the scale says I weigh 211 as of this morning. Final weigh in will be on December 30 of this year which is a Saturday I believe. That way we all can have good time on New Years Eve. Additionally, the 30th is my 30th birthday. One of my new years resolutions was to be 190 when I turned 30. I was about 225 when I made my resolutions so I'm definitely behind schedule. My weight loss goal for the week is four pounds, only because I'm weighing a little bit heavy right now. Moreover, I'm doing a century on Saturday (colorburst in lowell) and I don't want to cheat myself too much this week.

Sandy
10-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Seems like I am 14 pounds more than you, little fellow. I actually started my diet the day after I posted my thread on depression. A few days ago, I was closer to 230 than 225. But that is ok. You need to have a little advantage at the start, as I am going to whip you and everyone else, big time, in this weight loss deal. :)

Salivating Starving Sandy

Ginger
10-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Alright. I'll play.

Today 152.

Do I have to post a goal for December 30?

Sandy
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Alright. I'll play.

Today 150.

Do I have to post a goal for December 30?

Your goal is 225. Hence, if I lose one pound, I will weigh less than you! :)

:) Slim Sandy :)

Ginger
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh hey...don't curse me.

Goal overall 130...I suspect I'll be around 135 come December 30.

djg
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Dude

I don't feel free to mock your weight or your battle with it. First, it's your own business. Second, it sounds to me as if you're fighting the good fight. Third, although I might not survive a 110 pound drop in weight, I've certainly fought the bulge here and there myself, and I know that circumstances can make the battle a challenge at times.

My own New Year started just about a week ago. For cycling fitness, nothing really beats cycling. By all means invest in a light (and a rear blinkie)--I'm already using one on my commute, and while the latest greatest torches represent a chunk of change (not that they're not worth it), you can find halogen lights bright enough for most conditions that really just don't cost much at all as cycling gear goes. The closest substitutes to riding on the road are stationary cycling training--rollers, trainers, spin class (this last is not your bike, and not quite your position, but it is pedaling and the music and company may help), etc. If you don't have access to these, there are all sorts of ways to cross train that, while not cycling specific, can help burn calories, keep the lungs working, etc. Find something you like. And look for opportunities to take stairs rather than elevators. You'll be fine.

Ginger
10-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Hmmmm....I have the light. Have the blinkies. Have the clothes for any weather (all weather is good weather). Have the trainers have the tunes have the tv and vcr. Am off the bike for another 4 weeks. :crap: Doctor's orders.

Walkies. Lots-o-walkies. As tolerated. Stairs whenever I find them.

billrick
10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Alrighty, my October 1 weight is 205 lbs.

My January 1 goal is 191 lbs. (We are playing the Price is Right rules, correct?)

I'm riding to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, going to the gym on Wednesdays, and doing one long mountain bike ride on the weekend. Plus I have been adding trail running to my schedule.

:)

jchasse
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Here we go.

Oct 1 weight = 176 lbs

billrick
10-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey, Znfdl, Karin, others, where are you? Are you in?

bostondrunk
10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmm

Ginger
10-02-2006, 09:24 AM
You know...lasagne is good as long as you don't eat the whole pan of it.

alembical
10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
October 2, 2006 - 198 pounds

March 1, 2007 goal - 185 pounds

Seems simple enough.

Alembical

sc53
10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I really want to lose 20 lbs! 15 would be really nice too. I'm riding in to work as often as possible (when I don't have hearings) and trying to watch the calories. I'm 165 and 53 yrs old. It's hard to lose at my age. But I'm going to keep trying! I have some good rides planned for this fall, and the bike commuting will add in some miles too. MUST AVOID broken bones this winter.

GoJavs
10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I've actually lost 26 lbs in the last three months. I need to slow it down. Half my clothes don't fit already. My goal for the next 6 months is to translate some of that lost weight into new muscle weight...! :)

mscott
10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I need to get in on this. Any motivation positive or negative. I need to lose at least 20 pounds. I just got a new bike as incentive to ride more. As we are coming into the winter and holiday season soon, any reason to not eat crappy food and exercise more is good. Let the fun (?) begin

mscott
10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Oops forgot Oct 1 weight = 181 pounds

mikemets
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm in...

Oct. 1: 186 lbs
Dec. 31 goal: 173

Sandy
10-02-2006, 06:50 PM
How often are we suppose to post our new (hopefully) weight?

Sandy

swalburn
10-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Every Sunday until the New Year. Good Luck

Lincoln
10-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Nice goin' Javs.
Good luck everyone. :banana:

swalburn
10-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Here is the number...208. I did a metric century and ate like a pig afterwards, so again I'm a little bloated. For the most part I ate pretty well this week. I have no more organized rides for the year, so it is time to start getting stronger and skinnier.

