PDA

View Full Version : which new frame?

ls1togo
12-25-2017, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking of a new build project for the up coming few months and I can't quite decide on a new (to me) frame...I do want a lugged carbon frame..
I currently have a Ridley Helium, Serotta Legend Ti and a Colnago (88-89 Super)..a good mix....but N+1

I'm thinking about adding....
a) Look 585/595, ideally an Optimum ...or a
b) Colnago C40/50/59 (which?)

any advice?...ideas?...observations?...

Thanks

weisan
12-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Time

hollowgram5
12-25-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking of a new build project for the up coming few months and I can't quite decide on a new (to me) frame...I do want a butted carbon frame..
I currently have a Ridley Helium, Serotta Legend Ti and a Colnago (88-89 Super)..a good mix....but N+1

ThanksI think you meant lugged not butted, but I could be wrong.

But there have been a variety of Time frames up on eBay recently..

ls1togo
12-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Time

I know nothing about Time is there one which is comparable to those I mentioned?

ls1togo
12-25-2017, 11:27 AM
yeah, "lugged"

hollowgram5
12-25-2017, 11:31 AM
I know nothing about Time is there one which is comparable to those I mentioned?Here's an example:

eBay.com/itm/372080180456

ls1togo
12-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Here's an example:

eBay.com/itm/372080180456

too big, I'll be looking for a 54/55, but I see your example...

colbyh
12-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Festka Zero Lugged would be at the top of my list:

http://www.cycleexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/festka-zero-1.jpg

Followed by a Holland HC:

http://hollandcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/carbonhc1.jpg

The Holland reminds me of those BMC Impec models, but less...transformy?

FlashUNC
12-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Time VXR or VXRS.

R3awak3n
12-25-2017, 01:28 PM
If I was after a lugged frame I would def get a colnago. That festka looks amazing though.

Black Dog
12-25-2017, 01:33 PM
C59, if you like Colnago.

wallymann
12-25-2017, 04:00 PM
i know nothing about time is there one which is comparable to those i mentioned?

vxrs

there's also the parlee Z1.

oldpotatoe
12-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Time

ahhh 3:27...

fishbolish
12-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Time...
vxr or vxrs

Still my go to bike...

texbike
12-26-2017, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking of a new build project for the up coming few months and I can't quite decide on a new (to me) frame...I do want a lugged carbon frame..

Thanks

I've had a couple of 585s and a 595. They were all great bikes - smooth, comfortable, responsive, great handling, and wonderful build quality. I'm not sure that I would buy a 595 again due to the seatmast, but I would love another 585 in my size that had the factory clear finish. I would probably stick with the standard 585 and not worry about any of its variants.

The C40s and C50s are incredible as well. I currently have one of each and they are both fantastic bikes. I rode the C40 the day before yesterday and its probably my 2nd favorite bike (just barely behind a Vamoots). In addition to the C40/50/59/60, there are also the Extreme Power, EPS, and the Extreme C that are lugged and worth looking at.

I can't speak to any of the Times unfortunately, but hope to be able to do so in the near future.

Calfee is another lugged carbon option that seems to get consistently fantastic reviews. Every person I know that has one absolutely loves it and has had it for quite awhile. They may be worth looking into as well.

Good luck with your search. There are plenty of cool bikes out there.

Texbike

Climb01742
12-26-2017, 10:11 AM
A Colnago may be one of the bikes every rider should own at least once. Just to experience the ride. There is a 'planted' feeling that 'Nago geometry gives you that's special. I'm not sure I could argue that it's 'better' but it is a pretty unique feel when out on the road. Like you could hammer away for long stretches and just feel solid, sure, stable. I ride mostly solo, so maybe I value that more, but a 'Nago seems like something every rider should try.

old_fat_and_slow
12-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Aren't the 585's becoming a bit hard to find? I like to surf the bay a lot, and I can't remember the last time I saw a 585.

Colnagos C40's/C50's are still "relatively" available.

bikinchris
12-26-2017, 05:18 PM
IF Corvid.

sales guy
12-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Between the ones you listed, I would still pick a Time frameset. For carbon. I've ridden someone the ones listed- Look and Colnago. I like my Time VXRS better.

For something more equivalent, get a RXR/S. If you can find one, get one of the Bettini VXRS frames.

adub
12-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Festeggia l'italia

Colnago C59

yashcha
12-26-2017, 06:40 PM
If you can find one in good condition, the 2005-6 Time VX Edge can be had for about $5-600 for the frameset. The frameset, including headset, weigh in about 1400 grams, and these things are made in France. You can shed a little bit of weight by ditching the OEM TIME post and stem.

My bike built with modern Campagnolo is right around 15.5 pounds, is a tremendous bike for the money.

