PDA

View Full Version : Retire to "The Villages" ??

johnniecakes
12-20-2017, 03:57 PM
I am about 15 months from retirement and looking into the possibility of relocating somewhere in the south where it is warmer. We recently visited my sons in-laws for a day who live in “The Villages” in central Florida. It is hard to get a read on a place in one day, especially from someone who only has positive things to say. At first glance it seems very attractive with lots of activities and opportunities to stay active. I was told there are even a few 50 meter pools with time set aside for lap swims. According to the weekly newspaper there are 2 cycling clubs with group rides every day of the week. So do any Paceliners live in “The Villages”? Anyone have first had experience that they can share?

Ralph
12-20-2017, 04:14 PM
I don't live there....live about an hour away. I hear lots of negative comments about The Villages from locals outside the Villages......like "all those new hospitals, sports facilities, bike trails, and roads are running up our taxes"....stuff like that......but not from folks who actually live there. I have heard some folks who live there who are golfers....that some of the courses are hard to get on when you want.....but generally.....folks love living there. it's a very positive place. Full of positive people staying busy. My wife and I love visiting there. I personally believe if you are the type of person who wants to retire to a busy lifestyle, who likes folks around a lot, who likes lot of sports and outdoor activities, who lives and thrives in places with some rules (for other people of course), you would love it there. BTW....cycling is great there. Rolling hills, and year around cycling weather...and some of those "old" guys can put a hurting on you. Move on down. Enjoy our weather and no state income taxes. And maybe live longer and better. All kinds of housing...relatively cheap. Part time job opportunities available as well.

And if you come....get rid of at least one vehicle...and get yourself a real nice golf cart.....that's all you need there mostly. Carts have their own roads. You gotta have a nice cart.

jlwdm
12-20-2017, 05:12 PM
I want to live in a community with a diverse age group, not in one that is all older people.

Jeff

dbnm
12-20-2017, 05:20 PM
My father is moving there in the spring. He is raving about the "community" and all the things to do.

Louis
12-20-2017, 05:21 PM
I want to live in a community with a diverse age group, not in one that is all older people.

+1 on this

Just a few days ago I was thinking that a moderately-sized college town in a geographical location with good weather and nice cycling would be perfect.

fa63
12-20-2017, 05:27 PM
I tend to agree, but having seen how social and happy both sets of my wife's grandparents are in their respective retirement communities, it makes one wonder...

Jeff

fignon's barber
12-20-2017, 05:42 PM
I live near Clearwater, about 90 minutes away. The Villages has a certain stigma attached, but, I don't no if I believe these things. I looked at Wiki stats: 98% aged 50+, mean age 66, 98.4 % White. As a 55 year old Caucasian, I personally prefer real world diversity.

steveandbarb1
12-20-2017, 05:50 PM
I need to be near water or least hills, we are retiring to the former on Narragansett bay, cold now but spring summer fall is wonderful!

glepore
12-20-2017, 06:22 PM
+1 on this

Just a few days ago I was thinking that a moderately-sized college town in a geographical location with good weather and nice cycling would be perfect.

Just made that decision, we're off to Charlottesville next fall, bought a house there last year.

beeatnik
12-20-2017, 06:37 PM
I live near Clearwater, about 90 minutes away. The Villages has a certain stigma attached, but, I don't no if I believe these things. I looked at Wiki stats: 98% aged 50+, mean age 66, 98.4 % White. As a 55 year old Caucasian, I personally prefer real world diversity.

FB, I like your style.

Wonder if these types of communities exist in other industrialized ("developed") nations or, more importantly, if they're culturally necessary. Time to text a pal who works in the geriatrics program at USC....

MattTuck
12-20-2017, 06:45 PM
no advice, but congratulations on the imminent retirement. Good luck :)

54ny77
12-20-2017, 06:55 PM
the upside is you'll finally be able to use a 53/39.

or even go old fashioned (no pun intended) and use a 52/42.

;)

fignon's barber
12-20-2017, 06:58 PM
FB, I like your style.

Thank you Beeatnik. That means a lot to me.

bthornt
12-20-2017, 07:18 PM
I recommend you google (or use any search engine) the villages.

