PDA

View Full Version : OT: Good Holiday Gifts?

mistermo
12-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Non-cycling gifts. Anyone buy anything particularly cool that those of us without gift ideas might find useful as we enter the last minute rush?

cmbicycles
12-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Found these for my sister...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171221/5377861c9ea7ad0507513e3bf5e51ba7.jpg

Idris Icabod
12-21-2017, 12:01 PM
I’ve bought tile key finders for a few people because I judge them on myself and I’m a complete dumbass when it comes to keys:

https://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_campaign=830750117&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=240689963004&utm_term=tile%20key%20finder-e&adgroup=41981676406&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhc_4pdeb2AIVBqrsCh13LQl7EAAYASAA EgJcjvD_BwE

MattTuck
12-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Obviously, gift giving is a personal thing and the receiver of the gift is important to consider. Also, not sure if you're looking for physical things to put under the tree and open on christmas, or if you're open to experiences, which can be a little more esoteric. Also, you didn't specify an age range you're looking for. My list skews toward experience type stuff.

That said, a few things in a few different price categories.

skin moisturizer, face wash, etc. (I'm partial to some of the stuff from Ursa Major, my MIL and mom both really like crab tree and evelyn) A starter pack for Harry's shaving might make sense for a young man.

instant cameras -- like the old polaroids. These can be fun to capture the event and share tangible pictures with people in real time.

Small drones - For kids, and adults alike, a small drone can be a lot of fun. they have a short expected life time, but a pretty good return on a $20 investment.

DNA test - These have been a big hit with my wife's family the past year. Lots of new relatives have been found through these. As well as more insight into their ancestry. Some privacy concerns for me, but I think it would be interesting, and I've considered doing the NatGeo Geno 2.0 kit that is supposed to give you more information about your distant ancestors.

Time with a personal stylist/image consultant - This sounds kind of stupid, but can be a very valuable gift to give someone. If they already have good style, probably a waste. But for most of us, it can be a big help. (this can range from true image consulting -- figuring out what kind of image you want to project, to helping someone pick out matching and well fitting outfits) Great for someone who is graduating, making a career change, taking a new job, unemployed, etc.

Food tours - I find the value of these to be questionable, as they've gotten touristy. But if you can find a good food tour, they can be a lot of fun and you learn quite a bit. If the person you're giving for likes food and cooking, also consider a cooking class.

Gift certificate for framing and a photoshoot. I'm not sure what michael's is charging these days, or a local frame shop, but framing is often times much more expensive than getting a photograph printed. There are usually photographers (think part time folks, similar to how Peter does wheel building) that you can get for not much money to do a photoshoot for someone (either for their social media, for professional purposes, family photos, posterity, etc.) This could be a nice little gift and have a near professional level product that hangs on the wall for a long time.

Escape room -- People have different feelings about these.

Building/making something - My wife just recently went to a glass blowing class. Just two students and the teacher, who is a professional glass blower. She made a plate and an ornament. She said it was really fun and would do it again. There is a company up near me called Shackleton Thomas that does a table making event (you pay money and then come and assemble the table over the course of a weekend, have a big dinner event where all the tables are put together to form a long table, then take the table home with you). Could be a cool group gift. I'm sure there are also pottery, carpentry, maker space type events.

I personally like learning things -- so going to lectures or book talks can be fun. But also, if you can weave learning into other things, that is even better. I'd love to go on a hike with a geologist or someone who studies trees, or take a tour of a city with an architect or historian. I know some museums offer more detailed tours than what you typically get from walking around.

Graphic designer/illustrator to make a personal or family logo and have it printed on stationary.

MattTuck
12-22-2017, 11:45 AM
thought of one other cool gift, depending on the person and where they live. There is this paint (one brand is IdeaPaint) that can turn a regular wall into a dry-erase board.

For students, home office people, maybe even kids, could be cool.

I realize my gifts are not that cool :(

hummus_aquinas
12-22-2017, 11:51 AM
I made a donation in your name to the Human Fund.

Fishbike
12-23-2017, 08:35 PM
I made a donation in your name to the Human Fund.

Happy Festivus

godfrey1112000
12-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Obviously, gift giving is a personal thing and the receiver of the gift is important to consider. Also, not sure if you're looking for physical things to put under the tree and open on christmas, or if you're open to experiences, which can be a little more esoteric. Also, you didn't specify an age range you're looking for. My list skews toward experience type stuff.

That said, a few things in a few different price categories.

skin moisturizer, face wash, etc. (I'm partial to some of the stuff from Ursa Major, my MIL and mom both really like crab tree and evelyn) A starter pack for Harry's shaving might make sense for a young man.

instant cameras -- like the old polaroids. These can be fun to capture the event and share tangible pictures with people in real time.

Small drones - For kids, and adults alike, a small drone can be a lot of fun. they have a short expected life time, but a pretty good return on a $20 investment.

DNA test - These have been a big hit with my wife's family the past year. Lots of new relatives have been found through these. As well as more insight into their ancestry. Some privacy concerns for me, but I think it would be interesting, and I've considered doing the NatGeo Geno 2.0 kit that is supposed to give you more information about your distant ancestors.

Time with a personal stylist/image consultant - This sounds kind of stupid, but can be a very valuable gift to give someone. If they already have good style, probably a waste. But for most of us, it can be a big help. (this can range from true image consulting -- figuring out what kind of image you want to project, to helping someone pick out matching and well fitting outfits) Great for someone who is graduating, making a career change, taking a new job, unemployed, etc.

Food tours - I find the value of these to be questionable, as they've gotten touristy. But if you can find a good food tour, they can be a lot of fun and you learn quite a bit. If the person you're giving for likes food and cooking, also consider a cooking class.

Gift certificate for framing and a photoshoot. I'm not sure what michael's is charging these days, or a local frame shop, but framing is often times much more expensive than getting a photograph printed. There are usually photographers (think part time folks, similar to how Peter does wheel building) that you can get for not much money to do a photoshoot for someone (either for their social media, for professional purposes, family photos, posterity, etc.) This could be a nice little gift and have a near professional level product that hangs on the wall for a long time.

Escape room -- People have different feelings about these.

Building/making something - My wife just recently went to a glass blowing class. Just two students and the teacher, who is a professional glass blower. She made a plate and an ornament. She said it was really fun and would do it again. There is a company up near me called Shackleton Thomas that does a table making event (you pay money and then come and assemble the table over the course of a weekend, have a big dinner event where all the tables are put together to form a long table, then take the table home with you). Could be a cool group gift. I'm sure there are also pottery, carpentry, maker space type events.

I personally like learning things -- so going to lectures or book talks can be fun. But also, if you can weave learning into other things, that is even better. I'd love to go on a hike with a geologist or someone who studies trees, or take a tour of a city with an architect or historian. I know some museums offer more detailed tours than what you typically get from walking around.

Graphic designer/illustrator to make a personal or family logo and have it printed on stationary.

I wish I was on your gift 🎁 list
Unique, personal and all keepers
Exhaustingly festive

I give 💰 never had a return

soulspinner
12-25-2017, 07:03 AM
thought of one other cool gift, depending on the person and where they live. There is this paint (one brand is IdeaPaint) that can turn a regular wall into a dry-erase board.

For students, home office people, maybe even kids, could be cool.

I realize my gifts are not that cool :(

I think they are very good Matt..........

eddief
12-25-2017, 09:03 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gift-wrapped-horse-manure-prompts-bomb-scare-us-074208136--abc-news-topstories.html