Sandy
10-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Starting Weight- 225

Weight today- 221
Change- -4

:) Somewhat Slimmer Starving Sandy :)

mikemets
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Oct. 1: 186 lbs

Oct. 8: 185 lbs (on the DL for cycling, will have to watch my
diet more closely :crap: )

*good going Sandy :D

Ginger
10-08-2006, 09:12 AM
October 1 152
October 8 148

Dec 31 goal: 135

The first five are easy. *sigh*

Karin Kirk
10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry, I've been out of town and off the forum. Check this out - I left for this trip at my summer low of 144, which I'd been at for all of Sept. I came home after 6 days of minimal exercise and eating out at every meal and now I'm at 148. Yuck!

Dec 31 goal 146 (basically I just want to stay the same), BUT starting now I want to re-engage in high-intensity workouts at least 3x per week. If I do that the weight thing will be no problem.

Thanks for the group therapy here!

-Karin

billrick
10-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Last week: 205 lbs.
This week: 205 lbs.

Welcome to my winter rut! I rode twice last week for a total of 40 miles. I thought I was doing the Seagull Century but the rain and 30 mph winds convinced me to stay in bed. I did two trail runs last week and was chased by an off-leash German Shepard. That will get the blood pumping.

Sandy
10-15-2006, 06:59 AM
October 1- 225
October 8- 221
October 15- 219

December 31 goal- 205

:) So Slightly Slimmer Still Starving Sometimes Salivating Serotta Sandy:)

Ginger
10-15-2006, 07:41 AM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147

Hey...where is our fearless leader?

mikemets
10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Oct. 1: 186
Oct. 8: 185
Oct. 15: 183

* at least I'm not going in the wrong direction, yet :rolleyes:

swalburn
10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Oct 1 - 211
Oct 15 - 207

Sandy
10-15-2006, 08:53 AM
So where is Karin's weight? She must still be eating!! :)

Skiing Sandy

Karin Kirk
10-15-2006, 11:16 AM
So where is Karin's weight? She must still be eating!! :)

Skiing Sandy
HEY! It's not even mid-morning yet. Too early for heckling, esp on a Sunday.

Oct 8: 148
Oct 15: 146

Dec 31 goal: 146

Workout goal: 3x per week.
Workouts this week = 5 (3 road rides, 1 cold MTB ride, 1 trail run)
All is good. Got the new running shoes and everything!

Wow - everyone else is doing great! Nice job to all! :)

billrick
10-15-2006, 12:54 PM
October 1- 205
October 8- 205
October 15- 204

Dang! I've got to get serious about this. I did find FitDay.com this week and that was a wake up call. (Thanks, Ginger!)

A beautiful autumn day here. We just made the mad dash to the Dupont Circle farmers market in DC (a huge bunch of beets w/ greens for $2.50 - SCORE!) and now I'm walking out the door to ride mountain bikes at Rosaryville State Park in MD. Life is good.

Sandy
10-15-2006, 01:10 PM
You better get serious! If I continue to lose weight and you hover around your present weight, I could possibly weigh less than you by December 31. Could you handle that emotionally? I doubt it. You would probably go on an eating binge and wind up at 304.

Sensitive Starving Serotta Sandy

billrick
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Okay, I'm officially fired up! Goal for the week - three pounds.

Rode 9 miles of singletrack yesterday. Would have done more but I was behind a group of eleven horses. Was covered in enough horse doo to kill my appetite for the evening. A new diet plan?

You won't catch me Sandy!!! (Though you are kicking a$$!)

You better get serious! If I continue to lose weight and you hover around your present weight, I could possibly weigh less than you by December 31. Could you handle that emotionally? I doubt it. You would probably go on an eating binge and wind up at 304.

Sensitive Starving Serotta Sandy

mscott
10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Oct 1 - 181
Oct 8 - 183 Oops!
Oct 16- 181

Not what I was looking for when this started. Goal wt - Oct 31 - 176!

Sandy
10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Okay, I'm officially fired up! Goal for the week - three pounds.

Rode 9 miles of singletrack yesterday. Would have done more but I was behind a group of eleven horses. Was covered in enough horse doo to kill my appetite for the evening. A new diet plan?

You won't catch me Sandy!!! (Though you are kicking a$$!)

Sure I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, but now I only have four fingers left!! :)

Always right,

Sandy

swalburn
10-22-2006, 06:57 AM
OCT 1 - 211
OCT 22- 207

I actually had a pretty good week. We had two potlucks at work this week, and i was sure I gained about 3 pounds. I was very disciplined the rest of the week. I'm actually starting to use a little will power on the weekend.