I live in an "age restricted, active lifestyle" community in Jacksonville, Florida (a Del Webb community, if you know what that is). The Villages is (are?) located in (or near) Ocala, Florida, so it isn't terribly far away. The most common thing we hear in my community about The Villages is that the incidence of STDs is very high, so you will certainly find that in your search. I quickly note that I'm not saying that to besmirch the reputation of the community or those who live there, but just that's a commonly discussed topic about that community.

I do know people who have lived there, and also people who've gone down there to look around, they all say it's very nice. Well maintained, and certainly, as some of the above posts make note of, homogeneous.

You may find this interesting: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/florida/features/2013/oh_florida/the_villages_scandals_irs_stds_golf_carts_and_made _up_history.html

rnhood
12-20-2017, 07:21 PM
There is a lot of good riding in central Florida, all around the area you are looking at. The main disadvantage is the heat during the summer months (July and August in particular). Of course this is not a concern if you're a snowbird. And it's less a concern if you swim a lot, like I do. We have a 50m pool in Ormond (actually, 2 of them) and I love it here. But I only winter here for now.

My recommendation is to come stay a few days in 2 or 3 locations you are considering. There is nothing wrong with the Villages and central Florida, but there is nothing wrong with the coastal areas either. Take your time and experience the different areas.

rePhil
12-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Google STD's and the Villages.

Geographically I think it's a nice part of Florida, but that lifestyle is not for me.

Black Dog
12-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Geographically I think it's a nice part of Florida, but that lifestyle is not for me.

Hey now, even swingers have to retire somewhere too. ;)

chuckroast
12-20-2017, 08:26 PM
I'll echo what Ralph and some others have said. If you are thinking about retiring to Florida, don't limit your search to the Villages (although it is really attractive).

We came here 18 months ago and landed in Hernando County, north of Tampa, about 10 miles from the coast. The riding here is great, I think the summer heat concerns are overstated (you get used to it) and we see quite a diversity of people in our community.

They call this area in general the Nature Coast, it is physically attractive and there are good reasons so many people end up retiring to Florida.

merlinmurph
12-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Just made that decision, we're off to Charlottesville next fall, bought a house there last year.

We never made it into C'ville, but we were in the area and it was a gorgeous area with what looked like awesome riding.

I'm really getting a kick out of the whole STD thing with The Villages.

Is it possible to rent for some time to see if you like the concept? Might be worth a shot.

bthornt
12-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Gainesville is relatively close (maybe about an hour or so North) to The Villages, and they have a very active cycling club. They put on the Gainesville Cycling Festival, which normally consists of two century rides, the Horse Farm 100 (which I have done, very nice) and the Santa Fe century (haven't done it). Also, and I'm sure Keith A. (the moderator) can comment on this, there is the Cross Florida ride from Cocoa Beach to the West Coast of Florida, about 170 miles. I haven't done this ride, but I know several folks who have and they speak highly of it.

Buzz Killington
12-20-2017, 10:55 PM
I’d check out Del Boca Vista Phase III

Ralph
12-21-2017, 06:57 AM
In addition to my remarks above....My brother, retiring from a life in the NC mountains.....gave serious consideration to retiring in The Villages.....but he thought the location in N Central Florida was too far north and too cold. They have too many freezing nights in winter to suit him. So he went further south in Florida. I think the climate is great....I'll trade a few warm summer months...pool weather we call it after a early morning bike ride....or yard work....in exchange for cold winters further N. He did really like the rolling hills though. it is not flat. Different strokes and all that.....

oldpotatoe
12-21-2017, 07:29 AM

Jeff

We looked at an over 55 development east of Lyons..nice one story patio homes, lots of 'stuff' but I don't really want to live around 'people like me', age wise..gonna stay in the republic until my stoopid high home price won't allow me to pay my property taxes..:) Hello 'grandfather'..I'm SO happy I'm already on social security and medicare..if ya get my drift. BOHICA...

