PDA

View Full Version : Check your bikes every now and then

tuscanyswe
12-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Today as i was riding down a pretty steep hill my front canti brake came loose. The right side of the front pair just fell of with a loud snap as i was applying the brake. My rear brake is not very good, its more of a speed modulator so i was really lucky that no cars or other objects were in the way before i could come to a halt (at the end of the hill) with my foot doing its best version of land anchor.

I guess the shutter and vibrations had loosened the bolt enough for it to finally come all the way out on this decent. I should inspect the bike more often (esp the brakes) but this time of the year its pretty hectic to be a courier so i come home and neglect bike care as im bit fed up with bikes for the moment .)

I know most know this (i guess i did to) but its easy to forget / neglect especially on your "less prestine" bikes. Could have been bad. Stay safe!

bobswire
12-21-2017, 09:48 AM
I think most here are anal about their bikes, I know I am and I'm always cleaning after a ride, changing wheels depending on terrain etc. Looking at my bikes such as they are you'd think I seldom ride them but the opposite is true. But good advice anyway.

OtayBW
12-21-2017, 11:21 AM
I think most here are anal about their bikes, I know I am and I'm always cleaning after a ride....Whoa! Be careful with how you use the word 'most'. I am indeed anal about cleaning my chain after every ride (2-minute wipe down keeps it shiny and silent), but I shore don't "clean it" after every ride. Just saying....:cool:

eBAUMANN
12-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Glad youre ok! That must have been a pretty scary moment...
Good thing youll be rolling around on discs soon enough! Heh

I usually sell my road bikes before they can get dirty enough to require anything more than a wipe with a rag ;)

CX bikes...I dont think ive ever done more than just hose em off.
I have dirt on mine that is 2-3 years old at this point and somehow...they still work! :eek:

MTB...yea, never. Maybe hose/river if muddy.

I won't even mention my commuter(s).
:p

Tickdoc
12-21-2017, 11:55 AM
I usually sell my road bikes before they can get dirty enough to require anything more than a wipe with a rag ;)

:banana:

jischr
12-21-2017, 11:56 AM
I spin the wheels and hit the brakes before each ride as a check. That practice might have shown the canti as loose. Or maybe not.

tuscanyswe
12-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Glad youre ok! That must have been a pretty scary moment...
Good thing youll be rolling around on discs soon enough! Heh

CX bikes...I dont think ive ever done more than just hose em off.
I have dirt on mine that is 2-3 years old at this point and somehow...they still work! :eek:

MTB...yea, never. Maybe hose/river if muddy.

I won't even mention my commuter(s).

Yeah lucky. exactly! The road bikes i take great care of as they are idd loved. This is my old canti beater work bike that i dont lock most of the time. But thats my point. Cant neglect inspection even on these bikes that are not your darlings. Things could go bad if unlucky. I too prolly have last winters grit on there :/

Theres is no joy in cleaning this type of bike (for me). Roadbikes i sorta smile when i wash and check things are okay.

d_douglas
12-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Yeesh, I almost never check this stuff. I just ride until the brakes feel terrible and the shifting sucks. Then I fix it.

It reminds me that I should clean my drivetrain more often.

dddd
12-21-2017, 05:46 PM
There should always be some kind of retaining goo on the threads of the canti or V-brake mounting/pivot bolts, especially since this is one of the pivots that occasionally turns up with a case of binding when the bolts are fully tightened. So sometimes they are left in a not-so-torqued condition, just to prevent binding.

The old Weinmann and DiaCompe centerpull calipers had the same sort of issue, once one of the bolts had seemingly been rather heavily over-tightened, so I always apply a penetrating threadlocker to the hex nuts at the back side of the assembled caliper.

Peter P.
12-21-2017, 06:26 PM
There should always be some kind of retaining goo on the threads of the canti or V-brake mounting/pivot bolts, especially since this is one of the pivots that occasionally turns up with a case of binding when the bolts are fully tightened. So sometimes they are left in a not-so-torqued condition, just to prevent binding.

Many cantilever and V-brakes, and bikes assembled with them, come with Loctite 242 or equivalent already on the threads. Yes; it's good, cheap insurance. No need to apply a lot (even OEM installs don't cover all the bolt's threads); even half of the length is plenty.

redir
12-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Yikes!