Sandy
10-22-2006, 07:02 AM
October 1 225
October 8 221
October 15 219
October 21 220

My brother was in town and I ate a couple of big meals. Back to a much stricter week...

Stricter Sandy

Kevan
10-22-2006, 07:52 AM

mikemets
10-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Oct. 22: 183*

*too much apple pie, well it is the season around here :rolleyes:

dbrk
10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I should be in on this but vanity still prevents a look at the scale. I go entirely by clothes fit, as in, "if I can get into these then..."

Vanity it was, not fitness that sent me down the road again. I was being driven back to Paris after having my arse handed to me in a sling from riding from Beauvais to Caen this summer and, feeling old, fat, and always a bit vain, I asked Peter who manages ProTours UK how Michele Ferrari, the Italian doctor whose camps he runs, how he tells riders to lose weight. Not gain fitness, not do anything sensible, just lose weight. "Simple," he said, "ride more and eat less." "How much less?", I asked. "As little as possible." There is nothing sensible in this and there is all sorts of data to suggest the million reasons this is a bad idea.

To heck with reason or data or bad ideas. So for a few weeks in July and August I "went out on a cracker." This is my euphemism for riding having eaten as little as possible and carrying a Powerbar only to stave off the bonk. I ride about three hours at a good Finger Lakes pace (it's not flat here!) and sweat like crazy (a bit over dressed) and then when I got home I would drink a ton of water, replenish with a little Emergen-C powder crap, and try to eat as little as possible. Oh, and then I'd take some Hoodia (as in, who do ya' think yer foolin'?) because I need all the placebo and motivation I can get. I've dropped three pants sizes and can get into my 32 waisters again. I've lost more since the Ramble in August by continuing this stupid idea. Victory by bhinging on nothing.

This may not work in the long term. It may be terrible for your health but just the opposite has been the case: no illness and I feel a million times better. I would not recommend this.

But I have the metabolism of a tortoise and the appetite of a hyena, blessed however with the digestion of a crocodile and the patient discipline of spider. I love food. I love fatty, delicious food including junk food and I make no moral, nutritional, health related bones about it. I also hate the gym, hate "working out" because it is work, not fun like riding, and hate being fat. So this is my plan. It works because the proof is the weight loss when nothing sensible was working. I didn't pay for that advice but I took it.

dbrk

Ginger
10-22-2006, 08:48 AM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148

Douglas,
Starvation isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it does work. Problem is when you stop that version of weight loss, you gain quite a bit back on.

Up until 5 years ago, as long as I exersized, I ate like a pig and didn't really have much of a problem loosing weight. Key there is I was an undiagnosed Celiac and as long as I was eating oatmeal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner I was damaging my small intestine and not getting the nutrients out of my food.
Now that I *am* getting the nutrients out of my food, I've found that my body is VERY efficient at storing anything that comes through. I suspect it's from those many years of a sort of starvation.

And it is apple pie season here too...I only made one...but I'm the only one here to eat it (I should think these things through a little more and make them to take to work or something...Yeah...that's it...) And I'm still not on the bike, but I hope to get onto an elliptical trainer or some such in PT this week. That should help.

Karin Kirk
10-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Oct 8 = 148
Oct 15 = 146
Oct 22 = 144

Dec 31 goal = 146
Workout goal 3x/week at a minimum
This week = 3x, barely.

I'm not sure why I lost a couple of pounds this week, I certainly didn't deserve to. Maybe it's just muscle mass wasting away. It rained or snowed every single day since last Sunday, and all I could manage for exercise was running three times, which I didn't really enjoy.

Goal for this week is to add weight training or core strength training of some sort to bring the total number of workouts to 5x/week.

NOW... there is an entire cheesecake downstairs (someone's b-day cake!) and now that I've done my weigh-in it's time to gorge myself! :)

billrick
10-22-2006, 05:51 PM
October 1- 205
October 8- 205
October 15- 204
October 21- 202

Slowly making progress. I'm just glad I'm not gaining, which is my routine this time of year.

mscott
10-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Oct 1 181
Oct 7 183
Oct 14 181
Oct 21 178

Fat Robert
10-22-2006, 06:36 PM
oct 1 165

oct 22 170

looks like some of what you're losing is coming down here

what's weird is i'm faster now

swalburn
10-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Oct 1 - 211
Oct 29 - 207

I've been pretty good most of the week, but I always seem to have some epic moment of weakness when I eat anything in sight. On the good side, I have been doing of a good job of working out at least 4 or 5 days a week on the rollers. I really need to get more focused and more serious. At least I'm not gaining wait for now.

mikemets
10-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Oct. 22: 183
Oct. 29: 187

Ginger
10-29-2006, 08:59 AM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148
October 19 146

The past week sucked because my weight kept going up and up, all the way to 152. I've been really good about what I've been eating and drinking and working out and it was really frustrating...turns out somehow my scale 0 had gotten bumped up to 4lbs...recalibrate the scale to 0 at 0 and suddenly I weigh less.