Fatty
12-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Jeff

That's what you say now. Wait a couple years.

msl819
12-21-2017, 09:40 AM
+1 on this

That's where I call home! Say what you will about college students but they bring a great energy to the town. They are the life blood of our town and we are better for it. Add to that, that they university offers events like intercollegiate athletics, fine arts, and educational programs for my kids and our town of roughly 20,000 feels much much larger while still being a moderately sized college town with large amenities down the interstate in either direction less than an hour. And just to rub it in we can easily ride 12 months out of the year (although summer is HOT), have access to 500 plus miles of paved roads in all directions and one of the better MTB trails in the South.

msl819
12-21-2017, 09:42 AM

But I wouldn't run for office. I hear it is hard to get the votes.

54ny77
12-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Don't forget to rock the Fleetwood. In style.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/f3/fb/97f3fba2b9bebed31bea44ded82d62ff.jpg

IFRider
12-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Art Vandelay Industries backs all the successful candidates ..

But I wouldn't run for office. I hear it is hard to get the votes.

C40_guy
12-21-2017, 10:01 AM
I need to be near water or least hills, we are retiring to the former on Narragansett bay, cold now but spring summer fall is wonderful!

Gorgeous part of the world. We recently "downsized", moving from metrowest Boston to Cape Cod.

We ended up in a larger house...we know that lots of people like to visit...so we downsized financially but grew our space. And I ended up with a dedicated bike/woodworking shop! Yay!

We've had as many as 12 people visiting for a weekend...just an awesome gathering place for friends and family!

I couldn't move to FL...land is flat, weather isn't my cup o' tea, not nearly as much culture/etc., as we find in New England...

sandyrs
12-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Gorgeous part of the world. We recently "downsized", moving from metrowest Boston to Cape Cod.

We ended up in a larger house...we know that lots of people like to visit...so we downsized financially but grew our space. And I ended up with a dedicated bike/woodworking shop! Yay!

We've had as many as 12 people visiting for a weekend...just an awesome gathering place for friends and family!

I couldn't move to FL...land is flat, weather isn't my cup o' tea, not nearly as much culture/etc., as we find in New England...

Moving to the Cape seems like an especially sensible move if you ride off-road a lot. It's crazy how much more trail time per year you get (almost 100% of it) than we do up near Boston (where we lose MTB trails for at least 3 months most years). I'm 27 though so I don't really know anything about retirement :)

Fatty
12-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Moving to the Cape seems like an especially sensible move if you ride off-road a lot. It's crazy how much more trail time per year you get (almost 100% of it) than we do up near Boston (where we lose MTB trails for at least 3 months most years). I'm 27 though so I don't really know anything about retirement :)

I was younger than 27 when I started thinking about / planning my retirement.

The earlier you start that thought process the quicker you'll get it done.

C40_guy
12-21-2017, 10:29 AM

I'm just over 2X your age and I have no plans to retire! :) I work for a company that doesn't care where I live, as long as I can get to an airport. And my work mostly involves talking with people about really interesting stuff. Oh, and they pay me to do this. :)

With regard to our move...at one point our realtor commented "behind that yellow gate, there's some conservation land." I really didn't know what she was talking about, but if I had, I would have told her to only show us houses within walking distance of that gate.

We did end up within walking distance of that gate, which leads to 1100 acres of the most beautiful singletrack, wide trails and more. Lots of climbing opportunities, technical sections, etc.

I do a lot of trail running and 'cross riding on these trails, along with some MTBing.

And the local NEMBA chapter is active in trail maintenance.

And in the other direction, we've got a good sized pond where I'm learning to kayak. :)

Yea, we were quite fortunate!

shovelhd
12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Well if he's going to get drunk and have orgies every day, maybe he'd like that with younger people. :)

C40_guy
12-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Yep. Doesn't take a *lot* of thinking, at first.

Put 20% (or more) of your paycheck into a retirement vehicle -- 401K, IRA, etc., Automate it so you don't have to think about it. Don't get fancy...invest in a couple of mutual funds or ETFs that provide broad market exposure. (Not Bitcoin :) )

Your goal is to just let that run for 30 years, accumulating investments and leveraging compound interest.

