PDA

View Full Version : Cassette expander - any good?

d_douglas
12-22-2017, 01:02 AM
More MTB questions: I need to get bigger gears on my MTB on the cheap. I have a SLX 1x10 group now with an 11-36 cassette. Rather than buying a new group, is it worth looking into one of the many cassette expander a that get up to 46t rear cogs? They seem pretty costly, but maybe better than a $300 new RD/chain/shifter/cassette?

I thought it's been discussed here but I can't find it....

pcxmbfj
12-22-2017, 06:06 AM
To do a Oneup or Wolftooth 40t or 42t add on a 1x10 is well worth the effort in my experience.
If your cassette is SLX drilling the rivets to remove the 17t cog is required and reversing the B screw in my case.
The Oneup website has adequate instructions.
The cost of a SunRace or other 11-42 cassette is almost as cheap at around $70 as another option.

BikeNY
12-22-2017, 07:47 AM
In order to convert to bigger rear cogs with 10 speed, you will also need a Goatlink thingy, I think that's what they're called. Spaces the derailleur down so it can get to the new big cog. If you want to stick with 10 speed, the biggest you can go is 42t. Instead of the extender cog, I would suggest a whole new Sunrace cassette, like this one:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=76307&category=534

It's cheaper than the extender cog, and you get a whole new cassette, and shifting works great without any weird jumps like you can get when using an extender cog. Keep in mind, you will probably need a new longer chain as well. And a clutch derailleur is a good idea too.

I ran these kind of setups a few years ago, but when the prices came down, I made the switch to 11 speed, and it works much better with a bigger range. I'd suggest sticking with Shimano so you don't need a new freehub body. You will need a new shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette. SLX stuff is very solid and works great, maybe step up to XT for the shifter if you find a good deal. With smart shopping, you can do it for under $200 these days, a worthwhile upgrade if you ask me.

Edit: Just went to Universal cycles to price it out, and it's cheaper than I thought. SLX cassette & rear derailleur, XT shifter and SRAM 1130 chain comes to $171. I'm sure you can get even better deals on Ebay or elsewhere.

NHAero
12-22-2017, 07:59 AM
I went the 11-40 Sunrace cassette route and found that by reversing the b screw on the 10s XT derailleur I didn't need a Roadlink and it shifts fine.

pcxmbfj
12-23-2017, 02:40 PM
i went the 11-40 sunrace cassette route and found that by reversing the b screw on the 10s xt derailleur i didn't need a roadlink and it shifts fine.

+1