PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Zwift to do an FTP?

makoti
12-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Thinking of doing one of the FTP tests. Thinking of using Zwift to do it. I usually use PerfPro with my Kicker & either use the set up version or build in a 20min block at .25% grade.
I'm wondering how Zwift handles it? I'm guessing it turns off ERG mode for the "free ride", 20min test but does it still run you up & down hills? I do mine inside to avoid that. Can you choose the course or does it do one based on the fact you're testing? Does it seem to be pretty close to other tests you've done?
Don't want any surprises when the time comes.

Macadamia
12-22-2017, 07:47 PM
You can set a flat course to do it on. When it comes to determining ftp the "free ride" portion shows the constant calculation of your average power over that 20 minutes.

ceolwulf
12-22-2017, 08:28 PM
It doesn't use the terrain for FTP tests. So course doesn't matter, pick one you like the scenery of. I think it's probably as accurate as any other 20 minute test. Of course make sure your trainer is calibrated.

laupsi
12-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Trainer Road has specific FTP programs, including warm-up/cool down

Mzilliox
12-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Yeah, and it was pretty accurate compared to my pM test.

Ken Robb
12-22-2017, 08:51 PM
I am so out of it! I have NO IDEA what this is all about. Oh well. Merry Xmas! :banana:

djg21
12-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Thinking of doing one of the FTP tests. Thinking of using Zwift to do it. I usually use PerfPro with my Kicker & either use the set up version or build in a 20min block at .25% grade.
I'm wondering how Zwift handles it? I'm guessing it turns off ERG mode for the "free ride", 20min test but does it still run you up & down hills? I do mine inside to avoid that. Can you choose the course or does it do one based on the fact you're testing? Does it seem to be pretty close to other tests you've done?
Don't want any surprises when the time comes.

You “ride” the course, but do not feel elevation changes. You elect the FTP test you are doing from the menu of workouts. My recollection is that you do not get to also select the course you will be riding on. I’ve only done the 20 minute test.

I always test worse indoors. I’m sure it’s a mental issue for me. But it seems close enough and provides a baseline to use on Zwift. Why don’t you try it and see what you think? In the worst case, you test again in a handful of days using your other software.

makoti
12-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. After posting I did some more searching, and found that some had issues getting the resistance high enough to put out the watts WHILE USING A KICKR (no other trainer was mentioned), which confuses me. I'd expect that it sets to a mid resistance level & you adjust your gearing.
So, to narrow it down a bit, Kickr users - any issues like that? Go to do the test part & spin away, unable to get the watts to climb?
I really would like to do it with the change of scenery, even if it is fake.

gone
12-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I've never done a specific ftp test on Zwift but the Epic KOM on Watopia is definitely much longer than 20 minutes of climbing and you can use gears to maintain (or try to maintain) whatever wattage you are shooting for. When you finish your ride it will tell you if you've set a new ftp number or you can look at the ride stats (I think it gives 1, 5 and 20 minute power numbers in the ride summary) and use that as your ftp.

bewheels
12-23-2017, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. After posting I did some more searching, and found that some had issues getting the resistance high enough to put out the watts WHILE USING A KICKR (no other trainer was mentioned), which confuses me. I'd expect that it sets to a mid resistance level & you adjust your gearing.
So, to narrow it down a bit, Kickr users - any issues like that? Go to do the test part & spin away, unable to get the watts to climb?
I really would like to do it with the change of scenery, even if it is fake.

You could always do a pre-test and see what it is like. Don't worry about the results of the test. Just set it all up, start it, play around during the "test" so you get a feel of what it is going to do or not do. Once you know what is going to happen, pick a day and do the real test. Trying it for yourself beat all the internet info.

dem
12-23-2017, 07:14 AM
KICKR is just fine - Zwift works just like TrainerRoad or PerfPro when in "Workout" modes (aka "ERG" - when the power is controlled by the software, not by the virtual terrain.)

Or you can just do an all-out 20 minutes at any time and that will also work - the actual "test" is just a prompted version, there's a video of it going down here:

https://zwiftinsider.com/how-can-i-measure-my-ftp/

unterhausen
12-23-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm not happy with trainerroad's ftp test on a kickr. It puts the trainer in "slope" mode at a much lower resistance than what was used in the warmup. So then I have to shift, and guess what gear to put it in so the first minute is wasted messing around. They told me that I could put the trainer back in erg mode using the wahoo utility. I am not sure why they just don't have an erg mode test where you can mess with the resistance using the plus/minus adjustments.

I suppose this is an issue with anything other than a program where you can make your own profile.

false_Aest
12-23-2017, 10:21 AM
I remember thinking that riding hard for 20 minutes on my Kurt and then looking up the power/speed curve was too complicated.

makoti
12-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Just did it. It worked as advertised. The warmup is in erg, and the main part of the test was in whatever you call it when you pick the gear & create the wattage. I have to admit, it was kind of nice to have some sort of scenery passing as I did it, but man was it annoying to get passed like I wasn't moving when I was in the middle of the test. No respect, I tell ya!