If you need some motivation, consider this:

If you invest $X annually for your first five years in the workforce, you will have as much money as you would if you waited five years and then invested that same $X annually for the rest of your working career.

Getting an early start is the most powerful thing you can do.

I wish I had known that when I was young... I did make sure that my kids graduated high school with retirement accounts already established, along with the habit of putting money into those accounts every year!

Lewis Moon
12-21-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm 60 and lived in a quasi retirement community (Gold Canyon, AZ) for 10 years, then moved about 1.5 miles away from AZ State Uni. Best move I have EVER made. Ever. I like being around a young, smart, diverse population.

alancw3
12-21-2017, 11:05 AM
lived and worked (realtor) on marco island for 15 years and then naples for 5 years. heard all the stories, both positive and negative about the villages as far back as the early 90's. i think the thing about std's running rampart in the villages is a by product of a 60 minutes segment way back like 20 years ago on 55+ people having sexual relationships and sensationalized their story by mentioning the villages. so i would discount that completely.

for me it boils down to two things that would preclude my living in the villages. #1: weather. many of nights in the thirties and days in the forties there in winter. cold compared to south florida. #2: proximity to the beach. i would think that the closest beach would be cedar key, which is like a 1 hour + ride. if these two items aren't important to you then i would certainly give it a try. perhaps try a rental for a year. i do think it would be a plus to know other people that live there.

i know several people, both single and couples, that live there and they all love it because it satisfies their needs. so question becomes what are you looking for in a retirement location? these people enjoy having something to do most every night i.e. plays, concert dancing under the stars, cards etc. you name it they have it. it is my understanding that the villages fulfills those wants.

you may what to read dave barry's book "best state ever" he actually devotes an entire chapter to the villages in which he gives his impression after staying there several nights. i think his assessment is spot on:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-State-Ever-Florida-Homeland/dp/1101982608

jlwdm
12-21-2017, 12:16 PM

I don't see why it would change. I like living in an active community with people of all ages. I may be 70 but I don't let age affect how I lead my life. I ride my bike a lot (off to my first Iron Horse Classic this year) and this month attended my first full weekend of high performance driving classes. My next weekend classes are in February.

I work a lot but mainly because I work for myself and like what I do.

Jeff

Dirtdiggler
12-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Santos trails are close by. My in-laws live in Stonecrest, close by the Villages.

C40_guy
12-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Well if he's going to get drunk and have orgies every day, maybe he'd like that with younger people. :)

I would too...but my wife keeps hiding the keys to the golf cart!

azrider
12-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Wow...definitely wish I hadn't of done that. Thanks for nothing :p;)

cnighbor1
12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
If you locate in say woodland CA you get nice weather all year long and avoid most of the high home cost closer in to SF

NHAero
12-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Are you near the Trail of Tears area between exits 4 and 5? Great riding!

I'm just over 2X your age and I have no plans to retire! :) I work for a company that doesn't care where I live, as long as I can get to an airport. And my work mostly involves talking with people about really interesting stuff. Oh, and they pay me to do this. :)

With regard to our move...at one point our realtor commented "behind that yellow gate, there's some conservation land." I really didn't know what she was talking about, but if I had, I would have told her to only show us houses within walking distance of that gate.

We did end up within walking distance of that gate, which leads to 1100 acres of the most beautiful singletrack, wide trails and more. Lots of climbing opportunities, technical sections, etc.

I do a lot of trail running and 'cross riding on these trails, along with some MTBing.

And the local NEMBA chapter is active in trail maintenance.

And in the other direction, we've got a good sized pond where I'm learning to kayak. :)

Yea, we were quite fortunate!

Climb01742
12-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Art Vandelay Industries backs all the successful candidates ..

Sounds like no one is master of their domain at The Villages.

sandyrs
12-21-2017, 04:59 PM

I already have a financial advisor, have contributed to a 401(k) for five years, etc. I really just meant I don't know what it's like to *be* retired.

C40_guy
12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Are you near the Trail of Tears area between exits 4 and 5? Great riding!

Less than two miles away, if I take the road. One mile by trail. :)

Yes, some great riding!

sandyrs
12-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Less than two miles away, if I take the road. One mile by trail. :)

Yes, some great riding!

