PDA

View Full Version : what GXP BB?

R3awak3n
12-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Got some etap, got a red crank... I am new to sram. What BB do I want? I don't want the cheapest but also don't want the most expensive (dont need ceramics), whats a good BB I should look into?

Also what tool do I need? Regular BB tool?

FriarQuade
12-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Depends a lot on your frame. The standard SRAM GXP BB's are a reliable option. If you need a press fit option you might look into options from Kogel, Enduro or Wheels MFG. All of those can greatly mitigate creaking. For the tool side of things the GXP threaded cups will use the common 16 notch (https://abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/single-sided-bottom-bracket-socket) outboard bottom bracket tool. If you're going the press fit route you might need a proprietary tool.

NoMoreParagon
12-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Got some etap, got a red crank... I am new to sram. What BB do I want? I don't want the cheapest but also don't want the most expensive (dont need ceramics), whats a good BB I should look into?

Also what tool do I need? Regular BB tool?

Which BB shell you have? Then it will be easier to advise. I have bsa threaded and got Chris King Threadfit. Bit expensive but so far spotless. No creaks and solid.
Wheels mfct offers similar system with angular bearings at half price. So that’s a great option.

If you have PF30 system either Praxis or I am big fan of Wishbone. I don’t like praxis cause it’s prone to creaking in my experience.

R3awak3n
12-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Sorry i meant to say English shell

Jaybee
12-25-2017, 02:22 PM
The standard GXP bottom bracket is fine. Many happy miles on both of mine. Spend your cash elsewhere.

R3awak3n
12-25-2017, 03:05 PM
The standard GXP bottom bracket is fine. Many happy miles on both of mine. Spend your cash elsewhere.

yeah, I was looking at just a truvativ one, $30.

and no spending more cash. This is it, more more money for bikes, ever...

thegunner
12-25-2017, 04:11 PM
yeah, I was looking at just a truvativ one, $30.

and no spending more cash. This is it, more more money for bikes, ever...

:banana:

GonaSovereign
12-25-2017, 05:05 PM
SRAM/Truvativ will work just fine.

That said, I've been running GXp cranks in a BSA shell for several years, and have used:
SRAM
Chris King
HSC
Kogel.

The best of the bunch is Kogel, followed by King. HSC is nice in that it doesn't use an adapter to take up space for the stepped-down non-drive side of the axle.
The SRAM was obviously the most cost effective.

Luwabra
12-25-2017, 05:40 PM
I used sram for last 5 years road racing and then fitness ish riding and the sram gxp bb will be great. Cheap and reliable.

R3awak3n
12-25-2017, 08:20 PM
will probably get the sram :)