Also, the C40 must be one of the best framesets made. There was a interview with Wiggins where he claimed that the C40 was the best bike he had ever ridden. He was riding for SKY-Pinarello at the time so that video was yanked pretty quickly.

ls1togo
12-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Great Feedback!...even though, of course, subjective, the real world experience and comparisons of the respondents is beyond helpful!...It certainly opened my eyes to Time bikes and although the pickin's are slim, really no less supply than the other brands.
After some research, it seems like Time may fit my needs/lust as well as, if not better than the look's/colnago's/calfee's/parlee's..we'll see..
With regard to some of your observations, the ISP isn't a distraction as I have one on my Ridley Helium and I like it fine, so its a non issue. And as far as scarcity, some are and some not so much...the real issue is size, right now there are a goodly number of large 56cm and bigger available and I'm looking for 54/55cm.
There are certainly wide spreads in pricing, frame condition and color considerations (I already have too much black :))

So we'll see what I come up with...Thanks to all for your comments!..the Time enthusiasm was unexpected but now welcome...

eippo1
12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with any of what has been mentioned before. Having worked at a shop during that era, I was able to throw a leg over many of the bikes mentioned. They all rode quite nicely with nuances. Actually found that the Times would just disappear beneath me, but on the other hand loved the racey feel of the Extreme Power. Actually found a Bianchi 928L on here that rode quite similarly to a C40 that I passed along in the the forum after riding it a couple years.

It'll all probably come down to be the best thing that you can find when you are ready unless you have a huge, huge amount of patience.

ls1togo
12-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with any of what has been mentioned before. Having worked at a shop during that era, I was able to throw a leg over many of the bikes mentioned. They all rode quite nicely with nuances. Actually found that the Times would just disappear beneath me, but on the other hand loved the racey feel of the Extreme Power. Actually found a Bianchi 928L on here that rode quite similarly to a C40 that I passed along in the the forum after riding it a couple years.

It'll all probably come down to be the best thing that you can find when you are ready unless you have a huge, huge amount of patience.

Lol!,..judging from the responses, my continued research and the frames, bikes listed on EBay and elsewhere, you're right..there's a variety out there albeit mostly larger than I need so it'll will depend on when, where, what, size and color...hmmm, Bianchi is another!, my 1st bike was a Giro..I used to lust after a 928 L'Una!!....wait a minute!..my goal is a lugged carbon frame!..:)

KidWok
12-27-2017, 06:01 PM
The C40 and C50 were the last two on my "grail" list. They didn't disappoint. Grail bikes for me need to have level TT's, standard HT and BB, 72.5-73d STA, and =/<73d HTA, so there hasn't been much else since the C50 that has really appealed to me. I got rid of my Look 481 SL because the HTA was steeper than I wanted, even though I enjoyed everything else about it. I was very tempted to try out the 585/595 since they went to a 73d HTA.

That said, the reason why those two were my grail bikes was because I knew Colnago's 62 cm geometry fit me perfectly after owning the Master X Light and an Oval Master. Both of those rode stiff and felt overbuilt, much like the Merckx MX Leader I previously owned. I hoped for, and got, the perfect ride qualities and handling with the C50 and Star fork.

To that end, I would comment that your pursuit of an ideal bike should be focused on performance and fit attributes rather than a specific model.

Chasing performance attributes also led me to a used Gunnar Crosshairs with Waterford fork acquired here. I had owned three different Gunnars prior that and became a fan of the OS2 tubing and Waterford fork. Then the frameset that combined all the things I wanted came along. In spite of having a lot of really nice bikes come through the collection, the Gunnar is probably the one I gravitates towards the most, and is arguably one of the least expensive bikes I own.

Tai

Thanks

huck*this
12-27-2017, 06:39 PM
I usually don't try to venture off from what the OP is looking for but good god is this beautiful!

http://hollandcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1.jpg

Andreas
12-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Time

1st response got it right.

wc1934
12-27-2017, 07:55 PM
ahhh 3:27...

time has come today
https://www.google.com/search?ei=iU5EWvSkMOKjggeClI24CA&q=time+the+chambers+brothers&oq=time+the++brothers&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i7i30k1l2j0i5i30k1l2j0i7i5i30k1l3.21642.21 642.0.27315.1.1.0.0.0.0.74.74.1.1.0....0...1c.1.64 .psy-ab..0.1.74....0.xASo9iMPa_c

MrCannonCam
12-29-2017, 06:01 PM
I had a 585 and currently have a C40 and the Colnago is superior imo. More compliant in my eyes. Best road bike I've ever ridden, it'd be the only bike I would keep if I could only have one...

dddd
12-30-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm with KidWok in suggesting that your patience with getting the very best fit should be your top priority.

I am long-legged for my height and must pay attention to headtube height or be saddled with a tall stack of spacers, so when a lightly-used (and freshly crashed, lol) Colnago CX-Zero turned up for a grand with 6800 I jumped.
I loved the bike's handling but did lose some of the bike's steering prowess (i.e. effortless cornering) when I changed the stem from a 100 to a 110.

I always try to consider how a frame's angles will affect both fit and handling, since the seattube angle affects reach to the tune of almost a centimeter per degree!
And the headtube angle definitely affects how long of a stem will give the degree of steering ease that I am after (steeper headtube angle needs a longer stem and vice-versa). As I said, the 110 stem on my CX-Zero with it's mere 72.5-degree headtube angle no longer supports the magic-steering feel that I experienced with the 100 stem.

I will second the recommendation of considering the California-built Calfee as a possible best frame. They don't spend a fortune supplying bikes to pro teams these days but their frames never cease to improve and their quality is second to none. I still have #022 of their early production, from the days when Greg LeMond was riding Calfee bikes in the Tour de France, and there has never been anything about it that I don't like. I even like the looks, honestly their webbed lugs are better by design than most riders would imagine.

Don't forget to look at Parlee as well, another great American frame maker.