Nice. I’ve ridden Nickerson, Otis, Willow St and Badlands. ToT is next on the list!

mcteague
12-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Ha, beat me to it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c4/04/4e/c4044ebd37092f8d389047a1a2c9ad07.jpg

Tim

SpeedyChix
12-22-2017, 02:25 PM

+1 on this. I don't think I could deal with places like the Villages. Too "set off" and a "sameness". For some, places like the Villages offer a kind of security, lots of activities nearby, structure and expectations.

Where we are in Michigan meets all the long-term wants apart from less winter : ) Where we are now: low living expenses, housing costs are lower then some of the larger cities here, super easy access to back road and mountain biking, generally quiet and friendly neighbors. Diverse community and close to a major university. We have started to use it more of a base to travel from.Easy to go north for better XC skiing or to the UP for incredible mtb riding. South or SW for warmer temps to hike, bike, etc. Working well so far. In time we may find a great place that we'd consider relocating to when we scale back a bit more.

bigbill
12-22-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm looking at where to live if The Boy gets into the Naval Academy. I'm certain that I don't want to stay here even with a good paying job. I'm a retired Naval Officer with a VA pension as well, I can retire when I decide I don't need as much money. My dad lives in Sun City, AZ, I'm certain I don't want that, the tight living arrangements and the summers. Florida and South Texas check the boxes for me, no state taxes and climate.

For diversity, I don't care what the people around me look like, but I'm a fan of the 55+ community. I like quiet, I like sleeping with my windows open on cool nights, and a close group of friends with friendly waves to those I don't know.

oldguy00
12-22-2017, 03:59 PM
My inlaws (here in Canada) rent a house in the villages for 3-4 months a year. We have visited a couple of times on our way to Disney. I think it is a really really nice area, appears to be very well kept, lots of activities, etc.
Each time I was there I went running in the mornings and saw lots of cyclists.

I have also read about the STD thing.....lol.....well, at least they are having fun!

They drive to get there, but once there, the car is unused and they go everywhere in a golf cart, kind of cool.

Spaghetti Legs
12-22-2017, 11:57 PM

Great choice! Used to live there, but now an hour south. Drop me a line when you get there I’ll show you where to ride.

soulspinner
12-23-2017, 07:00 AM
the upside is you'll finally be able to use a 53/39.

or even go old fashioned (no pun intended) and use a 52/42.

;)

haha. Guess I need to go where its flat when I retire. 53/39 with a 25 out back hurts in the fingerlakes:bike: full disclosure Im 61.

Ralph
12-23-2017, 07:29 AM
It may look flat around the Villages....but it's not. If one of those back roads goes up one of those sand hills for 1/8 to a 1/4 mile....it goes straight up. Sometimes 10-15% grades. No land gets wasted in orange grove territory with curving roads. It is accurate to say it's mostly "gentle" rolling hills. The Villages is not exactly in what most call Central Florida....it's kinda N of that area. Terrain nothing like the beach areas or Disney area where many have visited. More similar to rolling hill areas of Alabama, Georgia, SC, etc. It freezes at the Villages in winter.....so plant life not tropical like more south of there.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm looking at where to live if The Boy gets into the Naval Academy. I'm certain that I don't want to stay here even with a good paying job. I'm a retired Naval Officer with a VA pension as well, I can retire when I decide I don't need as much money. My dad lives in Sun City, AZ, I'm certain I don't want that, the tight living arrangements and the summers. Florida and South Texas check the boxes for me, no state taxes and climate.

For diversity, I don't care what the people around me look like, but I'm a fan of the 55+ community. I like quiet, I like sleeping with my windows open on cool nights, and a close group of friends with friendly waves to those I don't know.

Thank you for your service!!

Spend 19 months in Beeville(South Texas)..yee gads, you been there in the summer?

Also Pensacola and Tampa..Pensacola I liked a lot(except for the occasional hurricane:eek:)..Tampa, not so much, really hard to ride there, but really nice beaches.....IMHO.