Oh if it were only that easy on a daily basis.

Karin Kirk
10-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Oct 8 = 148
Oct 15 = 146
Oct 22 = 144
Oct 29 = 145

Dec 31 goal = 146

Holding steady on the wieght. My goal for last week was to do more and better workouts. I didn't really succeed. 2 rides, 2 runs, 1 hike, 1 lame attempt at doing some core strength stuff. Oh, plus lots of shoveling dirt and gravel for a big garden project. Does shoveling count as a core workout? If so, I met my goal, but I think that's kinda cheating.

This weekly posting is definitely helping me stay on task. I like that! Goal for next week: go skiing at least once, buy a balance ball thingie and start doing core exercises with that, and do at least 5 workouts/week.

Today it's going to be warm and sunny - and tonight we're supposed to get a winter storm with the high of 20 something tomorrow!

Fat Robert
10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
oct 29 -- 172

stop sending the mass down here.

i mean it.

swalburn
11-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Nov 6 - 208

I ate way too much junk again this week. I have been doing a good job working out at least 4 times a week.

Karin Kirk
11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Oct 8 = 148
Oct 15 = 146
Oct 22 = 144
Oct 29 = 145
Nov 5 = 148

Dec 31 goal = 146

Too much computer time and not enough outdoor time. The one major highlight though is that I went SKIING! I had a great workout on the skin up and felt a wonderful buzz from just being on the snow and getting my pulse up.

And somehow in my quest for the workout I forgot that skiing DOWN is actually a total blast! After the first few sketchy turns and linked recoveries, I felt superhuman awesome! It was a ball. Can't wait to go again, except that it's warm now. So I'll ride today instead.

I also purchased a pilates ball and did a few easy workouts with that. There is serious potential there, and now I need to add that into the routine.

Ginger
11-05-2006, 11:13 AM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148
October 19 146
November 5 148

My excuse is I had a cold and laid in bed and drank tons of tea with honey for two days to keep my throat tolerable...very light workouts.

But I think I see where my body thinks its set point should be...On the positive side I stayed under 150 for a month...old setpoint was 154. :)

mikemets
11-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Nov. 6: 184*

* not bad considering all of the Halloween candy I've had this week.

mikemets
11-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Nov. 5: 184
Nov. 12: 184

Kevan
11-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Nov. 5: 184
Nov. 12: 184

I'm not sure whether you're talking miles or weight.

swalburn
11-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Nov 13 - 209 I'm going in the wrong direction.

Ginger
11-12-2006, 09:24 AM
C'mon...get some resolve before we REALLY hit the holiday season! (said the yo yo) It's not looking good for me to hit my goal...but this weekly review does help....I think...

October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148
October 19 146
November 5 148
November 12 146

Karin Kirk
11-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Oct 8 = 148
Oct 15 = 146
Oct 22 = 144
Oct 29 = 145
Nov 5 = 148
Nov 12 = 147 (?) Scale was flaky

Dec 31 goal = 146

Finally had a decent week of workouts. 2 great trail runs, on par with my faster runs from last year. 2 pilates-type workouts, finally found a way to blend that with some of my usual pre-ski conditioning calisthenics to create a nice workout. Plus one session of rollerblading up and down a neighborhood hill. This is great skills training for skiing - much fun!

I also realized, finally, that it's OK if I'm not feeling uber-motivated right now. Last year I was really going strong in the fall, but I had only picked up regular bike riding in July, so I just carried that momentum straight through. This year, I had a long bike season and I see a long ski season looming. It's OK to chill and lie around in between the seasons. It's good to realize that!

swalburn
11-19-2006, 02:58 PM
11-19 - 209 I almost forgot to post this week. I am still in mourning over the Michigan loss to Ohio State. What a football game. I ate alot during the game and I didn't feel guilty once. I'll say it again, what a football game.

billrick
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
201 lbs, started at 205. I'm just glad I am not gaining!

GoJavs
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I've actually lost 26 lbs in the last three months. I need to slow it down. Half my clothes don't fit already. My goal for the next 6 months is to translate some of that lost weight into new muscle weight...! :)

I'm at 159 lbs. from 193 lbs. where I started. So, 34 lbs is not bad for 4 months. Now, I need to bulk up a little bit. I can feel bones everywhere that I didn't even remember existed! :crap:

Ginger
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148
October 19 146
November 5 148
November 12 146
November 19 147

See now most people have only the usual holidays to contend with...I almost didn't weigh myself this morning because of Friday birthday pizza and drinks and cake, Saturday mexican food and flan and OhowIhateohiostate game viewing ribs, chips, and wine...

Karin Kirk
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Oct 8 = 148
Oct 15 = 146
Oct 22 = 144
Oct 29 = 145
Nov 5 = 148
Nov 12 = 147
Nov 19 = 147

Dec 31 goal = 146

I call that we all take next weekend off to allow for some holiday indulgence! I won't be home anyway, so I already have my excuse pre-arranged.

manet
11-19-2006, 06:31 PM
October 1 152
October 8 148
October 15 147
October 22 148
October 19 146
November 5 148
November 12 146
November 19 147

See now most people have only the usual holidays to contend with...I almost didn't weigh myself this morning because of Friday birthday pizza and drinks and cake, Saturday mexican food and flan and OhowIhateohiostate game viewing ribs, chips, and wine...

manet
11-19-2006, 06:37 PM

swalburn
12-03-2006, 06:26 AM
December 3 - 209 I've shown some signs that I'm going to get my act in gear. I've been on the rollers alot and eating better. I'm getting the Kreitler killer head wind attachment, so hopefully that keeps me motivated.

Sandy
12-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't posted on this thread for a few weeks. Although I started very well, I am now doing horribly. Maybe it is like a drug addict- You must reach bottom before you climb out- That applies to me in both eating and cycling. I do almost no cycling and too much eating.

Sandy

Karin Kirk
12-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Well I survived the fall lull with the same weight, more or less, so that's good at least. I was totally undisciplined with my workout program though. But ski season is here and now it will be easy to stay focused.

This weekend we conducted our hiring for new ski instructors. We have hardly any snow so we were confined to the baby slope. As if that weren't bad enough, the lift was broken, so we had the priveledge of hiking up all day. It was actually just fine, but kind of pathetic at the same time.

So Sandy -- hang in there man! It's true that sometimes we've got to climb out of the holes in life. I hope your path takes an upswing soon. Keep your chin up.

swalburn
12-10-2006, 07:22 AM
DEC 10 - 209 - A pretty good week. I've been riding, and starting to lift weights a little bit. My diet has been getting better. For some reason, I always do better once the snow comes, and winter sets in. It also doesn't hurt that college football is over so I'm bored on the weekend. This in turn, gets me to the gym or on the bike. Also, once the Christmas season arrives, I can start thinking about SPRING. I'm starting to come up with my real new years resolutions and my training plan for the new year. Additionally, it is 20 days until I turn 30. It is frightening, and should be good motivation for me. When I turned 25 I went throught the healthiest phase of my life, and it lasted a long time. It is weird when you realize you aren't getting any younger. Anyways, I may keep this thread going through the spring. I'm going to start being more specific about my training staring with the new year, and will post how that is going along with my weight. Everyone is welcome to do the same. Good Luck to all!

billrick
12-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I haven't posted for a while but here is my update . . .

Gained 6 pounds in Scotland over Thanksgiving. Who knew that haggis and kilos upon kilos of mussels could be fattening? Actually, it might have been the curry or shallot cream sauce on the mussels. Hmm.

Since the return, I've dropped 2 pounds.

Net result - I am back to my original weight, 205 lbs.

:D

Ginger
12-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm not making my December weight goal. I'm still working on my core strength and I haven't been on the bike YET. I aM happy to report that I'm back down to 148. *sigh*

manet
12-10-2006, 10:57 AM

swalburn
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
211- Definitely not the best week. Christmas got me this week. Our neighbors gave us a box of cookies and fudge. Anyways, I'm getting excited for the new year. At least I managed to not gain a ton of weight since fall.

swalburn
03-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I decided to reply to an old one. The end of the year went very badly. By 1-02-07 I ballooned up to about 218. I've gone hard core since then, and am happy to report that as of last night I weighed 199. I've been riding alot and eating pretty well. I am very happy were I'm at for this time of year. I always lose 10-15 lbs during the summer. It is the first time since 8th grade I've been under 200 lbs. I was just curious to see how everyone else that replied to this thread has been doing.

Karin Kirk
03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
That is awesome news - keep up the good work! I bet you feel great, and thanks for sharing the good news with us.

I'm holding steady right where I want to be, thanks to a very active winter. Lately my stomach bothers me if I eat a lot at dinner, or if I eat too late, so I think this has helped me stay at a good weight.