Virginia Beach?...If I could choose(which I can't, thanks wife), I would choose ocean over mountains..and no cold, snow, boo-hiss(about 9 degrees right now).

bitpuddle
12-23-2017, 08:40 AM
We never made it into C'ville, but we were in the area and it was a gorgeous area with what looked like awesome riding.

The riding is really nice around there (beautiful part of the country) and it can be cheap to live in western Virginia.

Drmojo
12-23-2017, 08:54 AM
The takeaway for me:
live where you love
love where you live
Me; I hane lived in 7 states in this country
OR
CA
VA
OH
IL
MN
AK
I loved them all for very different reasons
But rode my bike everyplace
I am now stuck in a flat college town and love it.
Although have very fond memories of Charlottesville VA
Wherever y’all land
keep riding
and posting
geography is destiny

glepore
12-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Great choice! Used to live there, but now an hour south. Drop me a line when you get there I’ll show you where to ride.

Will do. Already know the Backbone - Reeds Gap loop. Ouch.

thwart
12-23-2017, 03:12 PM
+1 on this. I don't think I could deal with places like the Villages. Too "set off" and a "sameness". For some, places like the Villages offer a kind of security, lots of activities nearby, structure and expectations.

Where we are in Michigan meets all the long-term wants apart from less winter : ) Where we are now: low living expenses, housing costs are lower then some of the larger cities here, super easy access to back road and mountain biking, generally quiet and friendly neighbors. Diverse community and close to a major university. We have started to use it more of a base to travel from. Easy to go north for better XC skiing or to the UP for incredible mtb riding. South or SW for warmer temps to hike, bike, etc. Working well so far. In time we may find a great place that we'd consider relocating to when we scale back a bit more.

Agree with all of this, but from the cheesehead state next door.

Visit in-laws fairly frequently who retired to Peachtree City, GA... which sounds a little bit like The Villages but with diverse ages. Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Sort of like saddles... what works for one may not work well at all for another.

bob heinatz
12-23-2017, 03:30 PM
I am retiring in one week on 12/29. Live in the Williamette Valley and we have everything right here. Great biking, hiking, ocean, mountains ect. Love where I live and will enjoy retirement here.

rePhil
12-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement.

I am retiring in one week on 12/29. Live in the Williamette Valley and we have everything right here. Great biking, hiking, ocean, mountains ect. Love where I live and will enjoy retirement here.

weisan
12-23-2017, 04:27 PM

http://www.oregonwinecountry.org/images/header-rotation/salem-story-header.jpg

Ralph
12-23-2017, 04:59 PM
One of the reasons people retire to over 55 communities.....like "The Villages"....is they make comfortable retirement possible for many people. Perhaps that larger size home you raised your kids in is now paid for......maybe in a expensive real estate area. And now you want a small home....in the 1500-1800 square foot range, and maybe one with a 3 (or 4) car garage, maybe no pool this time...but a screened over patio. Maybe simple landscaping, where some one else does all the yard work for you. And maybe you don't want to pay over $200,000-$250,000 (cash) for that. Maybe have a couple hundred thousand (or more) left over from the sale of your larger more expensive home for investment income....making retirement possible. Or maybe to buy a motor home....so you can stay on the road 4-6 months of the year. They have places to store and park those. You can do that in The Villages. That's the kind of homes one can buy cheap there. Although most are 3/2 with 2 car garage....plenty of those small homes have more garage and work shop space. Or even smaller less expensive patio size homes for a base home while you travel. That's who moves there. Most folks there have same plans for their leisure time as you do. It's not like a retirement or old folks home. it's more like a bunch of mid to late 50's athletes...or 60's and 70's athletes. Whatever athletic event you like to do....in a place with over 100,000 residents...not too hard to find people just like you. It's not like some of you are saying about just a bunch of old people sitting around to die. It may not be for you.....but check out their web site (and others like them) for info. I'm not sure it's for me either...but it is for my brother. He wants a small 2 person home with great room plus guest room home with lots of garage space. Not hard to find there....cause lots of people build and want that there.

bob heinatz
12-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Rephil thank you. Weisan I am not sure where that picture was taken but it certainly looks like the Willamette Valley. Great colors.